Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Codex of Roguelikes

Epyon

ChaosForge
Developer
For those who missed it or want to try the updates - Jupiter Hell has another (updated!) pre-Early Access Free Demo weekend!

Kabas

Arcane
Patron
Tree-man, lizardman and a lot of classes were temporarily removed in the recent update for Caverns of Xaskazien 2. Perks were added as a trade off.
AVjAGRK.png

BlackGoat

Arbiter
Red Prison update.

pat, was it you who was looking to continue Incursion dev at one point, or was that someone else?

New version - druids, dynamic quests and a heap more
JUL 18 @ 2:23AM - PAT
After a few weeks delay, a new version is finally up for download. The delay was because I embarked on a bit of a complicated arc of development and the build was too unstable in various ways to release because of these big additions to the codebase.

I've been spending the last couple of weeks playtesting and ironing out bugs and hopefully (!!!) the version that I've released is as bug-free as I can hope for an playable!

Here is a rundown of the big changes:

* Druids - new character class has been added. The big feature of this class is the level 2 ability to use wildshape! There is also a powerful selection of spells available from both the cleric and wizard lists and there'll be more custom spells coming over the next few months.

* Dynamic quests - I've begun the work on making dynamic quests which appear randomly in the dungeon and assign you different and often competing goals. The first step of this rollout is on some dungeon levels, there is a chance that two rival NPC groups will spawn. They are often very, very tough although their makeup is random. Both will task you with killing the other. It is planned that you'll get a big reward for doing so, but that hasn't been implemented yet. It's a bit experimental still although it seems to be working well apart from a hard-to-reproduce weird behaviour where the quest dialogue doesn't work randomly. I'm looking into it though.

* Map generation - with the addition of quests came the need to rework the map generator to set out special areas where these quests would spawn. I also took the opportunity to add special entry and exit vaults for levels so that stairs would spawn in more logical places rather than just randomly in some narrow corridor. So the dungeon generation should seem a fair bit different and more complex with a lot more variety hopefully.

Full change list:
* Fixed bug where casting bless caused a crash due to an error in the stats display code.

* Changed the way that druids get spells so they are now like clerics and instantly know all spells at a level they can cast.

* Updated stats display to properly display the damage type being used when in wild shape.

* Started work on dynamic quest system. Implemented quest object and start of work on generating quest givers and target throughout maps.

* Changed AI to not attack neutrals automatically.

* Made it so that neutrals don't provoke opportunity attacks.

* Built upon dynamic quest system. Added new long message function so that there are popup dialogue boxes to convey the quest instructions. Added quests object into saving and loading games. Ensured that quest objects are removed from general pool of actors when loading and saving and tracked through the quest system instead. Ironed out bugs with finishing kill quests.

* Made it so that quests and their goals spawn on the same floor to prevent what would be an excessive amount of backtracking. Dummy quest currently has two NPCs asking for the death of the other.

* Enlarged map size to accomodate quests on the same map but with targets at opposite ends.

* Added proper_noun flag to deal with oddities arising from wild shape and the name display.

* Added check for player to have blindsight to deal with scenario where player wild shapes into a bat.

* Added checks to make sure that wild shaped creatures can't pick up or drop items as well as not being able to cast, fire or open and close doors.

* Changed autoexplore algorithm to deal with wild shapes being unable to open doors.

* Fixed bug where followers weren't switching loyalty to new wild shape object (and back again) after transformation.

* Implemented preserving intelligence, wisdom and charisma and XP gains across form changes.

* Fixed display issues with wild shape, now it hides the player's true name, race and role and just displays the monster shape with no gaps in spacing.

* Changed map generation to make the complete map 4x3 vaults which is probably a better size and helps with generating times.

* Added new UI option to confirm whether player is sure they want to do an action. Linked this to attacking neutrals.

* Added make_hostile function which recursively works through monster list to check to see what other allied monsters need to be made hostile when player attacks.

* Created basic MagicMonster and RangedMonster AI's to use for non-companion creatures because that hadn't been implemented yet.

* Created new vault type for quests designed so that a tough NPC and followers can spawn there.

* Tidied up quests by removing references to different levels so that all quests occur within a single level.

* Changed sidebar display colours so that allies are green, quests are purple, neutrals are white and hostile are red.

* Added mobs of allies for quest NPC's. Made it so that allies of NPC's can't be convinced to follow player.

* Reworked dungeon generation algorithm so the game distinguishes between normal, stair and quest vaults and implemented all three with basic options.

* Reduced number of quest NPC allies to 1-3 rather than 2-5. It was too cluttered.

* Added a bunch of new stair and quest vaults.

* Added two new dialogue options for each stage of each quest.

* Added more complexity to the way in which names are printed to take into account whether there are proper nouns as names or not and whether a 'the' should be used or not.

* Reworked all messages to take advantage of new naming system.

* Reworked spell messages so that they aren't shown when a caster is out of sight of the player.

* Simplified AI when it comes to healing and reviving because it seems a bit buggy.

* Reduced ally chat by about half because it was happening too much.

* Hopefully fixed a bug causing hangs to do with quest NPC's AI.

* Fixed bug where crash would occur when more than 26 items picked up.

* Hopefully fixed bug where sometimes quest NPC's wouldn't talk.

* Made sure that arrow keys worked as input across the board rather than just some of the time.

* Updated display to show max HP for enemies and neutrals but not current HP.

Last edited:

pat

Arcane
Developer
I dabbled with Incursion modding for a bit maybe 10 - 12 months ago, but I don't know if I posted about it here. You might perhaps have read me saying something about it on reddit and to be honest, I don't think I've read about anyone but me taking a serious look at the Incursion codebase (apart from the guy who did all the bug fixes). It was definitely that experience with trying to work with Incursion which motivated me to start The Red Prison and working in a language and environment that I know well meant that it was faster to produce an entire game than it was to get my head completely around how Incursion works.

Having said that, someone that knows c++ would find Incursion pretty approachable. My experience with the language was teaching myself the basics over a decade ago and I wasn't prepared to put in the hard work to learn it just to play around with Incursion. The scripting which defines most of the game's content is actually really easy to read and work with and someone could easily create an interesting mod with a bit of dedication. You would need to go beyond the scripting and work with the engine itself to make major changes and that was the bit that I wasn't prepared to do.

So until we find that mystery modder who has the patience to take on Incursion, everyone should play The Red Prison.

Epyon

ChaosForge
Developer
I'll allow myself for one last plug of the final FREE DEMO weekend before our August 1st Early Access release - as among other upgrades, ULTRAVIOLENCE difficulty is in, and the JupiterGuy has now a voice, by none other than Mark Meer (yes, Commander Shepard!) - be warned though, he has a foul mouth (which you can tone down in the options ;) ).

NOTE : the discord is set to open, so you can just open that link in a browser tab, click on the bot and get the key - no e-mail, no registration, no data need to be given except a throwaway nick.

Last edited:

getter77

Augur
Demon with another nice update as per usual: https://ferretdev.itch.io/demon

Over 6 months in the making, the first release build featuring the new Soul Brand mechanic is out the door!

Soul Brands are a new type of item you can find in the Tower and connected dimensions, functioning similarly to equipment in other roguelikes. Once you find a Soul Brand, you may spend a small Credits to apply it to yourself or an ally. One Brand may be applied any number of times, provided you're willing to spend the Credits.

Brands always have at least a positive effect, but may also have negative effects, or conditions that restrict their usage. Even these penalties and conditions have an upside though: each one increases the power of the Brand's positive effects considerably!

You can refine your use of this new power with new Relic Upgrades that interact with Brands: Refine Brand can increase a Brand's level (and thus its power), Scan Brand will let you swipe a copy of a Brand an enemy is using, and Create Brand will let you sacrifice demons to create new, somewhat customized Brands.

But beware: your enemies have also received this new power. Even stray demons may have a Brand, and demons wielded by enemy summoners are certain to utilize them, to say nothing of the summoners themselves.

The Tower beckons once more, brimming with new power. Good luck to you all... you will need it more than ever, now.

( Thank you to Zyalin for providing the awesome fan art used in this post! )

Echo Mirage

Arcane
Does anyone know how to submit a request for a change to CDDA?

I want to request a change to the Razor Girl's starting CBM's to give her the Protective lenses. Since It's strange to me that the Molly Millions class doesn't start with the CBM that directly references her. I tried the Discord but I don't have the skills to create or submit the request.

eXalted

Arcane
I want to request a change to the Razor Girl's starting CBM's to give her the Protective lenses. Since It's strange to me that the Molly Millions class doesn't start with the CBM that directly references her. I tried the Discord but I don't have the skills to create or submit the request.
You can edit the Cataclysm DDA\data\json\professions.json yourself or add your custom profession as a mod.

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
A guy on reddit posted the german Guidebook for NETHACK from 1989!

BBdUyp1.jpg

NETHACK - das Amulett von Yendor

Although not everyone speaks german, this is a nice contemporary document and it gives a glance of how gaming was, before the internet.

Big thanks to Thege0815 for uploading!

That's awesome. I'd love an English version.

I know the man who probably would be interest init, as he plays old games - like these proto-roguelikes as Moria etc and write an article on them after that.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom