Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Codex of Roguelikes

Matador

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Blazing through Shiren lately. A shame the game doesn't seem to have much mileage outside of Japan, $60 price tag definitely not helping. Game has a ton of content, though, happy with it so far.

8ilb2q.gif

If you've played 5, how do you think it compares? If I only played one which one should I go with?

I played Dice & the DS entry, whichever those are. They're all fairly the same, though 6 is very, very good. If you've played none of them, just spend $5 on Dice and give it a whirl to see if you like the gameplay loop and item-focused style.
I've got 5 (Dice) and 6 both, put some hours into 5 but dropped it because the story dungeons kind of drug on (though from what I've read there is are a ton of side-dungeons that are more traditional roguelike style rather than having to babysit a companion through the Towers
I have only left to beat Fey´s Final Puzzle dungeon in 5 DS version, what a nasty dungeon.
Great game.

6 is good, and looks great, but I think story dungeon was too much meta progression focused. I wish I had a save file with access to the Final Puzzle equivalent, which is pure roguelike.

How is the new one? 3D graphics seem downgrade.

Last edited:

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Finally managed to beat Rift Wizard 2 yesterday. Game is much harder than the original, though it currently lacks the challenge modes the original had. I was forced to use some game breakingly good synergies that let me cast my whole spellbook in a single turn to pull off the win. Game has much cooler bosses in the later levels now, and just enemies in general end up with really crazy power sets. Apparently it also skews level generation towards enemies that will resist the damage types you've been using so far.

All in all, I really like it. Early game is a lot more difficult and interesting, and the game overall forces you to think and improvise a lot more instead of coming up with a broken wombo combo and using it to solve everything.

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
Nice to hear, I really enjoyed the first one so this means I'll play this one one day or another.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom