Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Dragon Quest Thread

Casual Hero

Augur
Nah, the 3DS version came first. And for the record, the 3DS port runs very well.
I can't tell if you're shitposting or not if you can't do basic research on a shitty port.
No, I'm being serious. I'm not an expert; I can just say that I played the 3DS version on my 3DS and thought it was fine. I can't tell you specific differences, but I know I had a good time playing the game.
And no, I haven't done basic research, so maybe you know more about it than I do.

I feel like I need to reiterate; I'm not a technical expert, so I can't tell you what runs well and what doesn't. Still, I wouldn't tell anyone to avoid the 3DS version. Then again, I'm not as cynical as your average Joe here. I meant no harm by my post, and I'm speaking purely from my limited experience. I'm sorry if I offended you in any way.

Mauman

Learned
I've heard of people having problems with the mobile port of 4, but I've never had a problem with it personally.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Any news about DQ events this year? Need more info on the 3 remake and 12...
No official info as of yet.

My unfounded hope is that we'll see something during their summer event. Not that they have announced such an event, but they did have one the previous two or three years.

Unwanted
Dumbfuck
I think DQ XI was a love letter for the fans because they knew they would have to change the formula, they will probably copy the combat of FF VII Remake and westernize the shit out of the franchise.

Franchise will become for "Mature gamers ™"

Mauman

Learned
I think DQ XI was a love letter for the fans because they knew they would have to change the formula, they will probably copy the combat of FF VII Remake and westernize the shit out of the franchise.

Oh, I would LOVE to see that....

I'd watch the riots while eating popcorn.

Of course, if SE does do that they can go fuck themselves with a rusty railroad spike far as I'm concerned.

flyingjohn

Arcane

No.
The Enix parts of square is dominant and the dragon quest devs can do whatever they want.These are the same devs that released a mmo instead of a easy slam dunk normal entry.If anything changes it is because the devs wanted to change it.
Dq 11 seems like a love letter because it is a home console game release after several years of portable/side stuff.What you are seeing is typical Dq game play,there is no "ode to the fans" whatsoever.

Casual Hero

Augur
DQ is still owned by Armor Project, which is run by Yuji Horii. He is making all of the deliberate decisions, and I trust that he will make a fun game. Simple as that, as far as I'm concerned.
Sure, another turn-based game would be cool, but you need to let Horii do what he wants. He's been working on these games for almost 40 years now. Please don't bully the man for wanting to try something new.

Casual Hero

Augur
And if you're upset about the mentions of "dark" themes for the new game, then you may not be very informed about Horii's past projects and certain elements he's wanted to include in the games since the second entry.
The original ending to DQ 2 had a "dark" ending where the main character got killed off, but he removed it because he was worried it would be too shocking. Still, he has stated in multiple interviews that he has always wanted to revisit darker themes in his games.

This isn't about DQ succumbing to "western grimdark"; this is something that Horii wants to explore on his own. I support him fully!

Unwanted
Dumbfuck
Okay, just finished Dragon Quest 1, the switch port. They really fucked up this port, which is from the mobile version. They mixed different kind of sprites so it looks awfull when you play on a tv but tolerable while playing mobile.

Obviusly the first Dragon Quest is as classic as it gets in it's gameplay loop which is reach town---->grind enemies around the town so you can buy the equipment from said new town--->move to next town. All this while collecting the items to be able to basically build a tiny bridge to the island of the demon lord, you also rescue a princess in the way there.
RQI8SRB.jpg
Finished the game both in jap and english and only noticed few inconsistencies with the translation and was also surprised they let pafupafu in.
What a cheap whore.
c5ilHRi.jpg
Game took me about 10 hours to fiish, half of them was probably grinding which didn't really bothered me because i was prepared for it, i always say that JRPGs don't requiere grinding and can be finished by understanding the combat and grinding is a clutch by this is one of those games that are the exception, YOU MUST GRIND.

Going back to the castle to meet the king after defeating the final boss was really cool, all mosters are gone and the swamps and full of blooming flowers now.
xrQ0nmW.jpg

Overall i think it's a good experience, it's worth going through if you want to experience such an important piece of gaming history, i just wished that Square-Enix would have given the port the treatment it deserves.

hUP7xlo.jpg

Viata

Arcane
If you are not going to play the original, the snes remake is the best one. No reason to play any other version.

Game took me about 10 hours to fiish, half of them was probably grinding which didn't really bothered me because i was prepared for it, i always say that JRPGs don't requiere grinding and can be finished by understanding the combat and grinding is a clutch by this is one of those games that are the exception, YOU MUST GRIND.
Yes, the reason is that Yuji Horii didn't want people to finish the game too fast. So you are forced to grind just for the game to take more time to finish.

deuxhero

Arcane
Okay, just finished Dragon Quest 1, the switch port. They really fucked up this port, which is from the mobile version. They mixed different kind of sprites so it looks awfull when you play on a tv but tolerable while playing mobile.

I played the SFC port. Better graphics, though movement felt a bit disjointed. Didn't take nearly as long real time thanks to fast forward (and likely running faster than the mobile port in the first place). Inventory management is the worst part, and it would be even worse in the original where you don't have the bank to drop off key items you don't have a use for yet (making it even more linear in practice). It's worth playing a version you can fast forward to know what the genre started as, but otherwise not of interest. 3 SFC still holds up great though.

Cromwell

Arcane
Im playing 11 again. I started months ago with draconian monsters and am now at the end of chapter 2 in the flying fortress. Is there a Site were I can see what the exact difference is between Monsters on normal and Draconian? All I find is whining about the difficulty and sites upon sites that tell me monsters are harder but no actual guide on the exact differences.

I still love it and have forgotten why I had stopped, maybe time or something. Has anyone beat the whole game, including chapter 3 with draconian monsters? I read that its maybe better to deactivate it because it becomes an absolute chore but that could be just whining again. Up to now I Autofight everything except bosses and have no problem, I also had no real problems with bosses until now except that I had to adjust gear sometimes and some fights where hard but not rage inducing (from my perspective). Does the third chapter get that much harder?

Unwanted
Dumbfuck
MmcmsDa.jpg

Started Dragon Quest 2 last saturday, only got a couple of hours in. As everyone knows this time you get other party members besides the protag, the bad thing? They start at level 1 while you are like 7 or 8. Very comfy game and not as hard as people make it to be but it's too early to say for sure, i'm about to leave the first continent.

deuxhero

Arcane
Very comfy game and not as hard as people make it to be but it's too early to say for sure, i'm about to leave the first continent.

What version are you playing? DQ2 varies massively in re-releases. Even the original NES re-release had major balance changes compared to the original FC release.

Unwanted
Dumbfuck
Jesus Christ, the second half of Dragon Quest II is fucking bullshit, the sunken treasure probably takes the cake of the most bullshit cryptic shit in JRPG history.
I'm fucking mad.
:outrage:

Jinn

Arcane
It'd be pretty fucking cool if they put it on PC already, considering the sequel has been for like 3 years.

Currently contemplating whether to play through Dragon Quest I, II, and III or replay Dragon Quest XI and actually finish the epilogue.

Been on a huge JRPG binge as of late and I really liked what I played of Dragon Quest XI.

Who knows. I got an entire summer of 40-60 hour work weeks to figure it out lol.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
DQ is still owned by Armor Project, which is run by Yuji Horii. He is making all of the deliberate decisions, and I trust that he will make a fun game. Simple as that, as far as I'm concerned.
Sure, another turn-based game would be cool, but you need to let Horii do what he wants. He's been working on these games for almost 40 years now. Please don't bully the man for wanting to try something new.

I have faith in the DQ team, they know their work is more than just a 'game', it's a cultural product. They're not going to half-ass it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom