Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software The Dark Souls Discussion Thread

Lutte

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
end game with this shit is bound to leave regrets.
No kidding. I upgraded a falchion to +14 and just shit on Kalameet on my first try, took less than a minute.
You probably feel like a god after having done much of the game with weak tools and now suddenly having good equipment, lol.
Lightning spear isn't too useful either in this game, faith builds started becoming good at ranged offense with DS2. DS1's sorceries are good, pyromancies.. are meh and situational (having to get close to get fireballs off.. might as well just use melee weapons), though the firestorm type does ton of damage on large hitbox enemies and Iron Flesh makes you a poise god.

Which doesn't mean faith sucks though. Faith has the best buff spell of the game, and using it is a game changer in that everything melts away on your path once you get it. If having heavy armor, high vit and endurance is this game easy mode, adding dark moon blade on top unlocks journalist mode.

Silverfish

Arbiter
Split damage weapons. Bro, they are total garbage in DS1.

Let's not go around lying to people. Elemental weapons are pretty strong in DS1 and actually overpowered in the base game. They're rotten in the dlc because all of the bosses have immense elemental defenses, so even if you play to their "weaker" element (lightning vs Kalameet for example), the damage just can't keep up.

Silverfish

Arbiter
DS1's sorceries are good, pyromancies.. are meh and situational (having to get close to get fireballs off.. might as well just use melee weapons)

Right, except that in DS1, casting spells doesn't consume stamina. So close range pyro spam will outperform any melee weapon provided the enemy doesn't completely shrug off fire damage.

Lutte

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Let's not go around lying to people.
You are the one who shouldn't be lying.
At no point are these weapons ever better than a buffed normal path.

Right, except that in DS1, casting spells doesn't consume stamina. So close range pyro spam will outperform any melee weapon provided the enemy doesn't completely shrug off fire damage.

"outperform melee"
I really want to watch you do this kind of stuff with pyro :

By the way, it's a normal weapon, you can't pull these crazy stunts with dingy fire/chaos/lightning path weapons.

Silverfish

Arbiter
At no point are these weapons ever better than a buffed normal path.

Moderately lower damage for substantially lower stat requirements. Taking two extra hits to kill a boss is a small price to pay for having a ton of free stat points to invest into HP, equip load or convenience spells.

"outperform melee"
I really want to watch you do this kind of stuff with pyro :

You can easily do this with Great Combustion spam.

The_Mask

Just like Yves, I chase tales.
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Replaying the game after Elden Ring and I've been going through with heavy armour and all my points in vitality and endurance. I've been using Quelaags Furysword and the Lightning Spear and it was going well up until Manus and Kalameet. I do about 50 damage to Kalameet with each attack and maybe 60 or so to Manus. This is a nightmare, please save me.
Sure.

DLC bosses have strong defenses against elements. If you look at all the options that you have for upgrading, given your "tank" build, you'll notice that one stands out: raw.

Raw increases base damage without relying on stats. :)

Everything in Dark Souls has a purpose. That's why it's a great game.

Lutte

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
DLC bosses have strong defenses against elements. If you look at all the options that you have for upgrading, given your "tank" build, you'll notice that one stands out: raw.

Sigh.
Falchion normal +15 base AR :
Raw +5 :

Zweihander normal +15 :
raw :

A stupid noobtrap. Raw removes scaling but doesn't actually give you better base AR than the regular path. A character with almost no physical stats (str or dex) will still do better with a normal upgrade path weapon than with a raw weapon.

Just stop recommending this sort of shit.
On paper you'd think raw should be the better deal for characters who don't upgrade their dex or str. It's not. DS1 is a game with a lot of trap mechanics, just like how people who start the game blind might end up wasting points into the resistance stat.

Lutte

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
you don't know his stats

The comparison I made was base AR, wielding the weapons with only their stat requirement. I don't need to know his stats, raw weapons are inferior no matter which stats you have, doofus.

Raw doesn't eliminate stat addition

But they reduce them without giving you better base AR.

The_Mask

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
you don't know his stats

The comparison I made was base AR, wielding the weapons with only their stat requirement. I don't need to know his stats, raw weapons are inferior no matter which stats you have, doofus.

Raw doesn't eliminate stat addition

But they reduce them without giving you better base AR.
You're right. I'm retarded.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2

Sigh.
Falchion normal +15 base AR :
Raw +5 :

Zweihander normal +15 :
raw :

A stupid noobtrap. Raw removes scaling but doesn't actually give you better base AR than the regular path. A character with almost no physical stats (str or dex) will still do better with a normal upgrade path weapon than with a raw weapon.

Just stop recommending this sort of shit.
On paper you'd think raw should be the better deal for characters who don't upgrade their dex or str. It's not. DS1 is a game with a lot of trap mechanics, just like how people who start the game blind might end up wasting points into the resistance stat.

Did this change either over patches or over the series? I've never really used raw, but I could've swore that it boosted base AR in exchange for nerfing the stat bonuses. I know raw got nerfed hard in DS3 because of things people were doing with the Astora Straight Sword.

The_Mask

Patron
I just realized that I've begun to FORGET STUFF about Dark Souls.

Since this is a very important quest, and since the end goal is to experience Dark Souls anew, I think I'm going to unsubscribe from this thread, and continue forgetting.

Sorry about my blunder.

perfectslumbers

Arbiter
boosted base AR in exchange for nerfing the stat bonuses.
It does. The reason raw is so bad in DS1 is because raw goes up to a maximum of +5, and you turn a +5 weapon to a raw +0. So in essence you have a +10 weapon that cannot be upgraded further. Whereas normal weapons go to +15.

Lutte

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
boosted base AR in exchange for nerfing the stat bonuses.
It does. The reason raw is so bad in DS1 is because raw goes up to a maximum of +5, and you turn a +5 weapon to a raw +0. So in essence you have a +10 weapon that cannot be upgraded further. Whereas normal weapons go to +15.

It's all up to from to decide what "+10" in a specific path means, and what "+15" does for another path, though.
For example, in Elden Ring, somber weapons only upgrade to +10, while normal path weapons go to +25.. but many of the somber weapons do more damage at their +10 than a normal does at +25 (and somber stones are easier to get than the normal ones.. ahh, game balance). "max upgrade level" is an arbitrary number, what matters is the actual table of AR increase per level. And for raw in DS1, obviously it doesn't look very good. Overall, From decided this path they've made was a mistake and made it useless.

monilloman

Educated
I checked a few tables on different weapons and Raw +5 outscales Normal +10 on every one of them so it's not a useless upgrade, it only is if you're comparing it to a +15 which is a late-ish game upgrade compared to the entrance of the depths large ember.

I think that its a decent option for a first timer who spent most of their levels on vit/end in order to tank as much as possible and didn't care much for weapons since at that point in the game you'd most likely seen either the starting weapons or pretty weak ones (I know I missed the claymore, zwei, drake sword, etc on my first run).

SumDrunkGuy

I just realized that I've begun to FORGET STUFF about Dark Souls.

Since this is a very important quest, and since the end goal is to experience Dark Souls anew, I think I'm going to unsubscribe from this thread, and continue forgetting.

Sorry about my blunder.

That's normal. I forgot a lot of stuff from Dark Souls and almost everything from Dark Souls 3. I remember everything from 2 though, because it's the GOAT and only fags disagree.

terminator-deal-with-it.gif

Silverfish

Arbiter

Raw weapons are fine, they're a way of getting a decent early-game weapon that can be buffed and doesn't eat valuable upgrade materials (they only need large shards). They're a good choice for noobs to play around with before boss weapons and higher tier embers become available. It's like saying the Drake Sword sucks because it eventually falls off.

Eyestabber

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Were the servers for Dark Souls 2 shutdown? Couldn't find the DS2 thread. Couldn't log into MP for two days now. Is DS 2 MP just...gone? :negative:

Modron

Arcane
Were the servers for Dark Souls 2 shutdown? Couldn't find the DS2 thread. Couldn't log into MP for two days now. Is DS 2 MP just...gone? :negative:
Security vulnerability was discovered in ds 1-3 and their priority was fixing it in ER first then backporting fixes to previous games at a later date. Granted it may have been fixed by now for all I know since I don't follow the news that much.

Last edited:

Latelistener

Arcane
Yeah, this vulnerability was discovered RIGHT before the release of Elden Ring. How convenient.

It's certainly not because they wanted to squeeze everything for Elden Ring and move everyone from other games there.

Just when I was about to start my DS2 walkthrough.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Lightning spear isn't too useful either in this game, faith builds started becoming good at ranged offense with DS2.

I always had the impression faith offensive spells were meant for co-op, so much so you get the important ones through the co-op covenant in the first place.

As a dedicated Sunbro, it was always satisfying to nuke bosses with lighting spears while the host engaged them.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Yeah, this vulnerability was discovered RIGHT before the release of Elden Ring. How convenient.

It's certainly not because they wanted to squeeze everything for Elden Ring and move everyone from other games there.

They STILL haven't fixed that shit?

It sure did seem mighty suspicious to me.

Sunri

Liturgist

They STILL haven't fixed that shit?

It sure did seem mighty suspicious to me.

No but they deleted co=op tags from steam, so they may not fix it at all.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom