Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Community Thank you for your patience during our down-time

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Tags: RPG Codex

Right, we're now running XenForo 2.0. Why? Because progress, that's why. Also using old deprecated software is bad.

There are still some tweaks and mostly minor features to bring back online (like there always have been in some cases) but core functionality appears to be up and working.

The front page is up, and we can post content again. We're aware there are some issues with updating forum indexes with the latest post, and alerting users to new posts in the news forum. Rest assured this is our top priority and we'll get right on that.

Thanks to @Twiglard for his work on the forum theme. Hopefully most of the bitching has been resolved now. And special thanks for his efforts on the back-end with code support.

jackofshadows

Magister
troll_24.png

I see.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
A quite lot of those old deprecated software get either unofficial patches (Arcanum,Gothic3,JA) or even ports in other engines(Daggerfall, UUnderworld Unity)...

I use Xenforo 2.0 on the forum that I own and administrate.

The fact of the matter is that I'm annoyed by all forum software now. Jelsoft's vBulletin circa the early to middle 2000s was fantastic; since then, shitty social media-esque features (chief among them Facebook likes/"reactions"), social media integrations, chatboxes, and various other bloatware features have dragged it all downhill. Xenforo (designed by the original guys who developed vBulletin) was supposed to be the solution to vBulletin's shittiness when it debuted around 2010, but it too has gone downhill in the same ways, and you also get nickel-and-dimed for paid features, a few of which Xenforo deliberately hamstringed in order to start charging for them—good search functionality, for example (they removed this preexisting feature and replaced it with a shitty, limited search function; you have to pay to get the good function back).

vBulletin 2005 would work better than all this bloated new bullshit to this day if someone simply updated its netcode and security backend and left everything else alone, but that doesn't pave the way for optimal extortion of money by keeping people dependent on largely unnecessary updates and superfluous features whilst charging a premium for what should be basic functionality.

The Wall

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
RPG Codex LVLED UP^. This site is national treasure. Should be protected by UNESCO. Oasis of free speech, great library of knowledge about RPGs, old & new. Workshop and gathering place for based indie Devs (Atomboy Styg Vault Dweller RatTower Tyranicon and many more). It's objective good that RPG Codex exists

In the future I hope better news reporting, more reviews and even more direct help to based indie Devs working on future RPG classics will come out of this place. Cheers! to all Esteemed Gentlemen, RPG Connoisseurs and ShitLords

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
A quite lot of those old deprecated software get either unofficial patches (Arcanum,Gothic3,JA) or even ports in other engines(Daggerfall, UUnderworld Unity)...

I use Xenforo 2.0 on the forum that I own and administrate.

The fact of the matter is that I'm annoyed by all forum software now. Jelsoft's vBulletin circa the early to middle 2000s was fantastic; since then, shitty social media-esque features (chief among them Facebook likes/"reactions"), social media integrations, chatboxes, and various other bloatware features have dragged it all downhill. Xenforo (designed by the original guys who developed vBulletin) was supposed to be the solution to vBulletin's shittiness when it debuted around 2010, but it too has gone downhill in the same ways, and you also get nickel-and-dimed for paid features, a few of which Xenforo deliberately hamstringed in order to start charging for them—good search functionality, for example (they removed this preexisting feature and replaced it with a shitty, limited search function; you have to pay to get the good function back).

vBulletin 2005 would work better than all this bloated new bullshit to this day if someone simply updated its netcode and security backend and left everything else alone, but that doesn't pave the way for optimal extortion of money by keeping people dependent on largely unnecessary updates and superfluous features whilst charging a premium for what should be basic functionality.

I think the big issue is that Xenforo 1.0 has a ton of well known, documented and unfixed security exploits (which I'm sure you of all people appreciate, especially with your vBulletin comment).

Considering some of the butthurt script kiddies we have sniffing about this place, it's probably best not to tempt fate.

Sin2x

Scholar
Well, it still does not have the original look and feel. If you can't give people what they are used to, why do it in the first place? It's the audience that makes the website, not the other way round. And it's the audience of grognards for Frigg's sake!

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom