Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Deep Paths: Labyrinth Of Andokost TB Blobber - Out Now

Whisper

Arcane
Vatnik
Looks like we get new Blobber incoming, looks visually good. Fights seems to be turn-based instead of real-time. Release is 14th October.

"Warriors and Wizards get your weapons ready and health potions made, as a new Dungeon Crawler known as ' The Deep Paths Labyrinth of Andokost' is coming to Steam 14th October! If you loved those turn based classics such as Dungeon Master and Lands of Lore, of which this game is inspired by, then The Deep Paths developed by Steve Jarman is a game you might want to add to your wish list. Explore a vast labyrinth filled with dangerous creatures, and hidden treasures, to unravel an ancient mystery and deliver their city from harm's way".

Some videos and screenshots here.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/375500/

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
from the creator who did the recent blobber classic Coldfire Keep

wait, no

Whisper

Arcane
Vatnik
Neither Dungeon Master nor Lands of Lore were turn-based.

Somebody needs to do their research before doing these promo write-ups. :cool:

Myself i prefer turn-based or at least those that dont rely on "dancing" tactic (too boring for me).

Mortmal

Arcane
Fights seems to be turn-based instead of real-time. Release is 14th October./

No , its a classic dungeon master clone in real time, its obvious looking at the trailer....A good thing for them, turn based blobbers like elminage sell less than 5k on steam.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
i don't like real time blobbers. have tried but cannot understand mindset of people who do.

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
I've always thought that making a real time blobber is harder and more perillous than making a turn-based one. In a turn-based one you just need some enemies to kill and some party management and the game is already fun, while in real time blobbers you mandatorily need a clever level design with inventive or at least pleasant puzzles to be enjoyable. Of course what I'm saying only reflects the fun I get from the games and doesn't translate in term of sale numbers at all.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
i've always thought the opposite. with a real time blobber you don't have to invest time or energy into making a good combat system and they usually feature weaker encounter design because the real time nature allows for less abstraction in both conflict resolution and in difficulty pacing; real time blobbers also usually feature less emphasis on developing character classes, again, due to less abstraction, and they feature less number-crunching and usually a weaker itemization design.

to counter these points they usually feature systems you usually won't find in a turn-based blobber such as food/water/mana pool regeneration mechanics, and at least a cursory attempt at Adventure Game-style puzzles; and probably key to the main enjoyment derived from them: a stronger emphasis on creative dungeon design.

my way of thinking is this: "man, this real time blobber suder does have a neat dungeon. if it was turn-based it would be even better!". i can't see any down-side to going the extra mile and adding in the additional depth that the additional layers of abstraction potentially allow when using a turn-based foundation and this applies (IMO) to every single sub-genre not just blobbers.

EDIT: it should also be noted that traditionally:

- in the West it is the real-time blobber that sells more
- in Japan it is the turn-based one

this falls in line with the other RPG sub-genres as well.

Keldryn

Arcane
Yeah, I grew to dislike the real-time Dungeon Master clones. I have to control the actions of four characters in real-time using a clunky interface, while the monsters don't have to cope with that. Doing the two-step is the only viable strategy for combat, and it gets old quickly. Also, when the game makes a point of allowing only the front two characters to attack with melee weapons, it is really stupid when the characters in the back are getting whacked by monsters and can't do anything about it. Moving a whole party of adventurers around in real-time as a single unit is really weird when you stop to think about it.

I didn't play too much of Dungeon Master, as by the time I actually found it for the PC I had already played the first Eye of the Beholder and I was already getting bored with that style of gameplay. I remember drooling over the images of the Amiga/ST versions of DM in old Dragon Magazines, but I wasn't even aware that it had been ported to the PC until much later.

I much preferred the style of the middle Might & Magic games (III-V).

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Yeah, realtime blobbers have necessarily simpler combat than TBS but still, over the years I've loved most of them. Dungeon Masters, EoBs, Lands of Lore, both Grimrocks, you name it.

But a proper blobber RPG with TB combat is by far my favourite kind of RPG. LOVED Might&Magic X. Wizardry 7 is still unsurpassed jewel of the genre in my book. So this game makes me all :bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce:

P.S. except the particularly idiotic name. Jesus Steve Jarman, have you got no sense man?

Mortmal

Arcane
i don't like real time blobbers. have tried but cannot understand mindset of people who do.
Well the first RT blobber was dungeon master, back then not so many computer games , let alone rpgs, i was with other kids beating each others with sticks in the mud , that when we had sticks. So theres a bit of nostalgy, it was something wonderful and new with super realistic graphics and gameplay, magically appearing on the screen . RTblobber were bethesda games ancestors, not as deep as a wizardy , but a lot more fun and quick to get into, a lot more fun than anything rpg related in the 80's.

Melan

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! I helped put crap in Monomyth
DEEP BENEATH THE CITY...

A POWERFUL ENEMY STIRS...

AND A SMALL BAND OF HEROES...

IS ALL THAT STANDS IN THE WAY...

SOMEONE IN THE YEAR 2016...

WROTE THIS CLICHÉD SHIT...

AND PUT IT IN A TRAILER...

AT LEAST IT DIDN'T HAVE O FORTUNA...

:deadhorse:

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
At this point RPG plots are way, way beyond cliche. It's like saying iPhones are cliched because every single one looks exactly the same. No, this is not cliche, this is an integral, inseparable feature. Maybe these types of games CAN'T be any different. The fundamental laws of the universe don't allow it.

Or maybe it's because these indie games are made mostly by programmers, engineers and other spergs, without a shred of artistic ability or ambition. Hence the writing, plots and names (The Deep Paths: The Laybrinth of Andokost... seriously?).

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
could be the game dev is following the age-old tradition of late-80's and early-90's dungeon crawler developers of utilizing their last name spelled backwards for dungeon/game name inspiration.

....naaah that's way too smart for them judging from the OP.

V_K

Arcane
Well the first RT blobber was dungeon master, back then not so many computer games , let alone rpgs, i was with other kids beating each others with sticks in the mud , that when we had sticks. So theres a bit of nostalgy, it was something wonderful and new with super realistic graphics and gameplay, magically appearing on the screen . RTblobber were bethesda games ancestors, not as deep as a wizardy , but a lot more fun and quick to get into, a lot more fun than anything rpg related in the 80's.
To be fair, the original DM had a bit more complex combat than modern clones in that your party members could face different directions. Not to mention that very few, if any, games at the time allowed the use of environments to kill enemies. Even nowadays it's not very common.

Mortmal

Arcane
To be fair, the original DM had a bit more complex combat than modern clones in that your party members could face different directions. Not to mention that very few, if any, games at the time allowed the use of environments to kill enemies. Even nowadays it's not very common.
yes its true, hunger and thirst management too, using the portullis to kill monsters, many things missing int he modern rt blobbers.

Heretic

Cipher
I call it "active turn-based" but I don't know how accurately that applies. You can see how it works in the gameplay video - essentially if ANY party member acts, then movement for the party is locked down for the turn duration (in other words, they commit to combat for at least 1 turn). After an attack, the party member must "cool down" to complete their turn. If no one is in a state of cooling down, then movement becomes an option again (i.e. you can run away if you want to). What you can't do it just kite enemies to cheat-fight them :)

Oh, and in the meantime, the enemy is moving/attacking the party using it's own turn system, not in sync with the party's turns - i.e. the enemy will keep attacking you even if you're just standing there.
http://steamcommunity.com/app/375500/discussions/0/350542114327737274/

Anthedon

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I call it "active turn-based" but I don't know how accurately that applies. You can see how it works in the gameplay video - essentially if ANY party member acts, then movement for the party is locked down for the turn duration (in other words, they commit to combat for at least 1 turn). After an attack, the party member must "cool down" to complete their turn. If no one is in a state of cooling down, then movement becomes an option again (i.e. you can run away if you want to). What you can't do it just kite enemies to cheat-fight them :)

Oh, and in the meantime, the enemy is moving/attacking the party using it's own turn system, not in sync with the party's turns - i.e. the enemy will keep attacking you even if you're just standing there.
http://steamcommunity.com/app/375500/discussions/0/350542114327737274/

Why not make it turn based at that point?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom