Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News The Dungeon of Naheulbeuk releasing on August 27th

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Artefacts Studio; Dear Villagers; The Dungeon Of Naheulbeuk: The Amulet Of Chaos

One of the upcoming titles that participated in the Steam Game Festival last month was Artefacts Studio's parodic French tactical RPG The Dungeon of Naheulbeuk: The Amulet of Chaos. The game seems quite silly, but a number of our users who tried out the demo reported that its combat system and character building were actually pretty good. Yesterday the developers announced that Naheulbeuk was finally coming out on August 27th. They've put together a release date trailer introducing the game's seven stereotypical RPG character protagonists, each with their own distinct combat capabilities.

After a rather boring early year for RPGs (at least if you're not into Early Access games) it looks like we're starting to develop a lineup of actual releases. Which will be the best of them?

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
I am completely convinced now that Infi is taking bribes to make news posts about games.

Could be worse. Childishness aside, it looks like the sort of thing RPGCodex yearns for. I'd be curious to see more about the skills/spells, and the mechanics under the hood.

the_dagon

Educated
Looks like a good one to get for the kids
The original material, the french audio chronicle, is not really for kids, a little bit on the sarcastic side, many jokes are more directed on veteran tabletop RPG players, reminding player reactions when the GM put them in situations...

Naheulbeuk has its' own song band, with songs talking about barbarians running on body's guts into battles, a unconscious dwarf vomiting the water given by a faery, a troll preparing his meal by stuffing apples in an elf's butt... RPG players thinking about their fantasy world when work colleages are talking about soccer, ...

I hope the game will be able to capture the essence of the audio serie and won't become a child's play.

SausageInYourFace

Angelic Reinforcement
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
The goofiness isn't the issue but this looks pretty superficial. What is even the point of calling this an RPG if every player is going to end up with exactly the same party, exactly the same classes and exactly the same skills. That is the impression I got from the trailer.

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
The goofiness isn't the issue but this looks pretty superficial. What is even the point of calling this an RPG if every player is going to end up with exactly the same party, exactly the same classes and exactly the same skills. That is the impression I got from the trailer.

Hearsay since I didnt play the demo, but I think you are playing 8 units. the 7 known plus an eight thats made by a choice of 3. Also I have heard the skill and gear customisation is rather deep.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
This. It looks like a generic mobile game.

somewhatgiggly

Scholar
I'll keep an eye on it at the least. Dungeon crawlers and party builders are all well and good, but the journey is often the ticket....

Rafidur

Learned
I've played the demo and combat is very similar to XCOM 2, but slightly better.

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Reading that "Naheulbeuk is not for kids" reminds me that some people think the Sonic cartoons are also for grown ups.

Versive

Literate
Patron
I played about half way through the demo reconstituting a pre-defined party that had been divided by a Vulcan plot altering mechanism. The defined role of each character had a chess like feel to it. I'll give it credit for being easy on the eyes, mildly amusing dialog, and turn-based approach. I'm uncertain of the staying power of this one though - a predefined party along with crafted maps (vice dynamic) makes me wary of puzzles with the 'right' way to complete them.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom