Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The 55 greatest gaming moments

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
<a href=http://www.gamepro.com>GamePro</a>, your trusty source of daily stupidity, has put together a list of <a href=http://www.gamepro.com/gamepro/domestic/games/features/74917.shtml>The 55 Greatest Moments in Gaming</a>, featuring the following:

<blockquote>36. Halo 2 (Xbox): Halo 2 is still the #1 most-played game over Xbox Live. There's nothing cooler than covering a buddy for a flag run, racking up 20 frags in the process, and tea bagging every single one of them. Berserker!

34. The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion (PC): Yeah, it may be a hefty RPG and really slow at times, but the first 30 seconds of playing Oblivion is the best tasting eye candy you've ever had.

27. Fable (Xbox): Running across a demon door that wants you to fatten up before he'll open up for you, demanding that you consume pies and snacks and all manner of goodies before you can gain entry.

23. Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic (Xbox): The story twist here is the Sixth Sense of the video game world. It's a reversal so brilliant that you realize you've known it all along but couldn't uncloud it in your mind. If you haven't played this game, run-don't walk-to the game store and start immediately.

And the #1 moment you'll never forget is...

1. Final Fantasy VII (PlayStation): Aeris is killed by Sepiroth in one of the most heartbreaking scenes ever in a video game. Those big, cute eyes will never blink again under the wrath of Sepiroth. You'd only be lying if you said you didn't cry.</blockquote>*sigh*

Drakron

Arcane
I found something that is as bad as GameFAQs top 10 "stuff".

Atrokkus

Erudite
When I first played Starcraft (long ago), I cried when Tassadar sacrifised himself to destroy the Overmind. Also, my eyes watered when DuGalle shot himself in the end.

LlamaGod

Cipher
I HAVE NEVER PLAYED A SHOOTING GAME OR CTF IN MY LIFE HALO IS THE BEST THING EVER

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
"5. World of WarCraft (PC): Getting any epic item in WoW is a major feat, but after countless hours of playing as a priest, and dreaming from the character creation screen of one day being worthy of obtaining Benedition (the epic Priest staff) when you finally actually equip it, your own personal life soundtrack shifts theme songs into a high gear victory march. Your friends, family and wife won't care, but it will truly be one of the greatest achievements in your life."
Maybe this is the answer to the "Why do people play MMOs" thread.

Also, I cried when I took Cyberdemon's life in Doom 1, and the eyes of the ferocious and noble creature slowly began to dim, never to see the green, sunny hills of its homeland again.

onerobot

Scholar
Jesus. It's like sitting next to a 500 pound spastic on the bus while he explains in excrutiating detail the top 50 ways he wants to bang his mom.

23. Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic (Xbox): The story twist here is the Sixth Sense of the video game world.

Apply that little insight to the entire game and it's just perfect. Thanks for the accidental wisdom, mysterious fluid leaking bus man.

Direwolf

Arcane
What I really like about RPG Codex is that pretty much every single news item is worth putting into Retardo Land. That just shows how crap the game industry has become.

[Jez]

Novice
Lists like this cheer me up, they make me remember their are even supider people than me out there

Shagnak

Shagadelic
They forgot meeting the end guy in Serious Sam 1.

27. Fable (Xbox): Running across a demon door that wants you to fatten up before he'll open up for you, demanding that you consume pies and snacks and all manner of goodies before you can gain entry.
For fuck's sake.
Slightly amusing, but hardly a "greatest gaming moment". What a crap list.

54. Call of Duty 2 (PC): Normandy Beach invasion! Nothing more needs to be said.
Even this they get wrong. MoH's bach invasion predates it, and was much more awe-inspiring for the time. Better examples may have come along later, but by the time CoD2 came along it was "been there, done that".

VenomByte

Scholar
Some of them were ok though. These would have been in my list:

-You first Mortal Kombat fatality
-Dragon's Lair arcade
-Mario Bros '-1' level
-Goldeneye multiplayer
-Golden Axe

Together with a few they didn't mention:
-Finishing Level 9 high 5 on tetris and getting the 'rocket' scene.
-Invading the alien homeworld in UFO: Enemy Unknown.
- Completing any early 'Dizzy' game (they're damn hard)

Azarkon

Arcane
metallix said:
When I first played Starcraft (long ago), I cried when Tassadar sacrifised himself to destroy the Overmind. Also, my eyes watered when DuGalle shot himself in the end.

Not so much because the story was all that great, but more because the Blizzard animators are just very good at cinematic techniques. Their timing, use of music, dialogue, camera angles, etc. were nigh perfect in the cutscenes for SC and Diablo II for their intended emotional angles, and you're justifiably moved.

However, having those as greatest gaming moments is somewhat... Flaky, I'd say.

tarkin

Augur
Wasteland 2
Greatest ever moments eh?

Cadillacs and Dinosaurs arcade when i made my first ever roundhouse kick (to the FACE).

Street Fighter arcade when my 11 year old friend was holding down-right/left (enemy direction) and I (10 at that time) was ferociously pressing one button to electrocut the whole fucking bunch of enemys palying Blanca (or Blanco, whatever).

Direwolf

Arcane
I still reckon that the greatest moment in gaming ever was walking out of the crashed Vortex Rikers for the first time.

Mr. Teatime

Liturgist
I can't really put into words how retarded that article was. But I did LOL that someone had actually made a game called "Seaman".

Uz0rnaem

Scholar
My greatest moment was when I took a hammer and smashed my "Clayfighters" cartridge to a million pieces.

Beating a game has never felt so satisfying.

POOPERSCOOPER

Prophet
Mr. Teatime said:
I can't really put into words how retarded that article was. But I did LOL that someone had actually made a game called "Seaman".

The same guy who made Odama the military pinball simulater. Those crazy japanese.

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
:cry: ZOMG ARIES IS DED!!!!! :cry: HOW CUD SEFIROT DO TAHT!!
aiee.gif
SHE WUZ SO BEUTIFUL!! :cry:

Anyways, despite the fact that the rest of the game was trash, the beginning parts of Doom 3 were pretty good. I remember the snarkling (only word I can think of) of invisible pinky demons in dark rooms in the original Doom was pretty scary, too. Still more scary than all of Doom 3.

18. Sonic 2 (Genesis): The first time you reached the bonus stage and activated Golden Sonic to scorch the sky like a beam of light.
Golden Sonic? :|

Dreagon

Scholar
1. The first time you set foot off the Vortex Ryker and saw the falls of Nyleve
2. When Duke Nukem told the boss he was going to rip his head of and shit down his neck.....and did.
3. The first T-Rex coming straight at you in Trespasser
4. The opening level of Homeworld
5. The thing in the blast pit in Half Life

and honorable mention to all sorts of levels and places in Deus Ex and System Shock 3.

Any of these trump anything on that idiotic list.

whatusername

Scholar
metallix said:

Same here.

SanguinePenguin

Scholar
Dreagon said:
1. The first time you set foot off the Vortex Ryker and saw the falls of Nyleve
2. When Duke Nukem told the boss he was going to rip his head of and shit down his neck.....and did.
3. The first T-Rex coming straight at you in Trespasser
4. The opening level of Homeworld
5. The thing in the blast pit in Half Life

and honorable mention to all sorts of levels and places in Deus Ex and System Shock 3.

Any of these trump anything on that idiotic list.

Except for Duke Nukem I really don't care for that list. I think the most salient feature of Trespasser was that you could look down at your own hooters and feet, something that a lot of shooters ignored despite the incessant demands for feet in every footless FPS featured. I think HL serves better as a honeytrap for creative minds in mods than a "cinematic" FPS. It's too ingrained with health management from being insta hit rather than dodging the shots. The second one made it worse because of how easy it was.

Homeworld made a decent first impression but gradually decended deeper and deeper into the muck, and if there ever was a sequel that ruined the few good vibes of the first it was Homeworld 2.

Their number one pick, goofy description aside, was OK. It's probably 3 or 4 in my list. The top two being the end of Torment, and the scene in Deus Ex where JC's brother tells him to flee the apartment.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom