Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

In Progress The adventures of Asshat the Warrior. Let's play Swords and Serpents for the NES!

Well. I have the next part done. It does, however, appear that I can't keep more images in a single free imgur account. Will post up as soon as I figure something else out.

Well. I have the next part done. It does, however, appear that I can't keep more images in a single free imgur account. Will post up as soon as I figure something else out.

How does that work? I have more than a thousand images in my free imgur account, no problems so far. :?
I don't know. It just told me that it was going to remove anything but the 225 most recent ones from view. Theres almost 225 pics in this LP already. I'll try uploading the batch anyway tomorrow and see what actually happens in the thread.

schluberlubs

Educated
Don't sweat it, Forever. They’re not going to remove the images from the site, just hide them from your account page. A way to get round this is to organize your images into albums.

Either way, you don't have to worry about images being removed from earlier parts of your LP. Well for the time being, at least.

Ok. This is the first time using imgur for me, so I had little idea what their policies were. We all know about the frog problem so imageshack was out, which is why I used it.

Ok. What we have here is more or less the material from a session where I managed to get through level 3. It's not going to be so blind since when I played the part that I lost to an emulator crash, I managed to get to level 5, which you will probably see me do in the next update (4 is easy). That's why you will notice I know exactly how to beat level 3, since I just did it and then started recapping the level once I lost all that progress. So, without further ado, let's get started.

We start at the temple.
cczmj.png

We look at our status. Since the gamestate codes do not save our progress towards the next level, the experience is at zero. We have for all intents and purposes just gained exp. level 5.
ccNOh.png

We go downward, fighting shitty mobs.
w4r90.png

2MM8h.png

From the experiments last time, I now know that it is beneficial to have the Shield spell on pretty much all the time. It saves you mana from making it so you don't have to heal that often since it raises the AC of the entire party by 1 and costs like 1 mana or something in itself. We cast that spell now.
3B6If.png

And then we continue downwards, fighting more shitty mobs. They're starting to get really easy at this point. Partially because the party is stronger and partially because I'm getting used to dealing with them. Notice the icon in the corner indicating the shield spell. If it turns white, then that means the duration is rtunning out and the spell should be recast.
VYgK1.png

di2ie.png

B57cU.png

oIq2w.png

qFY8Q.png

i0e9H.png

nJMC5.png

m4SZE.png

pfyIE.png

And finally:
BDj8p.png

We go down to level 3.

And then...

...Oh, fuck!
Fonfw.png

The first thing we run into, and it's got to be these damn wizards that spawn down here. During my earlier attempt, these were the only enemy that could actually manage to kill me. They start out by being arbitrarily invincible for a while until after you've hit them a few times and their HP magically start being affected by your attacks (maybe they got more HP than fits into one bar, just like Faggot's spellpoints, or maybe that one last white dot on their HP bar is just really tough, I have no idea how it works but it's gonna get way more common later on). On top of that they also have these spells that can target everyone in the party. This means they just eat through your dudes.

We hit them for a while...

....Nothing happens.
cAlBW.png

A number of turns and a few heals later:
OI2ZG.png

The first one takes a hit! Now, what's kind of rewarding about them is that when they first start taking damage, they go down pretty quick. These also were only two, and they weren't able to hit as often as they sometimes do. Let's see what happens later if I face 3. For now, rewards:
AKH8E.png

We keep going up the long corridor where we first entered the level. We get another message.
5mCbS.png

4p9i0.png

We fight some fresh new recolors. They're easy.
NOfZC.png

And we reach a door.
iVgzX.png

We enter it. We fight some more of our new blue friends.
kJT3v.png

eROQi.png

We meet another creepy guy. He's red now.
fzx2Y.png

Some more recolors!
fS2wh.png

Now, we are in a room with four doors. All of these are locked except one. From already having played this level, I know which one can be opened. We enter the southwest door.
hsWXh.png

3zZfX.png

We fight some more mobs.
macUH.png

YoM5a.png

FXzld.png

And a new one (easy when only a single one):
lzpBY.png

BBeUG.png

Message!
Wfjzr.png

More of these.
tMkYU.png

sKgZB.png

Shit loot:
xk8iC.png

And then....

...Shit!
D95hh.png

Won't die!
jEklN.png

Small progress.
kThWn.png

At the end of the fight. Watch hit point and spell point bars. These encounters are actually draining and it won't be that many of those before you bite the dust.
fn4DL.png

Kinda decent EXP though.
ppLvX.png

We continue to fight recolors.
uKKeG.png

We continue to use up heals.
DbHEB.png

3Z8kX.png

We find this thing.
IWCTn.png

9xnVi.png

No properties whatsoever. Me smells plot item. We keep it.

We keep exploring.
VlLt7.png

New recolors!
zfX28.png

x6zDR.png

We keep exploring.
e3pBq.png

And......

This happens:
A4iDx.png

And of course, this almost directly afterwards. You know the deal by now with these and how they consume HP and SP through heals.
U27Hj.png

jDApv.png

rdJoR.png

KELbZ.png

DmNGb.png

And, two steps later....

....Of course!
7sWvb.png

This is only one though. Way easier.
mvCi2.png

At this point, I knew at the time of the playthrough that there was a zoom tube just below us. We survey the situation and decide to head for it.
1WrsP.png

xX5aT.png

X3wSU.png

rKIwX.png

tlOef.png

Shit level 1 mobs think they can take us. They should have learned by now that we are the KINGS of this level! They can barely hurt us at all at this point.
hk2xS.png

y5FDe.png

AD9Ee.png

NOTE: This time and the way down to LV3 again is the last time I'm taking any pictures of these shitty level 1 and 2 mobs. After so many screenshots you develop a habit, so I sort of did it subconsciously.

And then, the temple.
BjbrO.png

smGDx.png

EuuTw.png

Status at this point:
TaOZT.png

More shit mobs!
Z6oew.png

X5B4j.png

And then, the armory. We buy a plus 2 sword for Sissy as well, and we also sell our shit loot.
bBHJS.png

MWKby.png

SZmSL.png

FLHAA.png

We head down again ,fighting weak mobs in the process.
ySCiI.png

Nh2At.png

IgTYH.png

We get something decent!
t2J3J.png

UzH1K.png

Sissy replaces his leather with a scale.
dqxJn.png

Status. We are close to levelling.
fubsA.png

We keep going.
Ulxf5.png

We level up.
rnwGn.png

71cbN.png

wqenl.png

tPPt0.png

pJhkE.png

At this point, I save. SHould the emulator crash now, I would start out at level 6 and have a scale mail and a +2 sword for sissy.
78mdv.png

No need to post codes....

We don't quit, but keep going.
k2PHm.png

LwezS.png

And....

....Finally level 3 again!
mAzs6.png

We taker the next door now. More blue bandits as soon as we get through!
09Cte.png

HHAyx.png

We face another recolor. This time it's blue goblins.
PI4yN.png

We go on, fight some, heal some.
qmCEk.png

Found this:
a633a.png

And this:
AMies.png

Fight some blue bandits:
4OKK9.png

Then....

....We hit the motherlode of ass encounters on level 3. We hit 3 mages at the same time. Let's see how this plays out.
Xgf8I.png

......They're hurting us. We're not hurting them. We have to cast a bunch of heals.
qPG7X.png

Finally, we start hurting them. Their all-party attacks are still puninsing.
kHRcO.png

2X7Sr.png

One goes down.
6TdvW.png

And they all die!

Then, like two steps later....

....Of course!
eczYB.png

And two steps after those.....

gwcxt.png

Can you guess what happens next?

Goblins? Yeah, right....

3jJOG.png

Altyd.png

We hit the zoom tube.
cxn3t.png

tnhw4.png

We hit the temple. We find that Ashhat's HP can no longer be contained withing one health bar.
CgHAb.png

6aDJH.png

We go down again.
z5Jdv.png

T2Cew.png

We fight mobs.
nBxjM.png

We take the next door. We follow the one path.
v9Q04.png

Ug7bG.png

rZ1i8.png

UoHZW.png

5jUej.png

Cl6TW.png

Yeah, you guessed it, it's a huge spiral for teh maximum annoy.
s2MsB.png

DKzPh.png

rg3LX.png

And, of course:
okzEV.png

But we instakill one! Theres a chance of instakill when thieves and (I think?) warriors attack and this just happened.
3yzLI.png

The others go down like they have in the past.
FW1UD.png

hhn3K.png

More foes:
Hn1cI.png

G4z1A.png

More:
swhDi.png

sRl04.png

And then (yeah, I had already done this, and it's kind of obvious when you think about it):
IEvsm.png

HGiFO.png

8y0T1.png

We then get out of the spiral.
7SXo1.png

tmXHv.png

pxzyr.png

0IQT7.png

And into the northeast.
eyeeu.png

hRdL6.png

If you recall:
Wfjzr.png

I stick to the walls.

I find:
9SQCC.png

WdpV3.png

Since I got my SP back, I heal up.

I find the way down.
F2tNP.png

And also a secret door.
0NhSp.png

Looking at the status, we see that we have accumulated quite a lot of EXP. I decide to continue playing until I get to next level, since I don't want to let 2000 EXP+ go to waste. Consider the following a bonus preview for the next update when we actually go into level 4. We decide to go to level 2 and go to that goldylocks door, now that we have a key.
Wvosx.png

7NSgC.png

qyagM.png

g0Sg8.png

89QeR.png

And inside:
uo0ZQ.png

md3Rb.png

Ruby treasure! Like that creepy old guy said we should find.

No properties.
ztIgr.png

We discard gold key.
gNdXs.png

fVbtF.png

We head up to the armory asnd sell shit.
bZWW3.png

We look at status.
9exRF.png

We heal up.
zqpLM.png

And we go down to farm that lkast EXP!
ZzaRl.png

H86yU.png

Great! Another Scale!
XgQvJ.png

YHOzt.png

We fight more mages.
JLrtO.png

h8v7z.png

hhbPe.png

BORING! We decide to take a sneak peek at level 4 and go train down there. A little bit apprehensive about going down there while moron only has AC3, but I decide to try.

Level 4 is MOAR PURPLE!
S3jOv.png

We just wander about in this strange, purple land.
xZXJ4.png

2nrH1.png

CWwFE.png

And fight exciting new enemies!
sR4iw.png

We level up!
GAJZ5.png

14FSZ.png

a0PUJ.png

iZmTt.png

ND4As.png

At this point, we save. What will Asshat and his brave companions find on strange, purple level 4? Tune in next time for more retarded messages and passwall spell!

Lord Chambers

Erudite
I'm not sure what I find compelling about this Lets Play, but here I am. Keep'em coming.

Hello again, denizens of fair Codexia, I bring news from the strangely coloured depths of the dungeon of Swords and Serpents, and the party of Asshat, sent on a perilous mission with his trusted companions to defeat the dragon and get phat ruby lewt, thus fulfilling his destiny of adventure.

There has been considerable delay, for it appears that the dragon senses that it's impending doom is approaching, and has entered a pact with the nefarious Escape-button. The dragon knows that in so many dungeon crawlers of old days, the Escape-button was used to bring up the menu, and thus save the game. So now it just sits there, using it's alluring charms to try to make you press it without thinking whenever you try to bring up the menu...

...and then when you press it, it promptly shuts off GFCEU, causing you to lose all progress. This has happened like three or four times already, causing epic facepalms and nerdrage. But alas, I have foiled the nefarious plans by...

...changing the house rules I put upon myself. I am now allowed to save state and I do so often. But I can only load the states when I manage to crash the emulator by being a moron.

Now let's return to where we were at. If I have any followers at all, I'm guessing you recognize this place by now:
ccWMy.png

As I said, I will endeavour to spare you the repetitiveness of having to watch me descend through the earlier levels all over again. So, I'll just try to condense it into the most important shit.

I was actually a little concerned about taking Moron down to level 4 in this state because of his shitty AC. However, early on in the path down, I found this:
0m6W1.png

0HEJN.png

IsIoj.png

Nice! Now that's a problem I won't have to think about.

Let's get down there then!
QWY79.png

We fight some level 3 mobs.
qAHcR.png

And then we get down to level four. Before taking the magic fountain on level 3, we heal away wildly, since it restores all mana to the casters.
OFqpO.png

We go along for a bit and get to fight some snakes. They're not hard at all.
1Hp2W.png

MESSAGE!
dKgsl.png

We fight more easy blue goblins.
uYrX9.png

And then we find this guy:
E0rtt.png

It appears he is some strange guy who lives here and who helps us find answers to puzzles, but is he one guy that changes colour, or is this dungeon full of creepy old men who get off from watching adventurer parties crawl in their dungeons? Some questions are better left unanswered.

We go along for a short while, and then:
bzf6X.png

Could this be like that thing the creepy dungeon man was talking about?

Well, whatever, we go on just a little further and find a spell.
w5bxA.png

Green zombie recolour!
dUDdh.png

And:
ugAIQ.png

Yay, another one of those. We give it to the caster that has none. One good thing about thaese is that they hit two enemies.

More messages are found:
DNeQz.png

And now that guy is talking to us again.
V7FJK.png

We fight some mobs, the amount of enemies we have ancountered throughout this level thus far is really low compared to my other attempts that were ruined by the Escape-button. At this point however, encounters become more frequent as we keep exploring. This level doesn't seem that hard though. No encounters really pack a punch like those mages did.
LHMoy.png

Z0cTi.png

Ur8HG.png

ZU2m0.png

fcQPY.png

nuqjm.png

We do, however, uncover more and more of the map, and we're not really taking that much damage.
Nz4hc.png

More weak mobs try to strike at us, all in vain. we're the fucking kings of this level!
1a6UG.png

And we keep getting through the map with next to no losses.
OGCZ3.png

And more shit mobs... These zombie recolors seem to be the worst that the level has to offer though, they also seem to be immortal for a while before they are damaged (or maybe their HP is just too much for one life bar to handle, whatever) like the mages, but they don't really pack the same punch that those fuckers did with their all-party attacks. They give nice EXP, though.
lKMWF.png

KCrZL.png

NMtDB.png

This is good:
TLswX.png

Mages can use it, so we give it to Moron.
rxQO9.png

Then we fight more of them.
nt5id.png

And we get more armour. We give it to Sissy.
1bVa9.png

4kzlg.png

aZqxB.png

And now, we've walked around the entire circle. What to do, what to do.....
zFV6W.png

We fix the lock on the top right. Remember what the dude said.
A22th.png

Then, we go down. The leftmost wall segments of this retarded construction are actually secret doors, so you could just go straight down, but I prefer mapping it out at least once.
YgAu6.png

Like this. This is a secret door.
jbw8D.png

So, this level is called secret square. We start searching for secret doors in places where they seem likely (generally, every square of a dungeon level is used, so you just have to look at the map for clues as to where there might be a secret room).

We start looking. This is just the example of a place where you would expect to find one, but this seems to be a passwall thing.
xfZme.png

We did find something though. In the bottom left corner of the map.
iz5NU.png

And, of course:
NU4Yo.png

Now, for the last part of the Z before we can go to the central part of the level. We fight some more mobs.
5nCuK.png

The entire chain of walls straight down from the top thus far are secret doors. I wonder...
w5lGO.png

And the answer is yes.
0SM4b.png

We find a spell.
sklNO.png

And then, finally:
eN0KM.png

We'll just explore the last tidbits before we go downward. We're doing really well thus far. We fight a few bats.
UXbMZ.png

And then:
LkP6u.png

PldPW.png

NjhKN.png

Nope! Not entering any Zoom tubes right now. We hit the central parts instead through a secret door.
qIKyF.png

OsUPb.png

MESSAGE!
Ev4q2.png

Snakes...
bYqSS.png

Shitty lewt:
Gyrch.png

We keep going.
gG3Ci.png

and.....

wLhVi.png

RDzFS.png

Shit..

Well, there's the obvious sulotion then. There was a secret door to the left.
jXwmn.png

n3mov.png

Yeah.

mZ589.png

Same shit again, with a little difference. We do it right this time.
H7OSi.png

X4Niv.png

lfUjz.png

13LmT.png

CeqQf.png

CeqQf.png

We go inside the big room.
EhFen.png

The way down is in the middle of the room. We go down. What colour will this floor be?

ZNpv3.png

RED!!!

At about this point, I take a look at the time and realize I'm going to have to rush it for a bit if I'm to reach the temple before I'll have to quit. An hour and I'm supposed to be somewhere else. So you'll have to excuse me if the part where I get to the temple from here feels a little rushed or if I forgot to screenshot anything.

We go along.
leXiK.png

5LXck.png

We fight zombies.
v67J8.png

ZYDnu.png

We run into this guy again.
aSTYg.png

Yeah, this level is the first one with endless corridors in this game. They'll be common later. I won't run into any of them now.

I know I need the Passwall spell to reach the temple. It's on this level, so I rush to get it as soon as possible.

We continue exploring.
DwNSl.png

WDXCD.png

And, we find it.
582ug.png

We keep going.
qWCaR.png

An example where I just used tha Passwall spell to get into this room.
TrE6H.png

And we find some lewt. Faggot gets it. He has the most AC now.
S51A8.png

5cJZ3.png

aMxUM.png

We continue. These level 5 spiders are actually quite the pain. They've got the initial immortality syndrome, just like the mages and the green zombies.
rdYNv.png

We keep passwalling around. Right now it's fun and games. Later we'll need to conserve our passwalls and other spells in order to passwal just right so that the levels can be beaten.
DiEuR.png

2ophm.png

HBE57.png

GT0r5.png

We find the armory. That means the temple is close. I look at the time and it seems we can look through what they have at least. They have helmets. Everybody who doesn't have one gets one. Other than that, it's not much to write home about at all. We have tons of gold and there's nothing to buy.
nuRVj.png

opy92.png

pXm4R.png

We then get to the temple.
Gw8tH.png

I realize we haven't had a single level up. I have some time left, so I decide to see how much experience we're lacking. We have around 2300 each. It's a real shame to lose that much, but seeing as we level at something like 3500 at least (not exactly sure) I unfortunately don't have the time to get that much EXP. Real life calls, and I save the game.

u7Fv3.png

sooax.png

JR2t9.png

TsyK0.png

z2nVk.png

So, that was it for now. See you next time.

So, bros. I actually played this shit for quite some time today and I already have another really big update ready for uploading.

I managed to keep playing for a really long while and made it all the way to the temple on level 10.

For the readability of this thread though, I'll apologize in advance if I spam it for a while to get the next update on the next page when I upload it.

What you can expect is more ruby loot, me tackling level 8 (probably the most retarded level in the game), me almost TPKing trying to reach the temple on level 10 and a bunch of other things. Stay tuned.

Yo. Not abandoned. Need it to be next page now though. Probably splitting up the material I have into several parts though. So now I'm gonna spam, spam spam.

Next page to not have a billion images on the same.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom