Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
After much deliberation I've finally decided to go through with the inaugural announcement and implementation of something I've wanted to do since discovering this website...

Introducing (wait for applause)...

THE (RPG Codex Completionist Challenge!

An open forum for all users to partake in and discuss their progress. Progress in what you may be wondering? To complete every game in the RPG Codex's Top 70 (74 really) games list!

The rules are as follows!:

1. You must start from the bottom of the list and work your way up. This will begin with Wizards & Warriors and end with Planescape: Torment.

2. If playing through a series start from the beginning. So if you get to, say, Deus Ex: Human Revolution on the list you must first play the original Deus Ex. Unless...

3. Flexibility is key to the success of this forum. If you cannot acquire (or cannot run) a certain game or set of games on your system fear not! You are allowed to move to the next set of games in case of emergency. So for instance if your computer refuses to run the original System Shock for example or you absolutely cannot find a physical copy (or digital download) moving onto the next few games is completely permissible.

4. While this may sound sacrilegious this point must be made emphatically clear: consoles are Not off limits. If by some chance your PC is incapable of running specific games, or if the business practices of certain digital distribution platforms goes against your code of standards, you are more than welcome to play a copy of said game on your console of choice (for games like Dark Souls, Mass Effect, etc.). This challenge is about accomplishing and appreciating these games, regardless of platform or the issues said platforms may present.

5. While completing certain games be sure to update on the progress of the game you are playing. Upon completion of one or multiple games give a brief, or detailed depending on your preference, write-up of the game(s) you have beaten. This can be as simple as...

"The game was awful, the game was good, the game was great!, etc"

...to as complex as a detailed summary or write-up of elements of the game you enjoyed, such as the mechanics, C&C, level design, writing, ambiance, world setting and design, etc.

6. Don't stress, have fun! Despite what the title may imply there is no need to do a "completionist" playthrough to see every nook and cranny of the game. You can either rush through the primary scenario, or see most of but not all of the content of these games. Completionist runs are certainly okay to partake in if you want. Also re-plays, in which you can take different paths (if available) or different party compositions and take different routes in quests is optional and completely permitted.

Happy gaming Codexians! I look forward to seeing what (if any) experiences you have along the way!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It is also worth mentioning that I will also be partaking in the challenge.
My current game...

220px-Wizards_%26_Warriors_Cover.jpg

Current Location: The Serpent Cult Temple
My party is roughly around Level 7 and 8 members at the moment.
Objective: Trying to help this thief I helped release in the dungeon prison who is stubborn and refuses to leave!
Current Playthrough Time: About 26 1/2 hours.

Last edited:

Joking aside there is no real reward set at the moment. Although perhaps a custom image for profiles for those who have completed the challenge. Something like this...

th

As mentioned in the post this is for the fun of it all, since the objective is to enjoy what this website and forum is all about: RPGs

And speaking of RPGs, out of curiosity are you playing (or played) any on your 3DS? I'm currently going through Dragon Quest VII: Fragments of the Forgotten Past, at least when I'm not playing games with friends or Wizards & Warriors.

Deuce Traveler

2012 Newfag
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
I'm not participating, since I already have beaten many of the games on the list except the following:

http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/rpg-codexs-top-50-crpgs-results-and-reviews.89680/

#12 Mask of the Betrayer: I just couldn't deal with that game engine anymore and quit 1/3 of the way through.
#14 Dark Souls: I beat Demon Souls, but only started this before moving on. I'll get back to it sometime.
#15 Wizardry VII: Just imported my Wizardry VI characters and looking forward to this one.
# 30 Realms of Arkania II: Star Trail: I'm still debating whether to play the first RoA before this.
# 31 Dark Sun: Shattered Lands: I fought the first battles in the arena and liked what I saw. Looking forward to getting back to this.
# 33 Dragon Age: Origins: My god, I hate this game. Rage quit.
# 51: Albion: Interested in playing it. Liked the intro. Furries weird me out though.
# 52: Drakensang: River of Time: Got turned off from another Drakensang game and not sure if I want to reattack the series.
# 52: Risen: Maybe... Gothics were good.
# 54: King of Dragon Pass: Got my ass handed to me. Can't wait to play again!
# 56: Mount and Blade Warband: Own, haven't played. Damn my queue is too long.
# 59: Dungeon Master: Not into action blobbers, but I did like Legend of Grimrock and I heard this is even better. Maybe when I play some others on this list.
# 64: Wizardry IV: The game's difficulty scares me. Hats off to those who have beaten this.
# 66: Lands of Lore: Playing now. :)
# 71: Wizards and Warriors: Maybe after Wiz 7.

Eventually it comes to my taste in games, and some of these being loved by folks who like action RPGs versus those of us who really don't.

So out of 72 games, I've beaten 57 of them and plan on getting through about 9 more of them for 66 total. Good luck to those of you that decide to do this challenge all the way through, and I'll be curious on how many of you actually get through Wizardry IV. That's a big speed bump... :salute:

octavius

Arcane
Patron
I'm sorry to say I've only completeted 29 of the games on the list, but since I have my own chronological play list I'll get around to most of them eventually. But there are a few I really don't want to play.

Deuce Traveler

2012 Newfag
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
octavius , man I'm surprised by that until I realize how many old RPGs you've played that I haven't. One day we are going to have to do a top RPG list for everything made before 1994. Then games like Magic Candle and Phantasie might get some more love around here.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Yes, a Top list is naturally going to favour newer games to some extent, since more people have played them.
It would have been interesting to see a list of pre Fallout games.

And you really should give Dungeon Master and Wizardry IV a try.

draug

Novice
I've actually been doing this, but in the opposite order. Been making quite good progress so far and have worked through most of the top 20. Gonna be starting Wiz7 too now that I have some time off for the year. Some thoughts on my progress so far....

#1 - PS:T: Haven't played this until a couple months ago. I have to agree that it deserves this spot. Played through the whole thing in the span of a week or so.
#2/#3 - FO1/2: Also played through these for the first time this year (its been a good year). I'd say I probably preferred the first as it just felt like a more focused game.
#4 - BG2: I tried to play this game so many times over the years, but it just never made any sense to me. About two years ago I played AD&D for the first time and suddenly everything sort of clicked and made sense. This became my gateway game for cRPGs.
#6 - Vampire: TMB: Played through most of it, but dropped it towards the end. Janky game, but was refreshingly unique.
#7 - Morrowind: Played it plenty when I was younger...
#8 - FO:NV: I think FO1 surpassed this for me but for different reasons. As far as the Bethesda RPG genre goes this one is my favorite.
#9 - Gothic 2: See #6
#11 - Deus Ex: Played it recently. Very good.
#12 - Mask of the Betrayer: Beat this a few weeks ago actually. Pretty fun starting a campaign at level 15...
#14 - Dark Souls: My favorite on this list.
#15 - Wiz7: Going to start this soon I hope. Kind of daunting to be honest.
#17 - BG1: The open ended nature of campaign/world was interesting, but got bored halfway through.
#19 - KotOR2: Favorite Obsidian game.

That's it for the top 20 so far... Still a few gaps to fill out, but Ill tackle those next year. I haven't played really any of the early 90's DOS games (mostly because Im just intimidated by them), but It will be nice to try them out over the course of the next year.

Also does anyone know if there are plans on updating this list? I'd be curious to see how some newer titles would fair.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
1. You must start from the bottom of the list and work your way up. This will begin with Wizards & Warriors and end with Planescape: Torment.
You'd be better off playing Grimoire: Heralds of the Winged Exemplar than any of the Bioware games on (or off) the Codex's list. As you should already be aware, given your choice of user name. :M

tumblr_ou5qzjwG3C1rxmn3vo1_400.png

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
# 30 Realms of Arkania II: Star Trail: I'm still debating whether to play the first RoA before this.
I know it's not the hive mind's opinion but I think it's a shame to skip Blade of Destiny.
# 59: Dungeon Master: Not into action blobbers, but I did like Legend of Grimrock and I heard this is even better. Maybe when I play some others on this list.
Yes, if only one action RPG you must play this one. Even if it's not the hardest nor the most complex one, its level design and interactions with environnement and for example how you can take advantage of it to fight monsters put most games out there to shame, including Legend of grimrock.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom