Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Completed Text adventures ahoy! Let's 100% Frederik Pohl's GATEWAY!

lightbane

Arcane
What, no deaths on this update? :decline:

Just kidding :love:

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Johannes said:
> take off spacesuit

To remove the spacesuit would mean certain death.

Unfortunately, the game just won't let us die this way. :/
I might remember wrong but I think you can leave the ship without putting on the suit and die.

Nope, alas:

> open hatch

You shouldn't open the hatch when you're not wearing your space suit and there is a vacuum outside.

:decline:

Crooked Bee

Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Update 8: Green badge and Aleph Four

08gateway003.png

Alright, Terri told us she'd meet us at Blue Hell Bar in half an hour, so here we are.

Terri says, "Congratulations. You've demonstrated some skill at prospecting, and you've met the criteria I've established as the threshold for the Orion Program. You got results, and I like that!" Terri gives you a big smile. "I am sponsoring you for the Orion Program. This is a great honor and privilege, but I think you deserve it."

08gateway005.png

Terri trades you a green badge for your blue badge. "You've earned this, my friend. Keep in mind that it isn't coded with any destionations yet, so you really need to go to the next green badge briefing. Remember: Nine in the morning, room T52. Now go make the best of the opportunity. I expect great things from you. Good luck and good hunting." She gets up and leaves the bar.

[Your score has just gone up by 30.]

Achievement unlocked: received the green badge. :salute:

Next morning we head to room T52 for the green badge briefing Terri mentioned.

08gateway018.png

A few seconds later, a tall man dressed in a suit walks into the room and takes his place at the head of the table.

08gateway021.png

An elite briefing, yay.

08gateway022.png

"Per the international agreements you are all familiar with, this briefing is classified Alpha Three, which carries a concomitant TOP SECRET classification in U.S., European, Japanese, and Brazilian military services. This information is very sensitive."

Leonard Worden looks sternly around the room, then continues: "As you know, we are continuously trying to gain knowledge relating to the operation of Heechee ships through intensive research activities on Earth, Venus, and this station."

08gateway025.png

"We began the Orion Special Exploration Initiative once we had positive confirmation that our efforts were producing statistically significant results. The Orion Program is our way of letting you take advantage of our research.

"I am going to give each of you one of the course codes from our master list. I will take your green badge and run it through an encoder that will transfer the course code onto the black strip on your badge."

08gateway028.png

Worden closes his briefcase. "These codes are classified at level Alpha Three. Do not let your badge leave your sight. We expect each of you to use the codes on your next exploration mission."

08gateway030.png

"Good luck and good hunting. If you continue to be successful, we will make codes from our master list available to prospectors at large in about a year. Because of your exceptional qualifications and your proven records, you get a head start."

[Your score has just gone up by 15.]

And so the briefing ends.

> examine briefcase

Leonard Worden's briefcase is made of leather and looks very expensive.

The conference room empties. The briefing is over.

Hmm, I feel like I have forgotten something... Oh yeah, totally.

> kiss Leonard

08gateway033.png

:P

The corridor feels with people as a meeting in the conference room ends. They walk quickly up the corridor towards the dropshaft.

Without further delay, let's head to the new destination.

08gateway038.png

_flight_gif1.gif

08gateway049.png

Orbiting fourth planet in the Aleph binary star system, spectral class G. Planet has toxic atmosphere. Surface gravity is 1.7G. Sensors detect small concentration of Heechee metal.

The atmosphere is toxic, meaning we can't do without the bloody space suit.

08gateway083.png

We land, and then exit the ship.

08gateway086.png

> examine green stalks

The stalks range in size from a few centimeters to ten or twenty meters long. The strange convoluted trunks emerge from the ground and end in disturbing four-sided blossoms.

> examine path

A path leads east.

And to the east we go.

08gateway090.png

And then south.

08gateway093.png

> examine liquid

The liquid is oily and murky, a soup of shifting purple hues that is like nothing you have ever seen.

> dive into liquid

There would be no point to going swimming in the lake.

> taste liquid

Not bloody likely!

:o
The game is extreme, I like it.

> examine rocks

The round, shiny rocks are piled in a cairn that looks almost like a marker or nest of some kind. The rocks are all between five and fifteen centimeters in diameter and made of a silvery-gray substance that reflects light.

> take rock

You reach down and attempt to dislodge one of the rocks in the pile. You discover that they are fused together somehow. You can't budge any of them.

SUDDENLY

08gateway098.png

> examine salamander

The salamander is about a meter long, with six legs and a long tail. It has two eyes on small eyestalks and a mouth that looks like it is set in a permanent lazy grin.

An evil salamander! Kill it with fire!

> shoot salamander

08gateway_bonus001.png

:rage:

> kiss salamander

Spacesuits are a well-known inhibitor to a good sex life.

:roll:

> take salamander

The salamander struggles briefly, then goes limp in your hands. You take the salamander.

[Your score has just gone up by 5.]

We head back north and then east.

08gateway105.png

What a funny one!

The creature finally breaks the spell by brandishing a crude but deadly trident spear with one of its four arms. It begins moving towards you, waving the spear. You retreat to the west as the creature advances. The awkward dance continues all the way outside the village, where the alien seems to lose enthusiasm and turns back.

Well, that was intense. And now let's go northeast.

08gateway107.png

On the west side of the clearing is a large boulder. While the clearing is surrounded by a forest of green stalks, the growth to the southwest and south is thin enough to allow passage.

> examine boulder

A huge rock seems to grow out of the ground on the west side of the clearing.

> examine dome

The dome is made of Heechee metal. Near the base of the dome is a panel set flush with the surface of the dome. Below the panel is a small circular hole.

> examine hole

The hole in the dome is circular and about ten centimeters in diameter.

> examine panel

The panel is square, about half a meter on a side. It is set into the side of the dome.

Hmm, let's check what is behind the boulder now.

08gateway113.png

Nothing too interesting. A nice hiding place, though. Let's rather approach the dome itself.

08gateway115.png

SUDDENLY

Your helmet mikes pick up a mournful wailing sound from the south. The sound builds in frequency and volume for a few seconds, then dies away.

I wonder who that might be...

08gateway118.png

Oh well. Hiding behind a boulder would've been a better choice.

08gateway122.png

The strange instrument emits a low pitched blast of noise that sounds like a drawn out, bubbling, quavering moan.

08gateway126.png

:o

08gateway128.png

The chief inserts a cylinder made of Heechee metal into a circular hole in the side of the dome. A panel slides aside to reveal a screen. The creatures continue chanting "Mutz, Mutz, MUTZ!" as the chief waves all four of his arms in front of the screen.

We need that cylinder!!

The chief turns to face the screen. You hear a series of beeps and clicks. The aliens stir restlessly. The dome suddenly spits out the Heechee metal object and it lands on the ground next to the dome. The chief recovers the object as the panel slides shut. He faces his followers once again.

08gateway131.png

As you may have guessed, the aliens just can't figure out how to operate the dome, even though they have the cylinder. Natives, duh. :roll:

The aliens file off to the south, disappearing into the forest of green stalks.

The aliens tend to come to the dome every once in a while, thus making it possible for us to enter the village undetected when they are away. For that, we must go south to the Lake Shore and wait until the wailing sound passes to the north, then quickly head for the village.

08gateway140.png

> examine huts

The primitive looking huts are made of some kind of thatch.

> examine big hut

The big hut seems to be the home of the big cheese of the village.

Let's enter the big cheese's home, then!

08gateway145.png

The same liquid we saw in the lake, huh?

> examine liquid

The liquid is oily and murky, a soup of shifting purple hues.

> examine tank

The tank is a large container fashioned out of some translucent substance. It is full of oily looking purple liquid.

> taste liquid

While wearing a spacesuit? Impossible!

Meh.

And then we crawl down through the opening in the floor. The idea is to wait until the villagers return and see if we can grab the cylinder somehow.

> down

08gateway149.png

It's pitch dark. You're likely to be eaten by a grue.

> wait

Time passes...
The hut above you groans and creaks as something enters, mutters to itself, and stomps around for a few moments. Then you hear a sloshing sound and a deep contented sigh. Silence follows.

Time to get out of here, stalker.

08gateway152.png

> examine creature

The outline of the creature is visible through the purple liquid in the tank. He is suspended in the stuff, swaying gently back and forth. He appears to be asleep.

> take creature

You can't take the chief creature.

Why? :/ Ah, fuck this!

> shoot tank

08gateway_bonus002.png

Oops. :roll: This horrible flaming death is dedicated to lightbane-kun!

> examine cylinder

The outline of a cylinder about a third of a meter long is visible through the purple liquid in the tank.

> take cylinder

You put your glove into the liquid. As your fingers enter the oily fluid, you notice a hissing sound. The liquid seems to be boiling around your glove. With a start, you realize that it is molecular acid and that it is starting to eat through the material of your suit. You jerk back your hand. Tendrils of vapor rise from your glove.

Bad luck there. Let's rather take a roundabout road.

> put salamander in liquid

You drop the salamander into the tank. It makes a small splash and swims happily around the surface for a few moments. Then the salamander dives for the bottom of the tank, disappearing with a playful flick of its tail.

[Your score has just gone up by 10.]

Yay!
And now, evading the villagers, we return to the Lake Shore.

08gateway161.png

The salamander must've mistaken the cylinder for a stone suitable for its nest. Silly thing. But anyway...

> take cylinder

You take the metal cylinder.

[Your score has just gone up by 15.]

...the cylinder is ours!
:yeah:

08gateway167.png

I wonder if anything comes out of this...

08gateway170.png

Oh hey, it's a "find the shape that doesn't fit" game! I used to play a lot of those back in the day. This should be easy. The first answer is 4, obviously.

08gateway174.png

4 again: the circle doesn't fit in.

08gateway176.png

3: the lines are parallel => no point of intersection

08gateway177.png

2: not a parallel shift.

08gateway178.png

5: obviously.

08gateway183.png

We've done what the villagers couldn't. Nice.

> take red fan

You take the red prayer fan.
[Your score has just gone up by 2.]

> take blue fan

You take the blue prayer fan.

> take yellow fan

You take the yellow prayer fan.

We can't exit the dome while holding the fans, by the way.

A strange invisible force prevents you from leaving the dome while you are holding the prayer fans.

> examine yellow fan

The object looks like a delicate crystalline prayer fan that has been folded shut. It glows with a pure yellow light that seems to come from inside the translucent crystal.

> examine slots

There are three colored slots on top of the Heechee device, and below each of them is an intense light. Under the red slot is a purple light, under the blue slot is a green light, and under the yellow slot is an orange light.

08gateway192.png

Well, this puzzle is easy: mix the colors to get the one corresponding to the light underneath the slot. Which means, the red fan should go into the yellow slot, the blue fan into the red slot, and the yellow fan into the blue slot.

> put red fan in yellow slot

You insert the red prayer fan into the yellow slot on the top of the Heechee machine. The orange light flares brilliantly. You hear a mechanical click, followed by a whining sound, and then the fan slowly descends into the machine until only a tiny portion of it is visible.

[Your score has just gone up by 5.]

We do the same thing with the blue and yellow fans.

08gateway199.png

:salute: The machine is ours. The Corporation will love this.

08gateway207.png

And back we fly.

08gateway211.png

A $1.5 million royalty!

part2_gif.gif

Oh my, the second part of the game already! Stay tuned.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
lightbane said:
By the way, what happens if you try to shoot the natives?
You die, obviously :p

Gateway has got surprisingly few ways to die, outside of the timed sequences. But the one consistently easy way to die is to try and shoot everything that isn't actively trying to kill you. Some of the death descriptions are really quite hilarious in that it's pretty obvious Legend is trying to punish players who think that killing everything is the easy path to success. Not here!

SCO said:
It's also pretty surprisingly post-apocalyptic atmospheric - for a comedy game.
It's Steve Meretzky, what did you expect? I think it's the bizarreness of the world and characters that make for much of the humor. I mean, a superpower that allows you to see inside unopened pizza boxes? oh and the punchline? it's actually an extremely useful power.

I remember the exploration being weird because it really looks so much like the Civilization map, but you're moving a party through it, and when you get somewhere it shifts to the Xanth adventure interface. Odd mixture of a game. Hilarious though.

Crooked Bee said:
Well, you could always start a Timequest LP yourself if you have that much time on your hands, you know. :roll:
Well I did get you to post two upgrades in a row :smug:
Kidding :love: take your time if this means each update is as awesome as those that have come so far. I mean, I played through this part of the game just a week ago yet I'm enjoying every step of the LP immensely, if that's not the best praise then I don't know what is :love:

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Without a SCRIPT function? No thanks.

Although... did the Z-interpreter support a dump command? If it did I wouldn't mind doing a Trinity LP.

Sceptic said:
Without a SCRIPT function? No thanks.

Although... did the Z-interpreter support a dump command? If it did I wouldn't mind doing a Trinity LP.
In all Infocom games you can enable/disable transcripts with commands "script" and "unscript". IIRC the original Infocom interpreter sends the transcript directly to the printer, but all newer interpreters (see e.g. here) allow you to save the output to a file.

Great lp! :thumbsup:

spekkio

Arcane
Game looks great (a little bit 'wordy', tho'), LP is the shit.

Just sayin'.

:M

Crooked Bee

Patron
:love:

Thanks, guys and girls (?).

Hellraiser said:
Natives? I hope the corporation exploits them.

Sure thing, the way it's always been and will be.

Sceptic said:
lightbane said:
By the way, what happens if you try to shoot the natives?
You die, obviously :p

But can you even shoot them? It looks like the game won't let me, since every time I encounter them, the game just tells me they're chasing me and I'm running away, duh.

mirror-kun said:
a little bit 'wordy', tho'

I hate.
:thumbsup:

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
The man who wasn't there said:
In all Infocom games you can enable/disable transcripts with commands "script" and "unscript". IIRC the original Infocom interpreter sends the transcript directly to the printer, but all newer interpreters (see e.g. here) allow you to save the output to a file.
Interesting. Thanks, this definitely makes an Infocom LP more manageable (and quite easy in fact).

spekkio said:
Game looks great (a little bit 'wordy', tho')
Words in ma text adventure? :rpgcodex:

As much as they tried to claim their (early) games weren't pure text adventures and that they "mixed the genres to create a unique hybrid" or whatever, fact is they were pure adventures. Every single one can be played in full text mode, with sound off (half of them have no sound effects and only music anyway) and no pictures, and if you didn't already know the game has a picture display you'd never know you're missing a thing (the one exception being Gateway actually, due to a specific visual hint that is not mentioned in any way in the text). Though I admit I do like the mixture of sights, sounds and more traditional text input.

Crooked Bee said:
But can you even shoot them? It looks like the game won't let me, since every time I encounter them, the game just tells me they're chasing me and I'm running away, duh.
Yeah come to think of it you probably can't shoot these particular ones. I think it's a later incident I was thinking of (no details to leave it spoiler-free)

Crooked Bee

Patron
A short yet plot-critical update here.

Update 9: Getting epic

part2_gif.gif

Part 2 of Gateway begins, and we find ourselves back in our quarters. It's July 5, meaning that more than a month has passed since our Aleph 4 expedition.

The message light on the PV commset is blinking.

We've got mail!

> activate commset

You insert your debit card into the slot.

09gateway004.png

The message is anonymous -- and intriguing. I guess we'd better not waste time.

09gateway007.png

As you enter the room, you notice a figure ducking through the exit to the north.

Must be the one who sent us the message. Let's follow him into the Tanning room.

09gateway010.png

"What you found on Aleph 4 is much more than a simple machine. It is the single most importantly discovery since Macklin stumbled upon Gateway itself, and it has revealed an impending catastrophe of unimaginable proportions.

"After I leave this room, please go immediately to the Corporation Administrative offices. Leonard Worden and the Science Section Chief are waiting there to explain the significance of the Aleph 4 discovery and to brief you on the four-part mission for which you have been chosen."

09gateway013.png

:incline:

"I apologize for the cloak-and-dagger stuff, but a mission bonus like this has never been authorized, and the President wants to ensure word of it doesn't leak out.

"I wish you luck, my friend." The man on the couch gets to his feet. "If news of this catastrophe becomes known on Earth, there will be a massive-scale panic such as the planet has never seen. I am relying on you to guard this secret carefully. And remember -- we never met."

He turns and walks out, leaving you speechless.
[Your score has just gone up by 25.]

Things have just become epic. A fitting prelude to Mass Effect 3, that would make.

09gateway017.png

We were told to head to Corporation Office Lobby, so here we are.

The receptionist checks your badge and says, "Mr. Worden and the Science Section Chief are waiting for you." She guides you into the conference room.

09gateway020.png

As soon as he notices us, Leonard Worden begins to speak.

Leonard Worden greets you and offers you a seat. "You have a green badge, so you know who I am." He gestures towards an oriental woman in a Science Section uniform. "This is Yung Seon Lee, the Science Section Chief."

09gateway023.png

"A race of highly advanced aliens who are bent on destroying all life in the universe"? Sounds... familiar. :roll:

"The discovery you made on Aleph Four was more important than you could have realized. What you brought back was a functional Heechee computing device, an optical computer that uses a crystalline matrix for storing and processing information. The three prayer fans you brought back with the machine are actually memory storage units."

09gateway025.png

"The Savant has told us why the Heechee vanished. It seems they learned of another alien race whom they called 'The Assassins.' By the time of this discovery, the Assassins had already been systematically destroying intelligent life in the galaxy for a very long time. The Heechee didn't know why the Assassins did this, and so they didn't know how to stop them."

So familiar it hurts.

09gateway028.png

"The Heechee were just approaching the threshold level of FTL activity when they discovered the existence of the Assassins. They decided to build a sophisticated cloaking system to hide the advanced state of their civilization from the Assassins. This system consists of four shield generators designed to create an area of warped space -- a 'blind spot' -- around the WatchTower.

"The Heechee apparently panicked before turning on their new defense system. They fled to an unknown location, leaving behind Gateway, the ships, the tunnels on Venus, and who knows what other machines, artifacts, and installations."

09gateway031.png

"But Aleph Four didn't make it, and now we're the ones on the hot seat. The FTL radiation that we generate by using Heechee technology must be near the threshold that will activate the WatchTower and bring annihilation down upon us. But the genie is out of the bottle -- we cannot force the people of the world to abandon the benefits of Heechee technology. So we have no choice -- we must activate the Heechee cloaking system ourselves.

"Because of your first-hand experience on Aleph Four, the mission of turning on the shield generators falls to you. The Savant has given us a complete set of instructions.

"The Savant has given us the course codes for the four worlds that house the shield generators. These are massive machines, five miles in height, that use the heat in a planet's core to generate enormous amounts of power."

09gateway035.png

Hey, this game even features the classic Biowarean formula: visit four locations to gather (activate, etc.) four pieces of whatever needed for protection against the great evil. :P

09gateway036.png

A ring of fire surrounds the planet, slowly burning the atmosphere and the crust off the world in a violent display of ultimate power. A blackened cinder is left.

09gateway038.png

"Well, good-bye and good luck. We're all going to be very sorry if you fail."

[Your score has just gone up by 10.]

Next time: activating the first generator.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
You see this Biowhores? THIS is how you do an Ancient Precursors plot twist! Assassins >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Reapers.

Also, notice that it's four generators? Coincidence? I think not :smug:

spekkio said:
Fucking newfags not knowing the "PST is good but a little bit too wordy" semi-meme.
Nah, wasn't upset by what you said, but it did raise an interesting point with respect to the way Legend marketed their text adventures, which was what I was going on about.

Donaroriak

Augur
Project: Eternity
So basically the frogs go on a procession to the dome, chant and fiddle a bit, then go back to take a bath, rinse and repeat every few minutes?
Ahhh, the hard life of a proto-civilization...

Crooked Bee

Patron
Gondolin said:
This "you need to activate some strange alien devices" story isn't shady at all. Totally believable.

Yup. I too think so.

Donaroriak said:
So basically the frogs go on a procession to the dome, chant and fiddle a bit, then go back to take a bath, rinse and repeat every few minutes?
Ahhh, the hard life of a proto-civilization...

:lol:

Sceptic said:

Crooked Bee in the update said:
Hey, this game even features the classic Biowarean formula: visit four locations to gather (activate, etc.) four pieces of whatever

Sceptic said:
spekkio said:
Fucking newfags not knowing the "PST is good but a little bit too wordy" semi-meme.
Nah, wasn't upset by what you said

Well, I was.
:rpgcodex:

Then again, spekkio is a known popamole consoletard.
:smug:

spekkio said:
Also: moar of Terri Neilson.

lightbane

Arcane
The main difference between Mass Erect and this game is that there aren't any sex scenes emotionally challenging romances :troll:

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Crooked Bee said:
Sceptic said:

Crooked Bee in the update said:
Hey, this game even features the classic Biowarean formula: visit four locations to gather (activate, etc.) four pieces of whatever

OK, so I skimmed through his long-winded speech. Can't blame me for not wanting to re-read it.

ION I finished Homeworld and it's... not as good. It's missing a lot of the magic that made Gateway so engrossing. Story feels much more linear and disjointed (yeah, both). Puzzles were the usual Legend quality though.

Crooked Bee

Patron
Oh FFS. imgboot has suspended my account for some reason. I guess that's because "You must own the copyright, or have permission from the copyright holder of any images you upload to this website." :roll: Now I'll need to reupload everything to elsewhere. *Sigh* Imgur should do the trick, hopefully.

And the asshole responsible is definitely DarkUnderlord. The Codex Gallery STILL doesn't support batch uploading FFS.

Expect this thread back in business in a couple of days.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Bee, if imgboot doesn't rename images, you may find it easier to use Photobucket over Imgur. Imgur will rename all your images to a nonsense alphanumerical string, PB keeps naming intact. If you use PB you'll therefore only have to do one batch renaming (just replace whatever the imgur link before the filenames was with whatever it'll be in PB - if you throw all the images in the same folder, like I did for each of my LP's, that address will be the same for all of them) per post and all should be as it was before.

Feel free to PM me if you have further questions. I'm also happy to donate my own PB account if you can't get one for any reason.

Of course if Imgboot renamed your images anyway then the point is moot.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom