Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

TFRPG: The Bright and the Bastards

Andnjord

Arcane
You ask this while looking at the floor. The zombie is currently standing on a trap door. It may have been a guardian of some kind.
kCv2T60.png
Well lads, in we go then?

I try to open the trap door, using my crowbar and my strenght of 14 if necessary.

Humbaba

Arcane

Name: Hobart

Race: Halfling

Profession: Knight of the Order of the Truffle (Cavalier or whatever)

Backstory: While but a wee halfling lad, Hobart was orphaned as his parents were killed and devoured by a wandering and hungry ogre. Traumatised and alone he was subsequently taken in by the local knights of the Order of the Truffle and raised as one of their own. Years later, he is currently ordered to seek adventures for at least 1 year as his rite of initiation as is custom and then return to his village.

What do I do? Enter the cave and eventually catch up to everyone else I guess.

baud

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth

Name: Hobart

Race: Halfling

Profession: Knight of the Order of the Truffle (Cavalier or whatever)

Backstory: While but a wee halfling lad, Hobart was orphaned as his parents were killed and devoured by a wandering and hungry ogre. Traumatised and alone he was subsequently taken in by the local knights of the Order of the Truffle and raised as one of their own. Years later, he is currently ordered to seek adventures for at least 1 year as his rite of initiation as is custom and then return to his village.

What do I do? Enter the cave and eventually catch up to everyone else I guess.
Hog_Knight.png
Fixed the image link

for images from the static.wikia.nocookie.net domain, you have to remove everything after the extension part of the url (here .png) if you want the image to load for other people.

So this won't work: https://static.wikia.nocookie.net/c...test/scale-to-width-down/64?cb=20170122125015
This will: https://static.wikia.nocookie.net/coe4/images/0/0a/Hog_Knight.png

And welcome to the party !

You ask this while looking at the floor. The zombie is currently standing on a trap door. It may have been a guardian of some kind.
kCv2T60.png
Well lads, in we go then?

I try to open the trap door, using my crowbar and my strenght of 14 if necessary.

It opens into a large winding down staircase.

Ben waits for Molag, since he's the one with a lit torch and there's no way in hell he'll try to take stairs in the dark

AdeptPortrait.jpg
Molag, can we get some light, please?

Last edited:

Andnjord

Arcane
I quickly scan the room in case there was anything we missed before heading down the stairs, waiting for Molag to go first.

Self-Ejected

TheDiceMustRoll

Game Analist
Mood Music: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=81Ro7vt_U8g

You go down into the underworld. Your one torch flickers. You feel cold. The darkness seems oppressive, the light from the drawbridge disappears. The Lich rises a few inches from the floor and seems to merely glide, looking less rotten and horrifying and elegant. The dwarves feel a strange nostalgia, even if they've never experienced it. The Paladin can feel an audible amount of Unholy all around him, pinging his senses and ringing like a persistent case of tinnitis.

You have left the world of men and magic, and entered the world of Monsters and Myth. You will face the sea of Darkness, and all therein that may be explored.

You finally exit the stairs and stand in an unlit room. Your torch light extends 30 feet, so you can see the room is bizarre, 25 feet across in all four directions, a perfectly assembled box. There is an alcove in the exact middle of each wall; north, south, east and west, and each of these has a simple black door in them.

What do you do?

Andnjord

Arcane
kCv2T60.png
I suppose we might as well get going lads...

I turn the doorknob and open the door.
I also use one of my two The Easy Way uses per day to start leaving behind us a trail of shining coins to help us find our way back if necessary.

Humbaba

Arcane
Following the unmistakable sound of dwarfs opening doors, Hobart, riding on his trusty boar Tiberius encounters the others. He raises his lantern and in its bright light he spots the aforementioned dwarfs and their paladin and lich companions.

Hog_Knight.png
Well met. I suppose you too seek passage to Castle Dusk. Hobart shines his light at the lich. Good heavens, how long have you been down here?

Self-Ejected

TheDiceMustRoll

Game Analist
A corridor stretches out in front of you to the north. Far enough that you cannot see its end. Do you wish to proceed?

Doing so will automate your movement. As per rules, movement is assumed to be slow and generally careful, unless stated otherwise. You will march down the corridor until you are encountered, hit a wall, or reach new options. Also, if you guys choose to go, it is assumed the entire party is moving with you.
It will look like this EXAMPLE:

You step into the corridor and move carefully forward. 10, 20, 30, 40, 50 feet. Stop. The passageway stops and there are two paths to the east and west now. You can see the end of neither. The floor is wet beneath your feet and it seems to be pooling from the west. There is no visibility. What do you do?

Last edited:

Andnjord

Arcane
Well met. I suppose you too seek passage to Castle Dusk. Hobart shines his light at the lich. Good heavens, how long have you been down here?

Andnjord is taken aback. In front of him stands a halfling, little more than a few feet tall and riding a boar that his massive, swole, shirtless physique seems to dwarf by comparison. He makes a mental note to ask him about his workout routine when time will allow it.

kCv2T60.png
Crom...

Do you wish to proceed?

Aye, keeping the trail of shining coins at regular intervals.

Self-Ejected

TheDiceMustRoll

Game Analist

Andnjord is taken aback. In front of him stands a halfling, little more than a few feet tall and riding a boar that his massive, swole, shirtless physique seems to dwarf by comparison. He makes a mental note to ask him about his workout routine when time will allow it.

kCv2T60.png
Crom...

Do you wish to proceed?

Turn 1:
Time Passed: Five minutes, (120 feet(24 squares on a grid map) per 10 minutes, accounting for slow movement.)
Reminder that torches only last one hour. I will not remind you again.

You move into the hallway, party in tow. Five, ten, fifteen, twenty, twenty five, thirty, thirty-five feet. Stop. The passageway north now extends to the east. Ten feet from where you stand, there is another black door, embellished with a symbol:
B45APgj.jpg
Blackshirt
: You immediately recognize this symbol as those utilized by the Cult of Kerrack, the Wallower in Greed.

Do you wish to proceed?

Humbaba

Arcane

kCv2T60.png
Crom...

Do you wish to proceed?

Turn 1:
Time Passed: Five minutes, (120 feet(24 squares on a grid map) per 10 minutes, accounting for slow movement.)

You move into the hallway, party in tow. Five, ten, fifteen, twenty, twenty five, thirty, thirty-five feet. Stop. The passageway north now extends to the east. Ten feet from where you stand, there is another black door, embellished with a symbol:
B45APgj.jpg
Blackshirt
: You immediately recognize this symbol as those utilized by the Cult of Kerrack, the Wallower in Greed.

Do you wish to proceed?

Does Hobart know whether or not the presence of this symbol is indicative of any immediate danger? Like are the Cult of Kerrack known for putting traps everywhere or something?

Self-Ejected

TheDiceMustRoll

Game Analist

kCv2T60.png
Crom...

Do you wish to proceed?

Turn 1:

B45APgj.jpg
Blackshirt

Do you wish to proceed?

Does Hobart know whether or not the presence of this symbol is indicative of any immediate danger? Like are the Cult of Kerrack known for putting traps everywhere or something?

As an occultist, you are firmly aware that Kerrack Cults are mostly interested in gaining and hoarding material wealth. That does not necessarily mean coinage, and Kerrack's cult can be found in moneyless societies, some members might seek as much patronage as they possibly can, others might seek to hoard influence or power for the sake of it. Misers, thieves who steal for fun, etc are members of the Cult of Kerrack. They tend to not be extremely dangerous and aren't known for violence, but as most of the Yemani Cults are concerned, the people of Lutence tend to frown upon membership, so it is usually kept secret.

Humbaba

Arcane
Hog_Knight.png
Look here men, this door bears the symbol of the Cult of Kerrack, known hoarders of material riches. I reckon behind this door is some sort of storage or even a treasury but I dare not touch it. It might be trapped or enchanted with harmful sorceries. Are any among you locksmiths or studied in the arcane?

Andnjord

Arcane
Are any among you locksmiths or studied in the arcane?
Harkening back to my knowledge as a blacksmith, I carefully examine the lock, trying to see if there is anything unusual compared to the ones I used to forge.

Use the darkest of dark magic to summon a shade for scouting purposes.
Andnjord glares at the lich and tries not to let its foul magic distract him from his task.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

TheDiceMustRoll

Game Analist
Use the darkest of dark magic to summon a shade for scouting purposes.

Turn 2
Time passed: 15 minutes

You meditate for ten minutes and a shade is pulled from beyond and appears in front of you. It's a woman, who looks at you and hisses angrily. "What are you doing, foul lich? Do you fear your appointment at the Gates so far you flee as a coward? Release me at once!"

You realize suddenly that you have full control of this shade, including its appearance, attitude, ability to think for itself, the degree in which that is possible, and whether or not it can be such an insolent attitude. This thing can never lie to you if you command it to speak the truth and when destroyed, this specific spirit is lost forever, dispelled into the aether. You can have up to three of these spirits when you like. They can be hit with normal melee attacks, can only do 1d4 damage, but can move through most things.

While that happens

You realize the door is not locked currently.

baud

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
While following the others, Ben picks one of Andnjord's coins, checks it's worthless and drops it back on the ground.

AdeptPortrait.jpg
I hope we do find some valuables down here.

Ben visibly recoils when the shade is summoned, then waits for its return.

xerosum

Inquisitor - Sanctified Slayer
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Following the unmistakable sound of dwarfs opening doors, Hobart, riding on his trusty boar Tiberius encounters the others. He raises his lantern and in its bright light he spots the aforementioned dwarfs and their paladin and lich companions.

cZwSRk4.png
(Molag introduces himself to Hobart and walks up to join the rest of the party.)

"Hello there! Might want to be mindful of the residents in these here parts son. So far they haven't been very friendly! Granted we only have one example, but peas of a pod ya know! I'd bet grog to green-beer you could probably handle yourself in dust-up though... Good god man, what do you do in your free time!? Bench-press that boar?!"

(Molag waits for news from the shade.)

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom