Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Castle - inspired by Maniac Mansion

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer

The Castle
Evil has taken over a small town. But a group of courageous adventurers has decided to organize an expedition to end the feared vampire.

Features:
  • Make a team of 3 adventurers of 7 candidates.
  • Each character has its abilities and defects with which it is easier or harder to finish the adventure. Some can be very clumsy ...
  • Watch with the castle guards, do not let yourself get caught!
  • 5 different endings, some are easy and others are extremely difficult, find them all!
  • Point and click adventure
  • Originally written in Spanish and translated into English
  • Powerful last-generation graphics never seen.

Characters:

uc

Peter:
That's me, the one who discovered the castle and organized all the expedition. I'm a reporter and a writer for a mystery magazine, in addition to being an enthusiast of horror novels.

Sister Angela:
She left her convent to fight against dark and evil forces. Sister Angela is a senior demon and vampire hunter, since she was trained by the very same Vatican.

Roger:
The best student of his class, he's got two degrees, three master's degrees and speaks five languages. Now he aims to leave the classrooms and make use of his knowledge in an experience he wants to add to his curriculum.

Agent L:
Member of a highly secret organization who devoted his life to the search of paranormal activites. He's an expert and knows these cases better than anyone.

Gogo:
His father is the boss of a gang of yakuzas. She masters several martial arts and bladed weapons. She didn't think it twice when she was told about a castle inhabited by evil creatures.

Alice:
She spent all her life reading romantic novels and watching TV shows about vampires. Now it's her oportunity to be bitten on the neck by a vampire and live her own adventure. She got really dressed up for the occasion...

Bob:
This guy has nothing to do with all this, but he was passing by and decided to come and check what was going on.

This free game which just came out of nowhere is excellent and anybody who likes classic adventure games should be playing it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Binky

Cipher
Very nice find. English translation is a bit iffy, but nothing too serious. I've yet to find two of the hardest endings.

huckc

Novice
Wow this is extremely ambitious for a free project. I remember the original creators talking about what a nightmare it was to test all the combination of characters, hopefully with modern tech they can automate this.

Btw, if you're worried about dead ends here's their clarification:
aEaP6Ro.jpg

That should make things more obvious hopefully.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Hmm, the version on AGS site says it's a demo and the developer apparently changed links on the AGS thread and pages to Steam page.

Also the game does not flagged as free on Steam.

I wonder if the developer now wants to sell the game or Steam version is sort of an enhanced edition?

Modron

Arcane
This is out now and not free as you can see plainly in the embeds all over the page figured I would avoid adding one more of them :D.

Fatberg Slim

Educated
Patron
I remember playing this 3+ years ago when it was a free download outside of Steam. I hope it's been enhanced now that they've started charging for it.

Warning : the English translation is quite bad

Are you able to figure out what to do despite the language barrier? I liked the colorful setting and the varied (if derivative) main characters, but I had a really tough time making progress and I never could put my finger on what the problem was. Maybe the game could have used more or better descriptions of things or a clearer indication of whether your failed actions were because such an action was always impossible vs possible but not with the chosen character(s). It could also just be that I was out of practice - I think the last adventure game I had played at that point was Unavowed which may have softened me up too much :cry:.

Modron

Arcane
Posted this in the random adventure game news thread but figured it should go here as welll; they are currently translating the demo of their next game:

Maxie

Wholesome Chungus
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
My problems with games which emulate old artstyle in tedious detail is that they rarely compare favourably to the games they emulated - kinda in the vein of the Renaissance indeed, since they are perfectly disconnected from the old stuff and the techniques have to be rediscovered :|

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom