Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Codex of Roguelikes

PapaPetro

I just beat Zangband a little while ago.
lol @ "you may retire (commit suicide) when you're ready."
7ltQbML.jpg

index.php

Arcane
IVAN 0.59

--> Windows: Download IVAN-v059-win.zip <--
--> Mac: Download IVAN-v059-osx.dmg <--

Changes:

• Crafting Skill
  • Item light emitation based on volume
  • Custom key bindings
  • String question history
  • Sumo house fix when player gets stuck
  • Optional whizz-bang changing menu background
  • Various bugs fixed
  • New, unknown bugs
  • Something about a new world map generator
  • Built on Azure (lol in your face m$!!!1!)
  • And much more. Visit the forum! https://attnam.com
Fixes:

See v058...v059 for a list of changes since 0.58

buffalo bill

Arcane
Got two new angelic badges in doomrl in a single run!!!

This puts me up to six total—these were veteran and elite angelic badges. The requirements are to fully beat nightmare (including the secret boss) with 100% kills, and fully complete every special level. I played as a melee with a shotgun backup. A sniper pack let me make a plasmatic combat shotgun, which made clearing corpses much easier (can't believe I never made one before!). The run was pretty straightforward actually, never really felt like I was about to lose at any point. Have been sort of thinking that this game needs an additional difficulty setting beyond nightmare
doomrlveteran0.png

doomrlveteran1.png
doomrlveteran2.png
doomrlveteran3.png

Metronome

Learned
I guess you question things differently when you can "crush stars".

I had another encounter with the strangeness of the Angband alignment system to follow this but was being lazy about cropping the screenshots. It also reminded me of that dragon trick Fenix mentioned earlier. I got a enormous pile of loot out of it. Here's how it went:

So I was casually clearing out a pit of angels in some dungeon. I was fighting them in a summoning corridor to speed up the process, and making good progress, but at some point a quylthulg creeped in among them and started summoning demons at me. In Zangband evil and good monsters fight each other. So the angels started summoning more angels and the demons started summoning more demons and it was getting out of hand. I eventually gave up, annoyed by the text spam, and decided to leave and explore the rest of the level. The angels were ultimately defeated by the demons, but when I returned to the pit to finish off the survivors my message box continued being spammed.

8QFYVVD.png
Apparently someone had summoned Farmer Maggot. Farmer Maggot isn't good or evil but he is friendly to me, so he is also hostile to everything in the dungeon like I am. In Angband variants there also is this rule that no matter how much damage monsters do to a unique, they can never kill it. No matter how hard they fight or how many demons they summon they can never land the finishing blow on him. Only I could actually kill him. So here he is fighting Khorne bloodletters and Balrogs, slowly plinking away at their health as they torment him. If I didn't have to worry about food I could have probably just waited and he would eventually destroy them all, allowing me access to the loot. Though I couldn't spend all year so I decided to give him a hand. I somehow caught the attention of a few Balrogs through a wall and they dug their way over to meet me. I killed them and a bunch of lesser demons poured in after. I took care of them no problem. Eventually I thinned up their numbers and made it over.

JCBXq4j.png
We finished up what was left of the pit and stood there among the remains. As you can see Farmer Maggot is recovering nicely from his ordeal and the loot is all mine. I scrounged around some more and found 14 artifacts and some upgrades to armor my character was already wearing. Most of the Artifacts were crap once I got them identified but a few were useful. I almost died after ditching my scrolls of teleport and teleport level to carry more loot, which was incredibly stupid of me. Astronomically retarded greed in fact, but I made it, and damn what a haul. In the top right corner of the first picture is a pile of dragon armors and very expensive spellbooks I didn't have room to bring back up with me, so I had to leave them behind. I didn't need money at this point, but if I did, I wouldn't need it again.

eRiVbYs.png

bMraCLM.png

lol @ "you may retire (commit suicide) when you're ready."
It goes back to Moria. If you die in the game after you win, it actually takes away your win on the highscore list. The death just counts as an ordinary one. It's something I noticed after diving in the source code when I was playing it. So the way to seal the deal is to close the game file by committing suicide. A pretty lame thing in my opinion since it discourages you from playing after the final boss, and your character dies of old age anyway, but it is in line with the cruel intentions of the developer. Not sure how Angband and it's variants handle it. I guess my guy gets to live for now since I can't figure out where it puts your character dumps on Linux.

Doctor Sbaitso

SO, TELL ME ABOUT YOUR PROBLEMS.
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands
It goes back to Moria. If you die in the game after you win, it actually takes away your win on the highscore list. The death just counts as an ordinary one. It's something I noticed after diving in the source code when I was playing it. So the way to seal the deal is to close the game file by committing suicide. A pretty lame thing in my opinion since it discourages you from playing after the final boss, and your character dies of old age anyway, but it is in line with the cruel intentions of the developer. Not sure how Angband and it's variants handle it. I guess my guy gets to live for now since I can't figure out where it puts your character dumps on Linux.

:hmmm:

Serus

Arcane
Patron
I finally beat Jupiter Hell on hard difficulty. Not a big deal but it took me many tries. I suck (a little).
I found a flaw in JH that wasn't as pronounced with DoomRL iirc. Namely the second half of the game becomes much easier once you get a sensible build running. My win was a scout with gunrunner using shotgun/pistol and then 2xshotgun once i got to Io and got a plasma shotgun. The thing is, most of the game i wasn't even using many exotics and no uniques. The best drop was a level 3 shotgun amp. I did Io and Dante with regular plasma shotgun, not even fully modded (ended with 3 of 4 mods: 2xA+). And yet i just massacred everything. Most enemies died in one shot, the biggest ones in two at maximum range. This imo one of the game's problem with shotguns but also in general. Ranges are very small in the game. You can basically "max" the range of shotguns or pistols - weapons that are supposed to be short, maybe medium range. However they become 100% effective at ranges from 1 to maximum, accurate as sniper rifles at high range but without a drawback at short ranges. I think it is even easier with pistols than shotguns due to "Son of a gun" being available to everyone from the start.
On the other hand the first half of the game often ends for me with a group of exalteds waiting behind the first door I open on the level. Without much place to run and reposition and without any grenades it all comes to firepower, which you not always have early. As i said before, i don't remember doomrl being as bad in that regard. But maybe i remember wrong.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
I need to dance over to the JH thread and look at others reaction. I nearly snagged this but didn't for some reason. I loved DoomRL and MtDrashDL... hell and CastlevaniaDL so this should have been a no brainer. I guess that video of endless tree level for Ultimate ADOM gog me instead. I still haven't found those trees. My axe aches to log off a random level full of woody trees.

Gostak

Educated
All the cool, classic ones seem to be listed already, good.
Incursion being my absolute favorite of them, IVAN and ADOM also were good timewasters besides Nethack.

Roguelites then?

WazHack
  • X/Y Axis side-view Graphics time allegedly only progresses when you move/act
  • Discussion thread(s)?
Cannot tell you much about this one because I do not own it.

Barony
  • 3D Graphics realtime, many of the basic classic features are in this one and it has multiplayer. difficult as one would hope in this genre
I only played 10 hours of this one so far. It has achievements (216 of which I got 12 in that time so far).
Where is a codex thread for this one, or more to the point where is the search function hiding here anyway? I guess there is none because this would strain servers more? Also, what do search engines crawl all the webpages all day long for after all and have nifty restrict to domain searches, indeed!
Gotta maintain our own "Codex" here, to find stuff quickly, eh? ^^

Last edited:

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
This is interesting in a way. I recently got a notification on itchio that slashie released Mount Drash RL there. Odd as it was created around 2007. I follow slashie on itchio. https://itch.io/profile/slash

He has a few others there and I hoped this was getting an update but nope. So why the alert?

Last edited:

Irata

Scholar

Irata

Scholar
Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup v28 released
https://github.com/crawl/crawl/releases/tag/0.28.0

Highlights
  • New Cinder Acolyte background, followers of the dying god Ignis.
  • The Hells burn with new fury, filled with new monsters and effects.
  • Yredelemnul completely redesigned; Okawaru and Jiyva significantly changed.
  • The Spider's Nest respun - many new monsters and maps lurk within.
  • Magical orbs added as a new category of off-hand equipment.

List of all changes at link. Downloads at the bottom.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Oh shit!

The Rise and Fall of Ignis Zotdust and
the Spiders from Hell
372uoy2.jpg

He needs to be unbanned before its too late.

Arbaces

Novice
What keys would you use for movement in a roguelike on a hex grid? I was thinking jio;., because I like keeping my fingers on the homerows, but it would fuck with muscle memory of everyone used to vi style and . to rest. I'd just use the numpad 147963, but I play on my laptop tenkeyless a lot. Is there a good way to support the Euros with their strange inbred backwater key layouts? I'm too lazy for full key rebinding.

EvilWolf

Learned
All the cool, classic ones seem to be listed already, good.
Incursion being my absolute favorite of them, IVAN and ADOM also were good timewasters besides Nethack.

Roguelites then?

WazHack
  • X/Y Axis side-view Graphics time allegedly only progresses when you move/act
  • Discussion thread(s)?
Cannot tell you much about this one because I do not own it.

Barony
  • 3D Graphics realtime, many of the basic classic features are in this one and it has multiplayer. difficult as one would hope in this genre
I only played 10 hours of this one so far. It has achievements (216 of which I got 12 in that time so far).
Where is a codex thread for this one, or more to the point where is the search function hiding here anyway? I guess there is none because this would strain servers more? Also, what do search engines crawl all the webpages all day long for after all and have nifty restrict to domain searches, indeed!
Gotta maintain our own "Codex" here, to find stuff quickly, eh? ^^
Same place it is on every website, the upper right corner of the page. It's below the alert link as a magnifying glass icon.

Covenant

Savant
I'd enjoy IVAN a lot more if it made some cursory attempts at balance, rather than ascribing to the 'LOL SO RANDOM' mode of difficulty. You don't lose in IVAN because you've misspent your precious resources, developed your character poorly, or made suboptimal strategic or tactical choices. You generally die because you've stepped on a landmine, or the game decided to spawn an undetectable murder machine on your floor.

The material system is pretty great though.

Theodora

Arcane
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Angband 4.2.4 released today, seemingly with lots of bugfixes.

If you've ever been interested in Cogmind (you should be!), someone wrote a fantastic, illustrated, ('major') spoiler-free beginners' guide.

Soulash set to finally hit 1.0 and launch on Steam in little over a week.

Developers getting pre-release units of Valve's SteamDeck, including -- perhaps surprisingly -- Caves of Qud's developer. They've already started tweaking it to make it run better on the platform,

• We added a brand new Control Mapping screen with new functionality.
    • It's enabled when modern UI elements or the prerelease input manager is enabled.
    • Added support for multiple input devices.
    • You can now choose the control mapping scheme if you have multiple input devices connected.
    • Removed the Key Mappings option from the Esc menu. You can still access the Control Mapping screen via Options > Controls > Control Mapping.
    • Fixed several bugs with default prerelease control bindings.

• When the prerelease input manager is used with a gamepad, gamepad buttons are now shown in hotkey prompts.
  • Added better keyboard button icons in the Control Mapping screen and character creation sequence.
  • We added full Steam Deck support.
    • Launching on Steam Deck defaults to 1.25x.
    • Launching on Steam Deck defaults to gamepad input.
    • Launching on Steam defaults to the prerelease input manager.
    • Updated Steamworks SDK to 1.53a.

• Text input fields now display an overlay keyboard if one is available on the device.
  • Added a brand new UI for the Continue screen and removed the stand-in overlay one.
  • Mouse input is now enabled by default.

and it'll be interesting to see who else from the roguelike dev community ends up taking the time to support it 'out of the box'.

Last edited:

Morblot

Aberrant Member | Star Trek V Apologist
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
I couldn't bear to watch the video but it did remind me: I've been reading the CRPG Adventures blog and today read the post on Beneath Apple Manor, released in 1978 for the Apple ][. It seems very roguelikeish but predates Rogue by two years. The game's creator also popped up to write a comment about it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom