Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Dark Eye 5e will be released in English

vonAchdorf

Arcane
Chances are, that (again) no one will care, but the Dark Eye, which brought masterpieces like the Realms of Arcania trilogy, snorefests like Drakensang and ok'ish SRPGs like Blackguards, and entertaining adventures like Chains of Satinav to PCs even outside the Middenrealm Germany will – in its newest 5e iteration – be released in English again, trying to succeed where a decade ago the same efforts failed.

Europe’s most popular fantasy RPG, The Dark Eye, will soon be available in America!
The Dark Eye (TDE) has enthralled players across Europe, and soon you will have a chance to see why. The world of Aventuria allows you to play every style of fantasy: epic high fantasy, medieval intrigue, barbaric adventures in the wilderness, or a classic pirate’s tale, just to name a few. Aventuria is the perfect setting for your stories and visions. Soon the world of Aventuria and the latest edition of the fantasy RPG The Dark Eye will be published in English!

They emphasize "Europe" ("A European game for players worldwide") over Germany, which is very German in itself.

rrJn5aT.jpg

Media Blitz:

http://ulisses-us.com/thedarkeye/
(with a free rules quick starter pdf)

Elim

Augur
Project: Eternity
Who wants this really bad system? I mean the setting is great, the rule system is an abomination. It makes GURPS with Tactical Shooting and a group of gun nuts look streamlined.

Parsifarka

Arcane
I eurhope this means more eurogames, now I'm playing Demonicon and euronjoying it. Guilty as incest. Aventuria is interesting, it has the just amount of fantashit.

Andhaira

Arcane
Fuck yes.

I own the 'The Dark Eye Adventure Game/Basic Game' which was the basic game released in english as a hardback, but was crushed they never translated the entire game. That was the 3e version I believe.
Hopefully this time we get the full core game at least, if not a couple of supplements (or best, all of them). Diploma Wielding Warriors here we come.

Any idea when it will be out in english? And whether the core book will have all the core rules?

Alex

Arcane
Who wants this really bad system? I mean the setting is great, the rule system is an abomination. It makes GURPS with Tactical Shooting and a group of gun nuts look streamlined.

Abomination normally has a bad connotation.

vonAchdorf

Arcane
Fuck yes.

I own the 'The Dark Eye Adventure Game/Basic Game' which was the basic game released in english as a hardback, but was crushed they never translated the entire game. That was the 3e version I believe.
Hopefully this time we get the full core game at least, if not a couple of supplements (or best, all of them). Diploma Wielding Warriors here we come.

Any idea when it will be out in english? And whether the core book will have all the core rules?

On Facebook, they say that they are aiming for a Q1 2ß16 release. At the moment, not even the German version of 5e is out afaik. They say, that they are committed to support the English version for a long time with future releases, but I think it's not unrealistic to assume, that this will only happen, if the core rules are selling.

Andhaira

Arcane
On Facebook, they say that they are aiming for a Q1 2ß16 release. At the moment, not even the German version of 5e is out afaik. They say, that they are committed to support the English version for a long time with future releases, but I think it's not unrealistic to assume, that this will only happen, if the core rules are selling.

Well then likely Summer-Fall 2016, and that's if the German version is not delayed.

They are going to sell the english version pdf only (at least at first) so there is hope it could do well, as their costs will be minimized.

The production values in the free quickstart rules are really good. Love the artwork. But somethings in the rules are not defined; for instance the pregens have special abilities, but there are no rules for them anywhere.

vonAchdorf

Arcane
Looks like there's at least some demand for the system. The stretch goals are a bit weak - sticker sets and a translated herald.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1216685848/the-dark-eye-rpgenglish-edition/posts/1593760

Funded!

6655e756e4cd30238c28e39f7f7ac62c_original.jpg

Thank you all so much! We're so thrilled at the amazing support everyone has shown! Our final stats were -

Total funds: $147,512 (1475% funded)
Backers: 1,619

That's just incredible! And as a special bonus thank-you, we have decided to still count the final stretch goal if we can reach $150,000 with our BackerKit totals, which means it is almost guaranteed.

What Happens Next
The first thing that's going to happen is that tomorrow (June 3rd), you will receive the Kickstarter survey. This is not the full survey, but it does include one very important question: What is your DriveThruRPG account email?

Make sure you have that account ready to go and answer that survey question right away! We're asking for that before we even send out the BackerKit survey because we want to get the Core Rules PDF to you as soon as possible. We'll probably send the first batch early next week.

By that time, we should have the BackerKit surveys going out as well. The BackerKit survey period will stay open for much longer, because we'll need to do a lot of resolving of addresses, shipping amounts, add-ons, and so forth. We will also be opening a pre-order page for those who were not able to participate in the Kickstarter. Keep an eye out for that!

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask them. We will make sure to keep all our communication channels open. We know that many of you had individual needs and requests, and we will definitely be addressing those in the coming days and weeks. We won't forget you!

In the meantime, raise a glass with us and celebrate this wonderful beginning for The Dark Eye's English-speaking community! You did it!

Dustin DePenning

Literate
Any super fans on here wanna sell us? I've only heard bad things about the dark eye in terms of how it plays. I want a solid counter to Elim's assertion.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom