Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Development Info The Broken Hourglass is Forever Broken

Jason

chasing a bee
Tags: Planewalker Games; The Broken Hourglass

<p>Jason Compton has given up on his story-driven, Baldur's Gate-influenced indie RPG, <a href="http://www.planewalkergames.com/" target="_blank"><strong>The Broken Hourglass</strong></a>.</p>
<blockquote>Planewalker Games LLC is formally abandoning development of The Broken Hourglass as a commercial product. I have concluded that it is infeasible for PWG to deliver the game promised, and unacceptable to try to market a product that would not meet expectations. I take full responsibility for this decision and the factors leading to the conclusion.<br /><br />It is my intention to release the game materials for TBH and the underlying WeiNGINE game code in some open source/open content license model which will permit the ongoing exploration and development of the game as a non-commercial, community project. The exact licenses and scope of this public release have not yet been determined, and there is no specific timetable for this public release to happen. The intention will be to give the greater community the best chance possible to explore the potential of TBH and to honor the efforts of the dozens of people who have been involved with TBH's development over the years.<br /><br />Support from RPG players and press has been overwhelmingly positive and constant during the long development cycle of TBH and I am extremely grateful. It remains to be seen if PWG will attempt a commercial project of more manageable scope in the future. Until that day, please accept my apologies for coming short of the mark, and my thanks for your interest.<br /><br />- Jason Compton</blockquote>
<p><br /><em>Thanks to oldmanpaco for sharing</em></p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
:salute: Jason Compton and the team releasing the code open source. Sad to see it project die though.

Now some modding team grab this, implement turn based combat and make it very mod friendly and let the cRPG incline fucking begin.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
Jaesun said:
Now some modding team grab this, implement turn based combat and make it very mod friendly and let the cRPG incline fucking begin.
I guess one can dream. :lol:

bhlaab

Erudite
is Shelter dead? havent heard anything about it for a while

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Jaesun said:

Iron Tower is already busy with it's vaporware. Don't think they can take on a second project.

PrzeSzkoda

Augur
Project: Eternity
That's what you get for jinxing your title.

Anyhow, I'm quite eager to check out their tech once it becomes open source.

Serious_Business

Best Poster on the Codex
The new dissapointment now is not realising that a commercial game is horrible even though we expected much more - we've all been betrayed enough to realise that happens all the time - it's seeing all these nonsense vaporware designer optimists that want to do this in order to get a job in the game industry. They're supposed to be on our side, right? By players for players? Yeah. Another reason to become even more jaded about this shit, I love it

sgc_meltdown

Arcane
oh Serious Business I want to hire you to visit orphanages and read eastern european literature to children during bedtime

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
commie said:
Jaesun said:

Iron Tower is already busy with it's vaporware. Don't think they can take on a second project.
Its vaporware, not it's.

Aikanaro

Liturgist
Why do indie RPG developers go for such large-scope games? Something small scope with a good chance of being completed in a reasonable timeframe is infinitely preferable to a huge complex 1999-commercial-grade RPG that will almost certainly turn into nothing (and given how many times this has happened - we know it will turn to nothing). Especially for a group's first project, with everyone working on it part-time. Big projects like this are the sort of thing you need to build up to.

sgc_meltdown

Arcane
Aikanaro said:
Why do indie RPG developers go for such large-scope games?

Perhaps their initial driving motivation was from the grandeur of their project. Like when you can see in your head how it's going to be, and it's that good that it keeps you going. Big dreams = motivation.

I think I read in Stephen King's On Writing that when every writer starts out, they want to do their dream project first, their dream book, the perfect story that they've always wanted. That's when they have the most ambition but none of the practical experience.

Self-Ejected

Davaris

Self-Ejected
Developer
Aikanaro said:
Why do indie RPG developers go for such large-scope games? Something small scope with a good chance of being completed in a reasonable timeframe is infinitely preferable to a huge complex 1999-commercial-grade RPG that will almost certainly turn into nothing (and given how many times this has happened - we know it will turn to nothing). Especially for a group's first project, with everyone working on it part-time. Big projects like this are the sort of thing you need to build up to.

What do you mean by large scope? Art, code, or design? The biggest parts of an RPG is the code and design and scripting parts. Art is big in any game, if you want it to look commercial. If you are saying big in terms of, why do they try to make RPGs instead some casual game? Well its because they really like RPGs.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Davaris said:
Aikanaro said:

What do you mean by large scope? Art, code, or design? The biggest parts of an RPG is the code and design and scripting parts. Art is big in any game, if you want it to look commercial. If you are saying big in terms of, why do they try to make RPGs instead some casual game? Well its because they really like RPGs.
Pretty much.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom