Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Callisto Protocol - new survival horror from Dead Space creator

Tehdagah

Arcane
Oh no, it got the melee slide. Disgusting.
I don't understand the idea that horror games should have poor combat.

ferratilis

Magister
It's cool how the main character's name is Jacob (one of Isaac's sons in the Bible is named Jacob), a subtle middle finger to EA to show that this is supposed to be the legitimate Dead Space sequel.

MichaelB

Literate

some new info on the story and the overall mystery:
Q: speaking of the creatures, what are we actually fighting?
GS: the virus itself is ancient. It was extracted from this moon a long time ago. There's remnants of the ancient beasts, but scientists also took this virus, mess with it, and they tried to make men better.

Q: why is Jacob on Callisto?
GS: he gets boarded by another group that wants some of his cargo, and in that boarding they crash-land.

I wish there was a hard sci-fi game focused on small scale infighting in the shadow of greater space expansion projects.

toughasnails

It's cool how the main character's name is Jacob (one of Isaac's sons in the Bible is named Jacob), a subtle middle finger to EA to show that this is supposed to be the legitimate Dead Space sequel.
Btw is your comment aimed at Dead Space 2 or 3?
I think that 2 is actually p fine. It did come from that period where it seemed like every other TPS adjacent game tried to emulate Uncharted (2), I think Uncharted was even explicitly invoked pre release. So it ended up being more bombastic, with a bit streamlined level design and encounters that felt like movie setpieces. Maybe it isn't where the team initially planned to take Dead Space, either as a game or plot-wise, but the end result was still a fine game.

gerey

Arcane
Zionist Agent
Just watched the trailer and it doesn't look good.

For one, the person playing in the trailer has the motor and cognitive skills of a game journalist, for the other they've yet to show why the player should even bother with melee or ranged combat when he can just throw enemies into environmental hazards. I didn't notice any sort of gauge detailing how many times the player cast telekinesis.

Also, the stealth looks genuinely shit. The fuckwit playing even turns the flashlight on right in front of the enemy without it noticing or reacting in any way.

Both stealth and telekinesis seem like the much easier and more efficient ways to deal with enemies, so I can't imagine why anyone would bother with combat since they've shown the enemies to be damage sponges. It should not take that many melee hits to kill an enemy.

They need to severely ration the use of telekinesis and make stealth much more risky, either by nerfing stealth kills or by increasing enemy awareness. Also, melee needs to be buffed, or at the very least the player should have the chance to spec into melee since it seems to be more involved than in Dead Space, where it was a last resort, what with all the blocking and dodges.

Last edited:

The Wall

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
One of the very few things that looks interesting and playable. For lack of better words: real videogame. Gamescom 2022 should have been on target list for ISKANDER rocket attacks for Russian Ministry of Defense. Mainstream gaming does not belong to my Civilization. Itz La La Land

ferratilis

Magister
He had to delete the tweet because gaming media caught whiff and started attacking him lol. By gaming media, I mean Schreier and his knoblickers.
https://web.archive.org/web/2022090....com/GlenSchofield/status/1566052625585303553
image.png

lightbane

Arcane
I don't get it. Why is he being attacked by saying he's working hard at making the game, as he should?

SumDrunkGuy

Day 1 purchase. This game is the sole reason I need to aquire a PS5 and/or Steam Deck before holiday season. Or atleast get my Pro repaired. I ain't playing this on no base PS4 pos.

notpl

Arbiter
I don't get it. Why is he being attacked by saying he's working hard at making the game, as he should?
Because he's the CEO and he's saying "we're" hard at work making the game, which presumably includes people hired on salary under terms he is most assuredly breaking.

Tehdagah

Arcane
He had to delete the tweet because gaming media caught whiff and started attacking him lol. By gaming media, I mean Schreier and his knoblickers.
https://web.archive.org/web/2022090....com/GlenSchofield/status/1566052625585303553
image.png
Working 12-15 hours per day the whole week is terrible, but there will be always entitled people (who HATE game devs) thinking this kinda of shit is fine as long as they "deliver the product in time"

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom