Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

From Software The Dark Souls Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'jRPG Weeaboo Discussion' started by felipepepe, Mar 20, 2012.

1. Wunderbar Arcane

Wunderbar
    I heard that Remaster is much better optimized, and even can provide steady fps in Blighttown, which is huge.

^ Top  
  2. L'Montes Educated

L'Montes
    That's true, DSFix'd Prepare to Die was vulnerable to vanilla Dark Souls performance issues in various areas when you tried to run it with increased res/etc. At lower quality, it usually didn't have the same console performance issues though.

I feel like the motion blur is likely meant to be a performance saver behind the scenes, but it ran without any hitches in the demo at least. It's possible the PC version won't have motion blur.

Hard to get a real feel for all the changes from just a Parish demo of course (not exactly the most visually interesting area in the game). I noticed someone did a longer video on the demo as well.

^ Top  
  3. praetor Arcane

praetor

can't believe a (relatively) big name youtuber made such a negative video. hopefully more join the fray!

• incline incline x 3
    ^ Top  
  4. RoSoDude Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

RoSoDude
    As usual, the existence of proper mouse controls is missing from discussion of the modded Prepare to Die Edition (a very notable feature, considering the "remaster" has done nothing to fix them after 6 years), but I appreciate this guy going into depth otherwise.

Also, nice little plug for Midair at the end, I definitely recommend people give that game a try instead of plopping down $20-40 on this lazy cashgrab.

^ Top  
  5. DemonKing Arcane

DemonKing
    I watched a few vids yesterday of people who were happy/pleasantly surprised by the remaster beta. It was clear from the way they were playing they were DS veterans too. I guess we'll just have to wait for the final release to see if this really is just a minimal effort cash grab or something which actually took a bit of effort to produce.

^ Top  
  6. L'Montes Educated

L'Montes
    For what it's worth, I'm a vet, and despite my disappointment, I'm still getting the remaster.

I'll be playing through Dark Souls 1 with some friends. It'll be their first time, but not mine. In that sense, a new version with an active community is a plus, regardless of any dissatisfaction with things like motion blur or what-not.

• decline decline x 2
    • Shit Shit x 2
    • Heresy Heresy x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Makabb Arcane Shitposter Bethestard

Makabb
    Gotta love how everyone went full retard mode in this thread when no one has played the PC version yet

^ Top  
  8. Beggar Arbiter

Beggar
    Torrent, finnish game in 12 hours, post in the screenshot thread, uninstall.

• Bad Spelling Bad Spelling x 2
    • Shit Shit x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. LESS T_T Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

LESS T_T
    Codex 2014
    FWIW:

• Informative Informative x 2
    • incline incline x 1
    • FAKE NEWS FAKE NEWS x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. CthuluIsSpy Arcane

CthuluIsSpy
    Blighttown worked fine with DSFix though. I never had framerate issues with it.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • FAKE NEWS FAKE NEWS x 5
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. Tancred Learned

Tancred
    I'm seriously getting triggered by that guy taking the ladders every time instead of just rolling off the edges to get down faster.

• Funny Funny x 3
    ^ Top  
  12. cvv Arcane Patron

cvv
    Hasn't the Blighttown problem always applied only to consoles?

• Disagree Disagree x 3
    • it is a mystery it is a mystery x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. DoomIhlVaria Cipher Patron

DoomIhlVaria
    Make the Codex Great Again! Insert Title Here
    It's strange how he doesn't discuss that matchmaking is barely functional in the old PC version, unless I missed it. That alone is going to be worth the upgrade for me.

^ Top  
  14. Arnust Savant

Arnust
    "Upgrade" Do you also call getting fixed two broken legs an "upgrade"? And anyway, the DSCM mod does the job more than fine.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. sullynathan Arcane

sullynathan
    "Don't worry, mods will fix it"

• Rage Rage x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. L'Montes Educated

L'Montes
    OG Dark Souls launched with GFWL, and was only unshackled from that later.

The remaster will run through Namco matchmaking like 2/3 I'd imagine. So, "mods will fix it" may not apply for online issues. Or rather, "mods will break it" might, since there was some inconsistency about getting softbanned for running mods (visual or otherwise) that weren't cheats.

Also, as far as DSFix "fixing" Blighttown, that Digital Foundry video includes a segment showing framerate drops in the old DSFix augmented build on a modern PC just aiming for 1080p/60 that aren't present in the PS4 builds. DSFix is great, but it wasn't a perfect solution to poorly coded elements. And for the people that salty-Mcbutthurt about people possibly buying newer version for a larger community, and thinking about holding onto the great community in old PC... remember you literally can't buy old PC Dark Souls anymore. It doesn't exist - delisted. That community will only get smaller over time.

So, you're left with imperfect solutions here.

^ Top  
  17. cvv Arcane Patron

cvv
    DS3 matchmaking runs through Namco too and a week after launch hackorz were so widespread I had to pull my cord coz some idiot kept invading and teleporting me around. Then I found it was the smartest solution since people who didn't do it were shadowbanned for illegal items (smuggled onto their account by hackorz).

Yeah, I'm sure the Remaster online system will be up to Namco's standards of robustness.

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Rage Rage x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. L'Montes Educated

L'Montes
    ^ Top  
  19. Those new torches are so fucking ugly.
    Seriously, if you already have the game on PC, there's no reason whatsoever to buy this.

• Brofist Brofist x 4
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. Last edited by a moderator: May 19, 2018
    • Funny x 4
    • Shit x 3
    • hopw roewur ne x 2
    • WTF am I reading x 2
    • thumbs down x 1
    • Up Yours x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. Multidirectional Arcane

Multidirectional
    Drops to 15 FPS in Blighttown and during boss fights were common for everyone until FPS unlock option got added to DSFix.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • what? what? x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. Akratus Self-loathing fascist drunken misogynist asshole Patron

Akratus
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    Doing a playthrough of Dark Souls 1 with a str build using a zweihander, no magic, pyromancy or ranged stuff. Here's my kill list so far:
    Show Spoiler
    v asylum demon
    v taurus demon
    v bell gargoyles
    v capra demon
    v ceaseless dis.
    v quelaag
    v gaping dragon
    v moonlight btrf.
    v pinwheel
    v havel
    v undead dragon
    v iron golem
    v stray demon
    v ornstein & smough
    seath
    sif
    gwyndolin
    nito
    priscilla
    four kings
    centipede demon
    bed of chaos
    demon firesage
    gwyn

sanctuary guardian
    Kalameet
    artorias
    Manus
    Any (mini)bosses I missed?

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. Atomkilla Arcane

Atomkilla

Darkroot Garden Hydra. One in Ash Lake too.
    But I guess you actually killed the first one already, just didn't list it.

^ Top  
  24. Gentle Player Arcane

Gentle Player
    Bridge dragon as well.

^ Top  
  25. Akratus Self-loathing fascist drunken misogynist asshole Patron

Akratus
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    Yeah, yeah of course I didn't skip the Hydra, yeah. Or the bridge dragon.

Also I gotta say, I'm using the mouse and keyboard. Never was one for controllers. And just beat Sif and upgraded my Zweihander to +13.

• Salute Salute x 1
    ^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.