Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

NWN The Blades of Netheril - unofficial sequel to NWN1 OC from Ossian's Luke Scull

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
NWN OC is the worst RPG ever made. I was hoping Ossian would be making their own game now, in an engine that doesn't suck...

This is just meh.

There are far worse RPGs out there, it was just utterly mediocre

Luke Scull

Ossian Studios
Developer
Luke is one of the most highly regarded module authors in the NWN community since the near-beginning but, ironically, I've played a lot of NWN HOF modules but never played any of his. Time to change that.

Don't expect great things from the first one, it's old and a bit shit. Actually, none of my modules (even the enhanced Tyrants) are everything I'd hope.

NWN OC is the worst RPG ever made. I was hoping Ossian would be making their own game now, in an engine that doesn't suck...

This is just meh.

Who's to say they're not?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
No no. He's saying this is not an Ossian game. It's a personal project. Ossian are doing something else.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
There are people in this world using their precious time to make sequels for Neverwinter Nights' original campaign

NwN has one of the most active modding communities (20+ years). Aurora is one of the best toolsets of all time. Plus it got us Swordflight, one of the best RPGs of all time.

Last edited:

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
Luke is one of the most highly regarded module authors in the NWN community since the near-beginning but, ironically, I've played a lot of NWN HOF modules but never played any of his. Time to change that.

Don't expect great things from the first one, it's old and a bit shit. Actually, none of my modules (even the enhanced Tyrants) are everything I'd hope.

Well, maybe you're just a perfectionist. The late Truman Capote for example hated everything he ever wrote (I hated everything he ever wrote too) but he was just being one of them there pesky perfectionists. Doesn't mean his stuff (some) wasn't objectively good (or subjectively bad, from my POV) :?

Chippy

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
There were better engines, but when talented people make great stories and engaging (couldn't think of another buzzword) modules, then it's worth my time and money.

Suppose I'll have to buy NWN:EE now. :roll:

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
I remember when the supreme RPG Codex website proclaimed NWN dead at arrival and stated that within 5 years nobody would play or care about the game. 20 years later, and here we are.... HAHAHAHAHAH.

I remember when I had to explain to a classmate how this game is totally like Diablo 2, so that we can share the money required to get the local internet cafe to download a torrent and burn the 6 CDs for the game.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
There are people in this world using their precious time to make sequels for Neverwinter Nights' original campaign

NwN has one of the most active modding communities (20+ years). Because Aurora is one of the best toolsets of all time. Plus it got us Swordflight, one of the best RPGs of all time.

I kinda enjoyed Swordflight but it was still dragged down massively by the shit-tier gameplay of NWN.

I'm one of those guys who value quest and encounter design over everything else, but NWN's core gameplay is so irredeemably terrible that even the best modules in the world can't save it.

I can appreciate Swordflight and other modules of its kind, but whenever I play them I can't help but think "I wish this had been made for a game that's actually fun."

DeepOcean

Arcane
Why not using the characters and the city but pretending the OC story never happened?

Luke Scull

Ossian Studios
Developer
Why not using the characters and the city but pretending the OC story never happened?

That's more or less the case. Except the PC won't be returning to Neverwinter, since they've been exiled and are in a prison in Skullport with their recent memories erased.

Luke Scull

Ossian Studios
Developer

They sort of did their own thing. Some mobile crap

The Shadow Sun was stupidly underrated, by the standards of mobile games.

The mistake was to make a mobile game

Yeah, it was. 4 years developing a mobile game was stupid. In the end, we'd have been better off developing it as a PC title. Plus, it launched in the same week at KotoR and cost the same or more. But I insist it was a very good mobile phone RPG.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron

Yeah, it was. 4 years developing a mobile game was stupid. In the end, we'd have been better off developing it as a PC title. Plus, it launched in the same week at KotoR and cost the same or more. But I insist it was a very good mobile phone RPG.

PC games have long tails, mobile games get forgotten

Edit: Same dev cost as KotoR, holy moly that's sad

Luke Scull

Ossian Studios
Developer

PC games have long tails, mobile games get forgotten

Edit: Same dev cost as KotoR, holy moly that's sad

Not dev cost - I meant it was launched on the store at the same price, or maybe a bit more. We weren't to know KotoR would launch on mobile the same week as we planned to. In retrospect, the title of "The Shadow Sun" wasn't very descriptive and the app icon looked like an early 2000s Windows icon. We've learned our lesson.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"Yes. It's a sequel to the OC that also hooks in to the expansions and my AL series. It is set weeks/months after both. Anyone familiar with my penchant for antiheroes, grimdarkery, tragedy and action sequences unrivaled in their manliness will see that the Realms are about to get fucked up."

You better add sexy babes with nice tits and great assses oh my its heaven.

"NWN OC is the worst RPG ever made."

FAKE NEWS unless NWN OC is the only RPG you have ever played.

POR2, ES series, and DTU are just three exmaples of MUCH, MUCH, MUCH worse RPGS.

So stop lying.

Chippy

Arcane
Patron
Maybe Luke Scull could write an expansion for an IE game in the future?. Something centred around the party members of BG1? Like Yeslick trying to restore his clan's mine, or the mind flayers getting control of Durlag's Tower. I'm sure something along those lines would be well recieved.

Might take Beamdog 5+ years to make it, and another 5+ to patch it though. But I'm sure the avergage Codexer would get the game in before a save vs old age/death.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom