Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Terrible voice acting

Menckenstein

Lunacy of Caen: Todd Reaver

And the mother of them all:

LundB @Agent Orange

LundB

Mistakes were made.
Some things should remain in CDS. The poor innocent ears of Codexers don't deserve to suffer through that Chaos Wars VA.

dnf

Pedophile
Dumbfuck Shitposter
"Take this weapon, its very powerful against living things" :lol:

"But how about you Barry?"

"I have This : :mhd: "

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Carlo from Arx Fatalis.

Couldn't find any decent videos to show as examples, but his voice makes me cringe.

Gerrard

Arcane
People who think voice acting in Deus Ex is bad never watched a Sony/Nintendo press conference.

DemonKing

Arcane
Anything that features Steve Blum - His voice turns up in so many video games and he never seems to vary it at all that I find it incredibly jarring (he uses the same tone and delivery whether he is a GI in WW2, a dwarven merchant or a star ship captain). At least Jennifer Hale manages to produce some distinct work that when I hear Bastilla I'm not automatically reminded of FemShep.

Whisky

The Solution
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera
The funny thing about the Chaos War one is that apparently the VAs are all the CEO's family members. They made the English voice acting so cheap because they knew the only English players who would buy it would be weeaboos and they would just switch to Japanese VAs anyway.

Also, Uru's a character from Shadow Hearts, and his name was already previously localized as Yuri. Gotta love effort.

And my submission:

There's more in-game sound clips here that are better.

Hirato

Purse-Owner
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
A Japanese game with an English localisation which has terrible voice acting? How is that not the norm/expected?

My submission: Prince of Qin, I have no favourite "worst cutscenes" so here's a pair of random ones I found on youtube.

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Anything that features Steve Blum - His voice turns up in so many video games and he never seems to vary it at all that I find it incredibly jarring (he uses the same tone and delivery whether he is a GI in WW2, a dwarven merchant or a star ship captain). At least Jennifer Hale manages to produce some distinct work that when I hear Bastilla I'm not automatically reminded of FemShep.
He actually has an extremely diverse voice, and has done acting for kids' shows, anime characters, etc. The problem is that he's usually employed to do grizzled-sounding dudes, and his particular brand of grizzled-sounding dude also happens to be a) very close to his normal speaking voice and b) very distinctive.

deuxhero

Arcane
Shenmue 1/2, Way of the Samurai 2, Baten Kaitos: Eternal Wings and the Ocean and the Ace Combat series.

I can understand English voice actors in Japan being used for minor foreigner characters (to avoid horrendous Engrish) and the odd announcer, but I can never understand why any company would choose to do the ENTIRE English dub of a voice heavy game in Japan

(Metal Wolf Chaos is also a case of a Japanese English dub, but the game is intentionally ridiculous and the ham covers up the lack of acting)

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
I can think of a few more: Bayonetta, God Hand, Vanquish amd Deadly Premonition.

Edit: That is, games that only have English voice acting even though they were made in Japan. It makes sense- B, GH and V are all by pretty much the same people and they like campy action movies from America and DP is basically a homage to Twin Peaks.

sexbad?

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
I've been playing Mars: War Logs, and the voices are so joyously bad. I will need to find or make a video highlighting the acting.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Anything that features Steve Blum - His voice turns up in so many video games and he never seems to vary it at all that I find it incredibly jarring (he uses the same tone and delivery whether he is a GI in WW2, a dwarven merchant or a star ship captain).

Yup, there was only one game which genuinely surprised me because it featured Blum and I didn't recognise him, and that was Jedi Outcast. I was stunned when I learnt that ol' Steve voiced Galak Fyaar, the imperial admiral. I mean, he still has GRIMDARK VOICE, but it's so very different from other things that are instant Blum-detectors.

And while on the subject of Outcast, I was left even more perplexed when I read that Katarn was voiced by Johnny Bravo...

Cosmo

Arcane
Project: Eternity
English Call of Pripyat.

:dance:

And i just played the beginning of Beyond Divinity and let me tell you : that death knight's voice is really something from out of this world... :lol:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom