Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The definitive, last Pillars of Eternity rating thread!

How would you rate Pillars of Eternity (with expansions and patches)?

Votes: 17 4.5%

Votes: 40 10.7%

Votes: 88 23.5%

Votes: 40 10.7%

Votes: 33 8.8%

Votes: 42 11.2%

Votes: 8 2.1%

Votes: 11 2.9%

Votes: 4 1.1%

Votes: 3 0.8%

Votes: 20 5.3%
  • J_C is a cuck! (kc)

Votes: 68 18.2%

• Total voters

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
Well, the 3D part of it runs like crap.

Delterius

Arcane
Didn't we already vote this game properly back in the yearly poll?

That poll existed before 3.0 and the White March part 2.
Doesn't that mean further polls will only figure people -- haters and fanboys -- who bothered sticking around? Saying that "Years after release, Dragon Age: Origins has both fans and detractors on the Codex so check it by yourself" doesn't quite have the same punch as "DA:O is Codex of year 2009 =D".

Last edited:

pippin

I guess I could give it a second chance now that most patches have been released, but I don't have the expansions. Should I bother with them or just go for it as it is?
I played like 40 something hours, and while I never hated the game I always felt like playing ToEE again. When I uninstalled it the expansions weren't out yet, though, and I told myself I'd go back to it eventually.

Sizzle

Arcane
I guess I could give it a second chance now that most patches have been released, but I don't have the expansions. Should I bother with them or just go for it as it is?
I played like 40 something hours, and while I never hated the game I always felt like playing ToEE again. When I uninstalled it the expansions weren't out yet, though, and I told myself I'd go back to it eventually.

There was a pretty big change between the patches - everyone (even the people that hated it) agree that it's (at least a bit) better now.

If you've liked the game at all, I'd suggest playing it with TWM 1&2, it's basically more of the same, but with better encounters and the Watcher powers more integrated into quests.

dukeofwhales

Cipher

If you're going to start a new party though there's no harm in waiting until you're Level 7 to buy the DLC. You get all the new features through patches and the first expansion is tuned for L7 characters - f you're still enjoying it at that point grab the DLC.

I'm a sucker and constantly buy expansions for games and never get to them, it's a bad habit

veskoandroid

Educated
Just finished poe recently, wo twm, got so bored playing it. Never gonna play it again. With all the shiny gfx and scenes, the story is crapily made, a flood of gms and main campaigns schizophrenia of ghosts, souls, godknowswhat. Real shame for the game.

The witcher 1 I'm playing now otoh is so engrossing story wise, yes the combat is crappy but ok, not game breaking, you can just go with it.

Gamedevs nowadays mostly put focus on shiny gfx, like movies on cgis and fx, rarely a good story, i mean a real good story comes up. I grew up on ff7, breath of fire 3, chrono cross, rpg with a pedigree in story department. Only much later i started playing pc rpgs, and the only i remember w good stories are bg series, nox, somewhat iwd2, f1, 2, pst... Haven't played newer stuff so cant comment on it, but poe for all its hype falls not short but in the hole. Cant wait to finish tw1 and gett to 2,3! Now thats what a GOOD game does, makes you wanna play it again and again.

Sent from my Xperia ZR using Tapatalk

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
veskoandroid Where are you up to in TW1?

TW2 is pretty good but not as good as TW1 overall IMO. Some things are better, some things are worse. When you do play I recommend Rise of the Sword mod, makes the combat much better/less annoying. Maybe you need to go through the original TW2 combat in order to understand :lol:

Gay-Lussac

Arcane
After seeing people frothing at the mouth about this game for months and having now finally gotten around to playing it, I'm at a bit of a loss.

It's a fun game. The combat is challenging (playing on Hard), there's a fair amount of variety in character builds and everything seems fairly balanced - and that's good, because it actually gives you options and let's you play the character you want without feeling like you're gimping yourself.

PoE is to Baldur's Gate what Underrail is to Fallout. I've played both of the classics and their modern "successors" pratically back to back and both PoE and Underrail have many features that are straight up upgrades from the games they were inspired by*. Sadly, they also both fall short of surpassing the classics in terms of writing and character/world building (PoE throws a ton of exposition at you, and that can get boring fast).

Still, in the end, PoE and Underrail are both great games on their own terms.

*Of note: Engagement system helping close off retarded kiting possibilities present in the Infnity Engine games, resting system which promotes resource management, fast/slow mode, no retardedly powerful/likely bugged and broken abilities (project image, go fuck yourself), much more meaningfully varied classes, trap detection that procs almost instantly (trust me, this matters), better stealth system. That's just off the top of my head.

Sizzle

Arcane
A pretty good assessment.

I think people here dislike the game mainly for failing to live up to some of its Kickstarted promises (to quote the KS: "... emotional writing and mature thematic exploration of Planescape: Torment"), and, maybe even more importantly (at least to the Codex) - hanging on to every word Sawyer ever said about DnD and how he could (did?) make a better system.

PoE has flaws aplenty, but it definitely improved the IE formula in many ways (more distinct classes probably being my favorite).

veskoandroid

Educated

TW2 is pretty good but not as good as TW1 overall IMO. Some things are better, some things are worse. When you do play I recommend Rise of the Sword mod, makes the combat much better/less annoying. Maybe you need to go through the original TW2 combat in order to understand :lol:
Im at c1 cemetery / swamp cleaning atm. I got many mods, but didnt see that one anywhere. Thx will look tonight. It would be great if combat could be improved in anyway.

Im not touching 2 till I finish 1,i might get bored otherwise. :-P

veskoandroid

Educated
After seeing people frothing at the mouth about this game for months and having now finally gotten around to playing it, I'm at a bit of a loss.

It's a fun game. The combat is challenging (playing on Hard), there's a fair amount of variety in character builds and everything seems fairly balanced - and that's good, because it actually gives you options and let's you play the character you want without feeling like you're gimping yourself.

PoE is to Baldur's Gate what Underrail is to Fallout. I've played both of the classics and their modern "successors" pratically back to back and both PoE and Underrail have many features that are straight up upgrades from the games they were inspired by*. Sadly, they also both fall short of surpassing the classics in terms of writing and character/world building (PoE throws a ton of exposition at you, and that can get boring fast).

Still, in the end, PoE and Underrail are both great games on their own terms.

*Of note: Engagement system helping close off retarded kiting possibilities present in the Infnity Engine games, resting system which promotes resource management, fast/slow mode, no retardedly powerful/likely bugged and broken abilities (project image, go fuck yourself), much more meaningfully varied classes, trap detection that procs almost instantly (trust me, this matters), better stealth system. That's just off the top of my head.
I agree with most of what you said, with disclaimer that i havent played underrail, so cant comment on it. You explained my sentiments coherently. Except for the surpassing part. If poe was even on par with bg in level writing it would be new benchmark. Bg story telling, quests, epicness and char development with all else poe? Wow. O_o sadly failed.

Atchodas

Augur
There are two truths when speaking about PoE ( talking about current version , not an abomination we had on release )

First : PoE is good game , seriously , comparing it to "RPG's" released in last decade , it is very decent game . Even if you compare it to "new crpg era" games its still better than most of those except D:OS(proof that fun > balance) and Underrail ( styg puts big developers to shame really )

2nd : Sometimes you can say "game is good for what it is" well in PoE case thats not true , its actually bad for what it was supposed to be - a spiritual successor to Infinity Engine Classics . It never delivered what was promised on KS , it never will , gaming industry and world itself is too retarded currently for that to happen , we cant expect hardcore IE games when target audience are various kind of casual filth )

Mexi

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
It was a good game. Hopefully, they can improve in the sequel. Story needs to be improved by a lot. World is pretty good to build upon, but damn, that story was rather bad from the start.

BobtheTree

Savant
I gave it a 7. Cool story and world, but uneven character writing. Combat is decent, but the lack of variety with spells really makes it hard to be creative in combat like you could in the old IE games. Also, leveling and gear progression felt really unsatisfying and uninteresting.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
8/10 really fun game with good story and setting thats hurt by its lackluster 3rd act amd soem technical problem. Its not perfect, but i atill and probably will never see where the codex haters comes from

veskoandroid

Educated

Hey sensuki i just finished tw1 and am dling mods for tw2. Now there are full combat rebalance 2, master witcher redux, besides this rise of the sword mod you recommended. Im confused. Can i install just 1 or more? I read that fcr2 messes up combat instead of improving it. And one comment that mwr messes parry.

For rots, fwi read it sounds good to combat gamplay changes, though i also found rots rebalanced with small changes.

Rots feels best choice out of 3, but i need advice which to choose.

There is also enhanced mod compilation which includes many individual mods. Dont know if any of these major mods will conflict with each other?

Too many mods for this game compared to tw1.

Can you help, and anyone else for that matter? I know its not the thread for that but all tw threads i found are not updated/active. Or pm me the answer.

Thanks.

Edit: i also found complete equipment overhaul and better combat, which rebalance the game, again. Another contender.
Edit: correction better combat is the contender here not eq overhaul.

15f813b27e41caa65c1b433d36a54f2d.jpg

Last edited:

MediantSamuel

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
3/10.

Donated around 130 TrumpBucks when the game was in Kickstarter.

I was initially optimistic and hopeful but lost interest around 30 to 60 minutes in. Ended up completing the game some weeks later and attempted to play The White March part 1 (so in essence way too much time on a game I didn't even really like) but I just can't. It's so dull and uninteresting.

Best bits are Raedric's Hold, Eder and Sagani.

Dedicated_Dark

Arbiter
Still haven't played the goddamn game. Just say it outright already, does it suck or is it good. If its better or atleast as good as Neverwinter Nights OC I am fine with it.
Also, expansions worth it?

I am so conflicted, even the poll looks conflicted. I suddenly feel like I should go play KOTOR2 again now.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom