Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News The Age of Decadence Released

I was waiting much time to purchase this. Reason for this was to help bump AoD in steam bestsellers list. Today I bought it. Mission accomplished, it's now on 13th place:)

a cut of domestic sheep prime

Thursday has finally arrived - one day early for some.

Great job, guys. You fought the decline. You fought hard. And in this humble codexer's opinion, you won. Regardless of the sales, you made the game you dreamed of. Many other startups tried and quit, or ended up getting bought out half way through and turning into a shooter. But you guys pressed on for years and saw it to completion. All without Kickstarter.

What started out as a simple idea for a game with worse graphics than Avernum ended up as a great looking game with well-drawn art, awesome music, and quite decent graphics all things considered. A unique setting, the most varied plot in recent memory, more choices and consequences than you can shake a stick at - a true Codexian RPG. Again, great job.

:salute:

Cadmus

Arcane
Big congratulations to VD and the team! I'm surprised this happened while I still care about games, haha.

So, how is it? Many bugs? Should I wait like with every other game for it to be patched?

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
A prestigious 1-star review on GoG:

Every bad RPG game mechanic ever AiO

What the title says. Seriously, take everything you ever hated about IE/2.5D/isometric era RPG games and combine them all into one place.Which is a real pity too, since the world that has been crafted and the lore is top-notch. Think of it as Age of Empires meets Fallout. Beautiful. Simply beautiful. So why the one star? All of course, obscured under the most horrifying game design choices, mechanics and philosophies that the entire industry (including Obsidian, inXile, and Larian, the current masters of cRPG) abandoned as obsolete and outdated, and made every point and pain to avoid.This is one world I hope is acquired by Obsidian or inXile so that it can grow as a proper franchise and game series. That's the highest complement I can give this game. That someone save it from its own developer and his cult of "fans".For now, if you want your fix of cRPG post-apocalyptic goodiness, I suggest you fire up Arcanum for another spin or wait for inXile's Torment to come out.

Black

Arcane
Scanning gog/steam reviews will be immensely enjoyable B)

Btw, a steam curator named Anime 1.0 is recommending it
You can imagine it like one of the old fallout games with dark souls difficulty. Extremely immersive, experimental and addicting new and underrated RPG.
:desu:

Zeriel

Arcane
So that review is basically

If this was released 10 years ago I'd give it 5/5, but those mechanics that were once considered perfect are now automagically terrible and flawed in 2015.

Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy
I just bought an additional copy using the BMT option. The price amounts to the price of two copies at steam – fucking Brazilian inflation. I think that if I do not download the product would be the most profitable decision for ITS. Am I wrong?

Elhoim

Iron Tower Studio
Developer
What's new from latest beta?

Improvements:

- Updated Ganezzar map, and standarized buttons.
- Improved and expanded game intro.
- New loading screen.
- Added sounds to CS attacks in dialogue.
- Added sounds to Ganezzar.
- Improved some clothing textures.

Fixes:

- Fixed passability issues.
- Fixed journal issues.
- Fixed issue with Miltiades quest being available for all.
- Fixed and improved Hector and Darganus quests.
- Fixed issue with Miltiades quest in Ganezzar when failing to convince Hector.
- Fixed lack of gold from Ganezzar bazaar trader.
- Added missing sounds to some interface buttons.
- Fixed missing highlights for world map icons.
- Updated alchemy and crafting level effects description.
- Fixed collision issues on Zamedi, Inferiae, TG7 and Aemolas village.
- Fixed missing SP at the end of HA questline.
- Fixed several visual issues.

Changes:

- Rebalanced some stores.
- Added some loot at the bottom of Dead River.
- Constructs drop meteor metal, scolopendras and scorpions poison.
- Changed Death Hold No Secrets achievement to 20 screens with 1 character.
- Dead River Fog damages health.
- Tweaked music in several locations.

Combat Balance:

- Tweaked Miltiades Mercs equipment and stats.
- Constructs, scolopendras and scorpions add combat SP.

Nick

Iron Tower Studio
Developer
Thanks, gentlemen. This thread is so positive that I had to double-check the address bar to make sure I'm still reading the prestigious magazine.

Seriously, though, Codex is a true cradle of AoD, we remember :salute:

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Congratulations Vault Dweller. I will forgive one long-ass quote-battle debate with you in the past for each hour I spend on AoD. I suspect I'll spend ~100 hours on it, so in the end it will probably even out.

Seriously man, I hope the launch goes well for you.

likaq

Arcane
The innovation continues. You can target body parts in combat, and choose whether you want fast/heavy/targeted attacks, which use different amount of action points. Action points? Where do people come up with this stuff?

Another gem from steam, this time from old review ( 16 February )

a cut of domestic sheep prime

Turn-based gameplay and action points are not immersive. I want a AAA immersive game like MGSV where a character tells me to press "x" to crouch in the first five minutes of the game.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
My merchant is spinning his web over Teron.
:takemyjewgold:
I just had my first crash, hence the interruption to post this message. Other than that it's been running great and I haven't even seen a typo.

JudasIscariot

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014
A prestigious 1-star review on GoG:

Not sure who that is, never heard of 'em.

In any case, I'd like to congratulate Iron Tower Studios on your Age of Decadence release today :) Thanks from us at GOG for being awesome to work with and thank you for the great game :) Seriously, I was half-asleep at work today due to trying and retrying to make a decent assassin until 3 in the morning :)

JudasIscariot

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014
When can we expect the first DLC?

I saw a post of yours asking if AoD ran on Wine. I have good news for you: it does. I am running the game on Wine 1.7.50 and it runs decently. Just make sure to save before any location changes as the Torque Engine likes to lock up at times just like Dead State does when played via Wine. Fortunately enough, there are no weird fonts used in the game so you won't have the missing font issue during characte creation like in Dead State :)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom