Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Codex are Terrorists

jiujitsu

Cipher
Project: Eternity
Alas, 'tis true. In ways. I've come across a striking similarity between us when someone said this on the ESF forums earlier tonight.

Judge Hades said:
They were nicknamed the Fallout Taliban for good reason.

This got me thinking that both of our situations are fairly alike at least for those of us who vehemently defend our gaming ideals.

The "terrorists" fight because they don't want some big dollar, money grubbing, religiously blasphemous group of countries coming to their world and "making it better." They think it's good the way it is and want to deal with their own crap.

The Codexers fight with devs because we don't want some big dollar, money grubbing, canon blaspheming developer coming into our world and "making it better." We like our games a certain way and feel much the same, I imagine, as they do in the Middle East.

While I understand that the scale and urgency of the situations are very far apart(murder as opposed to snippy commentary) I can make many comparisons between them. For instance we look at Bethesda's record and see how they do business just like the "terrorists" have watched and dealt with countries like the United States. We see what they value in the games they make and the "terrorists" have seen our way of life. We generally don't agree with some developer priorities due to this and the "terrorists" certainly don't want their homes to be remade into our shameless image. We fear they will turn our beloved games into something that resembles their other endeavours, twisting our memories and the "terrorists" fear the same for their homes.

Our tools of war are similar in some respects as well. While we certainly don't resort to violence and murder in defense of our games we do make little "terrorist attacks" of our own against the unsympathetic developing houses. All the news and forum posts that our reputation is built on are like terrorist attacks in that they both spread to the world our ill content with the situation at hand. We are both powerless to truly stand up to our adversaries and do the only thing we can think of to fight for what we believe in.

And though, we both know what we fight against will inevitably happen in the end we continue to fight out of principle even if we are misguided. I think we can agree that those extremists in the Middle East would have been much better off if they had been peaceful and gotten the world on their side. This would have been the best way to fight for what they wanted even if they wouldn't be completely satisfied. The same could be said for us. If we made civil appeals to have our way we may have at least swayed some decisions that have been made in contradiction to our ideals. Neither of us took this path and unfortunately the "terrorists" will be hunted to the last man for as long as it takes to get them all and we will be continually blown off by developers game after game.

This analogy has allowed me to empathize with those who fight us in the Middle East, but not to sympathize with them. It has also allowed me to empathize with those we fight here in the gaming world and to sympathize with them. Times have changed and what once worked for everyone doesn't any longer. My hope is that instead of fighting this transition we can convince them to at least remember and honor the past we cherish.

John Yossarian

Magister
A muslim friend of mine said that most of the western muslims that turn radical is because they want to be part of something bigger than themselves and bring back whatever Islamic empire existed centuries ago. Maybe we can convince them to be part of the struggle against bad "RPGs", a cause much greater than any religion IMO, and bring back the days of good RPGs. I can just see it
"What, no consequences?!!! Death to bad devs!!! Ashadu an La illaha illGOODRPGS!!! KABOOM. Then the codex gets invaded for having WMDs. Bad idea,bad idea.

Lurkar

Scholar
Knowing I'm a terrorist because I dislike Oblivion is one of the best feelings I've had in awhile.

psycojester

Arbiter
Oh the humanity the Codexers are suicide bombing our forums with snarky photoshopped posters!

voodoo1man

Liturgist
As I have stated previously, I am already in the process of recruiting the-soon-to-be shaheed volunteers for the Al-Falloutjah Martyr's Brigade to go destroy the evil doom base of RPG infidels Bethesda. Training will take place in official RPGCodex terrorist training camps. You can buy t-shirts and souveniers. Also, I have announced a fatwa on Pete Hines. In the words of the immortal prophets Trey Parker and Matt Stone, Tim Cain's blessings be upon them, "I put a jihad on you, Pete Hines!"

psycojester

Arbiter
I'd say we're closer to the Rebels from star-wars.

Using small 1 man forum accounts we shall penerate the ESF boards defenses. Fly into the super-structure and knock out their Todd with a swift kick to the crotch.

Also worth noting i posted a thread on the ESF boards about the "i love oblivion" and the the removal of our photoshop thread. I didn't swear and was respectful towards them.

Needless to say my thread was disappeared by the Bethestapo 20 seconds later

Ladonna

Arcane
Be careful there....I have seen wanks take this kind of thing seriously before. In my minds eye I can picture Pete Hines look at this thread and call the Police.

I don't want to give those gents the satisfaction.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"The "terrorists" fight because they don't want some big dollar, money grubbing, religiously blasphemous group of countries coming to their world and "making it better." They think it's good the way it is and want to deal with their own crap."

You apparantly know very little about what motivates the typical ME terrorist.

"The Codexers fight with devs because we don't want some big dollar, money grubbing, canon blaspheming developer coming into our world and "making it better." We like our games a certain way and feel much the same, I imagine, as they do in the Middle East."

The problem is it's not 'your world'. The Codex doesn't own role-playing games, nor does it own FO.

Idiot.

Goliath

Arcane
Zionist Agent
Admiral jimbob said:
We don't shout "ALLAH! ALLAH!" and attempt DoS attacks on ESF.

We don't?! Oops.. :oops:

But we do send anonymous death threats to Bethsoft employees, right? Right?!

Balor

Arcane
Why, I recall we sent them rather open death threats, like "May meteor hit Bethsda HQ!" or something?

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Admiral jimbob said:
"Arcanum Extremists"?

...no?

Arcanofascists sounds better.

That Fallout Taliban thing was funny. It was definitely one of those cases where you shot down someone's WULD'NT IT B KEWL IF idea for Fallout 3 with actual facts about what was in the first game, and the little knuckleheads just didn't like it.

Even Black Isle, whom we're supposed to love, pulled a few boners. J.E. Sawyer said things like, "It's impossible to beat either Fallout with a pistol." as part of his argument for dual wielding and changing the skills. In either one, it's entirely possible with the One Hander trait. In Fallout 2, the Gauss Pistol is actually better than the Gauss Rifle in terms of damage rate by close to a factor of two if you've got 8AP.

Gosh, actually having a reasonned argument with facts behind it.. That's just NUTS!

Ladonna

Arcane
How dare you argue with a professional developer.....Who do you think you are?!!?!?

A god??

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
copx said:
Admiral jimbob said:

You mean our death threats are supposed to be anonymous? Well, shucks.

Elwro said:
Saint_Proverbius said:
Arcanofascists sounds better.
Hm, how about Arcanazis?
How about the Arcanum Liberation Front or "ALF" for short? We could be like real terrorists with all sorts of different names for our various splinter groups.

Lurkar

Scholar
I'm partial to Arcanofascists myself. And personally, I'm just waiting for one of the mods to make a similer comment. That would be a beauty words cannot describe.

Lurkar

Scholar
I'm partial to Arcanofascists myself. And personally, I'm just waiting for one of the mods to make a similer comment. That would be a beauty words cannot describe.

copx said:
Admiral jimbob said:

Well, they banned me. I'm going to step it up a little now, if I have the support. Viva la Revolucion! Dunk Boobies Howard in a bath of choice and consequence! Time for THE INVASION!

We won't just bash the staff about the heads, no - that'd be foolish, there's no location-based damage, and there's nothing in there anyway. No, we storm Bethsoft HQ then split up into two teams.

Team one makes their way to Teh Dungeon. This team must, by necessity, contain either Twinfalls or Vault Dweller - the contents of the dungeon are level-scaled, and we need someone of a high enough level to find the Daggerfall source code. We rescue that and remove it from the premises, to use it later to create Teh Ubergaem.
Team two makes their way up the Citadel of Todd, scaling the hideous, warped sneer that adorns the huge stone caricature of "Boobies" Howard's face. They make their way into his Sanctum, where he lies surrounded by casual gamers and Xbox 360s, and they remove him from the room to toss him from the tower. Team one, who hopefully have escaped by then, will create a huge bath made up of ground-up CDs of Fallout, Planescape: Torment, Arcanum and Daggerfall. Todd will hopefully land in the bath... But we won't try too hard.

Spazmo

Erudite
Fallout Taliban was coined by Visceris, who has won the Official Internet Douchebag Award for Biggest Douche five years running. And I'm partial to organization names that are three letter acronyms, because TLAs are the bread and butter of real nerds. ALF works fine for me, because RPG fundamentalism and eating cats just go together.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom