Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Elder Scrolls Online - gone B2P

Dawkinsfan69

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
Quick question about ESO: Why are the numbers so high for damage and hit points? This doesn't make sense to me and it's off-putting. My 3rd level spell does 1542hp of damage. It's like the old Italian lire, can't we just divide down everything by 100 and start over?

because the game scales such that it basically starts you out at max level

yeah it's stupid

a lot of things about this game are stupid, get used to it

ADL

Prophet
Quick question about ESO: Why are the numbers so high for damage and hit points? This doesn't make sense to me and it's off-putting. My 3rd level spell does 1542hp of damage. It's like the old Italian lire, can't we just divide down everything by 100 and start over?
It only gets worse the more you play at end-game. I'm not touching the game for that reason until they revamp the Champion Point system. It's a nightmare and the power creep is real despite the game being mostly horizontal progression.

because doing 1 MILLION damage is much better than doing only 10.

Squid

Arbiter
OH BOY OH BOY JUST LIKE YUGIOH, I CAN'T WAIT TO DEAL 10000 DIRECT HEALTH DAMAGES~!!!!

All numbers should be reduced to the lowest they can be in a system. If you're doing 25,000 points and the enemy has 100,000 health. Why don't you just do 25 to 100 instead? I feel like the tiny ass amount of damage that could exist beyond the second decimal point is fairly insignificant and you really don't need to show the player they're doing 25.15 damage when things like 25.5 or just 51 damage could work better.
Numbers with too high of values that are just number spam at that point only serve to either excite you or make you not think as much about the exact amount. No one (well some do, but we're talking general populace here) wants to see if 254,215 damage lines up with their equipment and stats perfectly compared to 25.4 damage. Just looks really inconvenient compared.

Codex Year of the Donut
reminds me of the original "mega-damage" proposal for WoW before they walked back on it.
https://worldofwarcraft.com/en-us/n...oler-the-great-item-squish-or-not-of-pandaria
Mega Damage
The first solution could include changes like adding commas and the like to large numbers. We could also compress all of those 1000s to Ks and all of those 1,000,000s to Ms, much like we do with boss health today. Internally, we have been calling this the “Mega Damage solution” because instead of your Fireball hitting for 6,000,000 damage, it would hit for 6 MEGA DAMAGE

ADL

Prophet
Skyrim expansion trailer no gameplay and no screenshots of the new zone don't know what the hell they're doing there but somehow they had an event in a e-sports arena without showing any gameplay footage.

https://www.elderscrollsonline.com/en-us/news/post/57529

Antiquities System

The new Chapter also features the all-new antiquities system. This in-game activity allows you to uncover lost artifacts scattered across Tamriel. As an up-and-coming archaeologist, you can scry the location of ancient relics and excavate them via a series of new minigames.

Unless they rework the champion point system, I'm not playing. The artifact system they're introducing isn't enough to bring me back. Maybe next year.

Last edited:

Generic-Giant-Spider

There's a fucking e-sports league for ESO? LOL

You guys gotta tell me if there's a Paperboy 2 e-sports league/championship one day.

ADL

Prophet
No there isn't a league for ESO, they just hosted the event there since it's Vegas and other venues are way more expensive.

Curratum

Just bought this for 10 buxx with Morrowind, Summerset and Elsweyr included. Game is pretty damn neat. Anyone in Europe who wants to buddy up for group dungeons or whatever, drop me a PM.

Codex Year of the Donut
how is the performance with the latest update?
are loading times improved? It's one of the major things that made me quit playing

Thane Solus

Arcane
how is the performance with the latest update?
are loading times improved? It's one of the major things that made me quit playing

Nop, they are almost the same for me, but some said they have saw some improvements. Its the worst mmo when it comes to Loading screens, on an average PC if you dont have an 1000mbs+ SSD, you get 10-20 secs per loading screen, and 30+ sec just to get to at first to character select screen. Their network and core programmers are probably trash, but the problem probably comes from making this with consoles in mind, which can fuck up things, and their servers are pure trash 60-100 ms all the time.

I recently started playing it again (after quiting in 2014 due to loading screens and other things), since i love the maps, quests are nice and the music is superb (dont like the scalling but at 160 CP u escape that trash). Crafting its decent, its ok to explore, do some quests, but loading screens are pissing me off so much. 10 sec loading screen to load a 5 square meter house , ZOS is the worst company out there. After playing SWTOR a little, these guys are incompetent. They make EA look good.

Dont expect anything remotely decent from their upcoming games, they are done. Just like Blizzard and others...

Norfleet

All numbers should be reduced to the lowest they can be in a system. If you're doing 25,000 points and the enemy has 100,000 health. Why don't you just do 25 to 100 instead?
Because inflation. This isn't the 1980s anymore, if you use 1980s numbers in your 2020 game, it just seems small and outdated.

Squid

Arbiter
YEAH BIG NUMBERS DUDE, WOW THAT WAS SOOOOOO EPIC MAN!!!!!!!! WHOA!!!!!!! THIS GUN DOES A GABZILIZLILLION DAMAGE! OH YEAH? MINE DOES A RABAGAZILIZLILLION DAMAGE!

:bounce:

Norfleet

I'm totally serious. Think back to the old 16-bit era in which the maximum money you could have was $32767. You tell a player today that the max money he can have is 30K, and how's he gonna react, given that 1980s 30K, adjusted for inflation, is like 2B today?

Squid

Arbiter
I just prefer to have numbers that are easier to work with in any game. Imagine if Bethesda made SPECIAL go from 100-1000 for no reason? And had things that could varyingly move something in between 500 and 600. But it could be like 505 or 578 or some dumb shit. Like why. What's the point? Especially if it's negligible effects on what's actually going to happen? It's just an excitement factor to me. It's also why middle school kids used to love YuGiOh more than Magic The Gathering. It's super COOL, EDGY, and you do LOTS OF DAMAGE.

Cyaniv

Barely Literate
Is there a good class if you want to hit / shoot / cast slowly but each attack is powerful and meaningful? I'm a few hours in and so far I'm finding the whole experience unbearably tedious, it feels like each fight is simply trading mosquito bites until the enemy dies.

Norfleet

I just prefer to have numbers that are easier to work with in any game. Imagine if Bethesda made SPECIAL go from 100-1000 for no reason?
Well, they can't, because SPECIAL is rooted in the numbers of the 90s. But Bethesda's own scores go from 0-100, but those ae an early 2000s game. Modern games, obviously, frequently have bigger stats. Because, like I said, inflation.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom