Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Vapourware That Which Sleeps - Vaporware Strategy RP

Discussion in 'Strategy and Simulation' started by Kem0sabe, Aug 4, 2014.

1. ERYFKRAD Barbarian Patron

ERYFKRAD
    Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    You sure about that man?

^ Top  
  2. WhiskeyWolf RPG Codex Polish Car Thief Patron

WhiskeyWolf

• meh meh x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Malakal Arcane

Malakal
    Yea I was interested in Ruinarch but the scale is way off. What kind of ancient evil wants to kill 20 villagers? A goblin sim?

TWS epic scale works way better for me, plus the vibrant gameplay and great AI really helps. And its still being developed!

• Agree x 4
    • Funny x 2
    • incline x 1
    • STOP! posting x 1
    • Okily Dokily! x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Ismaul Thought Criminal #3333 Patron

Ismaul
    Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
    Nice lapsus there.

Played the Old Ones so much you lost your sanity? Save it before your save man, believe me. Ain't no JSON for your mind.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • nice nice x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. Storyfag Perfidious Pole Patron

Storyfag
    Baby steps, I guess. But the scale should expand after feeding on the village.

^ Top  
  6. Corbin Dallas Multipass Learned

Corbin Dallas Multipass
    It's one thing to tease people for having hope then getting their hopes dashed.

It's quite another to make fun of people who keep moronically defending the guy who obviously defrauded them by claiming to have a working game that just needed some art. That's just being a decent human being.

The dude who scammed the people, Kevin if I recall correctly, claimed to have a working, playable game, which he gave detailed descriptions of. He said he needed some money to hire a proper artist for his already existent and working game.

So people gave him lots of money. Lots and lots. Kevin likes money, so he happily accepted the money and added stretch goals, where he'd add additional features to his pretend game that he claimed already existed.

Over time, longer and longer pauses happened between each update. Dates were promised and then went by without an update. A "gameplay" video was made, where it was obvious nothing in the game worked. Some shitty asset viewer was released where you could view a couple shitty assets. Kevin claimed he still had his original working version, but you know, he couldn't let anyone see it before it was perfect (This was a lie, obviously).

Just mentioning the name of this game on normal "polite" forums results in an instant flame war and locked thread. That's the part that's so mystifying to me, the victims of the scam are the loudest defenders of it.

• /facepalm/ x 2
    • gimme dem dolla bills x 1
    • Funny x 1
    • How about this as a button x 1
    • I found this text to be too long and as such I didn't read it x 1
    • Despair x 1
    • (autism) x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. barker_s Cipher Patron

barker_s
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex
    Believe it or not, but once every few years I give in to nostalgia and re-read this whole thread as well as re-watch the dev log videos. Here, have a little treat I dug out from the distant past of 2015. Gotta love how many interlocking systems and emergent mechanics were already developed back then.

Show Spoiler

• Whatever shit you posted didn't load Whatever shit you posted didn't load x 2
    ^ Top  
  8. Ismaul Thought Criminal #3333 Patron

Ismaul
    Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
    A real man can separate the artist from his art bro.

You might have a Multipass, but you still need to open your mind.

^ Top  
  9. Lithium Flower Arcane

Lithium Flower
    To drop the RP for a second - looking back on everything has always made me wonder how much of this shit was just the dev straight up fantasizing about made up features and how much of it was actually implemented at some point.

I would almost be impressed by the idea of a dev so infatuated with his own dream game idea that he is fully capable of publicly serving up his thoughts as tangible, if WIP, reality for months on end. Playing make-belief and imagining your very own "best game ever" is so intuitive and cathartic that I almost empathize with the dev, but given that many people's actual money was at stake, this is still highly irresponsible and scummy behavior.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  10. Corbin Dallas Multipass Learned

Corbin Dallas Multipass
    Can't deny the guy had a good imagination. I certainly couldn't have kept that up.

^ Top  
  11. Ismaul Thought Criminal #3333 Patron

Ismaul
    When in the embrace of an alluring muse, many things get hard but the hardest is trying not to keep it up.

• Creative Creative x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. Aidan Literate

Aidan
    sadly it will never come out and is dead and was a scam

• FAKE NEWS FAKE NEWS x 2
    ^ Top  
  13. Josh Sawyer Was Right Literate

Josh Sawyer Was Right
    I think it's sad to see such a large and organized campaign against this game. Please do not listen to people saying the game doesn't exist. They are just butthurt PC gaming shills that can't get over the fact that the lead dev moved the game primarily to VR.

I've just had an amazing gaming session with my Oculus Rift and I can only recommend this game. Nothing quite like being able to speak to the dark ones while the Abyss envelops all of your senses. Truly next-gen both in design and in technology.

• Funny x 2
    • consume product x 2
    • Fishy x 1
    • Begone thot! x 1
    • Excited! x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. Ismaul Thought Criminal #3333 Patron

Ismaul
    People like you are the worst. Trolling with that obvious VR bullshit man. Just stop. You're destroying all the credibility us backers who own the game in its current state have.

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. almondblight Arcane

almondblight
    And the guy wasn't simply fantasizing about features in the game, he was making hundreds of posts with feedback from alpha testers who were giving detailed descriptions of the games they were playing. It's a shame the forums were closed, because they really were a trip. Even better, during this time that he was posting all of the alpha tester feedback, his partner (the two of them did the Kickstarter together) had never received a playable build.

It was amusing to see the other forum users think this guy was a legit but ultra shy developer, and were trying to find ways to get his partner to coddle him so they could get the awesome alpha.

^ Top  
  16. thesheeep Arcane Patron

thesheeep
    Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    That's actually something I find fascinating about this game:
    It lets you RP really freely, without it becoming much of a hindrance of playing "most optimally".

Sure, you're an evil entity, and you can't really be "lawful good", but there's so much space between the vile evil that you can do and some of the more "isn't this actually a good thing?".

Then again, maybe I'm just a psychopath and don't know good from bad...

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Yes Yes x 2
    • feels good man feels good man x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. An Actual Englishman Literate

An Actual Englishman
    • Brofist x 3
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    • Funny x 1
    • incline x 1
    • consume product x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. Galdred Studio Draconis Patron Developer

Galdred
    It is very hard to tell. I think the guy was confident in his abilities to deliver the game he envisioned, and he thought the little shortcuts he took to make the videos would soon be replaced by actual gameplay, but there is no way to tell. But that would be in line with MRY impressions.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. MRY Prestigious Gentleman Wormwood Studios Developer

MRY
    Years ago, I assumed that was what Cleve was doing on Grimoire. There was a post he had about testing the game that described various crazy things happening, including an NPC party interfering with his team, and the whole thing sounded so fantastical that I assumed the game was wholly an imaginary/meme thing. But then it turned out to be real, so who knows these days?

There were two guys I spoke to (Josh and Joe, leaving their last names out). They did come across as somewhat overconfident, but fairly pragmatic. If I recall correctly (and it has been many years), one or both of them had worked extensively in modding Civ or some other game, and they felt that the modding experience would translate well to this project. I hooked them up with an artist from Fallen Gods, and they paid him for his work.

Looking back at some of our emails, I honestly don't know what to think. Like, I wrote them a short text for introducing a campaign, and they wrote back:
    Was there ever a voice actor?

Or

Was this all fake? To what end?

Or

(I declined his offer, since Fallen Gods used such a different style/system, so I have no idea whether there was any "code/resources" or "map editor" at all.)

My best guess is that they simply hit several different walls that commonly afflict game development: simply the fatigue once you're over the dreaming stage, some kind of coding challenges they couldn't fix, and perhaps realizing that the core gameplay loop wasn't that much fun. It is a sufficiently small amount of money that they raised, and I know they spent at least some of it on art (since they paid the FG artist), so it doesn't seem like an outright scam. And they didn't come across as scammers in my interactions with them./

• Brofist Brofist x 8
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. Lithium Flower Arcane

Lithium Flower
    Indeed there was. I remember stumbling onto this soundcloud (don't recall if they ever publicized it) when I was stalking the development of this game years back:

https://soundcloud.com/thatwhichsleeps/narration-sample

If that sample is your writing, perhaps you'll get a kick out of hearing a gravely-voiced man read it - hopefully he was also fairly compensated because he did a fine job.

• Brofist Brofist x 4
    • incline incline x 1
    • Salute Salute x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. MRY Prestigious Gentleman Wormwood Studios Developer

MRY
    That is my writing! Ha! I'm less taken by the VO, perhaps because I think the gravely-voice men from Primordia, Strangeland, and Fallen Gods are better, but this guy does a good job with my fairly goofy text. :)

• Friendly Friendly x 5
    • incline incline x 2
    ^ Top  
  22. Aidan Literate

Aidan
    ^ Top  
  23. Aidan Literate

Aidan
    Also any of you know alternative games to that which sleeps besides bobbytwohands games and ruinarch

^ Top  
  24. udm Arcane Patron

udm
    Just occurred to me that this thread is literally an RPG Game :lol:

• Agree x 4
    • That's an Elephant x 2
    • nice x 1
    • Old x 1
    • Bad Spelling x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. agris Arcane Patron

agris
    I don't believe the map editor was fake (see here: https://rpgcodex.net/forums/threads...orware-strategy-rp.93379/page-48#post-4917723) and the failure of TWS likely stems from the more pedestrian root causes that you outline.

Like so many things in life, it is more fun to imagine the scheming and machinations of veiled actors behind the scenes than to coldly examine the realities of random creation and destruction.

^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.