Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware The definitive, authoritative, and probably non-exhaustive list of non-(IBM) PC cRPGs

Rincewind

Magister
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
To make the data easier to browse I was considering moving it to a spreadsheet and replacing the current content with a table that would look like such(spreadsheet would be available too):
Game Name​
Original Release Year​
Info​
Curator recommendation​
Amiga​
Antstream​
Amstrad CPC​
Apple II​
Apple IIGS​
Atari 8-bit​
Atari ST​
BBC Micro​
Commodore 64​
Commodore 128​
Commodore PET​
CP/M​
Dragon 32/64​
Macintosh​
TI-99​
TRS-80​
VIC 20​
ZX Spectrum​
Abandoned Places 2​
1993​
DC CA
✓​
Centauri Alliance​
1990​
✓​
✓​
OrbQuest​
1981​
CA
✓​

Is this more readable or less readable?
The current format is fine; you can view the list of games per platform, and I assume that's what most people are interested in (e.g. list of Amiga exlusives one might have missed).

But publishing the spreadsheet on Google Sheets or something would be cool because then you can apply your own filter criteria (e.g. list all Commodore exclusives, or games that were only released for a single specific platform and no others).

Another problem with this tabular view is that you cannot lock the header row, so once it's no longer visible, it's quite hard to follow which tick means what exactly.

kangaxx

Arbiter
There are probably a few I can suggest for the Acorn and BBC Micro as well. We had a lot of them at school when I was a kid, being a Brit.

I often see Lords of Midnight and Doomdark's Revenge described as mixture between wargame and RPG. There is no character progression for sure, but it certainly has RPG elements to it (emphasis on exploration, characters with different stats and traits, the possibility to solve the game roleplaying style by destroying the Ice Crown as Morkin and gathering a party to do so - preferably with the powerful dragon Farflame...). On the other hand there have been remakes for Windows in 2013/2014 for both games so I'm not sure if it even counts...
There is also Legend of Eshan, kind of a LoM/DDR-clone for the obscure SAM Coupé. Same gameplay elements, also described as a "roleplaying simulation". I think it's the only game that's at least similar to an RPG on this platform.

Codex Year of the Donut
Atari 2600 appears to have had one "true" roleplaying game.

Notably, it featured multiple ways to go about tasks.
There were multiple ways to solve problems. One could descend to the dragon's lair on a rope or simply jump down (and absorb some damage).

Codex Year of the Donut
Selection-054.jpg

Codex Year of the Donut
Altered the release date for Galactic Adventures, CRPGAddict claimed 1983 but it was in fact 1982.
galacticadv-disk.jpg

Last edited:
Codex Year of the Donut
ADDED: Demon Venture #1: Reign of the Red Dragon, TRS-80, 1982

This is frequently referred to without the 'Demon Venture #1', but the author himself added it:
https://www.mocagh.org/loadpage.php?getgame=reddragon
Therefore, so did I.

There may exist a sequel somewhere?

Nice cover art:
reddragon.jpg

An example of one of the oldest multiplayer computer RPGs that exists, wonder which ones predate it.

wishbonetail

Learned
I would add Buck Rogers Countdown to Doomsday to SEGA.
Genesis version has isometric exploration
buck-rogers-countdown-to-doomsday_6.png

contrary to DOS' fpp exploration. It may as well be a different game.
start_003.png

Codex Year of the Donut

start_003.png
Didn't include these sorts of things because I'm going to make a thread about platform differences for games one day. Eventually.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy

start_003.png
Didn't include these sorts of things because I'm going to make a thread about platform differences for games one day. Eventually.
Add Eye of the Beholder (GBA) to that list, if you haven't already.

Narushima

Cipher
Altered the release date for Galactic Adventures, CRPGAddict claimed 1983 but it was in fact 1982.
The copyright date is not necessarily the release date, especially if the project was delayed, or released at the very beginning of the following year.

Codex Year of the Donut
The copyright date is not necessarily the release date, especially if the project was delayed, or released at the very beginning of the following year.
Unless someone can find me a copy of SSI's Fall & Winter 1982 catalogs, it's staying as 1982.
Selection-065.jpg

Codex Year of the Donut
ADDED: Apventure to Atlantis (1982), Apple II

Not sure why that was missing. You guys are supposed to be checking the entire list for me :argh: :argh:
:argh::argh::argh::argh::argh:

Nifft Batuff

Prophet
A fresh RPG for the ZX Spectrum: Wycheweald

It's a blobber! With TB combat! Released in 2023!
:shredder:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom