Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The design of Braid - a talk

Lumpy

Arcane
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gwsi7TEQxKc

It's always cool to hear how much thought goes into the subconscious effect games are supposed to have upon the players.
Also, I agree with his philosophy of simplifying a game as much as possible, leaving in only the stuff that's interesting and challenging. RPG designers are usually the worst offenders - in fact, Vince is probably the first one who's promised to put in only difficult combat.

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
LOOLOOLOL FAG CONSOLEFAG FAG FAGGOT

BRO I SAW THE GAME ON YOUTUBE ONCE ONLY TRETARDS WOULD PLAY IT

LOLLOLOLOLOL

Destroid

Arcane
Watched about half, made me want to play the game, I'll watch the other half after I have I guess.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Might want to include a small warning to people that the Youtube vid is almost 90 minutes long.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
watched pretty much all of it. pretty nice video even though I didn't spend a lot of time with Braid.

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
WOW BROS ARE YOU HUNGRY FOR MORE CONSOLETARD COCK I WILL FIND SOMEONE TO SERVE SOME UP

SLUREP SLURP SLURP LOLLOLLOLLOLOL

BROS YOU KNOW THIS IS FAGBOX CONSOLETARD SHIT RIGHT LOLLOLOLLOL YOU ARENT ALOWWED TO LIKE IT HERE LOLLOLLOLOL

Destroid

Arcane
He shows the prototype first and talks about his ideas, then he plays through the entire game and talks about what he was aiming to do with each puzzle, what he thought worked well and what he thought didn't work well. He talks a little bit about the production process, but mainly about the game design, it's very interesting.

asper

Arcane
Project: Eternity
Braid is symptomatic for everything that is wrong with indiegames: one little idea extrapolated into a pretentious wankfest...

Lumpy

Arcane
asper said:
Braid is symptomatic for everything that is wrong with indiegames: one little idea extrapolated into a pretentious wankfest...
Sigh... How is it a symptomatic wankfest, and why a 'little idea'? All of the puzzles and mechanics felt fresh, it wasn't a single idea stretched out as much as possible.

It also brings to light something that was wrong with Portal. Each world begins with a puzzle where the player has to discover the basic mechanic, but its uses are found along the way. By contrast, Portal had the first half of the game be a tutorial that thoroughly explained every way portals can be used, so the player had no sense of discovery when applying those same methods throughout the game.

I.C. Wiener

Educated
Braid was extremely pretentious on the storyline/writing front, but as a game it seemed like he had his head in the right place, as opposed to the countless other flash-based mario clones on kongregate where it turns out that you died in a car crash but you can't undo it because this game is a powerful treatise on fatalism and mmm my own dick tastes good nom nom. I didn't care for it too much personally because it wasn't my cup of tea but I cannot accuse it of being a bad game.
Spellcaster said:
Maybe he should stick with the theories and lectures only.
There are enough armchair game designers on the internet. If he's any good he can prove his game design theories by making something worth playing.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
blobert you're like the only one playing xbox

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom