Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The definitive, last Pillars of Eternity rating thread!

How would you rate Pillars of Eternity (with expansions and patches)?

Votes: 17 4.5%

Votes: 40 10.7%

Votes: 88 23.5%

Votes: 40 10.7%

Votes: 33 8.8%

Votes: 42 11.2%

Votes: 8 2.1%

Votes: 11 2.9%

Votes: 4 1.1%

Votes: 3 0.8%

Votes: 20 5.3%
  • J_C is a cuck! (kc)

Votes: 68 18.2%

• Total voters

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Many people claimed that my previous PoE rating thread only showed positive results because I made it during the "honeymoon" period, and people will realise how generic/bad it is later.

So, I think enough time has passed to seal this once and for all. The game is out more than a year, expansions are out, patches are out.

How would you rate PoE if you look at the whole package (with expansions)?

I would gave it a 8,5/10, but since there is no such option, I will be a little more strict and give it an 8. It is a good RPG, some of its parts are very good, but it needs some improvement on the story side and there are some questionable mechanics.

prodigydancer

Arcane
In My Safe Space
9/10.

Too many micro-issues remain. A year+ old game after a dozen of patches could be somewhat less buggy. Otherwise it's fine. Can't wait for PoE2.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Where are the haters? They are always talking about PoE being a failure. Come on guys, here is the time to vote this game down!

Sizzle

Arcane
Where are the haters? They are always talking about PoE being a failure. Come on guys, here is the time to vote this game down!

There are only a couple of true PoE haters (as well as fervent apologists), but they stalk every PoE thread (which, if we're being honest, every Codex thread has the possibility to become one :lol: ).

As far as I can tell, most here simply dislike it for not living up to its Kickstarted promise.

Personally, I think it's a good game (a solid 8), kept from being great by a couple of bad design decisions, but still better than BG (1) in many ways (and worse in some).

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Voted 10 simply to cause butthurt among the haters. Disappointed so far with this thread. #J_Cuck
Yeah, I don't know what's happening. My threads usually tend to deliver, but this seems so calm. I'm starting to lose my touch.

Gremius

Augur
I'll give it 8 (at release it was 6/10 at most), after tons of patches and two really enjoyable expansions. I pretty liked PoE lore and its world. As someone above said- it's a great place for another games. Can't wait for PoE 2.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
9.5, completely new game with patches and expansions. The last major remaining issue keeping it from greatness is act 3. It just lacks content, lacks purpose, and even with year worth of patches it feels rushed and pointless.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I'll give it 8/10. Not bad, but not at the level of Fallout1&2, P:ST or BGI&II.

There are issues here and there, but I enjoyed the game. Thinking of doing a replay later this year.

Morkar Left

Couldn't finished it because it's still getting patched / the final patch is missing. It's getting ridiculous. If I would have to rate it from what I already played (before 2.0+ patch without expansions) it's getting a 6. I guess with patches and expansions it will become a 7.

Somberlain

Arcane
Zionist Agent
Pillars of Eternity is so bland, boring and banal that it's not even worth the effort to hate it.

So, J_C is a cuck.

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
A solid 8 just because there need to be some higher marks for future improvement in PoE2.

Beastro

Arcane
World and lore: 9/10

Wut?

POE combines the most banal parts of fantasy with the more banal parts of history.

The only intriguing part was Eothas where a Christ-like deity wages a holy war for claimed altruistic reasons that turn out to be 100% true in the end and all those who opposed and defeated him fucked themselves over, which was a refreshing twist from the constant safe religious villains being Christianity-like sockpuppets ala the Chantry in Dragon Age.

The only thing that comes close to it, and far surpasses it since it's directly dealt with in-game, not mere backstory, is Risen where the secretive, stiff and asshole Crusader-like holy order are the only ones trying to save the world and the lovable bandits are greedy fucks blinded by their short sighted desire for gold. You get captured by them expecting to be brainwashed like everyone says happens only to given a wake up call about what's really going on.

Beastro

Arcane
World and lore: 9/10

Wut?

POE combines the most banal parts of fantasy with the more banal parts of history.

The only intriguing part was Eothas where a Christ-like deity wages a holy war for claimed altruistic reasons that turn out to be 100% true in the end and all those who opposed and defeated him fucked themselves over, which was a refreshing twist from the constant safe religious villains being Christianity-like sockpuppets ala the Chantry in Dragon Age.

The only thing that comes close to it, and far surpasses it since it's directly dealt with in-game, not mere backstory, is Risen where the secretive, stiff and asshole Crusader-like holy order are the only ones trying to save the world and the lovable bandits are greedy fucks blinded by their short sighted desire for gold. You get captured by them expecting to be brainwashed like everyone says happens only to given a wake up call about what's really going on.

You're whining about religion.

How it's handled in games in a very bland manner, which PoE does save for that one spot.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
in hindsight, 5/10. too stretched out and linear. shallow companions and a "chosen one" story without even being a particularly personal story. very low replayability.
combat in a game like this is almost secondary to me. that's probably why I like BG2 so much which has a much bigger focus on characters. BG2 did have some cool encounters though and I feel like that's missing from PoE as well.
the expansions were shit from what I managed to play before giving up.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom