Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Dungeon of Naheulbeuk - parodic fantasy tactical RPG - now with Back to the Futon DLC

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://amuletofchaos.com

https://af.gog.com/game/the_dungeon_of_naheulbeuk_the_amulet_of_chaos?as=1649904300
https://af.gog.com/game/the_dungeon_of_naheulbeuk_the_amulet_of_chaos_season_pass?as=1649904300

I have no idea what the fuck this is, other than this being an rpg with turn-based comat.

French studios Microïds and Artefacts Studio have announced that they are creating a new game based on the French audio series Le Donjon de Naheulbeuk(The Dungeon of Naheulbeuk). The series is written by John Lang, under the alias Pen of Chaos, and follows the humorous adventure of stereotypical RPG archetypes in a medieval fantasy world.

The Dungeon of Naheulbeuk will be coming to PC, Mac, PlayStation 4, and Xbox One. Few details are known about the game at this time, however, it has been said that the game will feature tactical turn-based battles and that it will be available in French, English, German, Italian, and Spanish. More information is expected to be revealed when the game appears at Gamescom in August.

Last edited by a moderator:

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
:necro:

Looks like they're finally going to reveal what's this game is about! Reveal at July 25th, 7PM CEST:

Are you ready to dive into a tactical RPG chock-full of charm, humor and crazy characters?!

They are clumsy, inexperienced and feisty but...they’ll have to endure each other’s company to get the dungeon’s treasure.

However, a feeling of déjà-vu quickly arises...

Guide this team of unlikely heroes in an adventure full of humor and chaos!

The Naheulbeuk universe is an original creation by French author John Lang. It started as a very popular audio comedy series parodying role-playing games and heroic fantasy tropes. Now the story is available in English and as a video game for the first time!

Game features
A...LESS THAN IDEAL...TEAM OF HEROES:
  • Play with seven classic role-playing game characters complementing each other’s skills as you level them up: the Ranger, the Elf, the Dwarf, the Magician, the Ogre and the Thief!

• Every member of the team has their own skill tree to upgrade their abilities and equipment.

• Choose one of three additional companions to join the team on their adventure!

EPIC BATTLES:
  • Exciting turn-based battles, with creative support mechanics between team members.

• An adaptive difficulty system: from an accessible and fun story mode with simplified combat to the “nightmare mode” where the smallest tactical errors will doom you!

• An expansive bestiary (more than 100 enemies!) pushing you to think more tactically with every fight.

• Epic boss battles where you’ll have to muster both strength and smarts to emerge victorious!

• Hidden and destructive objects (including beer kegs) with surprising status effects will turn the tide of battle for the better...or worse!

A DREADFUL DUNGEON:
  • Explore a huge and surprising dungeon from the cave up to the luxury quarters of the evil lord Zangdar, passing through the goblin iceskating park and even an extremely lively tavern!

• Escape traps and solve deadly puzzles to unlock the most impressive treasures!

• Bizarre conversations, absurd situations and unusual encounters await!

• Experience an exciting main storyline and many side quests for your heroes

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Yeah, I added that to the upcoming rpgs list earlier today. 4 years ago this thread was made. Damn.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014

https://steamcommunity.com/games/970830/announcements/detail/1717498056853571583

The Amulet of Chaos is coming this summer starring Felicia Day & a new trailer!

30d18b2049b2a818a9b1a08b25a8e5af6c888527.jpg

Hello fellow adventurers!

The Dungeon of Naheulbeuk: The Amulet of Chaos is a tactical RPG coming to Steam this Summer! Parodying tabletop RPGs and filled with humor, get ready to step into a wacky heroic fantasy universe & lead a team of unlikely and clumsy heroes in an epic and challenging tactical RPG.

We’re glad to announce that, for the first time, The Amulet of Chaos will be shown in the United States at PAX East 2020! We’ll have much more to say about the game in the coming months. For now, let’s take a second to introduce the game.

The Naheulbeuk universe is an original creation by author John Lang. It started as a very popular audio comedy series parodying role-playing games and heroic fantasy tropes. Now the story is available as a video game for the first time!

You’ll get to know our clumsy group of adventurers during their adventure. They’ll have to endure each other’s company to get the dungeon’s treasure!

We’re also super excited to announce that Felicia Day (The Guild, Geek & Sundry, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Supernatural) will dub the character of the Magician in the game, a nerdy and resourceful spellcaster!

417ed3ad907dd694ed2119801908a6d3b12f1663.jpg

Felicia will also be part of a voice acting in video games panel at PAX East discussing her involvement with the game, among other guests including Micah Solusod (Daryon in Edge Of Eternity, our publisher’s lovely indie JRPG) and hosted by Morgan Webb. The panel will be streamed on Twitch on February 27, 2:30PM EST https://www.twitch.tv/pax3

See you at PAX East (booth #11074) from February 27 to March 1 to get your hands on the game. Come join us there, we’ll have goodies!

Don’t miss news about the game by following Dear Villagers on social media:
https://twitter.com/DearVillagers
https://www.facebook.com/DearVillagers/

Thunar

Educated
Huge amounts of nostalgia. Kind of weird seeing this mentioned here, even weirder that they're making a game, I used to listen to their audio series a lot.
Hopefully it'll at least be funny if it ain't good :D

Darth Canoli

Arcane
Well, Naheulbeuk was first funny (early first season) but they never had enough inspiration or talent to make it last.
After Naheulbeuk radio show, the creator was hired by a radio to make some funny voices (he doesn't have to work at all, his voice is naturally "funny" ) and telephone pranks, i think he did some commercials too.

From that, i'm not really optimistic but it'd be nice if by a miracle they could do something of the same quality than Grotesque Tactics 1/2.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Infinitron via the Steam Game Festival. There are demos for 40 games. I found the demo while browsing the list.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
I think games in those lower sections have no demos. (They don't say "demo" in section titles.) They are probably there because they were supposed to be showed in the physical convention, but for some reason did not provide the demo here.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
My bad, then. I thought they all had demos. Saw the page on my phone.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2020-03-28-dungeons-of-naheulbeuk-is-an-adorable-xcom-alike

Dungeons of Naheulbeuk is an adorable XCOM-alike
But are there dragons?

We're taking Rezzed online over the next few days, presenting sessions and bringing you highlights of what's new and interesting in the world of independent games. You can find more details on exactly what's going on over here, and we'll be bringing you more write-ups over the coming days.

An XCOM-style strategy game in a high fantasy setting is an idea that makes so much sense you've got to wonder why no one's come up with it before. Nothing says this kind of game has to be set in space, and Dungeons and Dragons, the tabletop game that started the collective obsession with strategic high fantasy RPGs, is a turn-based game that shares a lot of the same principles.

jpg

Look at them! What's not to like.

XCOM and DnD are inextricably linked, but it took me Dungeons of Naheulbeuk: The Amulet of Chaos to actually realise that. I know - the name doesn't do it any favours. But it speaks to the game's slightly goofy charm, however unintentional - eager, sometimes a bit too much. This isn't a dark, epic kind of fantasy, it's the one where the demo starts with your party instantly cracking terrible jokes. All your DnD races and classes are there, and the sprites are very, very cute. The green troll looks a little bedraggled and has a snaggle-tooth poking out from under his lip. The dwarf has eyebrows so bushy they seem to cover his eyes.

The setting for my first encounter is classic DnD fare, too - I take on a group of goblins in a tavern. Your party has seven members, which honestly would be quite a challenge for any good dungeon master to handle, and I too, need a moment to familiarise myself with all the different skills. Each character carries a health item, a ranged weapon and a meleé weapon. There's also a defence-raising skill, an overwatch option and four special abilities per class. These abilities, too, will be very familiar to DnD players or fans of most RPGs with the same origin: the rogue can throw caltrops or stab an enemy in the heels with his daggers, causing them to bleed each time they move, the mage's spells cause additional elemental damage.

jpg

As you can see with the enemy queue, this game is taking no prisoners.

The precious moments I take to get into the game nearly spell my doom, because Dungeons of Naheulbeuk is nothing if not challenging. It's not the large number of enemies - that's normal for a game like this. It's more that the setting has everyone at close quarters. I can't tactically flank an enemy who has enough movement to instantly round the table I'm crouching behind. If everyone is already standing heel to heel to each other, getting attacks in can seem impossible. In a game where everyone has a melee weapon, taking cover only works until the enemy reaches me, and they tend to go for me with no regard for their own safety. I'm also not entirely sure about the maths model at this stage, as I miss an awful lot for having a clear hit chance.

But I'm a simple woman - I'm very excited about the chance of playing an XCOM-style game with an actual story, and everything just looks so nice I want to see where the journey takes my party next.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
French gameplay videos from April:

https://store.steampowered.com/newshub/app/970830/view/2217404588430432319

Looking back on PAX East 2020

Hello, Adventurers!

Since it seems like we won’t have the chance to see you anytime soon in big events, we thought now would be a good time to take a look at our memories from PAX East 2020!

We used the event as an opportunity to introduce the Dungeon of Naheulbeuk: The Amulet of Chaos to the american public. We were very proud to show you our upcoming tactical, whacky roleplaying game, and it appeared that you liked it as much as we do!
PAX East was especially good for The Amulet of Chaos, as we had the chance to announce the stellar actress Felicia Day (Supernatural, The Guild) as the voice of one of the game’s protagonists, the Magician.

3c71cb7119d67f090bf23d0176b215f3bcb4d928.jpg
80fe173c6e0c5b8972262d7739440a1db2460829.jpg
fdf88f631b3a1b998eb28e48c14ff997c0931797.jpg

Aside from our games, we also organized a panel on voice acting and video games on Thursday. We assembled an amazing team of guests for that: Micah Solusod (Soul from Soul Eater, Daryon from Edge Of Eternity), Felicia Day (The Magician from The Dungeon of Naheulbeuk: The Amulet of Chaos), Andrea Rene and Morgan Webb joined us to talk about their experience with voice acting in the video game industry.

It was super exciting to see the Dragonfly Theatre get full so quickly! The livestream on Twitch was pretty busy as well. We are very happy with the results of our panel!

Once the panel behind us, we introduce our games to many press sites & always had the full booth during the 4 days of the event. We got great feedbacks from players there & the PAX East public was very kind & interested. Thanks a bunch if some of them are reading this!

We were very happy to be at PAX 2020 this year, and we hope that soon, we’ll have new amazing events to tell you about!

AliceAlcina

Learned
As expected, the dialogs are retarded.

We're talking about French game. Epitome of trying too hard humor. Only thing worse than their bad humor is when they want to be creative and exalted and try to create work of art so pretentious it's lifeless barebone wasteland. Expect humor in almost every work of their, and if it's missing, pretentiousness is sure to reek from stuff if it's French at all.
We're talking about art/novels/art in general.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
We're talking about French game. Epitome of trying too hard humor.

The lack of culture reeks of your message, Naheulbeuk has nothing to do with french humor, just the opposite, there's a strong Leslie Nielsen vibe.
You could try to read Asterix adventures, for example, for a better example of french humour.

Of course, if you want (and can ) go deeper, you should watch movies like "Les Tontons flingueurs" (Crooks in Clover), "Serial Lover", "Gazon Maudit" (French Twist), "Le bruit des glaçons" (The Clink of Ice).

I'll leave literature out of it because it's probably not your cup of tea, otherwise, you'd know better.

AliceAlcina

Learned
I'll leave literature out of it because it's probably not your cup of tea, otherwise, you'd know better.

Wrong. I based this on modern day French literature. It's classic polarization of once good culture. Don't get me wrong, I see this trend in various European (continental) literature, too. Just that French people go in great lengths to either be funny or superficial on purpose, turning their work into bleak boringness, OR to turn their work into Great ART, irrelevant what art in question is, making that art both irrelevant and bland.
Asterix creator either got lucky by picking great and relatively unique theme of his comics or he was passionate on his work. Or both.

Whether or not humor is Leslie Nielsen, it's still French.

I can't say about movies, I have no interest in them. I do read, in past more than now.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
The thing about modern literature is we don't know what's very good yet because only time will sort the good from the trendy mediocre ones.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom