Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Death of Immersive Sims?

Jacob

Pronouns: Nick/Her
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
what is a video game genre???

why am I playing a romance anime game and it calls itself an "adventure game"???

I think a better question is, why are you playing a romance anime game?
My friends tell me it's good and I have to keep an open mind

Dev_Anj

Learned
If video games were to be defined by what you do most of the time, most of them would be "movement sims".

See what I did thar?

Just because you do something a lot doesn't mean that was the focus of the game. Deus Ex has you talking a lot, yet none calls it a "conversation sim". On System Shock 2's highest difficulty you end up fighting most enemies with a wrench, yet it is only called a "wrenching sim" in jest. Of course Tomb Raider would have "platforming" the same way most computer games have walking, running, and jumping; merely as a rote means of traversal, not because they wanted the player to make some tense/amazing jumps between landforms.

Only in Cuckdex general gaming does Nu Tomb Raider in no way qualify as a platformer despite the shitty core gameplay consisting of 60% Platforming, 40% shooting.
I'm as skeptical as anyone about modern-day gaming and I agree with the general sentiment that all kinds of games are being incredibly dumbed down as a result of a broadening audience and thinning of the creative base (i.e. most people that used to make cool games all those years ago were engineers, now it's talentless cucks with 'game design' degrees).

However, it's important to make certain distinctions.

I'd compare Cuck Raider to Gears of War before coming anywhere close to describing it as a platformer, even though a jump button technically exists.

There are modern-day platformers, and some of them are really, really good - Donkey Kong Country Returns for the Wii and Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze for the Wii U are honestly some of the best platformers ever made, and they came out fairly recently. As has been said in this thread, Rayman Origins and Rayman Legends are also great (probably the last platformers to be released by a big Ubishit-scale company on PC), some indie stuff is cool like Shovel Knight (which is more the exception than the rule, most indie platformers are ass), Giana Sisters, etc.

Jacob

Pronouns: Nick/Her
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Only in Cuckdex general gaming does Nu Tomb Raider in no way qualify as a platformer despite the shitty core gameplay consisting of 60% Platforming, 40% shooting.
I'm as skeptical as anyone about modern-day gaming and I agree with the general sentiment that all kinds of games are being incredibly dumbed down as a result of a broadening audience and thinning of the creative base (i.e. most people that used to make cool games all those years ago were engineers, now it's talentless cucks with 'game design' degrees).

However, it's important to make certain distinctions.

I'd compare Cuck Raider to Gears of War before coming anywhere close to describing it as a platformer, even though a jump button technically exists.

There are modern-day platformers, and some of them are really, really good - Donkey Kong Country Returns for the Wii and Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze for the Wii U are honestly some of the best platformers ever made, and they came out fairly recently. As has been said in this thread, Rayman Origins and Rayman Legends are also great (probably the last platformers to be released by a big Ubishit-scale company on PC), some indie stuff is cool like Shovel Knight (which is more the exception than the rule, most indie platformers are ass), Giana Sisters, etc.
What would you describe the original Tomb Raider as, and what do you think is the current successor to the old Tomb Raider gameplay?

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk

Ash

Arcane
what do you think is the current successor to the old Tomb Raider gameplay?

There's no such thing.
rating_negativeman.png

Giana Sisters

That was remade?
rating_lulz.gif

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
At first I was dismissive but for a shovelware kickstarter Unity remake, that looks quite acceptable.
And they brought Chris Huelsbeck, risen from the grave.

AND they somehow were able to use the popular Machinae Supremacy remix - that is faithful and impressive, I have to hand it to them. Shame I don't dig platformers. Still, impressed.

HansDampf

Arcane
The game is decent but gets old pretty fast. It doesn't hold a candle to Shovel Knight.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
This may sound silly but during Amiga and C64 times, sometimes we bought games not for whether it was any good, but for the awesome composers and graphics at the time, shallow as that might sound. Like, Turrican 2 suffers from that strange collision system, but it and many other games of the time (Shadow of the Beast!) are a good example how, at least sometimes, excellent art and sound can absolutely elevate an otherwise bad or mediocre game into something very special and well-remembered.

I found Shovel Knight too easy to take seriously as a platformer, considering all the advances platformers have had in recent years. Compare it to Rayman: Legends to see what I mean, or even Donkey Kong Returns.

It also came out 4 years before Shovel Knight at a time when platformers on PC were still very much a novelty. I liked it quite a bit.

Donkey Kong Country Returns has some fiendishly hard levels (namely the optional x-K levels, 1-k in particular took me close to 20 tries to clear). I also thought Shovel Knight was too easy, but I had a blast playing it because it was really well put together.

Archibald

Arcane
What would you describe the original Tomb Raider as, and what do you think is the current successor to the old Tomb Raider gameplay?

There is badly defined genre called "action adventure" where games like Tomb Raider were usually placed. Basically you run around, shoot some people, make some jumps, solve some puzzles and do some other random crap. I haven't played newer Tomb Raiders, but from what I have seen/read it looks like it is in the same genre, just that they decided to focus more on certain elements and left others underdeveloped. Either way, I don't remember Tomb Raider ever being considered as real platformer by people who played platformers, sure it had more focus on it, but it never really was about platforming like, for example, Donkey Kong: Tropical Freeze was.

pippin

The devs also made a 2d version of Giana Sisters (ironically?). I liked the game though, for what it was.

Ash

Arcane
Rule of modern side-scrolling platformers these days: has to have a cutesy art style.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom