Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Codex of Roguelikes

Silentstorm

Learned
Has anyone tried Rift Wizard?

Decided to search roguelikes on Steam and this one seems oddly appealing to me, just wondering if anyone here has any opinions about it.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
I saw a rouge-uh... wannabe?
77e12716b8e6e78b27688bfe37628020a553066b4a04117ac92625195dd6eddb_product_card_v2_mobile_slider_450.jpg

Zombie Rollerz

dacencora

Has anyone tried Rift Wizard?

Decided to search roguelikes on Steam and this one seems oddly appealing to me, just wondering if anyone here has any opinions about it.

Theodora has talked about it in shoutbox. There may be comments about it in this thread as well.

Theodora

Arcane
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Silentstorm It's a lot of fun. Very much a coffeebreak roguelike, if you're familiar with the term, but it has an excellent spell system and is generally a lot of fun and visually gorgeous.

Given how little it costs even at full price, I would 100% say go for it, especially if you don't need your roguelikes to have a lot of extraneous bells and whistles outside its (exceptionally well developed) core.

Kabas

Arcane
Patron
Alchemist looks fun. Has anyone here tried it? I've been following the dev on twitter and the alchemy system looks really interesting.

https://spellsweaver.itch.io/alchemist
I am not really a roguelike person so take my opinion with the grain of salt. I like the presentation but i feel like this game shouldn't be a roguelike or at least not the type of roguelike where you need to start all over again after dying.

The alchemy system is indeed interesting. Most of the game is spent gathering materials which you need to sort, grind or distill into ingredients for your potions and tools. As an alchemist you don't have anything like spells or combat skills to rely on, your potions are your only means of offense and affecting the enviroment. So, it's all about managing your limited amount of potions while avoiding snakes and trying to grab all the ingredients and knowledge tomes you can find.
The thing is, after getting an abandoned farmland mission again and dying to the second black goat(bastard managed to get too close before i started throwing my potions of embers and i was too stingy with using my stun potion which i needed for a quest) i realised i don't want to waste my time gathering all those ingredients again.

Silentstorm

Learned
Silentstorm It's a lot of fun. Very much a coffeebreak roguelike, if you're familiar with the term, but it has an excellent spell system and is generally a lot of fun and visually gorgeous.

Given how little it costs even at full price, I would 100% say go for it, especially if you don't need your roguelikes to have a lot of extraneous bells and whistles outside its (exceptionally well developed) core.
Bought the game and it's indeed great, thanks for the info.

Also, tried the Soulash demo, not exactly what i was expecting with the premise, just feels like a...roguelike and you being an evil God is just there, i also hate the initial control scheme, i prefer a standard WASD control, like W just being UP rather than RIGHT, but that's just me.

Maybe the full version is better, but this just feels shallow

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Wouldn't random map makers in say Heroes of MM, and other games be considered Rogue-like tactical? I mean every map is randomly generated a cording to what toggles and switches you want.

Silentstorm

Learned
Just wondering, is there some Roguelike Codex place out there?

Some blog like CRPG Addict but focused on Roguelikes, it would be nice to see a place dedicated just to the genre.

Silentstorm

Learned
Anything good from there?

Only tried Spelunky Roguelike and...regular Spelunky 1 and 2 are much better, DoomRL it is not.

Also, noticed that Adom's sequel is on sale on Steam, Adom is great but the sequel seems to be pretty terrible, is the sequel really that bad?

Irata

Scholar
Shadow of the Wyrm v1.4.3 is now available!
The first release of 2022, this release improves NPC AI, adds additional ways to gain followers, and lets you build structures out of sod and stone. Crowbars let you pry apart wooden features for boards. You can build piers over water. And unassuming-looking NPCs might give you quests, everything from helping out with ingredients for a fish-boil to taking them to a distant village or dungeon.
https://jcd748.itch.io/shadow-of-the-wyrm/devlog/362453/sotw-v143-now-available

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom