1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Development Info The Broken Hourglass is Forever Broken

Discussion in 'News & Content Feedback' started by Jason, Aug 25, 2011.

1. Jason chasing a bee

Jason
    Tags: Planewalker Games; The Broken Hourglass

<p>Jason Compton has given up on his story-driven, Baldur's Gate-influenced indie RPG, <a href="http://www.planewalkergames.com/" target="_blank"><strong>The Broken Hourglass</strong></a>.</p>
    <blockquote>Planewalker Games LLC is formally abandoning development of The Broken Hourglass as a commercial product. I have concluded that it is infeasible for PWG to deliver the game promised, and unacceptable to try to market a product that would not meet expectations. I take full responsibility for this decision and the factors leading to the conclusion.<br /><br />It is my intention to release the game materials for TBH and the underlying WeiNGINE game code in some open source/open content license model which will permit the ongoing exploration and development of the game as a non-commercial, community project. The exact licenses and scope of this public release have not yet been determined, and there is no specific timetable for this public release to happen. The intention will be to give the greater community the best chance possible to explore the potential of TBH and to honor the efforts of the dozens of people who have been involved with TBH's development over the years.<br /><br />Support from RPG players and press has been overwhelmingly positive and constant during the long development cycle of TBH and I am extremely grateful. It remains to be seen if PWG will attempt a commercial project of more manageable scope in the future. Until that day, please accept my apologies for coming short of the mark, and my thanks for your interest.<br /><br />- Jason Compton</blockquote>
    <p><br /><em>Thanks to oldmanpaco for sharing</em></p>
    <p>&nbsp;</p>

^ Top  
  2. Jaesun Fabulous Moderator

Jaesun
    Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
    :salute: Jason Compton and the team releasing the code open source. Sad to see it project die though.

Now some modding team grab this, implement turn based combat and make it very mod friendly and let the cRPG incline fucking begin.

^ Top  
  3. MuscleSpark Augur Patron

MuscleSpark

^ Top  
  4. Excidium P. banal

Self-Ejected
    I guess one can dream. :lol:

^ Top  
  5. bhlaab Arbiter

bhlaab
    and down goes another one

^ Top  
  6. bhlaab Arbiter

bhlaab
    is Shelter dead? havent heard anything about it for a while

^ Top  
  7. Excidium P. banal

Self-Ejected
    Shelter is not dead, just on hold.

^ Top  
  8. SCO Arcane In My Safe Space

SCO
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong
  9. sgc_meltdown Arcane

sgc_meltdown
    Cursed Ware of the Vapor

^ Top  
  10. villain of the story Arcane

villain of the story
    MCA
    That came about a year late than I've expected.

^ Top  
  11. Higher Game Arcane

Higher Game
    I thought it was coming out on Thursday. :(

^ Top  
  12. curry Arcane

curry
    I knew it. People shouldn't hype their vapourware crap until they actually have something playable ffs. :x

^ Top  
  13. commie The Last Marxist Patron

commie
    Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
    Iron Tower is already busy with it's vaporware. Don't think they can take on a second project.

• Shit Shit x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. PrzeSzkoda Augur

PrzeSzkoda
    Project: Eternity
    That's what you get for jinxing your title.

Anyhow, I'm quite eager to check out their tech once it becomes open source.

^ Top  
  15. Andyman Messiah Mr. Ed-ucated

Andyman Messiah
    Andyman then: What?

Andyman now: What?

^ Top  
  16. Serious_Business Best Poster on the Codex

Serious_Business
    The new dissapointment now is not realising that a commercial game is horrible even though we expected much more - we've all been betrayed enough to realise that happens all the time - it's seeing all these nonsense vaporware designer optimists that want to do this in order to get a job in the game industry. They're supposed to be on our side, right? By players for players? Yeah. Another reason to become even more jaded about this shit, I love it

^ Top  
  17. sgc_meltdown Arcane

sgc_meltdown
    oh Serious Business I want to hire you to visit orphanages and read eastern european literature to children during bedtime

^ Top  
  18. Vault Dweller Commissar, Red Star Studio Developer

Vault Dweller
    Its vaporware, not it's.

^ Top  
  19. Aikanaro Liturgist

Aikanaro
    Why do indie RPG developers go for such large-scope games? Something small scope with a good chance of being completed in a reasonable timeframe is infinitely preferable to a huge complex 1999-commercial-grade RPG that will almost certainly turn into nothing (and given how many times this has happened - we know it will turn to nothing). Especially for a group's first project, with everyone working on it part-time. Big projects like this are the sort of thing you need to build up to.

^ Top  
  20. sgc_meltdown Arcane

sgc_meltdown
    Perhaps their initial driving motivation was from the grandeur of their project. Like when you can see in your head how it's going to be, and it's that good that it keeps you going. Big dreams = motivation.

I think I read in Stephen King's On Writing that when every writer starts out, they want to do their dream project first, their dream book, the perfect story that they've always wanted. That's when they have the most ambition but none of the practical experience.

^ Top  
  21. mikaelis Prophet Patron

mikaelis
    Codex 2013 Codex 2014
    ITS secured the worldwide patent for all Next Thursday releases you DUMMKOPF!!!

^ Top  
  22. Davaris Australian Game Developers Developer

Davaris

What do you mean by large scope? Art, code, or design? The biggest parts of an RPG is the code and design and scripting parts. Art is big in any game, if you want it to look commercial. If you are saying big in terms of, why do they try to make RPGs instead some casual game? Well its because they really like RPGs.

^ Top  
  23. bhlaab Arbiter

bhlaab
    saaaame thiiiing

^ Top  
  24. Vault Dweller Commissar, Red Star Studio Developer

Vault Dweller
    Pretty much.

^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.