Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Completed Text adventures ahoy! Let's 100% Frederik Pohl's GATEWAY!

lightbane

Arcane
A planet with a moon being ripped apart by gravitational stress and turned into a ring.
You mean, like the Halo ring?? :troll:
An aggressive species of cactus occurs sparsely throughout the desert terrain of this planet. Standing over four meters tall, an adult S. geraldo cassius possesses limbs of unimaginable destructive power.

So, kind like the one from Dark Sun but less lethal.

Certainly the oddest of intelligent organisms on this planet is S. gopheria robustus, similar in appearance to Earth dinosaurs, but extremely small.

I wonder if Mother 3's Dragos were inspired by these creatures. So, what happens if you go full EXTREME and use the pistol to neutralize the old man, the pterodactyl thing and the gopheria?

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
lightbane said:
So, what happens if you go full EXTREME and use the pistol to neutralize the old man, the pterodactyl thing and the gopheria?

I'm going to devote a separate short update to that. :P

Crooked Bee

Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Update 14: Nemira Three, Part 2

In which we perfectly succeed in our mission.

There are a couple more things we can ask Rolf Becker about.

> ask about personal log

"That's my private journal. It contains records of my experiences here, the difficulties I've faced, the wonders I've discovered. All in all," Becker reflects, "my time on this planet has been quite rewarding."

> ask about river

Becker sings a moving verse from "Old Man River" and looks pleased with himself. "You know, I built me a raft not long ago." Becker stares off into the distance, apparently at nothing in particular.

"Old Man River", you say?
Let's listen to: Paul Robeson - Ol' Man River (1936)

Let me go 'way from the Mississippi,
Let me go 'way from de white man boss;
Show me dat stream called de river Jordan,
Dat's de ol' stream dat I long to cross.

Ah, gits weary
An' sick of tryin'
Ah'm tired of livin'
An' skeered of dyin',
But ol' man river,
He jes'keeps rollin' along!

> ask about large mat

"I made these beds from plants and stuff I scavenged. Pretty ingenious engineering if you ask me."

> ask about garden house

Feel free to sleep there if you want." Becker looks away, embarrassed. "It's not that I don't like your company. I really do. Sometimes. I've just gotten awfully used to solitude and I miss it when you're around.

"By the way, pretty handy carpentry, wouldn't you say?" Becker leans toward you, smiling broadly while he waits for your answer.

Even if you don't answer in the affirmative, he does it himself:

"Yesiree. Quite a talented castaway I've turned out to be."

> ask about torch

"Pretty good imitation, if you ask me." He giggles for a second.

> ask about house

"Pretty impressive, huh? I found this hollow my second year here, back in 2088." After some thought, Becker continues. "The hardest part of getting moved in here was building that rope bridge. There are some mighty dangerous creatures out there that the bridge protects me from. And by the way, you're welcome to sleep here if you want. I wouldn't recommend sleeping anywhere out in the open. The nights on this planet can be downright scary."

Oh really?

14gatewaybonus01.png

:smug:

Anyway, now that we've got the rope, it's time to go back to the meadow and tie it to the long branch of the winnerpeller tree.

> tether rope to branch

14gateway055.png

The goal is to obtain that glassy thing on the other side of the chasm.

Taking a running jump, you swing on the rope out across the deep chasm. Although you don't swing out far enough to land on the opposite side of the chasm, you do manage to grab the small glass object before you swing back.

After returning to the ground, you recognize it to be a small Heechee focal lens.
[Your score has just gone up by 12.]

And the lens is ours. Easy peasy.

> examine lens

The tiny glass-like Heechee focal lens is in your possession.

> untie rope

It's securely knotted around the branch. There's no way you're going to be able to retrieve it.

There's no way we can untie the rope, so let's just leave it be.
Going southwest from here, we arrive to another junction -- with another pile of rocks.

14gateway061.png

> examine valley

The desert valley stretches out to the northeast as far as you can see.

> examine pile of rocks

Upon closer inspection, you notice that the pile of rocks is actually a crude cairn pointing southwestward from the river trailhead.
[Your score has just gone up by 1.]

> take tiller

You take the tiller.
[Your score has just gone up by 5.]

> examine tiller

The tiller was carved from a stout wooden branch and is in your possession.

Next destination: southwest, since that's where the cairn is pointing to.

14gateway068.png

> examine mendobrillium

The bush is a fine specimen of the species mendobrillium.

> taste mendobrillium

This plant looks delicate and rare. It would probably be good to leave it alone. After all his years here, Becker has only seen one of these bushes.

There is an important thing we must do here.

> examine ground

It's a cracked sheet of rock with a mendobrillium growing on it.

> dig rock

14gateway074.png

> examine pit

It's the pit you dug with the pickaxe. There's nothing in it.

Let's dig some more, then.

> dig rock

14gateway079.png

And one more time, baby.

> dig rock

14gateway080.png

Oops, we're getting a little bit too tired, and as you know, we can't just sleep out in the open. Let's grab the vermaculite...

> take vermaculite

You take the vermaculite from the pit.

...and get back to Becker's house.

> give vermaculite to Becker

14gateway184.png

It is now that Becker has gone to the garden that we can safely read his personal log. Prepare for a lot of words again!

> take personal log

You take the personal log.

> read personal log

You open the personal log and read the first entry:

Code:
April 3, 2087
"My ship was irrevocably damaged in landing on this desolate and forbidding world. Food and water stores were lost. My leg is injured but it looks like it will heal. I'm able to scout the immediate area. Luckily, the water in the nearby river surrounding this plateau is potable. Food is going to be a bigger problem. It looks like I'm stranded. I should've quit when I was ahead."

> read personal log

You proceed to the next entry on page 2 of Becker's engrossing personal log:

Code:
April 4, 2087
"There were animals rummaging outside the wreckage of my ship last night. I didn't see them but there are animal tracks all over the ground. If they'd been any more curious, they'd have found me. I'll try to find a safer place to sleep tonight. Leg is a little better but I'm getting hungry."

> read personal log

You proceed to the next entry on page 3 of Becker's engrossing personal log:

Code:
April 5, 2087
"Discovered a room atop a nearby cliff of apparent Heechee construction. There's all sorts of electronic equipment in there I don't recognize. I spent the night there last night. It's quite a strenuous climb to the room and the condition of my leg, which is improving, makes it even more difficult to reach. I'm really hungry now, though I've found a few roots which seem to be edible."

> read personal log

You proceed to the next entry on page 4 of Becker's engrossing personal log:

Code:
April 10, 2087
"The roots weren't enough. I remembered that most Heechee machines contain actuator cells that can be used as weapons and successfully removed one from one of the Heechee panels. I used it to kill a horse-like creature I found grazing in a nearby valley. Man, that cell went off like a miniature cannon! As I was flaying the beast, I became so sick and disgusted that I buried the creature's carcass just west of the trailhead leading to my ship. I buried the actuator core with the beast so I wouldn't be tempted into using it again. Roots will have to do for now."

So there's an actuator core hidden inside a grave west of the trailhead. That looks like the easy way to obtain one. However, later -- in the special Screwing It Up (tm) update -- I will explain why it isn't really the best option to just dig up the core from the grave.

> read personal log

The next 105 pages are a dissertation on the diurnal patterns of various animals of this planet. You resume reading from page 109:

Code:
December 17, 2087
"Life here is actually getting quite bearable. I've found some other edible plants and gotten pretty good at collecting enough water to last several days at a time. My leg is almost completely healed, so I'm only limping a little. The weather here is pretty predictable, although a bit on the hot side during the day. I haven't seen another of the horse-like creatures since I murdered one many months ago. I miss Adriana. A lot."

> read personal log

The next 69 pages are a discussion of tidal and diurnal patterns observable in local flora. You resume reading from page 178:

Code:
February 3, 2088
"I'm spending a lot of time looking for plants to eat. Most of the stands of edible vegetation have been picked clean by now, and I find myself going on longer and longer hikes to find enough food to eat. I'm going to have to start growing my own, so I've put a lot of energy into trying to make clay strong enough to make pots out of. There's a vent from the planet's interior west of the meadow that could be used to fire pots if only I could come up with some good clay."

> read personal log

You proceed to the next entry on page 179 of Becker's engrossing personal log:

Code:
February 20, 2088
"I'm starting a separate journal, a field notebook of sorts for cataloging the many plants and animals I've come to know on this beautiful world. So, all entries relating to my botanical and zoological research will be made in that book and I'll reserve this log as my personal journal."

> read personal log

The next 6 pages are a collection of poems and personal musings. You resume reading from page 185:

Code:
June 1, 2088
"Success! I found a combination of minerals from which to make decent clay. I mix mud from the nearby chasm's riverbed with a purple ore I've mined from deep within the tall mountain south of the meadow. I built a strong pickaxe from various pieces of my ship that helps immeasurably with the mining. I covered the hot vent with rocks and have fired a few strong pots so far. Pretty soon I'll have a full-fledged garden. These activities are keeping me quite busy and I'm really enjoying the challenge of survival on this planet."

> read personal log

The next 13 pages are a treatise on the virtues of a solitary life. You resume reading from page 198:

Code:
October 17, 2088
   "Whenever I'm lonely
   and tired from toil
   I go to bed early
   and dream dreams royale
      -R. Becker"

:roll:

> read personal log

The next 9 pages are a collection of hand renderings of plants and animals. You resume reading from page 207:

Code:
April 3, 2089
"Two years here and no sign of a rescue in the offing. Just as well, I suppose. Lately I've got to thinking that my life as a Gateway pilot was pretty empty. I was risking my life for wealth and fame and, having gotten both, was completely unsatisfied. On the other hand, since I've been "stranded" here, I've become a happy person. It's quite a puzzle. I wonder what Adriana is doing right now, if she's given up all hope that I'll return. She's probably in the arms of some other foolish pilot at this very moment."

> read personal log

You proceed to the next entry on page 208 of Becker's engrossing personal log:

Code:
April 18, 2089
"It looks like I've mined all of the purple ore that there was and I've only made about forty pots. They'll have to do for now. I'll continue mining for the ore at other sites but I'm not optimistic. There's a kind of plant growing near the mine where I found the ore that I haven't seen anywhere else. Perhaps if I find another of those plants, there'll be ore nearby. Meanwhile, I've begun growing plants in earnest and my field notebook is becoming filled with data about indigenous plants and animals. I've named this planet Adriana 1."

Yeah, that's why we found the vermaculite near the mendobrillium.

> read personal log

The next 15 pages are a another collection of bad poetry. You resume reading from page 223:

Code:
June 2, 2089
   "Two suns
   in the sky
   Would be sad
   if one would die

Sometimes miss home
   but more often don't
   I'll be gone soon enough
   but things 'round here won't
      -R. Becker"

Gosh, this is embarrassing to go through.

> read personal log

You proceed to the next entry on page 438 of Becker's engrossing personal log:

Code:
July 15, 2098
"I'm an idiot. I accidentally dropped my walking stick off the edge of the plateau overlook. It bounced off the canyon walls as it fell and wound up in plain view beside the river at the bottom of the chasm. I guess I'm going to be doing without it from now on. Damn!"

> read personal log

The next 4 pages are a yet another collection of bad poems and personal musings. You resume reading from page 442:

Code:
January 1, 2100
"New years day, 2100. Big whoop."

> read personal log

The next 8 pages are a failed attempt at mapping the Nemiran sky. You resume reading from page 450:

Code:
December 8, 2100
"It came to me suddenly as I was rummaging around for recently fallen timber near the river: A boat made from wood would allow me to explore the chasm and retrieve my walking stick. I'm beginning tomorrow. It should only take a few weeks to build it."

Duly noted.

> read personal log

The next 39 pages are a somewhat successful attempt at mapping the Nemiran sky. You resume reading from page 489:

Code:
March 28, 2101
"Determined to retrieve my walking stick, which would make a good general purpose cane, I built a raft and tiller from the branches of fallen trees. My shipbuilding skill wasn't up to snuff. The vessel isn't seaworthy. It takes on water too quickly for me to steer and bail at the same time. Maybe I'll find some naturally occurring resin to seal it with, but I haven't seen anything like that yet. With this effort, my attempts at exploring the chasm have also been brought to a halt."

> read personal log

The rest of the journal is comprised mostly of bad poetry and personal reflections of Becker upon his navel. Do you want to start at the beginning again?

> no

Yeah, it wasn't very interesting reading, was it?

> no

[That was a rhetorical question.]

Done reading, we shouldn't forget to place Becker's personal log back on the floor, lest he should suspect anything.

> drop personal log

You drop the personal log.

And now let's follow Rolf to the garden.

14gateway223.png

"What took you so long," snickers Becker.

Well, we were busy reading your per--- nevermind.

"Anyways, here's the lens cover I promised you, friend." He drops it in your open palm. "I always keep my word." He starts back toward his house, but turns back to add, "If I haven't told you already, leave my gardening and pottery stuff alone."

Let's return with Becker to his house and ask him about that metallic glint we saw at the beginning of the previous update -- as you may have already guessed, that wasn't the lens, that was Rolf's cane.

14gateway089.png

> yes

"It's not going to be easy and it might not even work at all. But without your help I'd never get it. Are you really gonna help me?"

> yes

"Great! I'm ready to begin when you are. The first thing we've got to do is find my raft and tiller, and something for you to bail water with."

Becker is now following us, and wherever we go, we get this kind of flavour messages:

Rolf Becker, a botanist and zoologist supreme, is poring over an advertisement for Regular Lo-Grav and new Super No-Grav dentures.

Or:

Rolf Becker, the compulsive conservationist, is poring over a diagram depicting various calisthenic positions.

And yes, all that is Becker reading the magazine we gave him. All things considered, the devs were obviously having fun designing this character.
First we hand Rolf the tiller we found earlier.

> give tiller to Becker

"Thanks," Becker replies, taking the tiller. "I'll need this to steer that old raft of mine."

Rolf Becker, a botanist and zoologist supreme, is poring over a full-page color ad for Corporation gambling resort vacations.

Next we make our way to the cliff trailhead.

Looking unsure of himself, Becker follows you into the cliff trailhead.

Rolf Becker, the Nemiran doctoral candidate, is poring over a half-page hologram advertising United Motors' newest addition for 2103: The Phalanx CR.

And then go west to the river shore.

Rolf Becker, the distinguished naturalist, is poring over an article entitled "Intensive Study of Japanese Language and Customs."

Rolf Becker, the wrinkled old man, is poring over a recipe for New Age Moo Goo Gai Pan.

14gateway103.png

> examine raft

It's made out of timber and rope. It's a garden variety raft.

Rolf Becker, the wrinkled old man, is poring over a consumer review of Exoflex bodysuits, the "One piece, one gram clothing substitute".

> examine river

The river flows east to west here, turning southward a few hundred meters to the west. Although it's rather calm right here, you can hear the familiar sound of white water off to the southwest.

Rolf Becker, the way-cool earth daddy, is poring over reviews of consumer virtual reality gear.

> ask about raft

"I built that raft last year out of fallen timber and rope. To make a long story short, it didn't work. I thought I'd be able to figure out how to build boats, but I couldn't. I was hoping to use it to recover my cane which I accidentally dropped over into the chasm several years back."

Rolf Becker, the crunchy granola space dude, is poring over a full-page color ad for Corporation gambling resort vacations.

> get on raft

You're now on the raft.

Rolf Becker, the master carpenter, is poring over an article entitled "Intensive Study of Japanese Language and Customs".

> tell Rolf to get on raft

"Oh, yeah. Sure. We're ready to go." He steps gingerly onto the raft. "This is sure going to be heaps of fun, sailor." Becker climbs onto the raft, grinning widely.

"We're ready to rock and roll, sailor. By the way, have I already asked if you can swim?"

Rolf Becker, a castaway with an attitude, is poring over a half-page hologram advertising United Motors' newest addition for 2103: The Phalanx CR.

Rolf Becker, the distinguished poet laureate, is poring over reviews of consumer virtual reality gear.

Anyway, off we go!

> push raft

14gateway125.png

We're supposed to bail now, but let's see what happens if we don't.

> wait

14gateway127.png

So we bail.

> bail

You bail like crazy and manage to keep the rickety craft afloat.

"Bail sailor," Becker shrieks at you. He really seems to be enjoying this. The river proceeds due south beneath canyon walls that continue to rise. You see a gyranthymus circling above you just below the canyon rim. Getting your bearings, you recognize the features of the river trailhead area.

> bail

"Bail sailor," Becker shrieks at you. He really seems to be enjoying this. The river begins a slow turn eastward and you leave the white water behind. Becker whistles a sailing song of some sort. The canyon walls are still getting steeper.

Last time we stopped bailing, we were pretty close to the shore and so didn't drown. I wonder what would happen now...

> wait

14gateway137.png

Not a particularly sound idea. Let's just keep on bailing like crazy.

> bail

"Bail sailor," Becker shrieks at you. He really seems to be enjoying this. The river proceeds in a straight line in front of you, heading due east. You must be approaching the shore where you saw the metal strut.

> bail

The river gets shallow here and the raft soon runs aground. Picking it up you and Becker carry it north until the water deepens again. Along the way, Becker leans down and picks up his cane and smiles at you. "We're quite a team. Yes, indeed. Quite a team." You put the raft back in the water, get in position and resume your journey. You immediately reenter white water and Becker yells out, "Bail, Ensign!"

> bail

"Bail sailor," Becker shrieks at you. He really seems to be enjoying this. The river turns sharply north and Becker carefully compensates with his tiller. You've completely lost your bearings now and wonder if you'll ever make it back. "Pretty good raft. I really need to work on making it watertight, though." Becker whistles another tune.

> bail

You and Becker both spot the waterfall coming up ahead. You look at him. He looks at you. Just in time, you both dive from the raft and climb up safely onto level ground.

Becker looks with interest as his raft and tiller are thrown over the waterfall and destroyed in the white water beneath the fall. "Now that's what I call a decent field trip," says Becker, beaming. "I got my cane back too." He holds out the cane and twirls it artfully. "Been missing this sucker for quite a while.

"I'll make me another raft in no time. Then we'll do it again. I can't wait. Wasn't that fun, Ensign Bailer? Hee hee hee." He starts climbing off toward the northwest.

I like that guy. No wonder Adriana's still crazy about him.

14gateway150.png

Alright, time to get the last missing shield generator part -- the core. For that, we need to revisit the crash site.

14gateway153.png

> remove grommets

You'll need some kind of tool to remove the four grommets from the actuator panel.

> remove grommets with wrench

You spend a while getting used to operating the grommet wrench and eventually succeed in removing all four grommets from the actuator panel. You bend the panel on its hinges, revealing an actuator cylinder.

> examine cylinder

The actuator cylinder is a foot long depression in the actuator chassis. A small round cap is securely fastened to the cylinder.

> unscrew cap

With minor effort, you manage to unscrew the cap from the actuator cylinder, revealing a field actuator.

> examine connector

The black metallic flange connector is securely fused to the flange housing.

All this makes no sense to me. :/

> remove connector with defuser

You experiment with the flange defuser for a long while and eventually figure out how to use it to defuse the flange connector from its housing. You toss the connector onto the ground.

Removing the connector reveals a green cube-shaped actuator core within the canister.

> examine core

The actuator core is a green pentagonal tube a few centimeters in length. It is recessed inside the actuator canister.

> examine pyramid anode

This anode has a three-dimensional drawing of a pyramid on it.

> examine tetrahedron anode

This anode has a three-dimensional drawing of a tetrahedron on it.

The trick is to connect the calipers' clips to the anodes in the correct way. Don't ask why.

> attach blue clip to pyramid anode

You attach the blue clip to the pyramid anode and hear a pleasing click.

> attach gray clip to tetrahedron anode

You attach the gray clip to the tetrahedron anode and hear a pleasing click.

> remove core with calipers

The actuator calipers are much easier to use than the wrench or defuser and in a moment you have the calipers secured to the core. You pull the core from the canister. Its top pops open to reveal an actuator cell.

Yeah, I had to look this puzzle up in the hint book. No idea how I managed to do it myself in my first playthrough...

> take cell

You pick up the actuator cell.

Finally! The core is ours.
We've got everything we need to activate the shield generator, so back to Becker's house we go.

> put cell in housing
> put lens in housing

14gateway228.png

> put lens cover in housing

Lying on your back, you manage to position the lens cover back into its original position within the housing.
[Your score has just gone up by 20.]

> turn knob
> pull lever
> push button

You press the activation button and a deafening high-pitched squeal hammers at you from all sides.
[Your score has just gone up by 25.]

10gateway158.png

:yeah:

And we're--- wait, no, we're not done here yet. There's also the question of Becker's return to Gateway.

> ask about wife

"I kind of miss that flaky lady." Becker smiles faintly. "You're probably wondering if I'll be coming back to Gateway with you, right?"

Quite a difference compared to what he had been saying about her before we gave him the magazine, eh?
We don't answer Rolf's question just yet, though. Instead, we make our way to the mountain trailhead where Rolf catches up with us himself.

14gatewaybonus02.png

"You showed me the courtesy of greeting me properly, you avoided killing the harmless gyranthymus, you haven't hurt Mr. Pookie, although he wants his bed moved back, you managed to get your precious lens without harming the winnerpeller tree, you were ingenious in your disassembly of my ship's actuator, you let me read your magazine, you helped me get this cane, and you jammed with me."

"So, to sum up, I guess my opinion of you is about the same as before. You're a good man, friend."
"I've decided to come back with you, if you'll have me. How about it, friend?" Becker seems to be waiting patiently for your answer.

Hell yeah, it looks like we didn't disappoint old man Becker in anything, not even in a minor detail. There are no "buts" in his assessment of our actions. Perfectly done.

> yes

"I'm ready to go when you are. Lead the way."

Followed by Becker, we return to the mountain plateau, the place of our ship's landing.

"Well, I guess this is it," says Becker, dejectedly. He looks around slowly, takes a deep breath and prepares to enter the ship.

Remembering Worden's instructions, you leave the actuator core, the cylinder cap, the grommet wrench, the flange defuser, the actuator discharger, the actuator calipers, the field notebook, the axe, the shovel, the metal pail, the rusty pickaxe, and the wooden whistle on the ground before you enter the ship.

Favoring one leg, Becker follows you into the ship cabin.

And back we fly.

14gateway286.png

Mission totally accomplished. :salute:

And now let's see how all this can go horribly wrong...

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Crooked Bee said:
Yeah, it wasn't very interesting reading, was it?
> no
[That was a rhetorical question.]
I never tried this with either journals :lol:

All this makes no sense to me. :/
I love this puzzle. At first glance it seems completely illogical and pure trial-and-error. In reality, if you have all the tools and have examined them, and if you then examine each and every object in the crash, you can slowly figure out what needs to be done one step at a time.

"So, to sum up, I guess my opinion of you is about the same as before. You're a good man, friend."
"I've decided to come back with you, if you'll have me. How about it, friend?" Becker seems to waiting patiently for your answer.
C&C BABY!
In before "fake consequence because whether he comes back or not makes no difference in the end slides" :rpgcodex:

Crooked Bee

Patron
Sceptic said:
I love this puzzle. At first glance it seems completely illogical and pure trial-and-error. In reality, if you have all the tools and have examined them, and if you then examine each and every object in the crash, you can slowly figure out what needs to be done one step at a time.

Well, I think I should've been more clear on this one: I don't think it's illogical. You are correct in saying it can be deduced from the items' descriptions. What I meant is that all that technical stuff makes no sense to me either way, even when I can solve the puzzle. It's a female thing, I guess.

Sceptic said:
In before "fake consequence because whether he comes back or not makes no difference in the end slides"

Oh but it does! It definitely, substantially does. ;)

True story.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
Just finished the game. Jesus, it gets substantially harder (and crazier) on the final chapter.

I have to admit I looked for hints more than once, some puzzles were really hard.

Crooked Bee

Patron
Update 15: When Things Go Horribly Wrong

In this update we're going to do the Nemira Three mission the way a Chaotic Evil character would. We're going to be as pointlessly violent and rude to Becker as the game will allow us. Going for the "bad" ending doesn't mean we won't activate the shield generator -- quite the contrary: we will. But our goal is to piss off Rolf Becker in the process and make him tell us we're the worst person he's ever met.

15gateway049.png

In this route, first thing we should do when meeting Becker for the first time is NOT shake his hand.
Unfortunately, we cannot avoid hearing Rolf's story, but we can make him upset by trying to leave the area.

> nw

"It's just like youngsters I remember on Gateway to be in such a hurry they don't even have time to listen to the life story of a great man. You just hold your horses and hear me out."

He keeps on telling us his story and then goes back to his house. The prairie dog appears:

Out of the corner of an eye, you spy a small rodent scurrying along the sandy desert. When you turn to inspect it more closely, it freezes in anticipation of your next action.

We try shooting the rodent, but the game won't let us kill it:

You get off one clean shot at the prairie dog and miss.

Then we proceed to the garden, pick up everything we must there and read Becker's notebook.
At the crash site, we shoot the geraldo cactus:

15gateway054.png

Even though the text says the cactus seems unaffected, that isn't so -- it is dead, and Becker will mention it to us in his speech.

15gateway056.png

At the pinnacles, instead of blowing the whistle to scare the gyranthymus off, we can shoot the bird to clear the way.

> shoot gyranthymus

You squeeze off a quick shot at the gyranthymus. The wounded bird slips to the ground and appears to be dead.

This is even more evil than it seems at first glance, because it leads to the gyranthymus egg dying of hunger:

15gateway058.png

So tragic. But being merciful, we can also shoot the egg right away to make the death quick and painless:

> shoot egg

You squeeze off a quick accurate shot and a squawk sounds from within the egg.

See, even the Chaotic Evil route has its soft-hearted moments.
Unfortunately, we have to hand Becker the magazine, else he won't even consider coming back to Gateway and we need him to consider that to ask him how he feels about returning home with us and generally keep track of our progress.

> ask about Gateway

"You know more about Gateway than I do, friend. You're probably wondering if I'm gonna be coming back to Gateway with you, right?"

> yes

"I haven't decided yet, but here's my thoughts on it at this point."

"You let me read your magazine," Becker recalls, "but you didn't have the common courtesy to shake my hand when I first greeted you, you unnecessarily killed the harmless gyranthymus, and you killed some defenseless Nemiran plants."
"I think you're just about what I expected, stranger."
"I'm currently leaning against coming back to Gateway with you, stranger.

"You let me read your magazine... BUT!" I'm loving it. And by killing the defenseless plants, Becker means shooting the cactus.
Inside Becker's house, we can kill Rolf's little dinosaur friend guarding the control panel...

15gateway037.png

...and then ask him how he feels about it. Truly, Mask of the Betrayer's got nothing on this game.
After that, one more line is added to Becker's passionate speech:

15gateway060.png

Hey, it looks like we're on the right path.
Instead of killing the gopheria, we could simply chase it away by first dropping the leaves and then removing the mat but NOT placing it on the floor:

> drop leaves

As the gopheria spots the jubifruitus leaves, it begins panting and screeching vigorously. The gopheria leaps into the air and snatches the pungent leaves from your hand. Now on the floor of Becker's house, the creature begins rapidly consuming them.

> remove mat

You remove the small mat from the control panel.

> wait

Time passes...
The gopheria, having polished off the pungent leaves, eyes the control panel and the mattress in your hands. It shrieks alarmingly, and rushes out the front door.

There, no gopheria.
That also makes Rolf's speech change a bit: instead of "you murdered my beloved Mr. Pookie", he now complains about us having chased it out of the house:

You let me read your magazine," Becker recalls, "but you didn't have the common courtesy to shake my hand when I first greeted you, you unnecessarily killed the harmless gyranthymus, you chased my beloved Mr. Pookie away, and you killed some defenseless Nemiran plants."

Next we should ask Becker about music and agree to play drums with him when he asks us to join, but then NOT jam with him, choosing to wait instead and make him finish playing his music alone. We can also tease him a bit first.

"Ah, music. I surely do miss it at times." Becker sits up straight on the mattress and smiles broadly. I've made a few musical instruments since I came here and I've been practicing quite a bit. Do you play?"

> yes

"You do! Wonderful. I've been lookin' forward to playin' with other musicians. Do you want to play?"

> no

"Oh, come on," Becker pleads, "Pleeeese. I'm pretty good and I've got some fine percussion instruments. Just one song, OK?"

> yes

"Great," says Becker exuberantly.
Becker opens the wooden door and disappears for a minute. He soon emerges holding two wooden drums with tops made from animal hide. "The animals I skinned to make these drums were long dead when I got to them. I figured I might as well put them to good use. Music soothes my soul, as they say."

He places one of the drums in front of you and sits back down on his mattress and begins to tap out an interesting beat. "Join in whenever you want," says Becker.

Naturally, we don't join him.

"That was a lot of fun," beams Becker. "You must have been playing very quietly because I didn't hear much from that instrument I gave you." He takes both of the drums, returns them to the room behind the wooden door, and securely fastens the door again.

His disappointment shows itself in his speech again:

15gateway062.png

"You wouldn't jam with me! You're even worse than I thought after you had killed my pet dinosaur!"
The next nasty thing we can do is...

15gateway063.png

...chop down the winnepeller tree to cross the chasm and get the lens. Becker's gonna love it.

"You let me read your magazine," Becker recalls, "but you didn't have the common courtesy to shake my hand when I first greeted you, you unnecessarily killed the harmless gyranthymus, you murdered my beloved Mr. Pookie, you cut down the winnerpeller tree, insuring its extinction, you killed some defenseless Nemiran plants, and you wouldn't jam with me."
"So, to sum up, I guess my opinion of you is worse than before. You're a real disappointment, stranger."

There are also some minor unplesant things we can say to Rolf that are fun even if they don't count toward the bad ending.

"By the way, pretty handy carpentry, wouldn't you say?" Becker leans toward you, smiling broadly while he waits for your answer.

> no

"Wrong answer, pilot."

Apart from that, we can tell him we don't care about his privacy.

> take personal log

Becker's apparent "dormant" period comes to an abrupt end as you reach down to pick up the personal log. "Don't be trying to read my personal journal, boy." He looks very serious. Quietly and deliberately, he continues, "Everything in that book is... personal. Very personal. Okay?"

> no

"You disturb me greatly, stranger. I miss my privacy already."

He also doesn't like being ordered around, and we can let him know we don't care about that either. For that, we must tell him to do any random thing.

> tell rolf to go outside

15gateway070.png

The old man is really mad now. Well done.
Once he's asleep, we pick up the personal log and keep on reading it until Becker wakes up and notices it:

Becker slowly open his eyes, rubbing the sleep from them. "Hope you enjoyed yourself while I was asleep," Becker says, stretching his arms. "I see you've been reading my private journal, pilot." Becker looks at you seriously and then continues, sadly, "I told you it was PRIVATE!" He screams the last word and you drop the journal on the floor. He calms down a little over the next minute or so.

Naturally, we can also attempt murdering Becker himself.

> shoot Becker

15gateway045.png

Unfortunately, that never ends well. He always has enough time to blow his whistle, which leads to this:

15gateway046.png

That happens wherever we kill Becker, even in the most improbable instance -- when shooting Becker as he follows us before returning to Gateway (in case of the good ending) and then entering the ship:

15gateway095.png

That makes no sense, but the game just won't let us murder Rolf no matter what.
Of course, we can try shooting at the old man when already inside the ship.

15gateway100.png

But the game won't allow us. Trying it again...

15gateway101.png

:lol: Okay, whatever.
Another way to disappoint Rolf is to ask him about the metallic glint and then decline to help him retrieve his lost cane.

> ask about glint

"You must be talking about that metal strut you can see from the plateau where you landed. I've been trying to get that darn strut for years. I used to visit that overlook a lot in the old days but I accidentally dropped the strut from there many years back. It was very useful to me then as a walking stick and would now serve well as a cane. I'm not getting any younger, y'know."

"I've got a plan to get it, but it'll require the two of us working together. Are you willing to try helping me?" Becker looks at you expectantly.

> no

"I didn't really expect you to help me," Becker replies despondently.

And finally, to ultimately piss the man off, let's do some grave robbing.

15gateway078.png

As you may remember, in the previous update I told you it wasn't a good idea to retrieve the actuator cell from the grave. Now we're going to do just that.

> dig grave with shovel

15gateway079.png

> examine grave

In the grave you see a actuator cell and a dead canterlope.

> examine canterlope

All that's left of the murdered dead canterlope is a bunch of rotting bones that give off the foulest of odors. Gagging on this smell, you admire your skill as a grave robber.

> take cell

15gateway080.png

And the cell is ours.
Then we activate the shield generator, and as we go back to our ship Becker catches up with us:

15gateway084.png

15gateway085.png

"I've decided to stay where I belong, here on this planet. I know there won't be any other visitors or any other chances for rescue, but I've made up my mind. S'long, stranger. Give my regards to my ex-wife." Becker wanders off toward his home.

Achievements unlocked
  • [@] Rude: didn't shake hands with Rolf Becker, didn't help him retrieve the cane, and kept on stubbornly denying he was a great man
    [@] Cruel: killed the gyranthymus and let the hatchling die of hunger
    [@] Merciful: killed the hatchling, ending its suffering
    [@] Confidence Man: tricked the gopheria into leaving the house
    [@] Wicked: killed the gopheria and asked Becker how he felt about it
    [@] Tease: agreed to play drums with Becker, but then didn't
    [@] Deus Ex: read Becker's personal log right in front of him
    [@] Lumberer: cut down the winnepeller tree, driving the species to extinction
    [@] Graverobber: retrieved the actuator cell from the grave
    [@] Suicidal: kept on killing Rolf Becker, dying every time
    [@] Devil in the Details: "You're the worst man I've ever known, stranger."
Next time: mission accomplished?

Crooked Bee

Patron
Update 16: Endgame? or, To the surface and into the deep

As soon as we've safely returned Rolf Becker to the Gateway (optional) and activated all the four shield generators (necessary), Part 3 begins.

_part3.gif

You are met immediately after your debriefing by a very serious looking MP. He escorts you up to the conference room in the Corporation offices on Level Dog. Leonard Worden and Yung Seon Lee are waiting for you.

Let's listen to: Frederik Pohl's Gateway OST - Briefing Theme
Alternatively:

16gateway010.png

"The shield won't actually work until the fifth component of the cloaking system is activated."

Oh gosh, this game's plot design is just sooo Biowarean.

"This fifth component is the command and control center. We've taken to calling it the 'Vertex,' because it seems to be the focal point of the four energy fields produced by the generators you've already turned on. When the Vertex is activated, a series of on-board computers will communicate with the four shield generators and orchestrate the delicate ballet of forces necessary to warp space around the Assassin surveillance station and blind it.

"The Vertex is in orbit around the same star as the Assassin WatchTower. The final step in the shield activation sequence requires travelling to the Vertex itself."

16gateway013.png

A silver sphere, got it.

16gateway014.png

With that, the briefing comes to an end.

16gateway015.png

After the briefing, we can ask Leonard and Yung about anything we want.

> ask Leonard about Savant

"We all wish we knew more about the Heechee and their magnificent but frustrating technology."

> ask Leonard about Leonard

"I've come up through the ranks at Gateway Enterprises. I'm one of the first senior managers to be promoted from within. It all goes to show you how enlightened the Corporation is."

> ask Leonard about Gateway

"Mankind has a chance to build a bright future thanks to this artifact and the Corporation."

> ask Leonard about Corporation

"The Corporation is engaged in a noble enterprise, son. We are creating a brighter future for humanity. I can't think of a better organization or a more important mission. I feel proud to be a part of it!"

> ask Leonard about Yung Lee

"She's got the biggest brain on this station!"

> ask Leonard about Terri Neilson

"Ms. Neilson is an excellent executive. Very results-oriented. Delivers on her promises. She is my kind of manager, definitely going places in the Corporation."

> ask Leonard about Blue Hell Bar

"I stay away from there."

> ask Leonard about gun

"You aren't supposed to have that! Of course, if you do have it, you must have someone's permission - we don't give out weapons here."

> ask Leonard about sphere

"I wish I knew!"

> ask Yung about me

"Your accomplishments speak for themselves."

> ask Yung about Yung

"I am the Science Section Chief on the station."

> ask Yung about Leonard

"A very good executive."

> ask Yung about Terri

"I don't know her well, but she does seem to be a good person and a good executive."

My, that's all useless. Let's get to finding the silver sphere.
To find it, we must turn to the clue the aged garden technician gave us early in the game:

Code:
The old man hands you the pliers and says, "Here. Put these in the tool box." He wipes his hands on his pants and leans on the machine. "I'll tell you, my friend, this station ain't what it seems. Lately I've seen some pretty strange stuff. There's a Corporation scientist who works in the AI labs up in the restricted sector." The old man looks around and then puts his face inches from yours. "You may not believe this, but I seen him walk through walls."

The old man chuckles and shrugs his shoulders. "Almost every night after midnight this guy goes up to Level Babe and disappears. I had a supply tech move a shipping crate up there so I could watch him. He appeared right after midnight, slinked into the corridor where it ends in a Heechee metal wall, and poof! he disappeared."

I think it's obvious: we're going up to Level Babe.

16gateway017.png

From here, we head east and then east again.

16gateway020.png

The metal wall, the crate... Everything is just the way the technician described it.

> examine crate

An empty supply crate sits in the middle of the corridor. It is square, about two meters wide and a little over a meter tall, made of aluminum and tough Hexar plastic. One side of the crate is open. Stamped on another side of the crate is the following: "MACHINE PARTS Embarked 12-28-2101, Shipment AX5062, Shuttle Run 1203, Manifest #54389-A-390-D, Origin Los Angeles, Transhipped via Venus Prime."

> get in crate

You hide inside the supply crate.

We crawl inside the crate and wait until midnight.
SUDDENLY

Let's listen to: Frederik Pohl's Gateway OST - Suspense Theme
Alternatively:

16gateway023.png

According to the text interface, the man's called Perry. Must be Perry Rhodan. :roll:
If we climb out of the crate, Perry acts surprised...

Perry whirls around. He looks startled. "Who are you? What are you doing here? Go away!"

...but doesn't reveal any information. We can also kick him, and he runs away:

> kick Perry

Perry runs off down the corridor.

Oh well, we'd better stay hidden.

> examine Perry

Gordon Perry is wearing a wrinkled science section uniform. He is of medium height, pale, with thinning black hair, a small pug nose, and shifty brown eyes. He is clutching a Heechee artifact.

Perry mutters to himself as he tinkers with something on the wall at the end of the corridor. Perry hits the artifact he is holding. You hear an amazingly pure tone that surges in volume and then slowly dies away. Suddenly, a blister appears on the wall behind Perry.

The artifact Perry's holding must be a tuning fork.

> examine artifact

16gateway030.png

We get out of the crate and take the slip of paper Perry dropped.

> read slip of paper

The crumpled slip of paper has five digits scrawled on it: 55231

Must be the password, hey. I believe we should repeat what Perry did with the tuning fork. In other words, we should hit it.

> hit tuning fork

16gateway036.png

A blister appears on the wall.

> examine blister

The otherwise flat wall is marred by a light blue blister about a foot in diameter and six inches in depth. Upon closer inspection, you notice that the blister has a rectangular slot with two square holes in the center of it.

> examine slot

The slot is rectangular and has two deep, square holes, set about an eighth of an inch apart.

The tuning fork should fit just perfectly into the slot.

> insert fork in slot

You insert the tuning fork into the slot in the blister. You hear a muted humming noise, and the tuning fork slowly recedes into the slot. A keypad appears above the blister.
[Your score has just gone up by 3.]

16gateway041.png

A keypad appears, and we input the code.

16gateway042.png

We only have a moment to enter the portal before it disappears.

16gateway047.png

On our way in we encounter Gordon Perry again, but for better or for worse that doesn't have any consequences whatsoever.
And hey, we've found the silver sphere.

> take sphere

16gateway048.png

> examine sphere

The silver sphere is about the size of a tennis ball and is made of what appears to be a perfect reflective material. Upon close inspection, you notice a small, almost undetectable gold button set into the surface of the sphere.

> examine button

It is a tiny button, with craftsmanship to match that of the sphere it is set into.

> press button

When you press the button, the air above the sphere shimmers and then darkens to a color seen only in the reaches of interstellar space. A thousand fiery pin-pricks of light slowly appear in the darkness. Then a network of colored lines spreads between them, joining them in a graceful tracery. Some unintelligible Heechee characters suspend themselves in the air. You are looking at a holographic star map, a staggering display of technology never before seen by human eyes. As you gape in amazement, the projection begins to rotate slowly. The hologram vanishes when you take your finger off the button.

Fancy! Leonard's gonna love that. We return to the conference room.

You see Yung Seon Lee and Leonard Worden here.

Worden looks up. "Have you found it?" You hand over the sphere. The science chief disappears with it. Some time later she returns looking very excited. "That was the object we needed. We were able to determine the location of the Vertex." She adds the course code to your badge.

Worden says, "Because of your success with your previous missions, it has been decided that you must be the one to travel to the Vertex and activate the final component of the cloaking system." He pauses momentarily. "One last thing. While it's important for you to begin as soon as possible, the Board has demanded that you undergo a psychological evaluation before you leave for this last mission. With the fate of the world hanging in the balance, it's not an unreasonable request. The VR terminal in this building has the appropriate program. I'll alert the tech on duty that you are going to show up. The program is named 'Deep Psych'. Once you receive a 'stable' evaluation, you will be authorized for flight status, and should then head out. Good luck and Godspeed."
You are escorted out of the board room.

We have a new course code now, but before we can fly to our final destination, the higher-ups want us to undergo a special psychological test called "Deep Psych". Alright, whatever.
We climb up the stairs to the VR terminal.

The tech gives you a sympathetic look. "I received the authorization for you to enter Deep Psych. Now THAT'S a nasty VR. I guess the higher-ups want to make sure you don't snap under pressure. Let me snag the password for you while you lie down on the couch."

> lie down on couch

16gateway068.png

Punch it up on the keyboard on the side of the couch, and you're off."

> ask about Deep Psych

"That's the most technically advanced - and dangerous - VR of the bunch. The program finds deeply buried images in the subconscious and gives them physical form within the VR. These images are usually deep-seated fears. The idea is for the user to come face-to-face with his fears and deal with them in some constructive way. The problem is that it freaks some people out. So Neotech put a two-tier entry protection scheme on it. I can get the password that will let you in, but first you've got to be cleared by the Corporation. THAT's how dangerous it is."

Before we enter the Deep Psych VR, however, we still have one virtual reality we should explore first. It's totally optional and more of a comedic value than anything. It's called the "Surface Psych" VR.

> ask about Surface Psych

"That was one of the first VR's in this system. Really ragged - not a lot of development there. It's got a single room and a whole slew of primary directives. Whenever you've got so many primary directives visible to the user, it's way too easy to crash the program."

Okay, let's try it out.

> set switch to Surface

You move the switch from 'Beach' to 'Surface Psych'.

> wear collar
> press button

You press the button. The couch starts to hum with power and the collar begins to glow a dark blue.
Everything around you fades to a milky white. Then a picture begins to form...

Let's listen to: Frederik Pohl's Gateway OST - Surface Psych VR
Alternatively:

16gateway077.png

"I'll preface our session by telling you that this program has been scientifically proven to relieve the types of stress typically experienced by the normal Gateway prospector.

"If, however, you at any time feel the need to leave, simply press the red button. Otherwise, please do exactly as I instruct. Now, relax a minute while I organize my notes."

Welcome to Dr. Sigfreid's study! :roll: Yes, this is a joke VR.
The old man, of course, acts as our psychiatrist. He gives us some instructions that we must follow and tells us their meaning, with the end goal of relieving our stress.

> examine Sigfreid

He looks like a fragile man, perhaps in his late seventies. He wears a brown tweed suit, with a light tan vest, complete with breast pocket and watch. In his hand, he holds a very sloppy notebook, which is more truthfully a collection of papers that may once have had a binding . He also holds a black fountain pen.

"I'd like you to scream as loud as you can." He looks at you expectantly.

If we disobey him...

"Please. You MUST cooperate for this program to work. Again, I must ask you to scream as loud as you can."

But first let's examine everything in here. First we examine the doctor.

> examine suit

The suit looks as old as the man, and just as dusty.

> examine notebook

Once, perhaps, it may have been a notebook. Since the binding gave out, however, it's more like a wad of papers that seem to maintain a vague affinity for each other.

> examine watch

All you can see is a golden chain that hangs across his vest and disappears into his breast pocket. Perhaps he uses it to hypnotize patients. Or perhaps it's only for show.

And then the room.

> examine leather chair

The leather chair is old and worn, but it has not yet crossed over the line from "broken-in" to "junk". It is overstuffed to the point of absurdity. The cushions virtually envelop the good psychiatrist; indeed, they seem to be the only thing propping him up.

> examine leather couch

It's a large, comfortable couch upholstered with the finest brown Corinthian leather.

> examine cabinet

It's an old, polished cabinet stuffed with books and curios.

> examine books

The titles are an interesting collection of important psychology and science books. Clearly the most valuable volumes are some extremely old astrophysics texts written by an author named Pohl.

Easter egg!

> examine curios

The polished brass curios seem to be a calculated addition to preserve the 'old world' atmosphere of the room.

> examine maple desk

It's almost impossible to make out the desk under the heap of papers piled atop it.

> examine papers

You examine a few of the documents on the pile. After reading only a couple pages, your head starts to spin. The papers string words together with such circular logic that, taken together, the whole pile probably makes only one point - and a wrong point at that.

My, that's confusing.
I guess we should follow Dr. Sigfreid's orders and see what comes out of that.

"I'd like you to scream as loud as you can." He looks at you expectantly.

> scream

You bellow until your throat gets sore.

"I'll bet releasing all that primal energy felt good. I think you're ready to move on." He scribbles something inside his notebook, nodding a bit.

"Now, I'd like you to feel the leather couch." He looks at you expectantly.

16gateway085.png

(Note that some items in the cabinet have switched places. As you may remember, that's an indication we're inside a VR.)

"Now, I'd like you to simply stand up, please." He looks at you expectantly.

16gateway087.png

(And now the lighting has changed.)

"I'd like you to hop a bit." He looks at you expectantly.

Uhm... okay.

> jump

You jump up and down a few times and then need to rest.

"A trifle lacking in form, but that's all right. It just takes a bit of practice." He scribbles something inside his notebook, nodding a bit.

"I'd like you to hit yourself." He looks at you expectantly.

> hit me

You give yourself a solid blow to the midriff and collapse in excruciating pain.

"VERY good. That's one of the hardest actions to take, but one of the most important. It brings self-doubt and hatred to the surface where it can be dealt with." He scribbles something inside his notebook, nodding a bit.

"I'd like you to step on your hand." He looks at you expectantly.

16gateway095.png

:lol:

"Now, I'd like you to smell your hand." He looks at you expectantly.

> smell my hand

Basically, your hand smells like a well used doormat.

"You see? Every action has its consequences. You stepped on your hand, so now it smells like a doormat. It takes some patients YEARS of this kind of therapy before they see the light." He scribbles something inside his notebook, nodding a bit.

Choices and consequences!

"I'd like you to climb the walls." He looks at you expectantly.

> climb wall

You leap up against the wall, scrabbling to find hand and footholds. You make such little progress that you soon give up and drop back to the floor.

"A marginal attempt, but at least you tried. Of course you recognize the symbolic element here, especially as it pertains to the contradiction of the underlying societal metaphor." He scribbles something inside his notebook, nodding a bit.

"I'd like you to jump up on the desk." He looks at you expectantly.

> jump on desk

You're now on the maple desk.

"Putting yourself on display is difficult, but actors always feel much better after their performances. Accumulated stress somehow seems to dissipate in the act of public exhibition. Go figure." He scribbles something inside his notebook, nodding a bit.

If we try climbing down from the desk before Dr. Sigfreid tells us to, he stops us:

The old man stops you. "Please, remain on the desk. It's vital to the program at this particular point."

So we comply.

"I'd like you to sing a little. Don't worry about tonal quality." He looks at you expectantly.

> sing

16gateway104.png

:rpgcodex:

"Now, I'd like you to dance a little." He looks at you expectantly.

> dance

16gateway106.png

"Now, I'd like you to dance a bit more. It's rather amusing." He looks at you expectantly.

> dance

You move your limbs spasmodically for a few seconds to an invisible tune that only you can hear.

"Quite nice. Although I think you scuffed some of my more important papers with that little jig." Frowning, he scribbles something inside his notebook, nodding a bit.

"I'd like you to get down from the desk." He looks at you expectantly.

> climb down

You get off of the maple desk.

"I'm sure you found that exercise fulfilling, however don't be discouraged if you didn't. It's the cumulative effect of the entire program that's important, not reactions to individual components." He scribbles something inside his notebook, nodding a bit.

We can try grabbing the notebook from the old man:

> take notebook

You grab at the notebook. The old man immediately snatches it away, but not before you glimpse a few doodles of superheros and nuclear explosions.

"Now, I'd like you to attack the couch." He looks at you expectantly.

> attack couch

You bang on the leather couch, but it just sits there.

"Again, the importance of this action should be obvious. One must be able to vent one's hostilities on insensate objects in the immediate environment in order to become totally stress-free." He scribbles something inside his notebook, nodding a bit.

We can also attempt attacking Dr. Sigfreid himself.

> attack Sigfreid

16gateway114.png

:P

"Now, I'd like you to clean the desk." He looks at you expectantly.

> clean desk

16gateway115.png

Dammit.

"Now, I'd like you to cry." He looks at you expectantly.

> cry

You let out a few heaving sobs. Now don't you feel better?

"Clearly the most time honored stress reliever of all." He scribbles something inside his notebook, nodding a bit.

"Now, I'd like you to rub your hand." He looks at you expectantly.

> rub my hand

You carefully rub your hand.

"That was just a simple physical exercise to release tension - although the boot imprint on your hand did make me think you could use a bit more blood circulation in that area." He scribbles something inside his notebook, nodding a bit.

"I'd like you to kiss the floor." He looks at you expectantly.

> kiss floor

You give the floor a nice wet smack. After wiping the dust from your lips, you're thankful that you don't go in for french kissing.

"You must also feel comfortable with your environment; you can't let it build stress within you." He scribbles something inside his notebook, nodding a bit.

"I'd like you to sit on the couch." He looks at you expectantly.

> sit on couch

"This is the cooling down period. You've done very well and completed all the necessary tasks to bring yourself to a state of calm. If your attitude is one of acceptance and trust, rather than rebellion, you should find yourself so relaxed that you will soon be unable to stay awake." He scribbles something inside his notebook, nodding a bit.

"Now, I'd like you to sleep." He looks at you expectantly.

> sleep

16gateway125.png

Oh yes, that was quite a trip.
By the way, if we keep on disobeying Dr. Sigfreid, the VR just breaks:

16gateway129.png

But anyway, now we're fully relaxed and prepared to enter the Deep Psych VR.

> turn switch to Deep Psych

You move the switch from 'Surface Psych' to 'Deep Psych'.

> type powder

You carefully type "powder" on the keyboard. In response, you hear a faint, tinny 'ping'.

> push button

You press the button. The couch starts to hum with power and the collar begins to glow a dark blue. Everything around you fades to a milky white. Then a picture begins to form...

Let's listen to: Frederik Pohl's Gateway OST - Deep Psych VR Theme
Alternatively:

16gateway134.png

Cute!

> examine demon

The demon is horrible, a nightmarish figure dredged from the dark side of your subconscious. Your stomach knots up and you break into a cold sweat just from looking at him. He holds a wicked curved axe that twitches in his hand. The demon is attached to you via a ten foot span of heavy rope.

The things is, as time passes, so the crack gets wider.

16gateway136.png

For now, let's just stand in one place examining things.

> examine crack

The small, open crack about a foot wide divides the chamber into two roughly equal territories. It remains only an inconvenience, like an inverted speed bump.

The crack pulls back even further. The resulting chasm is now about three feet across. The demon paces back and forth, fingering his axe.

> examine doorway

16gateway138.png

> examine axe

16gateway141.png

Poor thing.
We notice we've been given a knife.

> examine knife

It's a sharp implement, with a dangerous curved blade and a handle of pearl worn smooth from long use.

AND THEN

The chasm walls give another lurch and you finally run out of rope. Both you and the demon teeter on the edge, and then pull each other into the abyss. You fall for what seems forever before the scene finally dissolves around you.
The hues and colors of the virtual world swirl in a soft cloud and drift away. Soon you are back in the real world, but after-images of the alternate reality linger in the back of your mind.
A message is flashing on the small screen above the couch.

16gateway144.png

So yeah, let's try again.
This time, the first thing we do is jump across the chasm.

> jump over chasm

16gateway150.png

Yikes! We MUSTN'T counter-attack the demon, however. This VR is meant to test our ingenuity, not strength or agility. And the demon, of course, symbolizes our subconscious fears -- just like the Metastreumonic force in E.Y.E.
We should just wait a few moments until the demon drops his axe and starts clawing at the door:

16gateway166.png

And now we're supposed to overcome our fears by picking up the little cute demon:

> take demon

16gateway177.png

Yeah, it's all fucked up, I know. It makes sense, though: we can only safely escape through the door thanks to the demon. (It's like merging with Shadow in Prince of Persia instead of attacking him.)

A message is flashing on the small screen above the couch.
The tech glances over to you from his alcove. "Way to go! Not many people figure that thing out. Personally, I think the program's kinda subjective. But anyway, I've alerted Worden to your success.

"By the way, if this means you're shipping out, I might not see you again. I'm going Earthside for the world-wide VR conference." He smiles. "I'll be back in a couple of months. Good luck on whatever you're off to."

Next time: we're off!

lightbane

Arcane
Worden says, "Because of your success with your previous missions, it has been decided that you must be the one to travel to the Vertex and activate the final component of the cloaking system." He pauses momentarily. "One last thing. While it's important for you to begin as soon as possible, the Board has demanded that you undergo a psychological evaluation before you leave for this last mission. With the fate of the world hanging in the balance, it's not an unreasonable request."

Wait what? That's so realistic it hurts! Heroes are supposed to be parangons of virtue and power!! They don't suffer from a feeble mind like the rest of mortals. Ask Shepard, someone that's perfectly sane and doesn't have random bouts of insanity, no?

shepardrapeface.jpg

16gateway095.png

I like how the game makes fun of psychologists. So, what happens if you try to attack the demon anyways?

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
The messages you get (if you read the screen) for failing the deep-psych vary depending on how you failed. The one for killing the demon yourself IIRC gives you a good hint as to what you need to do to win.

Can't wait for the next update! I really like one of the upcoming scenes.

Crooked Bee

Patron
Update 17: Guardian

17gateway001.png

Inside our ship, we enter the last, final, ULTIMATE code. :salute: And off we fly.

Your ship is suddenly rocked by the pull of powerful tractor beams as it is forcibly drawn towards a satellite orbiting the planet. Metallic clanging echoes through the ship as the docking takes place. The controls of your ship go dead.

We open the hatch and go outside.

17gateway006.png

Or rather, inside the Heechee satellite overlooking a planet.

A heavy metal door is set in the east wall. It is closed.

> examine planet

The slowly swirling gas clouds indicate an atmosphere, but it is probably not one that would support life. The effect is beautiful, nevertheless.

> examine windows

Regardless of their thickness, they are as clear as crystal and afford an incredible view of the planet below.

Hey, we must be near the Assassin Watchtower! No time to be taking in the view!

> examine collectors

Long flat panels filled with solar cells stretch out from the exterior of the satellite. Drawing energy from the nearby star, these collectors must have powered the station for eons.

> examine display screen

The screens are constantly refreshed with meaningless yet colorful Heechee symbols.

> examine symbols

They obviously mean something, but you don't know Heechee.

> examine compartment

The closed compartment is long and flat, about half of a meter high and one meter wide. It is labeled with indecipherable Heechee script. On its face, you see a large button.

> examine big button

It is a large button that almost covers the face of the metal compartment.

The big button of awesome. Hmm, I wonder what happens if we press it.

> press button

17gateway022.png

> examine ring

It is a large ring, slightly bigger than your neck. The surface is smooth, reflective, and unmarked. You notice a spring clasp upon one side.

Naturally, we must equip the ring.

> wear ring

17gateway025.png

The globe starts pulsating.

_globe.gif

> examine globe

The silver globe is perfectly round and without blemish. It sits in the center of the small compartment, affixed to its interior. Blue energy courses over the globe's surface and occasionally arcs into the surrounding air, giving off a whiff of ozone.

And now we should touch the globe.

> touch globe

Carefully, you lower your hands onto the silver surface of the globe. Blue fire leaps from the points of contact, flowing up your arms to the collar. The pinpricks of electricity make the hair on your arms stand straight up.
The collar sparks and emits a high-pitched whine. An arc of electricity fires across the globe's surface. You start to feel a little sick and your vision becomes hazy, as if you were squinting through a blue fog.

A disembodied mechanical voice says, "Greetings, visitor. Welcome to the Guardian."
[Your score has just gone up by 15.]

Welcome to the Guardian! Or rather, welcome the Guardian.

Let's listen to: Frederik Pohl's Gateway OST - Guardian Theme
Alternatively:

_guardian.gif

:o

_guardian_ultima_large.png

:o :o

17gateway061.png

Now I'll never be able to trust this guy.

17gateway062.png

"In our favor, the message cannot be sent until the WatchTower achieves another half orbit around the planet, at which time the transmission path will become clear. This will occur in approximately twenty-three hours. The collar that you wear contains a program that will alter the content of the warning message to that of a standard 'ALL CLEAR' message. It can only do so, however, if it is properly connected to the WatchTower's system. This is something only a physical being -- such as yourself -- can do.

"The success of this plan relies on one additional step -- the elimination of the Assassin himself. If he remains alive, he will eventually find a way to inform others of his kind about the existence of humans and the Heechee. If that happens, the destruction of both races will be inevitable. Hence, the Assassin MUST be destroyed."

17gateway066.png

(Incidentally, now we know the way Shepard will defeat the Reapers in Mass Effect 3.)

17gateway067.png

"If all goes well, the hatch will open to reveal an intricate panel with a circular indentation on it. Remove the collar and place it on the panel. The collar's program will modify the alert message. When you have done these things, the controls to your ship will respond to your commands -- you will be free to go."

17gateway072.png

And good bye.

17gateway084.png

We head east to the travel pod.

17gateway086.png

A pedal by your feet protrudes from the south wall.

> examine iris

The northern wall consists of a huge metal iris, much like the lens of a camera. It is currently closed.

> examine pedal

It's only a pedal in a figurative sense; it certainly doesn't look like it was designed for any foot you've ever seen. It's really just a small triangular platform protruding from the south wall.

Nothing here for us to do but press the pedal.

> press pedal

You hear a hissing sound as the thick metal door clangs shut. A few seconds of silence pass and then the pod lurches forward.

Onwards, to the Watchtower!

17gateway096.png

Impressive.

17gateway097.png

17gateway099.png

Another globe. Well, you know what to do.

> touch globe

17gateway103.png

Huh?

You crawl towards the hatch, but instead of the expected wall of metal, it seems to open on a conventional doorway. Beyond the door you hear music and laughter! You shake your head, but no trace of the headache or fogginess remains.

Suddenly a young woman appears at the hatch opening. She smiles and says, "A new arrival! How wonderful!" She sees your collar. "Oh, poor dear. Did the Heechee program put you through a great deal of pain? Let me take that." Before you can react, she reaches over and removes the collar from your neck. "We all went through the same process. I'll just add it to my collection." She drops the metal ring into a box that contains at least fifty other collars just like it.

"We also can't have lethal weapons floating around. I'm afraid I'll have to take your gun as well." With an apologetic shrug, she gently lifts the gun away with two fingers, as if it were a smelly sock. "Now come with me, please." She reaches over and takes your hand. As she guides you through the hatch, you are too shocked and mystified to even think of resisting.

Let's listen to: Frederik Pohl's Gateway - Ballroom Theme
Alternatively:

17gateway109.png

The vaulted ceiling rises almost out of sight, and the towering windows that look out on the star-filled galaxy create the illusion that the room never ends. The scene is graced by an artificial waterfall that feeds a large burbling stream, and a crystal bridge leads north across the stream to a secluded bar. Three large alcoves to the east, west, and south hold amusement booths, each of which features a different game. The center of the room is dominated by a large marble fountain around which people are gathered in what appears to be a spontaneous party. A serving robot wheels around serving exotic treats to those who ask.

To the southeast you see a closed hatch. The room's decoration is rounded out by a small potted plant.

17gateway116.png

17gateway117.png

"The Heechee have made things comfortable for us, however. They've seen to all our needs, including food, drink, and entertainment. You must look around and decide for yourself if this truly is a trap, or if instead it is the ultimate reward that every Gateway prospector has always hoped to find."

17gateway119.png

With that, she goes away.

17gateway120.png

Make of that what you will.

Oh, and 23 hours left until the Assassin transmits the message?

> wait 23 hours

17gateway121.png

Next time: what is this I don't even

lightbane

Arcane
17gateway072.png

So, the mighty Heechee were too scared to test their own device and they ran away like little girls? Talk about being responsible :roll:

Also, that death message is a spoiler :P

Crooked Bee

Patron
lightbane said:
Also, that death message is a spoiler :P

Shh, don't tell anyone! Let's keep it our little secret.

Excidium said:
The game only gets crazier from this point until the end.

That it does. I LOVE the end sequence, though.

On an unrelated note, the resemblance between this game's Guardian and Ultima's Guardian still strikes me as weird. I wonder if it was intentional.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Goddamnit Bee, I wish you had waited before showing that game over :(

I didn't notice the Guardian resemblance until you pointed it out. Which means I must be blind, because it really is pretty scary. Odd too since both games were released the same year (and I think, pretty close to each other), so it's most likely purely coincidental.

Crooked Bee

Patron
Update 18: Virtual entertainment

So yeah, as some of you have probably guessed :)roll:), we're inside a VR.

Sceptic said:
Goddamnit Bee, I wish you had waited before showing that game over

Sorry, Sceptic, but it was so obvious I didn't think there'd be any point in concealing that. In fact, there was an altogether different thing that had me wondering the first time I played through this sequence -- that is, I was wondering if the Heechee and the Assassins were in truth one and the same species and the Guardian's speech was a lie.

But anyway, let's see what this (obviously male-created) virtual reality has to offer in the way of entertainment. And since this is a VR, we'll need to break it somehow to get out of it. For that, we'll need to figure out its rules and what can be done to trick them.

> examine hostess

The hostess is a beautiful woman. She flits from conversation to conversation with ease, making everyone comfortable. Every once in a while she glances over at you and smiles.

> examine people

The people are dressed in a variety of styles, representing a cross-section of a few generations of Gateway prospectors. They all seem to be having a good time; laughter periodically floats through the air from all sides.

> examine windows

They seem to look out into the heart of the galaxy. The endless night is filled with stars.

> examine galaxy

It's definitely the Milky Way. Somewhere out there, one of those stars is Earth's Sol. So close, yet so far... You shake your head and stop yourself before you get too poetic.

18gateway002.png

We've been given a credit card we can use to buy items and play games. There are several game booths here as well as a bar. And as you may remember, all these people are supposed to be Gateway prospectors just like us.

> ask hostess about ballroom

"This is the guests' favorite place to mingle, meet, and relax. I'm sure they'd be interested in any news you have about Gateway; most of them have been here for quite a while.

> ask hostess about windows

She breathes heavily and closes her eyes. "Yes, isn't this place wonderful? I've never seen anything else as beautiful."

> ask hostess about Gateway

"Well, I miss it a little, but I certainly wouldn't trade what I've found here for a ride back."

The VR is obviously programmed so as to make us want to stay here.

> examine crystal bridge

The crystal bridge spans the stream separating the ballroom and the bar. On one side is a spectacular waterfall and on the other are the towering windows.

> examine waterfall

The waterfall is artificial, but that doesn't lessen its beauty. The water cascades down into the stream which separates the ballroom and the bar.

> ask hostess about bar

"If you find the ballroom too noisy or bright, you might prefer the more relaxing atmosphere of the bar. I'd join you, but duty calls." She sighs and returns her attention to the party.

To the southeast is the hatch through which we entered the ballroom, but there's no way back.

> examine hatch

The hatch is made of Heechee metal and it appears to be locked. There's no way you're going to be able to open it.

> ask hostess about hatch

"The hatch the only entrance, and there simply is no exit. This might seem discouraging right now, but I'm sure you'll learn to love this place as much as the rest of us."

There's also a WaiterBot here attending to the guests.

> examine WaiterBot

The WaiterBot exists only to serve treats from his tray to the people attending the ballroom party.

> kick WaiterBot

You knock over the WaiterBot and he spills the tray of food onto the floor. He spins around frantically for a few moments, unable to get upright. When he finally succeeds he grabs the tray, refills it with dropped food, and continues on his rounds.

> ask hostess about WaiterBot

"The Heechee have seen to all of our needs exceptionally well. The robot servants are prime examples of this. We want for nothing here; it's a perfect place to live out your life."

> examine tray

The tray contains a mound of brightly colored snacks.

Snacks, huh?

> take snack

The WaiterBot hands you one of the snacks from the tray.

> eat snack

You take a bite and are surprised by the sharp yet strangely pleasant taste. You quickly gobble down the rest.

Hmm, nothing that looks breakable so far. Let's ask the hostess about herself.

> ask hostess about hostess

"Every so often, we designate someone to take the role of host or hostess. Right now, it's my turn. Usually we just oversee everyone's entertainment. But if we're lucky, we get to greet a newcomer. You're my first!"

We can also ask the hostess about our protagonist as well as kiss her -- she won't protest:

18gateway005.png

In fact, all the women in here seem perfectly kissable.

> kiss partygoers

You sneak a kiss from one of the women in the ballroom. She turns towards you, smiles, and returns to her conversation.

And even the WaiterBot, too:

> kiss WaiterBot

The WaiterBot gives you a blank stare, and then holds out the tray of treats to you.

There are three kinds of games offered here -- Guess Your Weight, Ball Throw, and Wheel of Fortune.

> ask hostess about Guess Your Weight

"That's my absolute FAVORITE! If you go there, I'll have to go with you. I must see how you do."

> ask hostess about Ball Throw

"Oh yes, the Ball Throw booth! I've played there quite a few times. I'm sure you'll find it very entertaining."

> ask hostess about Wheel of Fortune

"Oh yes, the Wheel of Fortune booth! I've played there quite a few times. I'm sure you'll find it very entertaining."

Sounds... entertaining! For now, however, let's head north to the bar.

You climb over the crystal bridge, admiring the quiet flow of the waterfall into the stream. Soon you pass from the bright lights of the ballroom into the subtler atmosphere of the bar.

18gateway009.png

Oooh.

> examine woman

She so closely fits your ideal of the perfect woman that it seems someone designed her to your specifications. Auburn hair lies atop sculpted features, and she wears a clinging dress that accentuates her natural curves and leaves the perfect amount to the imagination.

"It seems someone designed her to your specifications"? Not exactly subtle, game.
We ask the woman about herself.

You start to ask her a question, but realize you haven't even met. You greet her warmly and she looks at you mischievously and snuggles up beside you.

"Hello, handsome. I've been watching you. You're new here, aren't you? I'll bet you have the most exciting stories to tell." She glances at the back room. "Would you like to go someplace private where we can... talk?"

18gateway011.png

Wait, already? ...Well, okay.

> yes

"That's great, honey. Lead on. We'll go when you're ready."

To the north is a door leading to a secluded room; I guess that's where we need to go to enjoy the, um, virtual babe's company.

> ask woman about door

"Now THAT's an idea! What do you think? Would you like to explore back there a bit?"

> touch woman

"You KNOW I'm interested, sugar. I just think we should go somewhere a little more private. I remember mentioning something about a back room?" She lifts one eyebrow inquisitively.

> kiss woman

The woman responds to your kiss passionately. She seems more than willing to keep going.

Also, we can order her a drink.

"Thank you." She accepts the drink and slowly savors the liquor while gazing at your over the rim of the glass. When she finishes, she returns the glass and gives you a beautiful smile.

Alright, so back room it is.

> examine door

There doesn't seem to be a knob or handle of any sort upon the door. It is basically a blank sheet of metal with a raised panel located to one side.

> examine panel

The panel is to the left of the door in the north wall. The outline of a hand is printed upon it.

Well, I believe we should press it.

> press panel

18gateway015.png

Achievement unlocked: Virtual sex.

After the coitus, it's blah blah time.

> ask woman about hostess

"I guess she's a nice girl. But you like me better, don't you?"

If yes:

She nibbles on your earlobe and whispers, "I'm very glad to hear that."

If no:

"You're just teasing me." she responds, although she can't help but look a little hurt.

> ask woman about bar

She looks around at the bar. "I suppose it's a nice enough place, but I come here more for the people."

> ask woman about Gateway

"I didn't like it particularly. There was so much pressure to be, well, productive. Here I can just relax and focus on the things that make me happy."

> ask woman about woman

"Well, I came here about four years ago. I guess that makes me a relative newcomer. Even so, I really haven't met anyone that special... until now." She looks into your eyes and smiles.

That woman is annoying. I wanna kick her.

> kick woman

She dodges out of the way and says, "You know, there are better ways to work out anger and frustration."

There's also a man named Flint sitting at the nearby poker table.

> examine Flint

The first thing you notice about the man is his piercing sea-green eyes that seem to look right through you. A woman is draped over his shoulders, although he barely takes notice of her. He reminds you of the archetypical self-serving hero - a good man to have at your back in a fight.

Flint is busy playing so we can't really ask him about anything.

You ask your question of Flint, but he cuts you off with a chop of his hand. You decide to try again later.

We can, however, ask the woman about Flint and others, as well as about Gateway.

> ask woman about Flint

"Oh, the 'professional' poker players? I don't really think much about them. I've always preferred other activities. Playing games just doesn't seem to be for me."

> ask woman about patrons

"I don't think you need any of them when you've got me. I like to think you got the best."

I wonder what happens if we kick Flint...

> kick Flint

Flint blocks your attack with a blur of movement. "Let's keep this friendly, shall we?" You see the threat behind his smile, and decide to leave him alone.

...or maybe kiss him? He's just so manly. :P

> kiss Flint

His eyes widen in surprise, and then narrow. "You try that again and I'll twist your head off."

Again, you say?

> kiss Flint

Flint growls and starts to leap towards you when Susan, the girl draped over his shoulders, restrains him. He reluctantly sits down again, burning a hole in your head with his glare.

Susan, you say?

> kiss Susan

Susan waves you away. Clearly, she's not interested.

Oh, too bad. The BarBot will have to do, then.

> kiss BarBot

"I appreciate the sentiment, Sir, but I'm sure one of the bar's lovely patrons would be more suitable for that type of activity."

We attempt joining the game of poker, but...

"Look, pal. You look like a nice guy, but this is a high stakes game. You've gotta have a fairly good sized bankroll if you want to sit in. No debtors here, and frankly, you don't look that lucky. Now beat it." The man turns back to the game.

Hmm, we need some money. And to win money, we need to play games. Simple, really.

18gateway044.png

Let's begin with a game of Ball Throw.

Let's listen to: Frederik Pohl's Gateway OST - Game Booth Theme
Alternatively:

The GameBot rolls up to you and exclaims, "Ho! Look what we have here! You look like a man who enjoys a challenge. I'll bet you could do this blindfolded. Just insert your card into the friendly slot, and try your skill!"

So we insert the card.

> insert card into slot

The credit card disappears in the slot with a soft click.

"A true gamesman you are, sir, ready to take up the challenge. Well, I shan't delay you. Take this ball and toss it towards yon bottles. Your skill and a bit of luck shall decide the outcome." He hands you the ball with a formal gesture and waves towards the shining pyramids.

Okay, so the point of the game is to throw the ball at those bottles.

> throw ball

18gateway051.png

The GameBot produces your gold credit card and places it in your palm.

Hey, we won! But... what's that about the ball changing course in midair? :? Something's fishy. Let's try again.

And we win again in the same way. Hmm.

18gateway057.png

The GameBot trundles up, peers in your direction through inch thick, virtually opaque glasses, and says, "Ahh, a customer!" He squints a bit more and asks, "Would Madam like to try her luck? Just insert your card into the slot. Only five dollars a guess!"

Wait... Madam? Oh, he must be talking about the hostess.
We insert the card into the slot.

The credit card disappears in the slot with a soft click.

"Thank you so much, Madam. It's people like you that make my job the joy that it is. Now, let me see." The GameBot makes a show of looking you over. "I'd have to say you weigh 542 pounds. Now, step on the scale and we'll see if you win!"

No, he definitely means our prospector, not the hostess... In that case,

> kiss bot

The GameBot draws back. "That's not quite the entertainment I was programmed for, Sir."

Oh, so now it's "Sir", huh? :roll:

> step on scale

You step onto the scale. The huge numbers on the display roll for a few seconds, and finally come to stop at 163.

18gateway063.png

And we win again. And again. Extremely fishy.

Also, there is at least one important detail clearly indicating we're inside a VR: the locations of the game booths tend to switch places from time to time. It's pretty disorienting. But finally we make our way to the Wheel of Fortune.

18gateway071.png

The GameBot barks, "Hurry, hurry. Place your bets on the Lucky Wheel! $50 a bet, but worth every nickel. Play the most popular game around.

"Step right up, my good man. $50 a pop might seem a little steep for a $100 prize, but we're the most fun around and nobody's got a bigger payoff! Try your luck!"

Now we must indicate the slot in which we want to insert our card.

> insert card in slot 2

18gateway074.png

A woman edges her way to the front and shyly inserts her card into the three slot. "I wish you luck." she whispers to you.

"All bets are in? Very good. No more, please. The wheel is about to start turning!" The GameBot reaches up to the wheel's controls.

Looks like we've got a rival.

> examine woman

She is modestly dressed and keeps her hands clasped in front of her. She sees you looking her way and smiles at you.

> kiss woman

You kiss her on the cheek. She blushes and smiles.

But back to the game. The wheel stops at 2.

18gateway078.png

The GameBot shakes your hand and touches your credit card, adding in the grand prize money.

The woman smiles at you and says, "I'm happy for you. I'm glad one of us won." She quickly disappears into the crowd.

It all repeats, even if with different competitors.
Competitor #2:

A well dressed man glides to the front and immediately slides his card into the one slot. He looks down his nose at you and states imperiously, "I'm going to win, you know. I always win."

> kiss man

"What are you trying to do, distract me? It won't work. I'm lucky enough to win this game whether I pay attention or not."

The man looks shocked. "I've never lost before. You must be luckier than me, if that's possible. Simply unbelievable." He shakes his head as he melts into the crowd.

Competitor #3:

A young man wanders up to the counter and looks it over. After rubbing his chin a bit, he decides upon slot number one and inserts his card.

> kiss man

"I'd appreciate it if you wouldn't do that; people might get to a'talkin."

The young man shrugs his shoulders. "Ah well. I was never really one for games." He congratulates you and then ambles off into the crowd.

Competitors #4:

Two men tussle their way up to the counter and start to argue over which slot to bet on. After a few heated comments, they apparently decide on slot three and insert a card into it.

> kiss men

"Hey, chill out. We ain't, you know, that way." The two men start clearing their throats and making vaguely masculine grunts.

The two men glare at you, but then start to argue with each other about the number they picked. You can still hear the fight as they walk away into the crowd.

Well, now you know: this Virtual Reality is programmed in such a way that we always win at whatever game we play. Which means, the only way to break it is actually lose.

Hmm, that gives me an idea...

> insert card in slot 1

You insert the card into the slot labeled one. It makes a soft click and the number begins to glow. The card then pops back out into your hand. The GameBot says, "Please hold on to your card. If too many people bet, it gets a bit confusing when it comes time to reclaim them."

The GameBot yells out, "Any other takers? Step right up, don't be shy. Get your bets in now before the big wheel starts a'spinnin'!"

And now we quickly...

> insert card in slot 2

You insert the card into the slot labeled two. It makes a soft click and the number begins to glow. The card then pops back out into your hand.

18gateway109.png

The huge wheel spins quickly. The GameBot and the crowd stare at it anxiously. As it slows, the people around you appear almost panic-stricken.

The wheel stops on 1, but then backtracks to 2:

The wheel stops on number one, but then suddenly backtracks to two. The crowd steps back, and the GameBot flattens himself against the counter. He turns to stare at you. "You can't win," he says in front of the oscillating wheel. "That's impossible. It doesn't follow the rules!"

18gateway122.png

:salute: We've broken the VR.
There is, however, an alternative way of breaking it -- by losing at poker. For that, we must go back to the bar and show our credit card to Flint.

> show card to Flint

"Whoa, looks like we've got a real player here! Take a seat and kiss your money goodbye." His eyes never leave your platinum card as he points out the westernmost chair.

18gateway133.png

In the quiet west corner of the bar, you and three others are seated around a poker table. Soft blue light flows from the table's center, lending an eerie appearance to the players. On the table in front of each person is a small screen, a keypad, and a slot.
On the poker table you see some playing cards.

As you seat yourself, the rough man in the center says, "Let me introduce the crew here. To my right is the Prof. He claims he's got a system, but I don't see him winning any more than the rest of us. The other guy is Abner. He's a shark." The man on his left pretends to look offended but can't quite pull it off. "Or so he likes to think. I'm Flint, and I'm good. Don't get too comfortable in that seat; we'll have you separated from your cash in no time."

"We play straight five card poker. You deal five cards, you bet, and the best hand wins. It's quick and to the point. Why don't you deal this hand?"

First we examine the two players new to us.

> examine Professor

The professor looks exactly like what you would expect from someone with his nickname. He wears thick spectacles, his hairline is receding, and he wears an old, frayed tweed suit. He seems perpetually distracted as he stares into space and tries to improve the formulas for his poker system.

> examine Abner

At first glance, your instinct tells you not to trust this guy. The second glance confirms your suspicion. Abner wears a dark pinstripe suit with a thin tie. His hair is slicked back in an oily streak, and he has a nervous habit of stroking his greasy moustache when he is deep in thought.

And well, you know the drill.

> kiss Abner

"Hey, Pinhead. What're you trying to do? Break my concentration?" You wipe the grease from your lips and realize that this was probably a mistake.

> kiss Professor

The professor slides back his chair and eyes you warily.

We can also examine Susan better now.

> examine Susan

The girl hovering near Flint seems to try and blend into the background as much as possible. She is pretty, and looks to be totally devoted to him.

Alright, let's get to the game.

> deal

18gateway143.png

I don't really play poker, but I think that's called "four of a kind". Pretty good hand.

"You'd better get your card into the table if you want to bet," Flint says a little impatiently.

We insert the card.

The credit card disappears in the slot with a soft click, which seems to light up the small screen on the table. Flint grins. The Professor looks as if he's figuring out the mathematical basis of Tau space. The betting goes around with a few sly glances and thoughtful looks.

A soft voice emanating from the table whispers, "You need a bet of thirty dollars to stay in the game. Please enter your bet on the keypad in front of you."

We bet thirty dollars...

> bet 30 dollars

A soft feminine voice whispers, "Bet thirty dollars." Your total bet of $30 appears on the small table screen.

You match the table's bet, and the others lay down their cards. Although each has an impressive hand, none is as good as yours. The professor shakes his head and looks up in the air, pondering the mathematical implications of his defeat. Flint gives a low whistle and looks at you with new respect. Abner frowns and throws daggers at you with his gaze.

Flint says lightly, "We'll just have to get you next hand. Deal 'em out, lucky!"

...guess what, we win.
The only way to lose is to make use of one of the most basic poker rules -- the one saying the player can "fold" his hand and forfeit his bets if he feels like it.

A soft voice emanating from the table whispers, "You need a bet of seventy dollars to stay in the game. Please enter your bet on the keypad in front of you."

> fold

The players look at you strangely, as if you've lost your mind.

Abner exclaims, "How can you fold? You've got to..." Then his voice trails off.
The professor looks you straight in the face, fear glistening in his eyes. "You can't fold. That would mean you would lose, and you can't lose! You just....can't!"

18gateway166.png

WHEN SUDDENLY

18gateway167.png

:o

18gateway168.png

18gateway169.png

"Escape from my realm is impossible. Even your inevitable death will provide no release, for it will only bring a new cycle of agony and suffering. Four torments shall you have, and four time four ways to die. Even so, you will soon wish for more, and the wish itself will become a torment of its own."

18gateway171.png

So instead of eternal virtual pleasure, eternal virtual (?) hell awaits us now!
:decline:

Next time: Hot. Mean. Eternal. Hell, where it hurts so good!

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Hellraiser said:
The Hechee afraid of just one assassin?
No, they're afraid of the hordes of assassins that this one assassin will call.

Crooked Bee said:
Sorry, Sceptic, but it was so obvious I didn't think there'd be any point in concealing that. In fact, there was an altogether different thing that had me wondering the first time I played through this sequence -- that is, I was wondering if the Heechee and the Assassins were in truth one and the same species and the Guardian's speech was a lie.
Yeah, that was one of my thoughts. Or that the Guardian lied about something else. Or that... I had a pretty major WTF moment (which is why I remember this whole scene so fondly). What tipped me off (before I started playing and won every time - and I never noticed that the booths change place, they might not have for me) is one thing you didn't show, but for which you get a pretty good hint in the surface psych: the tree in the main room changes appearance every once in a while. There's no indication anywhere in the text that it has, and its description is identical, which is interesting because I believe it is the only purely visual clue for which you HAVE to have pictures on in any of Legend's text adventures.

Looking forward to the finale!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom