Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline The Codex is going down the toilet

Cassidy

Arcane
This site needs more moderating not less. I don't care who feels entitled, this shit is just disgusting and vile.

Maybe we should do away with anonymous pseudonyms for usernames and see who keeps this behavior up.

Give us your full name, address, phone and social security number first.

And don't be upset if a pizza delivery suddenly arrives at your door.

Or if you lose your job.

tiagocc0

Arcane
This site needs more moderating not less. I don't care who feels entitled, this shit is just disgusting and vile.

Maybe we should do away with anonymous pseudonyms for usernames and see who keeps this behavior up.

Give us your full name, address, phone and social security number first.

And don't be upset if a pizza delivery suddenly arrives at your door.

Or if you lose your job.

uuuuh, free pizza!

Zetor

Arcane
So the Codex is 'in decline', because you can't freely verbally abuse people? My heart bleeds for you. Also,
GD has always been shit, and the Codex always had shitposters. If you want to talk about decline, ask yourself where all the prolific posters of 2002/2003 have gone, and why.

This is a place where you are supposed to discuss cRPGs, not be an edgy crpg version of 4chan. Or maybe my standards are set too high, idk.

Self-Ejected

Brayko

Self-Ejected
I appreciate what the Codex does in an attempt to burn down "The man" but some of you fuckers take your shit a little too piously, like the above poster. I'm willing to bend to the decline (or "incline") for amusement purposes but saying that PE will suck because J.E. Sawyer said a thing or 2 that didn't sniff as good as your farts is amusing, albeit quickly tedious.

RRRrrr

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
As I see it, our biggest problem in need of moderation is that GD has two big camps that, while not at all formed by stupid people, took on the most stupid aspects of politics. "Leftards", "librulz" or whatever you call them on one side and the WCDS, or the nazis, or whatever you call them on the other. Instead of ever arguing, these two groups seem intent on repeating slogans and ideas to each other, never really forming a conversation or even going anywhere.
I am yet to see a good political discussion on the Codex. I always thought the whole "damn librulz" thing was trolling. Well, there are retards like nomask7 or HHR who really believe in what they are saying, but it is so delusional that it can't be taken seriously. On the other hand, I can't take racists and nazi apologists seriously anywhere, so I might be wrong.

Nevertheless, GD is too hard to be taken seriously. I don't know why people are acting like there is free thought in it (I mean the thought part, since few people there seem to be actually thinking).

General Discussion is basically:
General Discussion-talk about womenz and post stupid links to sensationalist sites.
Politics, God & The Wealth of Nations- talk about (no one is discussion anything there) about important contemporary events or politics as a whole without saying anything of value.
Codex Public Library-pretend you have elitist tastes and liking :obviously:films, all if which (by coincidence, of course) you watched and liked when you were 12.
SCIENCE!!- ask about the newest e-reader! Or applied psychology!

GD is hardly what makes the Codex good. I liked how critical people were of modern games, unlike the other gaming forums where you get called a retard if you say Mass Effect 2 is clearly not an RPG.

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
When You will start doing ding dong banu on posters whose worldview you don't like and end or the rhine/retardo threads which hurt your fragile (librul) sensibilities you will end up among sycophants fapping to kickstarters, indie games and Biowgame which is kinda shit but it ''empowers'' Fags and Wymynz. Those who fight monsters and all that... :avatard:

Codex is thorny rose with roots in feces... try to make it ''accessible'' and tame and it will turn into another RPS/BSN/Watchwitz.

Lockkaliber

Magister
Patron
Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
It's incredibly retarded to believe that the "all goes" mentality of GD has anything to do with why the rest of the Codex may be good. That's just something the people who like the atmosphere of GD (ie the people who feel oppressed in other parts of soceity/the internet because of percieved PC hegemony) repeats to attribute the quality analysis of crpgs on the rest of the Codex with their own shitposting/mental malfunctions.

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
Meanwhile in the future:

Current codex forum member 10 years from now said:
ask yourself where all the prolific posters of 2012/2013 have gone, and why.

That's just how forums work. People get older, their lives change, their priorities change, they move on. It happens on every single forum out there.

Monty

Arcane
There was a similar thread that reemerged a while back and looking at some of the older posts (from 2008) they were mostly complaining about how the Codex had declined.

I guess the Codex has just kept declining since its peak in 2002. Or Codexians tend to see decline everywhere.

Lockkaliber

Magister
Patron
Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Yup. When I started posting, I mostly posted in GD. After a while I realized that it's a waste of my time, and now I rarely post on the Codex at all, and pretty much just browse the other boards. I didn't mean to say that the quality stuff on the Codex had much to do with me at all since i'm not really an active poster anymore. When i started diverting attention more to the other boards it was pretty noticeable that the posters in GD, myself included, had pretty much nothing to do with what makes the Codex a place for quality crpg discussion.

Edit: also, if you check my post history, you'll notice that I've mostly posted on the other boards over the last year or so.

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
There was a similar thread that reemerged a while back and looking at some of the older posts (from 2008) they were mostly complaining about how the Codex had declined.

I guess the Codex has just kept declining since its peak in 2002. Or Codexians tend to see decline everywhere.
IIRC the decline meme itself is from one such thread.

Zetor

Arcane
Meanwhile in the future:

Current codex forum member 10 years from now said:
ask yourself where all the prolific posters of 2012/2013 have gone, and why.

That's just how forums work. People get older, their lives change, their priorities change, they move on. It happens on every single forum out there.
Doesn't match my experience at all (talking about other gaming forums that I've frequented over the last 10+ or even 15+ years). Of course people move on (and new people join), duh, it's the intarweb. But communities tend to have an identity, and actually a lot of the old guard / founders stick around more often than not.

Both of those sentences are true. :smug:

Seriously though, I still read the dex from time to time, especially when I want some info on indie cRPG stuff. It's just that the signal/noise ratio isn't anywhere near where it used to be, even if you tune out the jewniggertrannyfag idiocy. For an XXXtreem example, compare a political GD debate from 2002/2003 with any of the GD/politics threads... eh. You can take this as the typical "old man shaking his cane at the darn kids" sentiment if you want!

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
Doesn't match my experience at all (talking about other gaming forums that I've frequented over the last 10+ or even 15+ years). Of course people move on (and new people join), duh, it's the intarweb. But communities tend to have an identity, and actually a lot of the old guard / founders stick around more often than not.

And that didn't happen here? Looking at this one page alone, I count 4 people from 2003/2004.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Zetor Personally, when I look at old threads on the Dex, from around 2006-2007, I see a lot MORE shitty one liner posts than we have today. I'm talking about RPG threads, not GD.

It seems to me that a lot of the Codex's "community chat room" functionality has been offloaded to other, more appropriate venues over the years - Facebook, Steam chat, etc. Leaving the forum itself for longer, more in-depth discussions. I bet similar things have happened on other Internet forums.

Zetor

Arcane
And that didn't happen here? Looking at this one page alone, I count 4 people from 2003/2004.
I fail at counting, but one of them is me. That's just semantics, though.

And no, it's nothing like, say, the Freedom Force community (10+ years) or the Lum the Mad - slownewsday - waterthread - f13 diaspora community (15+ years, over several sites) or the westeros.org community (15+? years). Or comp.sys.ibm-pc.rpg usenet - qt3 - brokenforum.

e: Infinitron -- I don't disagree... in fact I didn't even visit the dex much between 2003 and 2012, so I don't know what the 2006/7 stuff looked like (that was about the time of the Oblivion invasion, right? That'd be pretty bad, yeah). I wouldn't even say it's a decline, per se... it's just adapting to the different needs of a new community blah blah whatever.

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
And no, it's nothing like, say, the Freedom Force community (10+ years) or the Lum the Mad - slownewsday - waterthread - f13 diaspora community (15+ years, over several sites) or the westeros.org community (15+? years). Or comp.sys.ibm-pc.rpg usenet - qt3 - brokenforum.

Hey, maybe some forums retain their identity over the years. Most don't, though. I've sat through a lot of forum evolutions where old people leave and are replaced with newer 'generations' of posters. Then you get forums where the community stagnates because older posters take up a hostile attitude towards newer members and essentially chase them away as they join, and not necessarily because the newer members are all shit-posters/ More often than not, because the older members have formed cliques.

I'll say one thing, though; I've never been to a forum where things were presently better than they were in the past. Someone is always going on about how things were better in the old days. I'm guilty of it myself. In 5 years I'm probably going to look back and remember 'how much better' things were in 2012/2013.

Monty

Arcane
I'm guilty of it myself. In 5 years I'm probably going to look back and remember 'how much better' things were in 2012/2013.
You mean in 2018 when the Codex is an Android app?
:declining:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom