Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Codex of Roguelikes

getter77

Augur
https://ulfsire.itch.io/path-of-achra Early WIP Demo state, but well in hand given how long the dev has spent on it up to now and positioned to be quite possibly the greatest spiritual successor to the core aspects of DCSS and/or TOME alongside attributes unto itself.

f2a

Novice
Which roguelikes are available for Linux/Ubuntu?
If you are comfortable with compiling, there are countless from roguebasin.

One roguelike that is present in Ubuntu repos and I fancy a lot is Allure of the Stars. Gearhead is good too, as is Omega.

Üstad

Arcane
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1315610/Source_of_Madness/?curator_clanid=31294838

Source of Madness

The artwork of itemlist is pure incline

ss_5ac234e70af51492b8b6a28cfcb7a30a6d81194a.1920x1080.jpg

Last edited:

Matador

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Upcoming changes in DCSS v0.29

There are more, but these caught my eye while I was quickly scanning them. Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be a comprehensive list of them.

Ammo for bows, slings, etc. is being removed.
Armor impacts ranged attack delay.
Bows, crossbows, and slings skills are combined into a single Ranged Combat skill.

Monsters adjacent to the player gain a 1/3 chance to gain a free attack if the player moves away from them. Wu Jian martial attacks & rampaging give immunity.
Oh good, it's important that the wildly OP armor/ranged attack combination is being addressed. LOL at least they're finally, finally after all these years, getting rid of the pointless ammo that just stopped you from using your low level hunter's primary weapon early on. After a couple of floors you never ran out of ammo anyway, the ammo stuff was really just pointless after they removed the different ammo types. Sure, why not lump all the skills together I guess? Don't really get it, but don't hate it...

The monsters getting a free attack when players move away is just a difficulty increase for most characters, especially weaker ones. It just means more free attacks on you while you run to the stairs/a narrow hallway.

Wu Jian was interesting before they neutered it because they were mad at the guy who came up with the idea (no really). Spite is a big part of DCSS development. Back in the day, a dude named "Berder" on the forums put up a guide on winning with an octopode fighter of dithmenos, a big part of the strategy was using shadow step on plants to escape sometimes. Devs didn't like Berder, or someone going against the prevailing wisdom of the crowd, so they made shadow step not work on plants.
I have a win with Wu Jian. Most fun run I have ever made. Before they nerfed it because it is slightly OP if you moved perfectly in all occasions, they prefer people mindlessly spamming TAB and Okawaru's buffs and rewards for optimal anti-human runs. I think the patch notes mentioned that melee damage it was better than TAB or standard movement. For a melee God that requires skillful movement! No kidding.

Compare that with all the fun, tense, creative and tight maneuvering to squeeze the win. I didn´t like a bit when they nerfed it. Also almost no one played Wu Jian anyway. It´s not ´optimal´ for streaks, speedruns and all that bullshit.

They are removing the fun from the game alongside everything is not convenient, efficient or strictly necessary.

Last edited:

Irata

Scholar
0.29 DCSS "Shooting Stars" has been released.

Highlights

- New Meteoran species - powerful, but with heavy time pressure.
- Ranged weapons have been extensively redesigned and streamlined.
- Necromancy and Kikubaaqudgha have been overhauled and powered up.
- Many backgrounds have extra consumables to handle early tricky situations.
- The Abyss is deeper and more rewarding.

Longer list of changes and downloads at the link:
https://github.com/crawl/crawl/releases/

Dwarf Fortress
DF has and adventure mode
The problem with DF adventure mode is that it's not really a game. But then, DF is barely a game...

I say that lovingly, I have spent way too much time 'playing' dwarf fortress. It's fun to figure out the systems and how to automate things in a fortress. Too bad Toady is a huge SJW now, autistic people are just too suggestible I guess...

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
It seems like in the Experimental of CDDA you can't make hand drills because there's no tools with "fine hammering" available? Anyone else got a workaround? I can't craft stuff because I need a drill, which I can't make because of fine hammering. E: A, apparently normal hammers have the quality.

Last edited:

oscar

Arcane
Haven't played it in a while but it's cool and quite different. Combat is very lethal (crits can easily one-hit you) and requires a lot of thought. Environment is a lot more than window dressing (the sun has been blocked out or whatever so lighting sources are very important to factor in, especially when dealing with ranged characters). Some regions are swelteringly hot, others freezing cold, powerful winds fuck with you etc

Atmosphere is awesome. Historical conquistador bosses, Jesuit priests casting Catholic rites against you and a shitload of weird creatures from Mesoamerican mythology.

Tolias

Educated
https://ulfsire.itch.io/path-of-achra Early WIP Demo state, but well in hand given how long the dev has spent on it up to now and positioned to be quite possibly the greatest spiritual successor to the core aspects of DCSS and/or TOME alongside attributes unto itself.
That was really fun actually! I got through 75% of the void on my third run (fuck yeah, pugilist + heal on hit). It seems that some demons do absurd damage though. Had about 500 hp and a green demon two-shot me easily... resists seem extremely rare on gear, only found one robe with two resists and a couple of plates.

Anyway I can imagine I can imagine hours in the double digits spent on messing around with various builds.

Thanks for recommending.

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In

It may have been posted before, but it's received a number of updates.

Currently, it's possible to integrate text generation with either NovelAI or the dev's own $2 a month cloud-based text generation.

Stable Diffusion is also integrated as an option, but you will ideally need at least 8gb of VRAM (shared or dedicated) available on your graphics card (Nvidia). You may be able to get away with less though.

20220910005515_1.jpg

20220910011320_1.jpg

mPIgm0i.png

Y0Jd6Om.jpg

It takes a bit of work to get the images looking decent, but you can go for whatever look you want if you put enough effort into it. This one is using a custom model called waifu diffusion to make things look more cartoon-like. But the default model is more varied, so you should be able to get more styles to work, depending on the prompt.

1662790845822.jpeg

Last edited:

Bigg Boss

Arcane
My friend keeps saying "play Cataclysm" so I might pretty soon. Any tips from people that have played the game a lot? I think I mainly played roguelite's which makes me feel like my penis is inverted atm.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom