Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Tetris Effect - Out Now on PC

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Searched but didn't see a console thread too bump. Out today on the "Epic" Game Store. I have purchased it much to the butthurt of some I'm sure, and it's a very nice port I think. Assuming you use a controller anyway, which my god why would you not. I'm playing it at 200% internal resolution scaling from 1440p (so like 5k) and it's super smooth on a 2070. Turn the AA off though, it's blur city and you don't need it.

Game is basically "what if we turned Tetris style and backgrouns into Lumines ones" and I dig that about it. Certainly a billion times better than other recent PC versions.

passerby

Arcane
From the comments:

Obviously, in case some people felt misled by the title, we're talking about the VR version of Tetris Effect which uses SteamVR. If you run the game in 2D, Steam will not run. Just wanted to make this clear.

The port itself is good and the article confirms it.

Last edited:

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I still play Tetris DX on my Gameboy Color when I'm taking a shit. Is there anything about this that makes it worth £25.59, reduced from £31.99? That seems fucking absurdly expensive

It's basically Tetris mixed with Lumines. Lots of cool backgrounds and music tracks, which you collect and use in other modes. Those are the only real reason to play this over any other Tetris IMO. I really dig that about Lumines though, which is why I dig this.

Gerrard

Arcane
I've seen some footage of this game, playing it in VR looked like a guaranteed way to headaches or epilepsy.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Imagine paying 30 bucks for an "hipsterized" version when the original is free and is much better to boot:

And, this is supposed to be good music?

Just when i thought hipsters couldn't beat in decline here comes the zoomer generation.

thesecret1

Arcane
I'm waiting for the time when people play the newest AAA Tetris game (with roguelike elements and crafting) while dissing the original for bad graphics

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron

very-emotional-old-man-screams-on-a-gray-background-picture-id491732206

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Imagine paying 30 bucks for an "hipsterized" version when the original is free and is much better to boot:

Just when i thought hipsters couldn't beat in decline here comes the zoomer generation.

Straight outta 1998:

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
I posted awhile back the reasons Tetris why is probably the closest thing to a perfect game:

Well, a strong argument could be made that Tetris is the closest thing to the "perfect game".
  • It's concept and appeal are universal: the extremely simple premise and presentation of the game, means anyone can understand and play it; there's no barrier of any kind to this game, because there's simply no human element to it - no story, no cultural references or concepts, just blocks falling down (even a game like pac-man has a human layer to it, the ghosts/fruits, which means if the player comes from a civilization that has no notion about these ideas, he won't recognize the ghosts as threats and the fruits nourishment) - so for example, if aliens were to land on Earth after humankind disappeared, Tetris would be the videogame they would have the easiest time understanding.
  • It's the one of the few videogames (if not the only one) where you can't modify it's fundamental gameplay mechanics and still have a interesting and functional game, because the mechanics are just that tightly designed: if you take out the ability to rotate the pieces, then the game won't work; if you remove the piece randomizer, then the players can learn a pattern and break the game; if you remove the scoring system then there's no reason for people to continue to play and coming and coming back to it after a few rounds; if the gravity acted independently for each piece, then it would be very difficult for the player to loose; if the game doesn't speed up with each level then there's nothing to challenge the players;
  • The 4 blocks pieces are a perfect set: if the pieces had only 3 blocks the game would be to simple to be satisfying, as there's only 2 possible combinations; if the pieces had 5 blocks the game would be to complex, as there would be too many combinations, the way the pieces are set would result in a lot of horizontal sliding (which the game isn't aiming at) and finally it would be unnecessarily off-putting with all the irregular shapes.
  • Guarranted to be challenging: the inevitable failure means any player, no matter how good he/she is, will always be pushed to a challenging situation.
The most subjective aspect about Tetris, it's is music. But then again the music is clearly not integral to the game experience and supposed to serve as a backing music (the fact the original GameBoy music is catchy did help in this regard)

very-emotional-old-man-screams-on-a-gray-background-picture-id491732206

He's right though. That music IS shit.
But then again the version of the original LS posted doesn't have the only music theme Tetris needs:

Even the Russian Folk Song that Tetris takes from would've been a better fit:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom