Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Elder Scrolls TES Skyrim: A quick 20 hour restrospective

How many times have you purchased Skyrim?

• Total voters

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
20 hour video analysis of Todd Howard lore.
Let's go.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
Opened up, he is streaming the video
Didn't complete the Mage Quest back when I played Skyrim
But the detail that Psijic Order are possibly responsible to debuff magic in Tamriel and are trying to prevent anyone from "reviving" magic as it was in the 3rd Era, is a neat explanation why Magic in Skyrim isn't as OP as in Morrowind

Bad Sector

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Will be interesting to see what he does now that he has talked about all of TES (assuming he continues to ignore daggerfall and arena, which I expect he will).

IIRC from a stream i happened to watch some time ago when he was still uploading them to his main channel (i think he now has a secondary channel for those but i can't say i found the streams that interesting overall) he said he might do a video that covers both of them in the future.

S.torch

Arbiter
I like how he just said (College of Winterhold part) that Skyrim is a game designed around dudebros and makes magic characters a chore to play, aside from them being a poor option to play when compared to the other playstyles.

Wow, I can't even play Skyrim for 20 hours...

Also,

Here is a quick summary : "skyrim is TES dumbed down for low IQ/low attention span console peasants"

Here's a better version: Skyrim is a dumbed down version of TES which is itself a dumbed down version of far better games (UUW and U7:TBG).

Moaning_Clock

SmokeSomeFrogs
Developer
I watched the Morrowind video (which was fantastic and made me like Morrowind even more) and the Oblivion one (which was also a great video but I liked the first one more - the first is rougher and full of weird memes and truly a labor of love). It's great to watch these while working. Looking forward to watch the Skyrim retrospective somewhen in the future. Enough for a quick work session.

Morroweird

Educated
I tuned in for some time and the Patrician was rightfully bashing the Thief's Guild (or was is the Dark Brotherhood) questlines, including nonsensical character motivations for key players.

Make me thing he is more of a story/lore chronicler than desing analyst or big-picture essayist.

Bad Sector

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Make me thing he is more of a story/lore chronicler than desing analyst or big-picture essayist.

He also covers mechanics a lot, i've only watched the first ~1:20h of the first video so far but almost 2/3rd of the "P2.0" section (the first "Companions" part) was about the Werewolf mechanics (with some minor comparison with Morrowind's Bloodmoon mechanics). I think he covers mechanics a lot too and he has made several playthroughs for the video to figure out how (and if) they differ with different characters.

But yeah he also does point out several issues with writing when he encounters them (e.g. the "antagonists" for the Companions) as well as speculation (based on his research) about how it ended up like that.

Funposter

Arcane
I'm about eight hours in after a few sessions of watching, and it's a good review so far. The critique of the magic system is especially important. All known issues, but finally explained by a reviewer in-depth.

quixotic

Learned
Watched the whole thing. (in chunks of course)
I think it’s his best video, it’s really well structured and researched. Despite how long it is, it didn’t FEEL that long.

Chippy

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
You guys have to admit that if Bethesda ever create a bug free game, and a system that allows for mods to be installed without conflict & bugs - Todd Howard is gonna be richer than Jeff Bezos.

That'll never happen, but still; I'm sure they're working on it...

Also I only bought this once and missed out on the participation award to get the improved edition. So never bought it again.

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
You guys have to admit that if Bethesda ever create a bug free game, and a system that allows for mods to be installed without conflict & bugs - Todd Howard is gonna be richer than Jeff Bezos.

Also I only bought this once and missed out on the participation award to get the improved edition. So never bought it again.
There's a lot things people complain about when they talk about TES games, and bugs are a minority of the conversation.
A bug free Skyrim is still a Skyrim that has lame fetch/kill quests, gutted dialogue system on par with fucking Diablo, guild and main quests that don't acknowledge each other's states much, level scaling of enemies and items that are unintuitive (leveling fast is bad, doing your build's desired quests first is bad), one of the worst melee systems of any major game (which somehow still is the best of any TES game), and so on.

Watching this review did make me want to play Skyrim again, though. What are some good mods that won't drastically alter the game, but will make playing a mage fun?

Harthwain

Magister
I tuned in for some time and the Patrician was rightfully bashing the Thief's Guild (or was is the Dark Brotherhood) questlines, including nonsensical character motivations for key players.

Actually, he IS a big-picture guy and design analytic.

While he is covering the story/lore a lot (and for good reasons) it also allows him to discuss games' mechanics/design as he encounters them. The whole categorization of the video by factions is merely to provide a logical structure. It may not be the best if you're looking to hear about specific mechanics/design elements, but that's how he does it and he is able to make it work.

He is the second guy who can talk about any topic in the game and remains interesting, no matter the topic. The first guy being Ross from Game Dungeon (Accursed Farms channel). I mean, the last thing Ross talked about was hoverboarding. Hover. Boarding. These guys just have enough thought/character for this kind of content. It's a shame they don't make videos as often as I'd like them to. But that's the price you have to pay for quality, I guess.

Chippy

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

There's a lot things people complain about when they talk about TES games, and bugs are a minority of the conversation.
A bug free Skyrim is still a Skyrim that has lame fetch/kill quests, gutted dialogue system on par with fucking Diablo, guild and main quests that don't acknowledge each other's states much, level scaling of enemies and items that are unintuitive (leveling fast is bad, doing your build's desired quests first is bad), one of the worst melee systems of any major game (which somehow still is the best of any TES game), and so on.

Watching this review did make me want to play Skyrim again, though. What are some good mods that won't drastically alter the game, but will make playing a mage fun?

You should read the "Improving Skyrim/recommended mod thread (mostly about Requiem)". Here...it seems it's mostly about Requiem. I still need to get to that.

It's not a review, reviews are a critic giving his opinion for undecided people on whether they should play it or not, so in that case it's supposed to be somewhat short since the reader is not interested enough to go and see it for himself yet.

Ravielsk

Magister
What are some good mods that won't drastically alter the game, but will make playing a mage fun?
Enderal.
I like how he just said (College of Winterhold part) that Skyrim is a game designed around dudebros and makes magic characters a chore to play, aside from them being a poor option to play when compared to the other playstyles.
More like that there is obviously no one at Bethesda who really understand(or cares) how magic works in their own game and so its designed more like a supplement for melee rather than a fully functional playstyle.

Unwanted
Dumbfuck
Watching this review did make me want to play Skyrim again
Shiiieeet so that be how it is. Ya'll love Skyrim so much you'd sit through a 20 hour Todd Howard fanfic reading. 20 hours be nothin when you got like 80000 hours clocked in Skyrim already. Todd better release Starfield soon so B-boys like you can obsess over something new so theres some variety to all this fuckin pole smoking. The fat nerd making these vids is gonna have to spend like 100 hours minimum to cover all those planets.

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
Watching this review did make me want to play Skyrim again
Shiiieeet so that be how it is. Ya'll love Skyrim so much you'd sit through a 20 hour Todd Howard fanfic reading. 20 hours be nothin when you got like 80000 hours clocked in Skyrim already. Todd better release Starfield soon so B-boys like you can obsess over something new so theres some variety to all this fuckin pole smoking. The fat nerd making these vids is gonna have to spend like 100 hours minimum to cover all those planets.
Why are you mad about people wanting to play video games?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom