Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Dragon Quest Thread

Nirvash

Liturgist
ok... someone explain

5N4sNPr.jpg
This has to been the most "out of place" joke i have ever seen in a rpg dungeon.

deuxhero

Arcane
Puff-Puff is a running gag in the franchise (though older English versions either removed it or did inconsistent things to it). It seems to be some kind of sex act, but characters almost never get that.

Nirvash

Liturgist
Puff-Puff is a running gag in the franchise (though older English versions either removed it or did inconsistent things to it). It seems to be some kind of sex act, but characters almost never get that.

I know that, that's not the point.

A damn ancient dungeon in the fucking sky, full of dangerous murdermonsters, how is the girl there, wtf.

Nirvash

Liturgist
i0pkRh4.jpg

Oh well, done.

Final boss 1 kicked my ass 10 times, hardest fight by far, but second form was a joke.

Lol what, game is going on? Holy damn i'm like at 80h already

qFTE2RN.jpg

uuuuuuoooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Last edited:

Nirvash

Liturgist
aaaaaaaaaaaand she did it, got the trunksluminarydick.

iiohk50.jpg

yJ760Cy.gif

My god, the act 3 difficulty spike really kicked my ass.
Well, all the quest nearly done, gonna finish the temple last trial and then final boss.

I'm... mixed about act 3, alot of reused/low effort stuff (special dungeon is a joke) and some story inconsistencies.

Nirvash

Liturgist
aaaaaand done, lol at the dumbass chrono trigger final boss again.

qVSiEK7.jpg

I liked it, not perfect but those 115h are maybe my longest single run for a story jrpg, man that's 2 times yakuza 5.

Ok ending, classic 16/32bit jrpg stuff.
Best girl? Veronica.

I never played 8, how good it is?

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
What about dragon quest 8 ? Which version to go ps2 or 3ds? Is that same as dq7 which is piss easy on 3ds? Arent there any diffculty mods to bring back original diffuclty if they are dumbed down on 3ds?

3DS version of DQ8 isn't majorly different from the PS2 version, at least not in the MASSIVE way the DQ7 remake is different from the PS1 original.

AFAIK the only major difference in DQ8-3DS is that monsters are now visible on the world map, a la newer DQs, and there's a new party member. And, of course, downgraded graphics.

Unwanted
Dumbfuck
The true nigga version of dragon quest XI is the 3ds one, pure fucking soul. Will post some pics that i took on my 3ds when i can.

Palomides

Augur
I've started playing DQ11 purely in its 2D form. It's such a breath of fresh air, especially with the Draconian rules, like an amazing and classic RPG that's been sorely lacking for decades. The cringe inducing dialogue and characters are tolerable or come across better in 2D, of course, and it's much snappier. It would be great if more games had this sort of 'classic' option but I know I'm dreaming...

Derringer

Prophet
The graphics for the 3DS version of 8 look pretty typical for a mobile port, I imagine they just ported the cell phone version and just polished it a little bit.

Unwanted
Dumbfuck
The graphics for the 3DS version of 8 look pretty typical for a mobile port, I imagine they just ported the cell phone version and just polished it a little bit.
I heard it runs like shit on the old 3DS model so i haven't tried it, having said that i think i will play the normal ps2 version even if it has less content, might emulate the 3ds version some day.

I'm planing of going through every single dragon quest game in it's native language and tell my impressions like that guy that did that for FF games.

Thinking of doing it like this, i would like to know if people here know problems with this versions.
Dragon Quest 1-3 will play it on the Switch, they got a port there.
Dragon quest 4-6 DS, as far as i know it's the definitive version
Dragon Quest VII, i'm conflicted, some people praise the changes in the 3ds version and others say they cut out too much content, the PS1 version is probably the longest game on the system.
Dragon Quest VIII, probalby on PS2.
Dragon Quest IX, DS.
Dragon Quest X is said to get a port soon with an offline version, will play it on Switch.
Dragon Quest XI, the original version is the 3DS one but might do a PC review.

Dragon Quest III is getting a 2.5 HD remake soon, might make a review after i finish the whole series. It might take me a year or more doing this, maybe XII will be out by then too.
QkBm1KQ.jpg

Last edited:

Palomides

Augur
Dragon Quest 4 on the DS has the party banter totally removed. I think it was restored in the mobile version. It's possible a 'hack' exists that puts it in the DS version, or that could simply be wishful thinking.

Edit: Sorry, I missed that you were doing it in its native language. In Japanese nothing has been cut, as far as I know.

Casual Hero

Augur
Nah, the 3DS version came first. And for the record, the 3DS port runs very well.

Hyperion

Arcane
DQ8 was subject to censorship on the 3DS and (presumably) phone versions. Play the ps2 version. It was one of the harder games to get running on pcsx2, but it's fine nowadays.

Duraframe300

Arcane
Dragon Quest 4 on the DS has the party banter totally removed. I think it was restored in the mobile version. It's possible a 'hack' exists that puts it in the DS version, or that could simply be wishful thinking.

Edit: Sorry, I missed that you were doing it in its native language. In Japanese nothing has been cut, as far as I know.

Yes, a hack exists. Or to be more precise a translation exists for the japanese version. (Uses DS Script + Mobile Version Script for Party Banter)

https://github.com/concreted/dqiv-nds-en-script-patcher

It's not perfect though. A hack of the US version would be better, but I dunno if someone's doing it.

Unwanted
Dumbfuck

Yes, a hack exists. Or to be more precise a translation exists for the japanese version. (Uses DS Script + Mobile Version Script for Party Banter)

https://github.com/concreted/dqiv-nds-en-script-patcher

It's not perfect though. A hack of the US version would be better, but I dunno if someone's doing it.
You can probably understand the text of a dragon quest game after a month of learning jap, it's a game for kids. Wish they would translate more complex stuff.

deuxhero

Arcane
Just beat the Monsters II remake. It's a 4/5 game held back from perfection by super opaque mechanics (I'm still trying to figure out how skills combine), load-times, and UI issues that would have been easy to fix. In-fact, I think a consoles+PC port (since the Android/iOS ports mean it's not locked into any deal) could easily fix these issues. Would need better in-line explanations (mouse, second analog and r2/l2 mean there's plenty of room), and some icons so you can easily tell what skills and skillsets are connected.

I over estimated the final boss. After getting my ass kicked once (only time I had to reset outside of optional fights you can do way too early) because I didn't pack enough anti-confuse items, I over prepared by using the once every 6 hours key to an area full of liquid metal slimes a few times. Turns out he has absolutely no counter to a (liquid) metal slime with the Guard skill that makes all attacks hit them.

Edit: Was exploring one of the post-game dungeons (pyramid) and accidentally wandered into its boss. Despite being weakened and low on resources, the same liquid metal slime led to this boss being a pushover too.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom