Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Game News The Dungeon of Naheulbeuk releasing on August 27th

Discussion in 'News & Content Feedback' started by Infinitron, Jul 3, 2020.

1. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    RPG Wokedex Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Tags: Artefacts Studio; Dear Villagers; The Dungeon Of Naheulbeuk: The Amulet Of Chaos

One of the upcoming titles that participated in the Steam Game Festival last month was Artefacts Studio's parodic French tactical RPG The Dungeon of Naheulbeuk: The Amulet of Chaos. The game seems quite silly, but a number of our users who tried out the demo reported that its combat system and character building were actually pretty good. Yesterday the developers announced that Naheulbeuk was finally coming out on August 27th. They've put together a release date trailer introducing the game's seven stereotypical RPG character protagonists, each with their own distinct combat capabilities.

After a rather boring early year for RPGs (at least if you're not into Early Access games) it looks like we're starting to develop a lineup of actual releases. Which will be the best of them?

• Brofist x 5
    • Shit x 3
    • meh x 2
    • gimme dem dolla bills x 1
    • incline x 1
    • Yes x 1
    • Thanks! x 1
    • Informative x 1
    • Friendly x 1
    • it is a mystery x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Elhoim Iron Tower Studio Developer

Elhoim
    A Turn-Based dungeon crawler with 7 party members? Sounds interesting despite the goofiness.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • Shit Shit x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Metro Arcane Beg Auditor

Metro
    I am completely convinced now that Infi is taking bribes to make news posts about games.

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Agree Agree x 4
    • gimme dem dolla bills gimme dem dolla bills x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Mr. Magniloquent Arcane Patron

Mr. Magniloquent
    Could be worse. Childishness aside, it looks like the sort of thing RPGCodex yearns for. I'd be curious to see more about the skills/spells, and the mechanics under the hood.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Fabulously Optimistic Fabulously Optimistic x 2
    • Shit Shit x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. Thac0 Time Mage Patron

Thac0
    Bold of you to assume that the elitists here could look past an artstyle they dont like.

• Funny x 4
    • Brofist x 1
    • Agree x 1
    • Despair x 1
    • +20 Social Credit x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. the_dagon Educated

the_dagon
    The original material, the french audio chronicle, is not really for kids, a little bit on the sarcastic side, many jokes are more directed on veteran tabletop RPG players, reminding player reactions when the GM put them in situations...

Naheulbeuk has its' own song band, with songs talking about barbarians running on body's guts into battles, a unconscious dwarf vomiting the water given by a faery, a troll preparing his meal by stuffing apples in an elf's butt... RPG players thinking about their fantasy world when work colleages are talking about soccer, ...

I hope the game will be able to capture the essence of the audio serie and won't become a child's play.

• Fabulously Optimistic Fabulously Optimistic x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. jac8awol Savant

jac8awol
    Finally, the game that I would have craved 29 years ago!

• Funny Funny x 2
    ^ Top  
  8. Darkozric Learned

Darkozric
    Meh

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. SausageInYourFace Angelic Reinforcement Patron

SausageInYourFace
    Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    The goofiness isn't the issue but this looks pretty superficial. What is even the point of calling this an RPG if every player is going to end up with exactly the same party, exactly the same classes and exactly the same skills. That is the impression I got from the trailer.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. Thac0 Time Mage Patron

Thac0
    Hearsay since I didnt play the demo, but I think you are playing 8 units. the 7 known plus an eight thats made by a choice of 3. Also I have heard the skill and gear customisation is rather deep.

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. Metro Arcane Beg Auditor

Metro
    This. It looks like a generic mobile game.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Racist Racist x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. somewhatgiggly Learned

somewhatgiggly
    I'll keep an eye on it at the least. Dungeon crawlers and party builders are all well and good, but the journey is often the ticket....

^ Top  
  13. Rafidur Learned

Rafidur
    I've played the demo and combat is very similar to XCOM 2, but slightly better.

• Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. taxalot I'm a spicy fellow. Patron

taxalot
    Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
    Reading that "Naheulbeuk is not for kids" reminds me that some people think the Sonic cartoons are also for grown ups.

^ Top  
  15. baud Arcane Patron

baud
    RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    I'd say more for teen than kids

• Agree Agree x 1
    • cool story bro cool story bro x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. Lady_Retard █▓▒░ ░▒▓█ Patron

Lady_Retard
    Probably GOTY, considering the lack of competition.

• Fabulously Optimistic Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    • Shit Shit x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. croitav I hate 3D graphics

croitav
    3d gfx? Check
    Rotatable camera? Check
    Child art style? Check

Conclusion? Dogshit.

• Shit Shit x 2
    • Edgy Edgy x 1
    • (autism) (autism) x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. Norfleet Moderator

Norfleet
    "It tastes like shit, only better" isn't a very informative datapoint.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. Versive Literate Patron

Versive
    I played about half way through the demo reconstituting a pre-defined party that had been divided by a Vulcan plot altering mechanism. The defined role of each character had a chess like feel to it. I'll give it credit for being easy on the eyes, mildly amusing dialog, and turn-based approach. I'm uncertain of the staying power of this one though - a predefined party along with crafted maps (vice dynamic) makes me wary of puzzles with the 'right' way to complete them.

^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.