Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Baldur's Gate The Baldur's Gate Series Thread

Discussion in 'BioWare' started by Sunsetspawn, Feb 21, 2013.

1. Seari Cipher Patron

Seari
    Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    There's this, but I've never tried it myself. Found a video with instructions on how to make it work.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Eyestabber Arcane Patron

Eyestabber
    PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015

YESS!!! This! Thanks! Will try it latter, after work. (yeah, I know, I'm not exactly running for "employee of the month" here)

^ Top  
  3. Seari Cipher Patron

Seari
    Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    It works.

picture from their gallery (open)
    [​IMG]

^ Top  
  4. agris Arcane Patron

agris
    After briefly searching, it looks like the state of windows emulation on android is shit. But, it's relatively easy to install a linux distro on android, and from there use wine to run any IE games. There is a wine games database to help you with the settings.

If that sounds like gobbledygook, then you're better off getting the EEs. You can ignore the companions anyways.

^ Top  
  5. waywardOne Arcane

waywardOne
    Anyone trying to push "lack of bugs" as a reason to favor EE, here ya go (from Beamdog forums, current patch as of April 30, 2015):

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  6. aVENGER Prestigious Gentleman Arcane Developer

aVENGER
    While the patch(es) do fix bugs that are exclusive to the EEs, it should be said that many of the bugs listed in the change logs were (and still are) present in the original games. Some of those bugs are engine related (hardcoded) but they are easy to fix for us due to our access to the source code. On the other hand, modders would have to create workarounds or alter the game executable (which can be quite difficult) in order to correct those issues.

That said, we do try to externalize (unhardcode) as much of the engine functionality as possible to make things easier for modders. For example, IWD:EE is significantly easier to mod than the original Icewind Dale was.

^ Top  
  7. Eyestabber Arcane Patron

Eyestabber
  8. potatojohn Arcane

potatojohn
    How in the world would you play BG on a tablet anyway? Do you hook up a mouse?

^ Top  
  9. Eyestabber Arcane Patron

Eyestabber
    Wireless keyboard + touchscreen result in a pretty decent interface. Try it out. I too was skeptical at first. Your flights will start feeling MUCH shorter.

^ Top  
  10. ArchAngel Arcane Sad Loser

ArchAngel
    you don't even need the keyboard. It is slower but doable.

^ Top  
  11. Eyestabber Arcane Patron

Eyestabber
    Doable, yes. But awkward as fuck.

^ Top  
  12. Tigranes Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Tigranes
    Any new modification of software will introduce some new bugs, and what Avenger says about EE being able to fix older bugs is true.

My argument that EE is a silly purchase comes from the fact that it's twice the money for basically a tiny few improvements then a bucketload of why would you make the game worse 'improvements'.

Android emulation is still very imperfect, however, and so if you must play BG on your tablet EE would be the best option.

^ Top  
  13. DeepOcean Arcane

DeepOcean
    What are you doing exploring the wilderness areas on a replay? They are really boring and you won't lose much ignoring them. The only reason to go on the wilderness areas is to go after the few companions in there to get who you want, go get some protection against petrification scrolls, kill basilisks to quickly level up and go straight on the main quest until reaching Baldur's Gate. The best stuff is in Baldur's Gate then go play Durlag's Tower. After that, go play the real game, BG 2.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. Eyestabber Arcane Patron

Eyestabber
    You forgot "remember to collect all the + attribute tomes before exporting" part. Because power game is not a means to an end, power gaming is the end.

^ Top  
  15. kmonster Augur

kmonster
    If you don't like the added NPCs just don't use them. The monk (and the annoying sorc) were kicked out within a few minutes. The wild mage and blackguard were definitely better designed than many of the original NPCs.

^ Top  
  16. Volrath Arcane Patron

Volrath
    Yeah, mods will fix it.

Show Spoiler
    :troll:
    Show Spoiler
    Let's be serious though, Baldur's Gate was utter shit.

^ Top  
  17. Eyestabber Arcane Patron

Eyestabber
  18. Somberlain Arcane Zionist Agent

Somberlain
    BG1 is fairly boring and vastly inferior to BG2. Disliking BG1 does not mean that you like shitty action games like Dragon Age.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. likaq Arcane

likaq
    Actually, even dragon age inquisition is way better than bg1.
    bg1=oblivion of its time at best, one of the biggest harbinger of decline at worst.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  20. waywardOne Arcane

waywardOne
    The game didn't just come out last week, and many of those bugs were not present in the originals.

You know what would make it easier for the modders? Updating the IESDP. Releasing Raph from his nda + non-compete so he can return to ToBEx. Letting Erephine fix 1pp v4 once and for all.

Even better, give PC players the option (just like the other platforms) for Beamdog's content to be optional.

You're a good guy, but you associate (and defend) assholes.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. aVENGER Prestigious Gentleman Arcane Developer

aVENGER
    After IWD:EE came out, pretty much all of the new engine functionality was posted on the IESDP forum. For example, hereis a list of our new opcodes . Updating the IESDP itself is of course up to the volunteers who maintain it, but the info is out there.

I don't think it works quite like that. I know that nobody told me "you can no longer make/update mods now that you're working for Beamdog". Granted, I do have less time for modding now. And in truth, it's a bit harder to justify spending your free time on modding when you're doing something very similar as your day job (you generally want to do something different when you're not working). But when I wanted to update my mods, I did it on my own time and no one complained.

• Brofist Brofist x 6
    ^ Top  
  22. agris Arcane Patron

agris
    Glad you stick around, despite the negativity. :salute:

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  23. waywardOne Arcane

waywardOne
    Look, I really appreciate you responding, so I can't tell if you're being naive or disingenuous, but there's a huge difference between the modding guys like you and Liam do, and what R and Erephine did. Legally, Beamdog "could have" (my opinion and totally non-legally liable) shut both of them down because of actual legal issues, whereas the vast majority of (non-technical) mods don't infringe EULAs or IP laws in anywhere near the same way. People can make all the ruleset tweaks and NPC mods they want, but modifying the exe or redistributing derivative (from original) art assets is completely different. The fact that the only modders to go completely dark right before BGEE launch were those two speaks volumes about why it happened. Two other "hackers", Miloch and bigg, have done virtually nothing in 2.5 years, probably for the same reasons. Legally enforceable NDAs are an easy excuse for people not to clue you in, especially if you think you still have something to gain (or lose).

^ Top  
  24. AetherVagrant Savant Patron

AetherVagrant
    :ehue:

^ Top  
  25. ArchAngel Arcane Sad Loser

ArchAngel
    I played Bg1 and BG1EE too many times to count and I still enjoy exploring all the maps although I done it 100 times.

^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.