Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Elder Scrolls The appeal of Skyrim

Do you like Skyrim?

• Yes, one of the best games ever made

• Yes, it was alright, but i got bored with it.

• Meh, not my type of RPG

• It was a bad RPG, didn't like it

• I am a sperg, i don't consider Skyrim to be an RPG, you fucking popamoler

Results are only viewable after voting.

Duralux for Durabux

TemplarGR you are trying too hard , just wait 20 years just like for Morrowind and Skyrim will be considered among the best here.

TemplarGR

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
Actually, Terraria which is far lower budget has far more users.

It is a different genre though. comparing apples to oranges again, to prove what?

I am tired of ultra-retards moving the goalposts every time just because they don't want to admit the truth cause it makes their rectums ache a little too much: Bethesda makes good single player CRPGs. Far better than most things you pretend to enjoy on this site.

It may not be the thing you enjoy, but you need to accept the truth, and the truth shall set you free. I can appreciate good games without enjoying playing them. I think Fifa is a great soccer game but i don't play soccer games, for example. Street Fighter V is a great fighting game but i don't play fighting games.

You people on the other hand, not only you pretend you are not playing Skyrim (you pathetic liars, SHOW YOUR STEAM PROFILE STATS), but you insist that since you are not playing it, it is a bad game.

You are just pathetic people.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Isn't there a thread on voting for what you believe the best Elderscrolls game is?

Finished Arena and only played Daggerfall.

My first was a bootlegged version from a pc game rental store. How they got away with renting was ridiculous and the manual was photocopied. I ended up buying it for $2 from them. Lol, the renting was $1.50. The store went under a few months later. I bought a used blackbox ultima 7 for cheap and a few other junk rentals like Terminator rampage, mechwarrior, and dozen more for a $1 each. Mind you, that shit was in terrible shape but the only bootleg rental in town.

I remember the Skyrim commercials. Looked pretty neat and I'm still pretty ignorant on all the features and comparisons. I also recall that Elderscrolls mobile game and looked upon it with interest. Again, my wifi sucks so it didn't boot up. Games i do have from Georgia i'll probably gave to delete on my phone.

TemplarGR

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
TemplarGR you are trying too hard , just wait 20 years just like for Morrowind and Skyrim will be considered among the best here.

I know that. I wasn't around the codex when Morrowind was brand new, but i am pretty sure every cool kid on the forum used to shit upon Morrowind then. It was the edgy cool thing to do. Arena and Daggerfall were better, Morrowind was so dumbed down, consolized trash for casuls.

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
Actually, Morrowind was received relatively well here. Much better than Sky--- oops, I don't want to trigger you.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Everything who isn't created by a corporate overlord to appeal to the lowest common denominator is trash.

I never pretended to not play skyrim. Making a analogy with food, Fast food sells more than health food and many people who criticize fast food eat it, that means that fast food is the best thing according to your logic.

Yes, I played a lot of skyrim and no, I don't think that is a masterpiece. Is just the video game equivalent to fast food

, just wait 20 years just like for Morrowind and Skyrim will be considered among the best here.

Oblivion is older than skyrim and everyone agrees that is the worse TES game.

Funposter

Arcane
It's weird, incoherent, and un-believable that's the main point people claim why morrowind is good.
Weird and "cohesive, believable" are not antonyms. If you got dropped into 15th century Japan or the Indus Valley circa 1300 BC, you would also think that they were "weird".

professional critics
Even you know that this is a non-argument. Professional game reviews have more in common with consumer catalogues than any valid form of artistic critique.

MWaser

Arbiter
, just wait 20 years just like for Morrowind and Skyrim will be considered among the best here.

After having done playthroughs of the entire series between 2019/2020 I have actually decided for myself that I find Skyrim worse than Oblivion (not to give much praise to Oblivion though - it is still major decline). But no, not qute everyone agrees.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine

After having done playthroughs of the entire series between 2019/2020 I have actually decided for myself that I find Skyrim worse than Oblivion (not to give much praise to Oblivion though - it is still major decline). But no, not qute everyone agrees.

When you reach high level, good lucky dealing with the worst level scaling ever...

MWaser

Arbiter

When you reach high level, good lucky dealing with the worst level scaling ever...
well, I played both Oblivion and Skyrim with a few mods (descaling and magic mods for both being the most important), so I suppose that particular shit feature was lost on me in Oblivion - Skyrim had more mods installed, was more unstable and still less enjoyable, so that's saying something.

Funposter

Arcane

well, I played both Oblivion and Skyrim with a few mods (descaling and magic mods for both being the most important), so I suppose that particular shit feature was lost on me in Oblivion - Skyrim had more mods installed, was more unstable and still less enjoyable, so that's saying something.
Base Oblivion is definitely worse than Skyrim, and the "mods" argument goes out of the window on account of Oblivion's instability (partially due to 3.3gb memory limit) and the startling breadth of mods available for Skyrim. I'm shocked that you said Skyrim was less stable, because in my experience Skyrim's stability (especially with SE) is rock solid when you take into account the amount of mods one can install, and Oblivion is a frustrating experience which also has a tendency to completely break if you install things in the wrong order or do something that it doesn't like. I suppose if you only installed one or two fixes, Oblivion becomes the better game on account of having more entertaining side quests, but at that point you're setting arbitrary limits on what can and can't be done. Truth be told, the quests and factions in both games are so boring that you're better off just spending all of your time dungeon crawling anyway.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine

Yep. You are right. But Obilvion is literally unplayble at higher levels, with max blunt weapons, max STR, and items enhancing my attributes, a Xiviali soaked literally 70 mace strikes before going down. You deal a tiny fraction of Morrowind damage and enemies on higher levels has ludicrous higher hp with percentage based armor reduction(which is the same as increased hp). I even tried a mod to multiply the damage deat and received by 10x but it din't worked.

Skyrim level scaling is awful? Yes, but the Oblivion has the WORST level scaling.

After certain point, each lv up gives no damage to the payer and more hp to soak dozens of hits from enemies.

edit : Morrowind did right. I had a enhanced weapon which could deal 40~90 damage, and armor is not percentage based

Last edited:

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Actually, Morrowind was received relatively well here. Much better than Sky--- oops, I don't want to trigger you.
Liar.
https://rpgcodex.net/forums/threads/why-does-everyone-hate-morrowind.10050/
https://rpgcodex.net/forums/threads/disappointments.1123/

Wrong. Morrowind got over 80% of approval rate on codex in 2005. This according to the link which you posted...

0bonEUO.png

StaticSpine

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I enjoyed and played the shit out of Skyrim back in 2011/2012 when it came out. I tried to replay it in 2020 and dropped it after the first dungeon. I just remembered how many more of those samey draugr-ridden caves are in the game. And overall, I kinda lost all interest in first-person and action-oriented games in general, sticking to something turn-based or non-realtime like Adventure games. The only exception in recent years was Dark Souls, but I got enough of it finishing all available Soulsborne games during 2014-2017, not sure I want more.

Overall, Skyrim is (was?) good for what it is and I enjoyed it more than Oblivion or Fallout 3.

Funposter

Arcane
Liar.
https://rpgcodex.net/forums/threads/why-does-everyone-hate-morrowind.10050/
https://rpgcodex.net/forums/threads/disappointments.1123/
The second thread really just proves that VD doesn't like Morrowind. Otherwise, a trend that I've observed (not just here, but also on places like /v/) is that Morrowind is generally disliked by people who really like Gothic and Gothic 2. IIRC, when votes were done for the last Codex Top RPGs with downvotes, Morrowind received the second most behind The Witcher 3, although it wasn't enough to drop out of the top 10. There has always been a group which disliked not just Morrowind, but Daggerfall and Arena also. What you're seeing with threads contemporary to the release of Morrowind is the coalescing of two groups - those who already disliked previous TES games, and those who liked Daggerfall and were disappointed by Morrowind because it was an entirely different kind of game.

Yep. You are right. But Obilvion is literally unplayble at higher levels, with max blunt weapons, max STR, and items enhancing my attributes, a Xiviali soaked literally 70 mace strikes before going down. You deal a tiny fraction of Morrowind damage and enemies on higher levels has ludicrous higher hp with percentage based armor reduction(which is the same as increased hp). I even tried a mod to multiply the damage deat and received by 10x but it din't worked.
Not sure why the mod didn't help, I just turned down the vanilla difficulty slider and it worked. It reduces the damage taken as well but that's a plus because at the halfway point (Normal) mountain lions were turning my daedric armor to ribbons in a few swipes.

table:

Oblivion: The Hardest Difficulty Strategy Guide - The Unofficial Elder Scrolls Pages (UESP)

Last edited:

Ocelot

Learned
I'd like Skyrim a lot more if it wasn't so homogenized and shallow. And if choosing a class or a faction would somewhat restrict you from interacting with other factions or class abilities. Skyrim takes the "chosen one" trope and tunes it up to 11. Races in particular are too similar. it's a world that is inhabited by exotic beastfolk and all kinds of elves and yet a literal cat-person is effectively just as good as sneaking as a Nord with the same build. Would be much more interesting to have Redguards being hostile to you for wearing mage robes, being able to explore underwater areas but only as an Argonian or frozen areas only as a Nord etc.

Just a very mediocre game in general. Not too bad, but not good either, especially as an RPG.

The only good thing about Skyrim is its vast collection of mods.

Gargaune

Magister
Bethesda makes good single player CRPGs.
Bethesda don't make CRPGs, they make Action-RPGs. More specifically, they make a very particular Action-RPG called Bethesda Game™. Now, sure, it might not have great RPG mechanics or plot or agency, but between an expansive, proven open-world formula and, quite possibly, the AAA sector's premier modding platform and community, I like Bethesda Game™. I can crap on its numerous flaws for hours, but I can still have plenty of fun with it for many more.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom