Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Codex of Roguelikes

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
If you were going that route, I'd opt for Rogue Legacy. At least that one has stats ;)

But honestly, I do not consider those roguelikes. While the possibility to die at every step, permadeath and the procedurally generated world are a must-have for any roguelike, there is more.
Another must-have to identify as a roguelike is being an RPG. Meaning based on character skill instead of player skill, and a meaningful character system. Which is why games like Spelunky are not roguelikes, though certainly inspired by those.

AMG

Arbiter
By that logic the original Rogue isn't a roguelike since it doesn't have any character system to speak of :M.

murloc_gypsy

Cipher
I played tons of Nethack on my android tablet. Tons. Was really digging the variety of items and monsters. And the crazy, random effects of scrolls, fountains and other shit you'd find. Then I tried Angband (some variant of it anyway) which wasn't as good. I also tried ADOM but I just couldn't get myself into it for some reason. Nethack is thus far my favourite.

Deuce Traveler

2012 Newfag
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
I am trying ADOM right now. First, I tried the DOSBox version, but then I gave the most recent freeware release a go, which is compatible for current operating systems. I have to grudgingly admit that I am glad I did so, because the game seems more complete and the interface handles better. I do recommend giving ADOM another try because of this as it is quite a bit more fun and addictive in the newer incarnation.

As for TOME, I like the DOS version, but the newer T-Engine version seems a lot different to me, to the point where I am unsure they are the same game. If I meet my goal of beating ADOM by the end of the year, I may come back to both versions of TOME and try to give a better judgement. So far I still prefer the older version of TOME than this newer one.

I do agree that NetHack is awesome. I liked Angband, too, but found Zangband to be more enjoyable, though maybe because I just liked Zelazny's Amber series.

getter77

Augur
ToME's DOS version IS a wholly different game with a Tolkien theme and expanded Angband variant sensibilities. It is ToME 2 versus the current incarnation which is ToME 4.

If ToME 2 ultimately especially gives you a good feel, you will also probably quite likely find some entertainment within the old contemporary of it, Furyband:

http://www.furytech.net/furyband/furyband.php

Kuhrazy

Educated
I still haven't played a lot of ToME, but the low to non-existent threat from unnamed monsters is a big turnoff after playing Crawl... makes me feel like I'm back in WoW, pointlessly grinding through trash mobs.
Hell, that's what I hate about *Crawl*, although ToME seems even worse about it.

Kuhrazy

Educated
I played tons of Nethack on my android tablet. Tons. Was really digging the variety of items and monsters. And the crazy, random effects of scrolls, fountains and other shit you'd find. Then I tried Angband (some variant of it anyway) which wasn't as good. I also tried ADOM but I just couldn't get myself into it for some reason. Nethack is thus far my favourite.
Nethack was the first roguelike I got into, but I would recommend a variant like Dynahack over vanilla without hesitation.

desocupado

Magister
I still haven't played a lot of ToME, but the low to non-existent threat from unnamed monsters is a big turnoff after playing Crawl... makes me feel like I'm back in WoW, pointlessly grinding through trash mobs.
Hell, that's what I hate about *Crawl*, although ToME seems even worse about it.

Well, they really seem bent on turning regular mobs into dangerous stuff on the latest releases. The vaults are a lot more dangerous now, due to the vault guards that close dorways and the dividing of the dungeon into the dungeon and the depths. The midgame is more dangerous now.

Early game is pretty much unchanged tho.

granit

Scholar
Tome4 has very deadly rare monsters now. If you disregard them because the trash mobs are so easy, you will die

stony3k

Augur
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Tome4 has very deadly rare monsters now. If you disregard them because the trash mobs are so easy, you will die
This actually makes it harder because if you don't pay attention for a couple of turns, you can end up dead

Nicolai

DUMBFUCK
These recent versions of ADOM are pretty chill. Solid tiles, buncha new dungeons and plenty of bug fixes. I won for the first time in a good while with a human barbarian yesterday, feels good.

Kuhrazy

Educated
This actually makes it harder because if you don't pay attention for a couple of turns, you can end up dead
In general it seems like the more hack-and-slash a roguelike is, the more "death by boredom" factors into the difficulty.

TripJack

Hedonist
New Crawl update

Some changes:
* New god: Qazlal Stormbringer.
* Nemelex Xobeh and decks in general have had many changes.
* Ranged combat has been rewritten from the ground up.
* Inventory weight limits have been removed.
* Item destruction is no more, and corrosion has a more severe but temporary effect.

* The Hall of Blades has been cut.

* Monsters will no longer pick up items that the player has seen.

desocupado

Magister
New Crawl update

Some changes:
* New god: Qazlal Stormbringer.
* Nemelex Xobeh and decks in general have had many changes.
* Ranged combat has been rewritten from the ground up.
* Inventory weight limits have been removed.
* Item destruction is no more, and corrosion has a more severe but temporary effect.

* The Hall of Blades has been cut.

* Monsters will no longer pick up items that the player has seen.

Wow, some radical changes there, with the corrosion and inventory weight. Wonder what did they do with the ranged combat.

EDIT: * Spider Form now moves at normal speed, and no longer gives clinging.
Fuck, this is going to fuck up draconian transmuters badly.

EDIT2: Reading more of it, sounds like some popamolization. Might end up being good in the end of things, have to give it a try. The changes aren't all THAT drastic, to be honest.

Last edited:

stony3k

Augur
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Tons of changes, will have to see how it plays out. I'm not ready to call "popamolization" yet, at least until I've played around a bit, but it does look like they're making the game less random, or the effects of randomness less extreme.

Essegi

Cipher
Frozen Depths after a lot of time finally has a new and nearly final version (maybe there'll be a bugfix update but not a major one):
http://frozendepths.net/
It's a nice simple roguelke with a nice "frozen" theme.
Worth a check.

dnf

Pedophile
Dumbfuck Shitposter
What u guys think of Sword of the stars: the pitt? I think it's fun, but i rarely play roguelikes. Any more roguelikes for graphicwhores. I already played TOME and Doom. I want to try mistery castle but for some reason their site doesn't let me download the windows version...

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
I thought it was awful. Incredibly repetitive and dumbed down, and the animations made everything super tedious.

IVAN has a tileset, and is generally fun to fool around in for a while, if not to seriously try to win. ADOM recently added a fairly hi res tileset too, though imo it's got one of the most inane bullshit learning curves of any roguelike out there.

Doctor Sbaitso

SO, TELL ME ABOUT YOUR PROBLEMS.
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands
I am trying ADOM right now. First, I tried the DOSBox version, but then I gave the most recent freeware release a go, which is compatible for current operating systems. I have to grudgingly admit that I am glad I did so, because the game seems more complete and the interface handles better. I do recommend giving ADOM another try because of this as it is quite a bit more fun and addictive in the newer incarnation.

As for TOME, I like the DOS version, but the newer T-Engine version seems a lot different to me, to the point where I am unsure they are the same game. If I meet my goal of beating ADOM by the end of the year, I may come back to both versions of TOME and try to give a better judgement. So far I still prefer the older version of TOME than this newer one.

I do agree that NetHack is awesome. I liked Angband, too, but found Zangband to be more enjoyable, though maybe because I just liked Zelazny's Amber series.

Big fan of Zangband. I have tried maybe 5 variants and this is the most well rounded IMO.

http://www.nethack.org/

September 21, 2014 Announcement

The NetHack Development Team feels it is necessary to publicly address an issue that has surfaced in the last week.
Recently a NetHack source distribution has appeared, claiming to be NetHack 3.5 or 3.5.0 or 3.4.4.

This claim is partially correct. This is our code. However it was not released by us or with our authorization. This code is not ready for release: it is unfinished, unpolished, and almost certainly very buggy. It has not been play-tested for balance or functionality. It is best considered a partial and unfinished rough draft. We will not be supporting this code, nor will we be releasing binaries or bugfixes for it. It will not be available through our website.

Due to this incident and to prevent confusion, we will not now nor in the future release anything with a version number of 3.4.4, 3.5, or 3.5.0.

We thank those of you who play and develop both NetHack and its many variants for your support and encouragement at this time and over the many years NetHack and its progeny have and continue to evolve.

Monstrous Bat

Cipher
http://www.nethack.org/

September 21, 2014 Announcement

The NetHack Development Team feels it is necessary to publicly address an issue that has surfaced in the last week.
Recently a NetHack source distribution has appeared, claiming to be NetHack 3.5 or 3.5.0 or 3.4.4.

This claim is partially correct. This is our code. However it was not released by us or with our authorization. This code is not ready for release: it is unfinished, unpolished, and almost certainly very buggy. It has not been play-tested for balance or functionality. It is best considered a partial and unfinished rough draft. We will not be supporting this code, nor will we be releasing binaries or bugfixes for it. It will not be available through our website.

Due to this incident and to prevent confusion, we will not now nor in the future release anything with a version number of 3.4.4, 3.5, or 3.5.0.

We thank those of you who play and develop both NetHack and its many variants for your support and encouragement at this time and over the many years NetHack and its progeny have and continue to evolve.
The NetHack devteam is still around? :what:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom