Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Council - episodic narrative adventure with RPG elements set in the late 18th century

Erebus

Arcane
So I've reached the part where things start getting a bit more supernatural. So far, it's actually not that bad.

The fact that there are two supernatural beings who are manipulating mortals is a surprisingly neat explanation for many absurd details that you don't really linger on because you're, after all, playing a video game. (I don't think it explains the total absence of toilets in the manor, though.)

Sarah has only just sent me on a quest to fetch five items (some things never change), so I don't yet have a very clear idea of how the plot is going to evolve. But having to deal with two demons who can possess people and influence the minds of humans sounds interesting.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I've played only the first episode and it was great, but I heard the later episodes became worse.
Don't miss this game just because you heard it's not perfect throughout. If you only play perfect games you better find a new hobby. The Council isn't perfect but it's still worth playing to the end.

Latelistener

Arcane
I plan to do that, but since I have a massive backlog of games I'll wait until it will be given in Humble Choice.

Considering that the publisher is Focus and we already had Call of Cthulhu and Vampyr there, it won't be long before that.

Twiglard

Poland Stronk
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
For a game with that kind of subject matter, it's very boring story-wise. At least the puzzles are non-trivial.

FWIW, enable nvidia fast vsync to get some 50% speed boost.

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
I have to wonder if writers started taking crazy pills with episode 4, though. They also couldn't settle down on how important puzzles were supposed to be and so the entire thing is VERY uneven. One of those banes of episodic games, I guess.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Observation: Besides the fact that both are narrative RPGs without combat systems, there's another curious similarity between this game and Disco Elysium.

Like the Innocences of Disco Elysium, the daemons you encounter in The Council represent various historical forces. Lord Mortimer champions the rising enlightenment democracies, his brother Gregory defends the institution of absolute monarchy, and their father (who has withdrawn from human affairs) was literally Jesus.

On the other hand, the daemons operate as behind-the-scenes manipulators while Innocences (when they emerge) are globally acknowledged figures who are legally empowered to rule.

Spukrian

Savant
I really like The Council, despite its flaws. I would have high hopes for Swansong, but I know I need to temper my expectations, for obvious reasons.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom