Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Darkside Detective

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
solved 1st case. Does not disappoint, music is the best

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
finished whole thing. There is too much backtracking to see if by chance something happened that might unblock you. As such you stop thinking and mindlessly wander about hoping to push a bit forward. I think last mission was the worst both in that regard and in randomly used items(I might be overstating this, impression was strong due to getting items early & combining them without knowing why).
I did complete everything so it must be good. Darkside detective and last door series are still the only adventures that I did

Neuromancer

Augur
Finished this now - with a bit of mixed feelings.

After the first case, I would have said: Everyone who loved the first game should get this one as well.
At one point during the first case, they make the joke that this would be the most fleshed out case, since this is what people see first.
Turns out, that was no joke, since the first case is the best one (at least in my opinion).

The first game build this kind of unique atmosphere with a strange mixture between zany humor and dark Lovecraftian horror figures - e.g. by putting the monsters just into otherwise mundane situations. And it worked!

In the sequel, they overcranked this a little bit too much for my taste. Especially in the last case which played at a high-school, some situations and characters just feel weird and out of place - and in a bad way.

Obviously they tried to crank up difficulty, because some people complained, that the first game was too easy.
But that lead to some puzzles being too obtuse and/or only solvable by Try and Error.
In case 2: To get the crank from a picture by using vinegar was way off - even for the games strange humoristic logic. Yeah, the description of the picture says, that the crank seem to stand out and vinegar is a (weak) acid, but still...

Case 5: The combination puzzle of using the trash can with the mirror was absolutely retarded imo. I only "solved" this puzzle by brute forcing and I can't seem to see any way to logically come up with this solution.

Case 6: The position of 1 or 2 characters in the ending puzzle also didn't seem completely logical to me, but at least you can solve this by just experimenting quickly enough.
Because of the general bigger locations to game 1, it is also much easier to overlook some hotspots and items.

As a conclusion, is this game still good?

Yes, if you liked the first game. But expect a slight decline compared to that one.

Neuromancer

Augur
Just try it, I guess. ;)

Some puzzles are ok, it's just that a few are senseless imo and must be "solved" by luck or just Try & Error.
Also, part of a slightly harder difficulty for part two are the larger locations per case.

Going into the first game, I already knew, that it was going to be very easy.
So, I didn't expect a full-fledged adventure, just went in for the general experience and so the lack of difficulty didn't bother me that much.

Boleskine

Arcane
http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/darkside-detective-the/

Darkside Detective, The

Posted by Jonathan Kaharl on May 10, 2021

368390_20191029201839_1-1100x618.png

The Darkside Detective – PC, Mac OS X, Linux, Switch (2017)

header-2.jpg

The Darkside Detective is probably one of the most middle of the road sort of adventure games you’ll ever play – at first. The idea is you play as one Detective McQueen, a paranormal investigator who deals with the spooky stuff in the town of Twin Lakes, helped by his dimwitted sidekick Officer Dooley. Shenanigans ensue, and you learn more about the characters as you go from case to case, like McQueen constantly being undervalued by the higher ups. It’s not much at first, but the longer the game goes on, the more it adds to its world, the character dynamics, and the supernatural ideas explored.

368390_20191029203006_1-480x270.png

The early episodes are mainly short gag collections, which are impressively funny just for how compact these chapters are. Comedy games tend to have a pacing issue, where you have to actively look for the jokes and may not get punchlines worth the time investment. The Darkside Detective mainly works in basic puns and nonsensical absurdity, and those styles of humor work well with fast pacing. It’s quite charming, even with the extremely generic sprite art design, what with every character looking like a generic stick figure indie hero man, thanks mainly to Gabe McCabe’s peppy dialog.

368390_20191029200953_1-480x270.png

What makes Darkside Detective something worth investing in as a franchise, with a second game currently in development thanks to Kickstarter, is those later episodes. They become longer and more complex in their design, which does weaken the pacing of jokes, but they make up for it with stronger character dynamics. McQueen and Dooley grow a fun back and forth that makes them feel like equals, and the supporting cast gets used in a lot more fun ways, especially in the case where the duo have to save Christmas. Some puzzles are a bit much at times, relying on trying a ton of different options until you manage to break through out of sheer frustration, but the episodes are still relatively on the short side to keep it from being a game killer.

368390_20191030213526_1-480x270.png

The growing personality and new ideas at play, like the politics of the darkside dimension, create a genuine world, and the amusing little gag game becomes a proper adventure with characters you want to see more of. You can see the team learning the further they go with the later added episodes, and it makes the promise of that sequel game all the more exciting. If you want a great point and click that will leave a smile on your face (assuming you can handle a few annoying item puzzles here and there), you’ll find something very much worth investing in here.

Falksi

Arcane
Just finished the first 2 cases and absolutely loving it so far.

Funny, charming, great snappy UI, love the fact that it's broken down into different cases too.

Puzzles so far have been fairly easy, but they've still done enough to make me stop and think on the odd occasion. Not it's strongest point, but at this stage of playing I wouldn't expect anything too taxing.

Music is fucking LUSH, as is the atmosphere in general. They combine with the humour a treat.

Can't believe it was under £4. Fucking steal, and a game everyone should try for that price.

Last edited:

Modron

Arcane
The second bonus case should be out now.
Hey, detectives!

The next bonus case for the Darkside Detective: A Fumble in the Dark releases April 14th!

Buzz is missing! Which means his mom is worried! WHICH MEANS SHE WON'T COOK OFFICER DOOLEY DINNER! Head to the Twin Lakes Botanical Gardens to get to the bottom of this here mystery! Based off the Darkside choose-your-own adventure from Twitter last year, you can check out the trailer just down below!

https://steamcommunity.com/games/795420/announcements/detail/3178986531402012438

Don Peste

Arcane
The Darkside Detective + A Fumble in the Dark are now claimable on the Amazon Gaming app until July 13th (if you are subscribed).

Modron

Arcane

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom