Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Terra Invicta - sci-fi grand strategy from Long War mod creators - now available on Early Access

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
At least we have Alliance of the Sacred Suns coming.

Right?

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/terrainvicta/terra-invicta/posts/3449614
Terra Invicta March update

Hey everyone,

IMPORTANT: For our Pre-Order and Premium Pre-Order tiers, sometime soon we'll be sending out a Kickstarter survey to get information for our credits and how to get you your game key. Please keep an eye out and respond promptly so there are no delays in getting you your rewards!

... Updates may get a little more irregular going forward; we’re in our push to get the game across the finish line. We’re getting there, but there’s still more to do with improving the AI, adding content, and getting fun stuff like modding and Steam achievements in place.

One of the major things that is happening now is balancing – making sure the various tools we are providing the player and the AI are priced according to their utility and, more importantly, don’t break the game wide open – either fully solving problems for the player we don’t want to see fully solved, or creating insurmountable obstacles for other players -- AI or human.

Some of this is simple re-pricing of things. Ultraviolet lasers have proven quite strong in combat, even moreso when augmented by a battleship full of laser engine utility modules that boost their power. Over time, we’ve increased the research cost to unlock them. We also scaled back the power bonuses provided by the laser engines.

In other cases, we’ve need to add new mechanics. We had some instances of runaway control of Earth’s nations by our clever Alpha and Beta backers. To rein that in, we developed a mechanic that imposes penalties on your influence income if you exert control over too many nations -- especially powerful ones. You can increase the cap of nations you can control via research (so you can run a bigger transnational empire as the game goes on), or try to maintain sufficient influence income to absorb the penalties.

This has worked well – changes in national control have occurred at a more deliberate pace, and the world ends up better divided into somewhat more stable ideological blocs, which is how we want things. But it does present some complications: Previously, we didn’t really have a mechanism to deliberately give up control of a nation, but now players are asking for a way to either do that or otherwise take steps to reduce their burden.

The AI has also gotten itself into trouble a few times with its influence – some enterprising players have found ways to get the AI more nations than it can handle, putting it a downward spiral it has trouble coming back from.

So as soon as I send this message we’ll be starting on a mechanic to handle that – the first route we’ll test is letting players disable much of their own control within a nation, forgoing its benefits and making it ripe for another faction to steal. We’ll need to train the AI to do that, as well – it will need to both assess when it’s in trouble and plan the best way out of it.

Anyhow, that’s just a snapshot of some of the work that’s going on to ensure we get you a challenging and balanced game. As always, thank you for your support.

- The Terra Invicta team

61ca5c758c1d604a5292b33ed37c6fbe_original.png

The ISS and Tiangong orbit Earth in this image that's completely unrelated to the update

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/terrainvicta/terra-invicta/posts/3527752
Release date update and Terra Invicta demo coming soon

Two important updates:

1) We are moving Terra Invicta's release window to the second half of 2022.

2) We are preparing a demo for Steam Next Fest, which starts next Monday. We haven't picked the exact date it will be available - possibly earlier. We will post another update when it goes live. The demo will be accessible through Terra Invicta's Steam page. Only on PC and in English.

It will cover the first 7 years of a campaign. You can only play as the Resistance. Some additional content will also be removed to keep the download size reasonable and hold back a lot of spoilery stuff. We are planning to make skirmish mode available for small space battles with a few ships on each side. Saving campaigns will also be disabled.

this game looks pretty cool, anybody know when it releases if it will be an actual release or will it then go into 'early access' for the next decade in a half?

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/terrainvicta/terra-invicta/posts/3527752
Release date update and Terra Invicta demo coming soon

Two important updates:

1) We are moving Terra Invicta's release window to the second half of 2022.

2) We are preparing a demo for Steam Next Fest, which starts next Monday. We haven't picked the exact date it will be available - possibly earlier. We will post another update when it goes live. The demo will be accessible through Terra Invicta's Steam page. Only on PC and in English.

It will cover the first 7 years of a campaign. You can only play as the Resistance. Some additional content will also be removed to keep the download size reasonable and hold back a lot of spoilery stuff. We are planning to make skirmish mode available for small space battles with a few ships on each side. Saving campaigns will also be disabled.
Saving campaigns will be disabled? That seems pretty harsh for a demo... Unless 7 years is like an hour of playtime, which I doubt?

astrosmurf

Novice
Trash is a little harsh. The tutorial explains the buttons and the mechanics, but it's like there are two tutorials playing at the same time. I think the problem with the game is that it seems to be a very long time of build-up before you will be able to do anything interesting. (E.g. go to space.)

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Trash is a little harsh. The tutorial explains the buttons and the mechanics, but it's like there are two tutorials playing at the same time. I think the problem with the game is that it seems to be a very long time of build-up before you will be able to do anything interesting. (E.g. go to space.)
It feels like there's more than two tutorials running at a time, as the tutorial objectives don't seem laid out in a logical order and there's the presumably normal new game stuff happening.

Games like this always tend to be pretty daunting as well, right from the start you've got 100+ countries, each with their own stats and there's no great overview of which ones are important. I gained control of one country and that let me pick one of like 30 options for how to run it, but I have no idea what any of them do.

I also played a skirmish but I have even less idea what is going on there and I got completely annihilated with the default settings.

Axioms

Arcane
Developer
It feels like there's more than two tutorials running at a time, as the tutorial objectives don't seem laid out in a logical order and there's the presumably normal new game stuff happening.

Games like this always tend to be pretty daunting as well, right from the start you've got 100+ countries, each with their own stats and there's no great overview of which ones are important. I gained control of one country and that let me pick one of like 30 options for how to run it, but I have no idea what any of them do.

I also played a skirmish but I have even less idea what is going on there and I got completely annihilated with the default settings.
Wait how ar skirmishes different?

Manfred

Literate
For those interested in watching some proper gameplay, if you missed the demo, I would recommend Parungaming . He is the only youtuber I have seen who didn't waffle around trying to get their head around the controls, just followed a strategy he set for himself and went from there, as he did all the waffling pre-recording.

Alpharius

Scholar
Watched that one
For those interested in watching some proper gameplay, if you missed the demo, I would recommend Parungaming . He is the only youtuber I have seen who didn't waffle around trying to get their head around the controls, just followed a strategy he set for himself and went from there, as he did all the waffling pre-recording.

Thanks, watched the whole thing.

Seems like this will be a great game.

The only thing i didnt like is how easy it is to change diplomatic relations between countries, declare war and occupy territory with little to no conequences, even if if you're not attacking with Russia or other third world dictatorship. The population of both the attacker and the defender and other countries dont seem to mind unless they were allied with the defender (and all it takes is one turn do go from allied to netural). Only the other factions do mind. Would have preffered its to be more complex, at least like in europa universalis or hoi or something.

Though perhaps if war was difficult to pull of then no one would have bothered with it.

Joggerino

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
Looks like we missed the demo :despair:
https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1176470/view/3352380820071950601
Demo Released!
Demo out today, release delayed to later this year

Hi everyone!

We have exciting news today -- A Terra Invicta Demo, allowing you to play through the first 7 years of the campaign, is now available for download on the Steam page.

The Demo does have some limitations: you can only play as the Resistance, you won't be able to save/load, and some alien lore and stuff is removed to prevent spoilers as to the nature of the alien threat.

It's something of a soft launch; we're putting the demo out early in part to hear if anyone hits any major issues during play, so we can go in and fix them early in the demo period. We've tested and tested, but sometimes things slip through. Feel free to let us know how things are going!

In terms of release, we are delaying for a bit longer, but the game is still coming this year, and we think the demo will showcase how well the game has come together. But polish and balance are critical for a strategy game especially, so the dev team will be hard at work making sure Terra Invicta lives up to your expectations.
It looks like the demo is out there in the pirate space, and apparently some leaks too...

Last edited:

Modron

Arcane
I still got the demo installed, steam says I am not supposed to be able to play it but it still runs from directory. Haven't really delved into yet but I should since it's a hefty sized demo at 15 gigs.

Axioms

Arcane
Developer
I think this game will have the same problems at launch that it had back in the nextfest demo. They, and Hooded Horse, have no idea how to produce a goof tutorial and a good UI.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
I think this game will have the same problems at launch that it had back in the nextfest demo. They, and Hooded Horse, have no idea how to produce a goof tutorial and a good UI.
To be fair, CK2 also has a bad tutorial and a hard to learn ui. Not quite as bad as this perhaps, but still. I only got into CK2 after reading some lets play, and I guess for this game there will be an infinity of youtubers/streamers making beginners guides. I'm fine with indie devs outsourcing some of the learning process to unpaid tutors.

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
A bad tutorial might not be a huge issue with good tooltips (and good UI overall). Battle Brothers have basically no tutorial, and it got little complains.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom