Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The average age of gamers

baronjohn

Cipher
You probably heard this several times

the average age for a gamer is 37 years old, according to a report from the Entertainment Software Association,
but how true is this total untruth?

Well you can read the infographic "report" here: http://www.theesa.com/facts/pdfs/ESA_EF_2011.pdf

As you can see, it doesn't actually cite any sources.

So how did they get to that number? Well, they probably just pulled it out of their asses in a attempt to hold onto an aging market. You know, the sort of thing marketers, whose job is to lie, do.

What else could generate such fantastic numbers? Remember how you have to enter your birth date to get to watch trailers and how you always just scroll right to the bottom and select 1900 (or 1911, or 1942). That's another strong possibility.

In conclusion, the average age of gamers is probably around 14. Don't believe statements just because they come from authorative sounding yet completely unknown institutions.

Peter

Arcane
I bet soccer moms playing Facebook games actually brings the number up a bit higher than what we assume it is (13-25, generally speaking), but yeah, 37 sounds ludicrous.

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
http://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q=cac ... p9OQ&pli=1

ALL DATA IN THIS DOCUMENT IS FROM THE ESA’S 2008 CONSUMER SURVEY UNLESS OTHERWISE NOTED.The Entertainment Software Association (ESA) released its 2008 Essential Facts About the Computer and Video Game Industry in July 2008. The data included in 2008 Essential Facts was gathered in an annual study conducted by Ipsos-MediaCT for the ESA. The study is the most in-depth and targeted survey of its kind, gathering data from over 1,200 nationally representative households that have been identified as owning either or both a video game console or a personal computer used to run entertainment software.

Reading is teh hard.

The 2011 Essential Facts About the Computer and Video Game Industry was released by the Entertainment Software Association (ESA) at E3 2011. The annual research was conducted by Ipsos MediaCT for the ESA. The study is the most in-depth and targeted survey of its kind, gathering data from almost 1,200 nationally representative households that have been identified as owning either or both a video game console or a personal computer used to run entertainment software.

GrudHeap

Novice
So you're suggesting that there are just as many gamers aged 1-13 as gamers 15+? There are a lot of numbers higher than 14.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
I like these dubious statistics. They allow me to point out to my wife in triumph that I'm not even at the average age of those that play games, when she whines that I'm too old for them.

MikeJahn

Educated
Assuming this is true it sounds like companies are missing out and completely targeting the wrong demographic.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
commie said:
I like these dubious statistics. They allow me to point out to my wife in triumph that I'm not even at the average age of those that play games, when she whines that I'm too old for them.
Just make her play MM1, and when she gives up in frustration point out to her that, if the game is too difficult for her, then this means she's in fact too young for gaming, and by extension so are you. :smug:

No wait scratch that. What if she decides to use this as an excuse to take the toys and lock them up? :/

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom