Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

The Codex’s Best Computer RPGs (pre-Diablo)

Discussion in 'General RPG Discussion' started by Deuce Traveler, Dec 12, 2021.

1. Karwelas Dwarf Taffer Patron

Karwelas
    Time to strike my fancy, dear Codextar- I mean, Codexlads.

Four Points:
    Ultima 7 - The Black Gate: legendary game with legendary consequences for it's genre and hobby as a whole. Shame about what became of the series and ol'Lord British. Ultima Online still may be one of the best MMOs released upon this land and I will love it forever, ever with the very little experience I had with it.

Three points:
    Star Control 2: The Ur-Quan Masters (Toys for Bob) - God, there are few words of magnitude that can rightfully explain how perfect this game meshes into the entirety of wonderfulness that it creates - a light, but wonderful lore (that Mass Effect shamelessly stole in bulk), nice and nimble combat gameplay, shitton of secrets to find out, atmosphere to read from the texts, the personality of aliens races you meet (along with their themes. God, fucking Yehat man, I still have their theme on my tabletop and writing playlists. Not to mention its title, Years Late, perfectly meshing with their story.

"THE REVOLUTION HAS BEGUN!"

Darklands: There is very little actual European fantasy in the whole big ol'pot of the RPG stew, but this one hits the onion and meat in perfect manner. Saints and devils, brave knights and dark mages, darkness of Dark Ages and light that only your heroes can carry into this night. But beware, for the night is dark and full of witches.

• Brofist Brofist x 6
    • Salute Salute x 2
    • Prestigious Prestigious x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. rusty_shackleford Arcane

rusty_shackleford
    Starflight was the influence for both.

• Yes Yes x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Nazrim Eldrak Scholar

Nazrim Eldrak
    Due to the fact that this is not the final result and also old collected data, I did it without much thought. Here you go, and the next time you want something from me, you'd better give me a game on GOG:
    Show Spoiler
    [​IMG]

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • gimme dem dolla bills gimme dem dolla bills x 2
    ^ Top  
  4. Catacombs Arcane Patron

Catacombs
    Got it. That's more scannable and easier on the eyes. :incline:

You misread my post. I didn't want anything. I asked why you went with the inferior dot plot when the superior bar chart works better for this kind of data.

• Merry Christmas! Merry Christmas! x 2
    ^ Top  
  5. negator2vc Educated

negator2vc
    Top 20 is full of awesome games!

• Agree Agree x 2
    • incline incline x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • Kitty Kitty x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Captain Rufus Augur

Captain Rufus
    At this point its clear my votes don't friggin matter anyhow so I'm just gonna pop 5 each into my 2 favorite computer RPGs period:

5 for Curse of the Azure Bonds

5 for Ultima 5: Warriors of Destiny

Honorables to Pool of Radiance, Star Control 2, and Ultima 1.

Console Honorables to Phantasy Stars and Dragon Quests and Kings Fields but this is computer rpgs so they don't count except DQ1 which was on the MSX IIRC but its like the worst of them anyhow. (And I guess Kings Field 1 got a Win 9x or XP era port as an example game in a construction set. Still doesn't count but I'm gonna mention it anyhow.)

I'm getting my Amiga running again so maybe its time to try some forgotten or barely touched with classics? I mean early last year I finally played through World of Xeen and got far as hell in Wizardry 7. What better thing to celebrate my 30th year of owning an Amiga in summer 22 than actually maybe playing more than a taste of Crystals of Trazere n only having finished EoB 2 in the few months between getting the thing and then going into the Navy? Like if playing on old hardware got me to play through Curse through Darkness to finally complete the first Gold Box series (albeit on a Mac iisi as opposed to the C64 I originally beat the first 3 on..) maybe it'll do the same here?

• Brofist Brofist x 6
    • Salute Salute x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Captain Rufus Augur

Captain Rufus
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

About time I do more than stare at the thing and then parts break before I get to my next upgrade or part.

• Prestigious Prestigious x 13
    • Brofist Brofist x 4
    • nice nice x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Rincewind Prophet

Rincewind
    Noice! I have the exact same A500 + GVP HD8+ setup (among a few other other A500s and C64s) but sadly on a different continent... Never really noticed that Sysinfo was developed by a guy around here in Toowoomba, that's a new discovery for me :)

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. 4too Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

4too
    My Wonder Years

Auto side mirror warning: "objects in (the) mirror are closer than they appear"...

5 Wasteland (Interplay)

1 Mines of Titan (Westwood) a.k.a. Mars Saga

2 Buck Rogers: Countdown to Doomsday (SSI)

1 Sword of Aragon (SSI)

1 Buck Rogers: Countdown to Doomsday (SSI)

Enjoying others’ variations on the theme.
    Stunned by my personal vehicular blind spots when driving by meme mirrors.
    For, your experience, most delightfully, will vary.

4too

• Brofist Brofist x 7
    • Salute Salute x 2
    • Merry Christmas! Merry Christmas! x 1
    • No No x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. himmy Arcane

himmy
    5P: Daggerfall
    3P: Al-Qadim: The Genie's Curse
    2P: Dark Sun: Shattered Lands

• Brofist Brofist x 6
    • Salute Salute x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. KeighnMcDeath RPG Codex Boomer

KeighnMcDeath
    Buck Rogers: Countdown twice?

Also
    Show Spoiler

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. Disciple Learned

Disciple
    214 votes so far :shittydog:.

• incline incline x 2
    • nice nice x 1
    • Nuke it from orbit Nuke it from orbit x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. Deuce Traveler Prestigious Gentleman 2012 Newfag Patron

Deuce Traveler
    Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Thanks for all of the votes, the participation, and your patience with the rules that were set. I especially really enjoyed reading some of the reasoning behind your votes. I know the manner this was done was not perfect, and I encourage someone to put together an online poll and post it in the thread if they want to allow people to rate all of these games instead of just assigning points to a few. As for me, I'll be working on tallying and verifying the results with the Ring of Prestigious Gentlemen.

Although I didn't expect the order they came in (I expected Pool of Radiance higher and Betrayal at Krondor lower), these are the top CRPGs so far according to the initial summation: Betrayal at Krondor, Daggerfall, Dark Sun: Shattered Lands, Darklands, Might and Magic: World of Xeen, Pool of Radiance, Ultima 7, Ultima Underworld, and Wizardry 7. There are some surprises in the results, too. Dark Heart of Uukrul got some love despite being an obscure title, but no one voted for the equally obscure Magic Candle series. Exile 3 ended up being more than twice as popular than Exile 1. There were no votes for Wizardry 2 or 3, nor Ultima 1 and 2; but each franchise easily leads the pack in votes, with the Might and Magic series trailing at a respectful third place. However, if we were to tally votes by company than SSI would smash the competition with the two Dark Sun games, Gold Box series, Eye of the Beholder games, Ravenloft games, and a number of others. Interplay's The Bard's Tale trilogy performed much weaker than I expected despite its name recognition, and was outgunned by the indie Exile trilogy. I doubt Exile would even be mentioned on a less prestigious site.

Albion, Princess Maker 2, Conan the Cimmerian, and Mordor: The Depths of Dejenol made a respectful showing, outperforming more well known titles as Realms of Arkania 1 and 3, Quest for Glory 2 and 3, Elder Scrolls: Arena, Battletech: The Crescent Hawk's Inception, and Bard's Tale 2 and 3. FRUA also got some love; more so than most of its felow Gold Box games. I was shocked that Disciples of Steel only got one vote.

We'll have the final numbers announced as an official post later this month.

:excellent:

• Brofist Brofist x 29
    • Cheers!! Cheers!! x 4
    • Goldfist Goldfist x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. Unorus Janco Lurker

Unorus Janco
    Wait a second...

That's it, we have to start all over again.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Despair Despair x 2
    • It's a matter of time It's a matter of time x 1
    • Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. Lord_Potato Arcane Glory to Ukraine

Lord_Potato
    Good luck with calculating the results! A very interesting poll it was.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Excited! Excited! x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. Lord_Potato Arcane Glory to Ukraine

Lord_Potato
    And now all the votes that went to Exile III should be declared null and void (according to Wikipedia II is still a 1996 release).

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spiderweb_Software

Last edited: Jan 2, 2022
    • How DARE you!?? How DARE you!?? x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. rusty_shackleford Arcane

rusty_shackleford
  18. Unorus Janco Lurker

Unorus Janco
    Happy 25th birthday, Exile 3!

Show Spoiler
    [​IMG]

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. Decado Prestigious Gentleman Old time handsome face wrecker Patron

Decado
    Codex 2014
    QFG3 sucks compared to 1,2, and 4 but this is a lovely post.

• Friendly Friendly x 3
    • Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  20. Morpheus Kitami Liturgist

Morpheus Kitami
    I was curious about this, so I decided to do some checking around. Mobygames lists the original Macintosh version as a 1996 release, but there's no month/day. Checking the Macintosh Garden, and they list it as a 1997 release, and what do you know, they have a citation for it? Check that lower right image, and we can see that the game could not have been released earlier than January 1997.
    This could be a problem.

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • Sweat gathers upon my brow, let me dab it Sweat gathers upon my brow, let me dab it x 1
    • Peaceful protest Peaceful protest x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. V_K Arcane

V_K
    Just assign all the E2 and E3 votes to E1, let's get it in the top.

• Funny x 3
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    • Fishy x 1
    • Agree x 1
    • incline x 1
    • No x 1
    • retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. OSK Arcane Patron

OSK
    Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    Shouldn't be too surprising. Betrayal at Krondor was ranked the highest of all these games in the 2019 RPG Codex's Top 101 PC RPGs. Though Pool of Radiance was just below it.

That said, the prestigious RPG Codex ranks all these games below Twitcher 3.

• Despair Despair x 2
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • WTF am I reading WTF am I reading x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. Jason Liang Arcane

Jason Liang
    Escape from Hell should have more votes. I mean, it's not a top 5 RPG but it's better than most of the RPGs on the poll. It's certainly a better game than say, Wasteland.

Hey, found a LP by our beloved @crookedbee

Let's not keep forgetting about this classic.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2022
    • No x 2
    • Funny x 1
    • not sure if serious x 1
    • Informative x 1
    • WTF am I reading x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. KeighnMcDeath RPG Codex Boomer

KeighnMcDeath
    Oh, I dunno if it is better than wasteland. It has a comedic tone and you do need certain npcs over others. I think a possible turn-off is not creating your own character. I found it pretty entertaining. It is way better than the movie.

• feels good man feels good man x 1
    • Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. Biggus Scholar

Biggus
    Dungeon Master (Psygnosis Limited)
    The Bard's Tale 3: Thief of Fate (Interplay)
    Might and Magic 2: Gates to Another World (New World Computing)
    Fate: Gates of Dawn (reLINE Software)
    Wizardry 7: Crusaders of the Dark Savant (Sir-Tech)

2 each

• Brofist x 6
    • Participation Award x 1
    • Cheers!! x 1
    • It's a matter of time x 1
    • retadred x 1
    ^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.