Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Which was, over all, the best of the Infinity Engine games?

• Baldur's Gate (1998) + Tales of the Sword Coast (1999)

• Planescape: Torment (1999)

• Icewind Dale (2000) + Heart of Winter (2001)

• Baldur's Gate II: Shadows of Amn (2000) + Throne of Bhaal (2001)

• Icewind Dale II (2002)

• Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition (2012) + Siege of Dragonspear (2016)

• Baldur's Gate II: Enhanced Edition (2013)

• Planescape: Torment: Enhanced Edition (2017)

• The Imoen Romance Modification (King & Comrade)

• They were all irredeemable garbage. An ill omen of things to come.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Corvinus

Arcane
Let's settle this once and for all. Which was, over all, the best of the Infinity Engine games?

The choices include all content up to and including the final patch - meaning the entire product.
'EE' denotes the 'Enhanced Edition'. Which are later, separate versions all together.

You get one choice and cannot change it once you have voted. It will also be possible to see what you voted for. Please motivate your choice here with a few lines of text, so that you can be bullied for your shit taste.

Corvinus

Arcane
I'll say this myself:

While it is doubtful that the IE games were a sign of true incline, I'd say that the first one, Baldur's Gate (1998) is a more than passable attempt to translate a low-level D&D campaign to digital output. Such a campaign would probably be impossible in the P&P format (just try to survive from beginning to end without getting killed and reloading a save!), but still. As for the others... BGII is nice but it goes overboard with level inflation. The Icewind Dales has too little interaction besides combat for me and I never once cared for PT's 'afterlife' setting. The EE's are obviously for those who enjoy a side of POZ to go with the culture death, and as such, no thanks.

Glop_dweller

Prophet
Icewind Dale (which I like very much) has critically flawed AI mechanics. The game treats sighting a lone scout as though sighting the entire party—even in a twisting labyrinth. This means that when a chased party member evades pursuers (especially by use of invisibility spell), the NPC/monsters all switch to attack the next non-invisible party member... even if they are hidden on the other side of the map, past a dozen walls and corners. The result is a that all monsters join a laughable (shortest path) conga line from one side of the map to the other, in order to attack PCs they could never have known about.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Torment for a storyfag,IWD for a combatfag and BG for explorofag. As a avid storyfag archmaster i voted for torment :smug:.

Also is there some gift for the people that vote EE,like a perma ban or stack of razor blades? Why even put them in?

I go with BG1, because it gave and still gives me an unparalleled feeling of adventure, freedom, exploration and believable world building. On second place PS:T because of its narrative mastership. I never particularly enjoyed BG2 however - it has great quests but always felt more like a sightseeing tour than an adventure for me, jumping from one highlight to the next almost without transitions. I only completed it two or three times. IWD felt too much on rails for my taste and the endless battles were interesting to experiment with tactics but became very tedious for me. I hear that IWD2 is better but I never really played it for more than some hours.

Last edited:

Dramart

Learned
BGII has the best combat encounters, the best dungeons not annoying like IWD or BG1 and not boring like IWDII. IWDII dungeons are dull, like the ice temple and Draong's Eye (this trash dungeon is also in IWD1) and the other near the end where you have to travel in time to the past. Torment is okay if you like its setting and story but the fights are pathetic. Also in BGII you can go almost instantly to places you have to visit often like the INN in Athkatla, not like the bad designed Kuldahar in IWD1. All the other games lack at something but BGII is the perfect game almost flawless.

Radiane

Cipher
My vote goes to IWD as well... uses the Infinity Engine quite well for all the combat and just overall great game, and the story is also pretty decent (imo still better than BG).

Gargaune

Magister
Baldur's Gate 2. It's not the best at any single thing, but it's more than competent in each department and comes together wonderfully. And I'm not entirely on board with BG2 getting both regular and EE poll entries, but okay, in that case Quickloot over Neera.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
I voted Icewind Dale since it's the party based CRPG I've played most times.
BG1 is very solid with SCS installed, the Bandit Camp battle being one of best CRPG battles ever.
I used to love BG2, but I guess I got a severe cheese overdose when I played Throne of Bhaal. The base game also deteriorates once you reach The Underdark and start massacring Beholder and Mind Flayers.
I'd rather read a book than play PST.

Corvinus

Arcane
The base game also deteriorates once you reach The Underdark and start massacring Beholder and Mind Flayers.

That's exactly the part I had in mind when I said "BGII is nice but it goes overboard with level inflation". Still good entertainment, but yeah... A bit much maybe.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Icewind Dale. Great atmosphere, sense of adventure, beautiful and evocative locations, fun combat, and minimal writing that gets the job done. Perfectly captures the spirit of a good dungeon crawl adventure.

Bonus points because the soundtrack will stay with you forever:

Last edited:

Faarbaute

Arbiter
Everytime Icewind Dale is brought up I get the urge to reinstall and replay it again.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Every game based on Bioware's execrable Infinity Engine has terrible combat and exploration.

Planescape: Torment has an incredible setting (courtesy of David Zeb Cook) and great writing (courtesy of Chris Avellone), which combine to make it worth playing despite the deficiencies of the gameplay.

:drink:

curds

Magister
Voted for PST because I simply don't enjoy IE combat. For me the engine is better suited for adventure game style shit than tactical RPG shit due to those pre-rendered bakgrounds.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Sooo looking at the stats,it seems that rusty is our only retard...for now.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom