Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

TBS Tharsis - the dice of void

titus

Arcane
Patron
This is so damn hard, it's awesome :negative:

sser

Arcane
Developer
Game's very difficult in that you can't really make any mistakes. There's RNG, but also a lot of ways to maneuver around it.

B3F965B0A5F6762949DD3E8A7BD822F5D111E56D

I think this was like my third try. I might have actually beaten it but I got one bad roll that killed a crew member.

One bad start like this is essentially irrecoverable,

C361D4E1102C9CA161084EEC75E7BC06CB6DEBC1

Anyway, it's basically Risk Management, The Game. It most reminds me of... Blood Bowl, for some reason.

Also, the music's pretty good.

I'd say worth $5-10 if you're into dice/board-game type stuff.

sser

Arcane
Developer
Anyway, it's basically Risk Management, The Game.

It's not just that it's about risk management, it's that that's all there is. The RNG mechanics make it so explicit that the player is minimaxing expected values, calculating probabilities, counting permutations etc that it's absurd to maintain the illusion that I'm the captain of a spacecraft and not, I dunno, card counting at the bellagio. I may be implicitly doing the same sorts of calculations when playing other strategy games, but they don't make me feel like that's all I'm doing.

I dunno, none of that really bothers me. What the game needs is more variation - different kinds of ships/disasters, and maybe even a strategic layer of navigation. Right now it's very just turn-to-turn simplicity. It just needs more things to do.

sser

Arcane
Developer
I'd say worth $5-10 if you're into dice/board-game type stuff.
This.

I'd rather this was an actual board game, 3-6 players taking on the roles of crew members.

Aye. That's exactly what I've been thinking. It sorta plays like one of those "survive a bunch of bullshit" boardgames where you sit around and have fun at all the bad luck, but instead of chilling with some bros you're just by yourself, so all the bad shit is just pissing people off instead.

dagrims

Educated
http://store.steampowered.com/app/323060/ - 50% off right now on Steam, in conjunction with release of a big patch that revamps the tutorial, adds missions and makes the hard mode harder:

PATCH NOTES

• Bug fixes galore
  • A completely revamped tutorial. We highly recommend you play through it if you’ve had a hard time understanding Tharsis!
  • Introduction of unlockable “skull” avatars. We’ll talk more about the unlock criteria as time goes on. For now, we want to see how many of you can figure it out without our assistance…
  • Smoother difficulty curve in Normal mode
  • Hard mode is now harder than ever
  • Five new missions available in Missions mode
  • Research mechanic now more streamlined and easier to understand

Anyone here playing this? A couple posters referenced it being worth $5-10, so now that its price is squarely in the middle of that range I'm wondering if it is time to buy (and add to my never-ending queue).

sser

Arcane
Developer
http://store.steampowered.com/app/323060/ - 50% off right now on Steam, in conjunction with release of a big patch that revamps the tutorial, adds missions and makes the hard mode harder:

PATCH NOTES

• Bug fixes galore
  • A completely revamped tutorial. We highly recommend you play through it if you’ve had a hard time understanding Tharsis!
  • Introduction of unlockable “skull” avatars. We’ll talk more about the unlock criteria as time goes on. For now, we want to see how many of you can figure it out without our assistance…
  • Smoother difficulty curve in Normal mode
  • Hard mode is now harder than ever
  • Five new missions available in Missions mode
  • Research mechanic now more streamlined and easier to understand

Anyone here playing this? A couple posters referenced it being worth $5-10, so now that its price is squarely in the middle of that range I'm wondering if it is time to buy (and add to my never-ending queue).

Now in a Humble Bundle for a $1.

https://www.humblebundle.com/survive-this-bundle

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
I got if off the humble bundle. Fun, and addictive enough to get me to play through all the 'mission' scenarios and a normal mode run after the tutorial. As mentioned above though, it could use some more variation. Will need to try hard mode to see if that changes things up, but normal was pretty simple stuff, ended with all crew at full health, low stress, some leftover food and the hull nearly mint.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Picked up the Humble for Savage Lands but this looks a lot more interesting.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Just wondering here...is it normal to get a 30+ event with 3 Void dice in Weeks 3-6, in 3 out of 5 games, that are all played on Easy?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom