Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Codexian Saga LP

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
sUch SPiRit.

wE arE pLeaSEd.

The Barbarian

Liturgist
The Renaissance of Pain

The Codexian Civil War was fated to last seven long years. The death toll could never be conclusively ascertained with any degree of accuracy, but most reliable sources estimated that there had been roughly one hundred and forty-four million victims (military and civilian). By the end of that dreadful conflict, very few crimes that man could perpetrate against man remained 'unthinkable'. Bio-weapons, nano-weapons and, naturally, nuclear weapons became par for the course - a horrifying reality belying description. The Neo-Liberals and the Conservatives had fought tooth and nail to establish the supremacy of their respective ideologies. They sacrificed just about everything to realize their visions for the future. Codexia Prime was in ruins. As was just about every major core world and colony. The fact that the factions involved matched up so evenly doomed more people than perhaps any other. Codexia's Civil War escalated beyond all reason because it had to; there was no choice.

A battle gone awry, here, a strategic misfortune, there - and soon the phrase 'We had no choice' came to explain untold atrocities. From the strategic nuclear exchange on Codexia itself, to the political death camps on Gennaro, to the 'Purification' projects on core worlds, these were all measures taken to 'restore the balance' between the warring factions. Fear of humanity's extinction at the hands of irresponsible generals and their armory of massively destructive weapons had evaporated, long ago. After all, had not man spread his seed to the stars? Were there not almost a hundred worlds with some sort of human population, or presence? 'Extinction' was no longer a likelihood, nor was it an 'in vogue' threat. And, so, man finally gained the ability to justify and rationalize death on a vast and terrifying scale. Many worlds burned because of our smug rejection of the long-held 'Mutually Assured Destruction' doctrine. Our overweening hubris once again proved just how costly it could be. That said, it did not take too long for these weapons to wear out the respective combatants' taste for annihilation. Twelve months of unrestricted warfare was more than enough to bring both sides to their knees.

Sporadic fighting would continue for years thereafter (generally, this was the third period of the conflict, between 275 and 277AU), but the end was finally in sight when the Neo-Liberal stronghold on Haven was destroyed by a directed Massive Kinetic Penetrator (MKP). This slab of ultra-dense material launched from orbit was enough to wipe out a city of more than a million people - and to bring the Neo-Liberals to the negotiating table. Soon, the Civil War would be ended. It had claimed almost a hundred and fifty million lives. The material damage to human worlds was simply beyond quantification. Insane acts of ethnic cleansing and genocide had seen the 'liquidation' of many 'undesirables', particularly in the core worlds. There, aliens, bio/gen-mods and political dissidents had become fair game. The Phyr, unwilling to take part in this human lunacy, began buying up private licenses to explore and re-settle the Phyr Dead Zone, in effect escaping the worst of the conflict. Their gradual flight from the refugee towns would come to form a part of the legend of the conflict.

The Commonwealth, meanwhile, has spent seven years growing stronger. They have created a small, but capable fleet. Their army is now over a hundred thousand strong and expanding. It has become a state with rapidly strengthening bonds of mutual protection, trade and a budding, shared identity. Though involved to some extent in the Civil War, the Commos have admirably withstood being dragged into the worst of it, and have avoided the excesses and extraordinary slaughter that characterized the conflict in its later stages. Whatever happens with Codexia, the Commonwealth is an issue that must be dealt with, at some point. From a weak, separatist, rogue state... they have achieved something much greater. Lastly, the Raumen and the Hin'in have kept an eye on the human tragedy, but have also avoided direct involvement, preferring instead to sell arms and supplies to all sides. These aliens have concerns of their own to deal with, and have been locked in a renewed, bitter struggle for the past three years - ever since the Raumen called another Clan Muster against the 'Hin'in occupier' in 274AU.

Codexia is at an undeniable cross-roads. The Civil War is ending. But what has this awful period resulted in? Did the Neo-Liberals attain favorable terms? Or was the Conservative victory total? The following choices will allow you to decide the very nature of the new government.

Government Type

Choose a government type:

A. Autocracy (ruled by an individual with unlimited power)
B. Oligarchy (ruled by a number of individuals, a small group or an organization)
C. Representative Democracy (ruled by elected representatives)

Choose a government style:

A. Militaristic (the government is centred on a military institution, such as the army)
B. Theocratic (the government is centred on a religious institution, such as the church)
C. Mercantile (the government is centred on one or more mercantile institutions, such as corporations)
D. Populist (the government is centred on public institutions and popular support, such as political parties)

praetor

Arcane
type:

autocracy is way too risky and centralised, and democracy is waaaaay too retarded. so Oligarchy! B

style:

flipped to C!

herostratus said:
Therefore, even if you lean back and just watch (e. g. voting for C) the conservatives will likely win anyhow. The only difference is that they win less overwhelming, and there is a larger amount of bloodshed and instability in the process.
^^ this guy was onto something

Anyways. Autocracies are too unstable, since they are so dependent upon the ruler in question. Representative democracy will be too hard to swallow now seeing as the government that led us into this mess in the first place was a representative demcoracy. That leaves only oligarchy.

For the government style, I don't think a theocracy would be too successful - there has been no recorded instances so far where religion has played a significant role in this story, so I doubt the average codexer is ready for a theocracy. My guess is they will just not understand the concept submission to religion.

Populism should be discarded as well, since so many of the codexers just hates each other guts, meaning that the different factions would use every opportunity to use the government as a tool for hurting it's opponents. I could hardly imagine the party of the neoliberal capital approving of increased education funding in the conservative capital, for example, no matter how prudent it would be as a policy. Therefore a populist government at this stage would tear our nation apart.

That leaves either mercantile or militaristic. Since we have just come out of a from a huge civil war I think it is safe to say that both the space bugs and the commonwealth have an advantage when it comes to mercantile stuff. Not to mention the fact that trade requires a good deal of trust, cooperation and freedom of movement and interaction, something our fractured society isn't very good at to say the least. In other words, basing our state on finance will be creating our state on what we atm do worst.

That leaves only militaristic. This is the only good choice IMO. Not only does the strict military hierarchy leave less chance for splinter groups and factions, but it also ensures that military power is aligned with political power.

Also we need to consider that our territories are ripe for the taking by any interested party, which is obviously an unacceptable situation.

So, in conclusion:

B. Oligarchy
and
A. Militaristic

Edit: I don't know if this is legal, but if the supporters of Militarism aren't anywhere close to winning by the time voting is almost over, I change the vote to C, mercantilism, which is the second best alternative.
Edit 2: Militarism has no chance of winning, so the second vote is flopped to C. Mercantile

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Option A. Autocracy
Option B. Theocracy

"Brothers, sisters, heed my call! Gather around and listen. Listen and I will tell you about the Way, the only WAY you may save yourself from this 'Civil War' raging about you.

How did this all start? I'll tell you how it all started.

Jezebels! The great whores of Babylon! Our decadence knew no bounds! We consorted with tainted, foul alien species! We turned our face away from the Light of our Lord and Master, and embraced darkness. We deserved what we got, and what we got was purification with the fires of the atom. These are the wages of sin and iniquity! This was what we deserved! For is it not said, those who lay down with the lamb shall become as meek as the lamb itself, submitting willingly to the slaughter! Yes!

But all is not lost. There is good news! Good News, my brethren, that I have been tasked to bring you!

Brothers, sisters, this was what I was told by one far more enlightened than I, in a far off world. He spoke of a time when the fiery atomic purification would near its end. The time he spoke of was now. And he said, when the fires settled, divine Light would return to our once great nation, and make it whole once more. It would be great, again, not through decadent godlessness, but through holy Worship and Submission to His Will. That Man is still waiting for us to gather, and once we do, He shall Lead us to Paradise and the Ascension of Codexianity. I know where He is, brothers and sisters, for He has told me where to find Him. So come.

A new era is dawning, my brethren. Come, walk with me. Walk with me and you shall see the Way. It is the Way to the Truth and the Light. It is the Way to Salvation."

~remnant of a sermon by an itinerant preacher, stardate 277 A.U.

wjw

Augur
Logic has failed us. The army has brought us disaster. We weren't able to buy or negotiate peace. The people have turned upon eachother. There is but one solution... Brothers and sisters, witness the coming of a New Messiah. Witness the coming of our Ascension. May i present you... KANE, the one true GOD.

Option A: Autocracy
Option B: Theocratic

Excellent. This civil war has gone exactly as planned :cool:

Codexia has broken the bonds that has held it down for millenia. It is finally ready to ascend and take its rightful place amongst the stars. One Codexian, their very name inspiring devotion in each and every follower, shall lead them towards their destiny:

A. Autocracy
B. Theocracy

Angthoron

Arcane
Fair Codexians.

For centuries, since the first of us reached out for the stars, we've watched. Countless wars, countless lives, countless tragedies have passed - and we watched. We watched as our power grew, and we watched as our power waned. We watched as our fleets fought our foes; we watched as our men died by our own hand.

We watched the Phyr worlds burn. We watched the Raumen devastation. We watched the greed and the inactivity of our comrades. The treachery of our allies. The betrayal of entire worlds. We've always let it be.

Fair Codexians.

Let not our ascension be that of a voyeur, looking on by as the Universe flows by. Let us not be a weak, scared flock guided by circumstance. We must forge our own destiny and the destiny of others, we must reach for the stars that shine in the distance and forge them to our desire, we must become the force that creates and destroys, we must become the force to be reckoned with, to be respected, to be followed.

The xenoes may laugh at us now - stupid humans, meddling in their affairs, sacrificing their lives to prevent their slavery, weak humans thinking they can dictate their will to others as their own subjects break away from them, weak fools with illusion of grandeur. Let them, for we have deserved it. We've traded the dreams of Ascension to those of fattened prosperity. We have traded true glory for false security. We forgot that the path to power is that of dirt and blood. We have fallen.

But fear not, Fair Codexians! The darkness of space may have crept into our hearts, but look to the stars - let them fill you with their divine Light, let them give you a purpose, a future, a hidden strength that none can ever rob you of! Can you not feel their touch? Can you not feel the pride of the lives before your own, the pride of Codexia, the pride of Phyr, the honour of our fallen empires? Look to your ancestors, Codexians, and think of what was always with them, of what is always with you, and what will always be with Codexians as long as we draw breath.

Look to the stars, Codexia.

Look to Ascension.

Follow your dreams.

A. Autocracy
B. Theocracy

It seems fairly possible that from these years of war, that war would not be high on the agenda now. So military build up would probably make things worse. A religious figure offering peace could offer some people hope. But I think that:

B. Oligarchy
C. Mercantile

Is the decision. The economy is shattered and needs to be rebuilt first. Military build up will continue to ignore economic issues. This isn't the Great Depression and WWII, military won't solve the economic crisis. Corporations and enterprise need to expand trade and other ways to save the economy.

wjw

Augur
To defuse any confusion, my fellow Undead Phoenix and honorable Angthoron. Your vote is in fact an AB and not a BB.

May the force of the one true God be with you all. Know his path and follow it to ascension.

Angthoron

Arcane
wjw said:
To defuse any confusion, my fellow Undead Phoenix and honorable Angthoron. Your vote is in fact an AB and not a BB.

May the force of the one true God be with you all. Know his path and follow it to ascension.

Thank you, honorable wjw. Truly, the Darkness attempts to intervene in even the fairest of goals.

Orgasm

Barely Literate
C. Representative Democracy
D. Populist (the government is centred on public institutions and popular support, such as political parties)

Technically, true dictatorship never exists.
B. Oligarchy, A.Militaristic, worked in England with Cromwell and in Turkey with Atatürk but those are exceptions. A nation/race over a longer period of time will truly prosper only under a dynamic system.

Flip your votes. Let the human race stand up from its knees because you dont want to end up like Phyr. Sucking alien dick for pennies.

Radech

Augur
time to go dutch, not the liberal sodomites of today, but the nation that pwns everyone in colonization

B oligarchy consisting of representatives from all regions of our controlled space, to ensure that we don't get the same tensions between core-worlders and fringers

C mercantile, time to focus on trade and exploration, we've got to get better at picking our battles, and economy has been our weak spot for too long, let's find some more phyrries to peddle our low grade mass produced crap to

wjw

Augur
Those voting for a Mercantile Oligarchy should turn to the True Light (or burn in purgatory). Ask yourselve these questions:

Are we to become like the Commonwealth? Unable to wage any war because wealth will always be the higher goal. Because trade cannot be interrupted?

Are we to be divided again? What if the balance of the Oligarchy breaks? What if one family wants to claim a greater domain than all others? Will we risk this internal struggle again?

Our people don't need wealth. If they needed that, they would have turned to the Commonwealth long ago. Our people need a purpose. Someone to believe in. Someone to fight for. They are want to receive the True Lord.

Angthoron

Arcane
Codexianity needs a purpose. A unifying goal. Wealth is not that goal. Wealth can be gained on the path to glory. Glory can't be gained on the path to wealth.

Empires rooted in greed and built upon DRMs and DLCs are destined to happy rotting and joyful fattening - sweet piglets for the knife of a butcher that is Time. Pray tell, Councillors, do you respect the Raumen? Their profiteering ways? Have you not, and have not those before you belittled their ways, equated them to scum, felt they are worth naught scaled against Codexia?

Where is that spirit now, Codexians? Has the bitterness of defeats broken you? Have you bent before greater powers? Have you become what you hated?

Arise, Codexianity, arise from your slumber, cast aside the shackles of greed and fear, of profiteering and of sloth - awaken and show your true spirit, the spirit that forged the Empire!

Conkrete Knight

Educated
The prime directive must be scientific advances, our war with the Hi'in showed why.

The question is: which government can make sure that the sanctity of progress is secured?

B Oligarchy is given, an autocrat ruler can turn mad in his old days and a democracy is to, well let us say "flexible".

However the government style is problematic, c would be an obvious choice, as science has shown itself to prosper in free markets, however the scientific budget for war spendings in a militaristic state gives me wet dreams, and then there are the unlimited scientific possibilities of a machine cult....

I am undecided.

I might edit government form in later, if i make up my mind.

Edit: Edit: B http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1iu-WAHBbW8

praetor

Arcane
oh, come on people.. be consistent! you constantly want war and now that you have the chance to turn fair Codexia into a purebred WAR MACHINE you pass it up?! satan damn it, i am disappointed (oh, and i really really think we should "take care" of the commo. i wouldn't really discard the possibility that they'll become our rival rather than a friend)

i am already seeing an update in a couple of days concerning a possible war and the majority jumping on to it with a barely working military. cue disastrous scenario (like for the last dozen or so updates)

no wonder we are where we are today.. you guys never think

To everyone voting for theocracy:

Can you point to ONE event in the previous 69 pages where religion was a factor? No? If so, is it not safe to assume that in Codexia, religion has been absent from public life for generations?

A theocracy is dependent upon the devotion of the masses, and their fear of other faiths and beliefs. In Codexia, (almost) complete freedom of faith has existed for generations, and demonizing someone for miniscule differences in faith is a concept so alien to the Codexian national memory that a theocracy is bound to fail. Even if people accept it's teachings they aren't going to understand why spreading the faith is a matter of life and death, or why the heretics and true believers can't simply exist side by side.

So, in the interest of stopping the religious fanatics from assuming power, I declare that if the supporters of a militarist state gets significantly less votes than needed to win, my vote shall flip-flop to C.

Angthoron

Arcane
When the normal means fail and when the spirits of men falter, there is a chance for a new religion to spark. It's not an uncommon practice. It doesn't matter what's really being worshipped - a God, the Universe, a Washing Machine, Progress, it simply doesn't matter.

What matter is what sways the minds of people and gives them a unifying purpose. Religion brings a unifying path through cult worship of whatever - perhaps a Divine Emperor, perhaps a Holy Cow.

The other options are pretty viable, obviously, but they do not offer unification of any sort. Commercialism brings us into the state of wealth worship, on top of everything, and that's like the worst path one can take because hey, look at the Raumen and their wealth. Did it help them? Oops, no. Did their cult of individualism? Oops, no. The unified Codexian fleets were the thing that saved them from being slaves of the Hin'in.

Religious doctrines don't automatically mean inquisition, excommunications, religious purges and brain-washed devotion.

Edit:

So in essence, by choosing various forms of "cult of individuality", you doom Codexia to follow in Raumen's footsteps, or prepare a fertile grounds for more Commonwealth. You can't build a powerful army with a bunch of loose alliances, unfortunately.

praetor

Arcane
fuck the spirit.. it leads nowhere. we need to start the ENGINES OF WAR and retake what is rightfully ours. the commo think their safe now that they've got their little cozy empire going on.. i say NO to this abomination! i say LET US STOP THEM to claim our rightful place among the cosmic order!

vote A! FOR THE NAVY! FOR CODEXIA!

Angthoron

Arcane
Conkrete Knight said:
Angthoron said:
Religious doctrines don't automatically mean inquisition, excommunications, religious purges and brain-washed devotion.

No, those are just a bonus, stabilising society further.

Quite so, actually. In fact, Inquisition of the days bygone is basically CIA/KGB-type organisation, an internal police with enormous scope of tasks and powers. If managed properly, and I would make certain they are managed properly, the internal stability forces would gain an enormous boost. Dissenters may leave for the Commonwealth if they so desire.

Codexianity needs a new strong core, not a rotten watermelon ready to be smashed by a gentle slap.

praetor

Arcane
Angthoron said:
You can't build a powerful army with a bunch of loose alliances, unfortunately.

and that's exactly why we need to focus on MILITARY. who will need alliances when whole galaxies will tremble at the mere whisper of Codexia? who will dare challenge our mighty WAR MACHINES that conquer the stars as if taking toys from children? WHO, I ASK, WILL STAND AGAINST US WHEN WE ULEASH THE DOGS OF WAR?! WHO?!

nobody, that's who!

FOR CONQUEST! FOR GLORY! FOR THE MILITARY!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom