Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The DioField Chronicle - new real-time strategy RPG from Square Enix

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://diofieldchronicle.square-enix-games.com

The DioField Chronicle is coming to PlayStation®5/PlayStation®4 console, Xbox Series X|S, Xbox One, Nintendo Switch and PC/Steam in 2022!

Introducing The DioField Chronicle, a brand-new strategy RPG from Square Enix!

Welcome to the world of DioField, a new strategy RPG that will take you on a journey of honour and political intrigue. In this fresh and gritty story, you will discover a unique blend of fantasy, medieval and modern-day influences, and an innovative combat system: Real-Time Tactical Battle. Surrounded by richly detailed environments in diorama-style visuals, you must think quickly and act strategically to lead your team to victory.

Don’t miss out on some of the music composed by Ramin Djawadi and Brandon Campbell on the website below!

More information on the official website: https://www.diofieldchronicle.com/

Last edited:

Brickfrog

Learned
Not too much gameplay in the trailer but it looks like some sort of realtime w/ pause RTS/MOBA combat and multiple unit selection?

Weird as hell to see Enix dip a tow into the RTS genre. GL playing this on a gamepad.

I mean, I usually like isometric games with RTWP gameplay so I'll probably give it a shot.

Not expecting much out of this tho, Enix has been pumping out a lot of weird mediocre ancillary shit lately and I'm not expecting this title to rise above.

Angelo85

Arcane
Patron
What's up with the proportions? Usually they are used when a single unit represents a unit group but it appears they are meant to represent individuals. /e: looking at the trailer closer actually it might be that it's actually unit groups represented by a single (leader?) figure.

ss_d6ad6e5dfb2fcb24135b4da2f7030ea7491476be.1920x1080.jpg

ss_d4816fbf7e1de61310eb20c7bd4027bae46a9456.1920x1080.jpg

Ogre Battle was named after Queen songs. This game is just named after Dio.

What's up with the proportions? Usually they are used when a single unit represents a unit group but it appears they are meant to represent individuals. /e: looking at the trailer closer actually it might be that it's actually unit groups represented by a single (leader?) figure.

ss_d6ad6e5dfb2fcb24135b4da2f7030ea7491476be.1920x1080.jpg

ss_d4816fbf7e1de61310eb20c7bd4027bae46a9456.1920x1080.jpg

It looks like a group of units represented by a single character. At least one of the attacks shows a group of like five soldiers attacking, and then when it zooms back out to the board there's just the hero unit or whatever next to the enemy.

The way you're in a kind of diorama view, and then it zooms in to what's meant to be the actual ground level makes me think of Front Mission somewhat, and that is just single units, but this does seem like each character has an army with them.

Combat in this kind of makes me think of a bigger 13 Sentinels, at least the tiny bit shown seems like it might functionally be pretty similar to how you attack in that game. Like 13 Sentinels if 13 Sentinels wasn't a tower defense game.

Ontopoly

Disco Hitler
Looks interesting to me, but it will need interesting abilities and combat encounters to carry it. That and the full price tag will make me wait. If this was a western game it would be indie and 40 dollars.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

The DioField Chronicle™, an all-new strategy RPG that immerses players in an epic tale of war and honor with intense real-time tactical battles, is coming to the PlayStation®5 (PS5™) console, the PlayStation®4 console, Xbox Series X|S, Xbox One, the Nintendo Switch™ system and PC via Steam® on September 22.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
There are previews out there. A demo gets released, tomorrow. It's the first chapter, which is between 2-3 hours, and your progress is saved for the full game.

I thought it was more of an RTS, but it seems more like a mission based tactical rpg, with rtwp combat. Most missions I saw had the "kill all enemies" as a main objective, with a few sub objectives. You can replay missions for better rewards, and there is also an option to change difficulty.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1399080/view/3401926123914238009
Try out the free The DioField Chronicle DEMO!
In this demo you can play from the game's opening through to the end of chapter 1.

Presenting a free demo of The DioField Chronicle, that allows you to carry over your progress to the full game.
In this demo you can play from the game's opening through to the end of chapter 1.

*This demo consists of a section taken from the full game.
*It is possible to carry over save data from the demo to the full game
*It is possible to carry over game progress and character levels to the full game.
*Content may vary from the full game.

■A new Strategy RPG, brought to you by Square Enix
An all-new Strategy RPG that chronicles an epic tale of war and honour. Featuring a unique and beautiful world that blends fantasy, medieval and modern-day influences, and a deep yet innovative real-time battle system.

■Deep, strategic, real-time tactical battles
The battles in this game are defined by real-time assessment of battlefield conditions and issuing decisive orders that take advantage of your troops strengths and weaknesses to gain advantage over your foe. Make clever use of a variety of skills, classes and equipment to complete your mission.

■Realistic diorama style battle scenes
Richly detailed depictions of the environments of the island of DioField combined with unique diorama style visuals as you command your forces like a general.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I played the demo. It's a Growlanser wannabe, but it's not on the same level. The demo was "okay", but too easy. I completed all objectives in all the missions. Controls are fine, but there is a glaring issue. You can issue orders for one unit at a time. The game pauses when you issue an order, but you can not do it for all characters in one pause action. Abilities have a big impact on combat. Your abilities activate quicker than the enemy's. You're given time to move out of the way, or delay, cansel enemy abilities with the right moves.

Story is meh, situations or scenes that should be emotional, aren't even acknowledged. Voice acting works, but there is mindfuckery going on. Characters say a line, but the text shows something entirely different. It leads to the player listening to the line and THEN reading dialog.

There's a home base where you can upgrade skills, equipment, etc.

You have an active squad of four playable characters. You can bind a support unit to each active character. Support units only gain half exp.

You can redo previous missions to get a better score, and get all the rewards, or for grinding.

The premise of the story might be interedting, but it felt half assed from what I played.

In short: Babbys first mission-based rtwp rpg, that could be a game to waste time on... for $20. At $60, it is priced way too high.

Jinn

Arcane
Agreed about pretty much everything above. The game had promise - and even a nice framework to be something genuinely good. But between how absurdly easy it is on the hardest difficulty, the overly simplified character progression, the muted and missed opportunity with characterization, and the lack of creativity in map design, the game falls way short of it's potential. A half-grown, insect blighted garden in late autumn.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
This sucks, I was hoping this would be cool. I got concerned once I saw that it was some sort of bastardized RTWP thing though.

I might still check out the demo, but I won't worry about rushing to it.

lightbane

Arcane
Voice acting works, but there is mindfuckery going on. Characters say a line, but the text shows something entirely different. It leads to the player listening to the line and THEN reading dialog.
Is that because someone rewrote the script due censorship, poor edition, or something from the plot?

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Voice acting works, but there is mindfuckery going on. Characters say a line, but the text shows something entirely different. It leads to the player listening to the line and THEN reading dialog.
Is that because someone rewrote the script due censorship, poor edition, or something from the plot?
Nope. You know how sometimes in a JRPG, a character says a word or two, but there is much more text? Or sometimes a character says something like "I'm listening", but they have something else in the dialog box? This is how it is, but their spoken line is just a bit too long to get annoying or jarring.

It's a design decision that went a bit too far.

cyborgboy95

News Cyborg
Yeah, this explains why the current game feels only halfway through indeed

The DioField Chronicle free update launches in March 2023 – adds new scenario, weapon, skills, mode, and difficulty​

The untold story of Waltaquin Redditch.

DioField-Update_11-18-22-1-320x180.jpg

Publisher Square Enix and developer Lancarse will release a free update for The DioField Chronicle in March 2023, the companies announced. It will add a new scenario, weapon, skills, mode, and a difficulty level.
Get the details below.
  • New Scenario – A new scenario not told in the main story starring Waltaquin Redditch. In this scenario, playable after clearing Chapter 5, you will make your way through missions while controlling Waltaquin. “Behemoth” will appear as the final boss.
  • New Weapon “Grimoire” – In the newly added scenario, you will be able to equip Waltaquin’s dedicated weapon “Grimoire,” which can use skills to summon units and morph into other forms.
  • New Skills – The new skill “Necromancy” can be used to summon a Skull Knight. The new skill “Necrotame” can be used to transform your units into a Skull Dragon to unleash powerful skills.
  • High-Difficulty “Extra Mode” – A mode in which high-level enemies appear from Chapter 1. This will be added as a function of “New Game+,” which allows you to carry over your levels, weapons, and skill trees after clearing the main story.
  • New Difficulty Level “Very Hard” – The “Very Hard” difficulty level offers more challenging battles with less fragment drops, reduced enemy skill use frequency and cooldowns, limited revival time and HP recovery, and so on.
The DioField Chronicle is available now for PlayStation 5, Xbox Series, PlayStation 4, Xbox One, Switch, and PC via Steam.
Watch a new trailer below

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom