Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Atelier series

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
So, which of the newer ones have proper tb combat?

Reinhardt

Arcane
lulua and sophie 2. and all mysterious trilogy. firis was last atelier game with big playable cast.
rt is ryza thing.

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
That Ryza plot sure has escalated in the third game.

1663370696463839.jpg

cruel

Cipher

Puukko

Arcane
So, this game:

https://www.metacritic.com/game/playstation-4/atelier-sophie-2-the-alchemist-of-the-mysterious-dream

It's sitting on 9.0 user score, why? Is it good? I see turn based combat, which is cool, and I get some Ni No Kuni vibes, which is also good. Worth playing? How is the combat, story, characters? Any memorable moments? Or it's another brain-dead game that plays by itself and you remember nothing after few weeks? Also, do I need to play the first one first or not really?
Wrote a review on it:

https://rpgcodex.net/forums/threads/the-atelier-series.96519/post-7913852

Rafidur

Learned
So, this game:

https://www.metacritic.com/game/playstation-4/atelier-sophie-2-the-alchemist-of-the-mysterious-dream

It's sitting on 9.0 user score, why? Is it good? I see turn based combat, which is cool, and I get some Ni No Kuni vibes, which is also good. Worth playing? How is the combat, story, characters? Any memorable moments? Or it's another brain-dead game that plays by itself and you remember nothing after few weeks? Also, do I need to play the first one first or not really?

Combat is pretty great if you use a save file to unlock the real difficulties, alchemy is fun, plot and characters are garbage without any substance, music is forgettable.

Gerrard

Arcane
Every Atelier game goes on sale except Lulua, what the fuck. It hasn't been on sale since April last year. :argh:

Gerrard

Arcane
Surprised they would return to the SD style characters with portraits.

Rafidur

Learned
The graphics looked too low quality for a mobile gacha spinoff, so Switch makes more sense.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
I had heard rumors of a Marie remake since last year. Very glad to see that it wasn't merely rumors. Disappointed with the chibi graphics, however.

Endemic

Arcane
I had heard rumors of a Marie remake since last year. Very glad to see that it wasn't merely rumors. Disappointed with the chibi graphics, however.

I didn't mind that actually when I played the fan translated PS2 port. The problem is the alchemy\combat feel too simplistic if you played the more modern localised games first.

Hobo Elf

Arcane

I didn't mind that actually when I played the fan translated PS2 port. The problem is the alchemy\combat feel too simplistic if you played the more modern localised games first.
Started with Mana Khemia so having simple alchemy is np. As enjoyable as flipping traits for hours on end is, I'm also in it for the music and relaxed atmosphere. I'm sure the Marie remake will deliver on those two fronts. I had just hoped that we were getting Marie with modern Atelier fidelity. Or go with 2D sprites again if they want chibi, since it works well there. I don't think chibi translates well to 3D.

Puukko

Arcane
If you're not in a deep pit of mental entanglement after hours of back and forth minmaxing to the tune of upbeat music and squeaky incomprehensible chatter, is it really alchemy?

Maxie

Wholesome Chungus
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
it's time to get on with the times my good friend, it's alchemy when you get hardly inconspicuous shots of plump thighs these days

Late Bloomer

Scholar
Where should I start? I would prefer no time limit mechanic if possible. They are pretty much all on sale on steam atm. Thoughts on bundles, dlc etc?

Maxie

Wholesome Chungus
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Where should I start? I would prefer no time limit mechanic if possible. They are pretty much all on sale on steam atm. Thoughts on bundles, dlc etc?
Atelier Sophie 1 or Atelier Ryza 1 are both painless introductions, Sophie being TB, Ryza being active turn combat, neither has a time limit

Dusk has the most interesting aesthetics and setting and the least amount of moeblob/swimsuit stuff.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom